OK, so it's "official" as official can be after being promised a new avatar(s). New avatars have been more recently confirmed but many SMNs are damn well pissed off with not having them yet.
That being said, comparing the evidence and drawing them together shows the following:
* Fanfest 2007 - new avatarS (stressing plural) in the making.
* 1UP Interview (June 19 2008) - MG: First of all, as for new avatars, new summons, we can't say much yet. But we can say that there will be new summons, and yes, I said that in the plural. As for these new type of avatars that will be released. They will be a little bit different from the ones that already exist. They won't be as ability-based, or ability heavy. For example, the ones that we have now, they have like six or seven abilities per avatar. The new ones won't have as many.
*Fanfest 2008 - Gondai/Matsui/Ito: We are in the process of creating 2 new avatars. One will be a "Large big pet".
* Dengeki Interview (June 24 2009) - "long-awaited new Avatar is just around the corner"
First thing to note, the number has dropped to 1, most likely meaning the 2nd one will be released at a later date or has been scrapped. Since this idea of a new avatar(s) has been around since ToAU came out, it wouldn't be a far cry away from saying it'll be a ToAU summon, aka Odin and/or Alexander, which fits a "large big pet".
What abilities would this new avatar have? Well, you can already fight them:
* Casts Sleepga II, Breakga, Blindga, Bindga, Blizzard IV, Blizzaga III, Blizzaga IV, Slowga, Paralyga, and Dread Spikes
* Gagnrath: Front-AoE damage and Terror.
* Valfodr: AoE damage and Curse + Silence.
* Ofnir: AoE damage.
* Yggr: Gives Odin the ability to Intimidate players.
* Geirrothr: AoE damage similar to 10,000 Needles plus bind.
* Sanngetall: AoE damage and dispel that dispells all buffs.
AF* Zantetsuken: An Astral Flow like ability. Will be used when approximately 9% of his HP is remaining. This move will deal death to all members within a 30' radius around him.
* Casts Holy II, Diaga III, Dia III, Banishga III, and Banish IV.
* Divine Spear: Low Damage single target move which has an additional effect of attack -25%.
* Radiant Sacrament: Targeted AoE physical damage (200-400 damage), wipes Utsusemi and Additional Effect: Magic Defense Down.
* Mega Holy: Area of Effect light damage.
* Void of Repentance: Single target Terror for several (over 15) seconds.
* Gospel of the Lost: Heals Alexander for around 900-1100 HP and removes debuffs.
* Perfect Defense Complete immunity to magical, physical, and/or ranged attacks for a short period of time.
AF* Divine Judgment: AoE 1000+ damage with very large AoE radius
And in case you're an Cait Sith and/or Atomos fan..
* Regal Scratch: Single target damage.
* Divine Favor: Full Erase.
* Mewing Lullaby: AoE Sleep and TP reset.
* Eerie Eye: Amnesia and Silence.
* Level ? Holy: AOE Holy. This is die-based (1-6), dealing anywhere from 300 to in excess of 2000 damage.
Soul Vacuum: AoE All stats down.
Soul Infusion: Grants drained stats to Summoner
What do you think we'll get when that glorious day finally arrives?
Edited, Aug 14th 2009 10:32am by kegsay