OK, so it's "official" as official can be after being promised a new avatar(s). New avatars have been more recently confirmed but many SMNs are **** well **** off with not having them yet.
That being said, comparing the evidence and drawing them together shows the following:
* Fanfest 2007 - new avatarS (stressing plural) in the making.
* 1UP Interview (June 19 2008) - MG: First of all, as for new avatars, new summons, we can't say much yet. But we can say that there will be new summons, and yes, I said that in the plural. As for these new type of avatars that will be released. They will be a little bit different from the ones that already exist. They won't be as ability-based, or ability heavy. For example, the ones that we have now, they have like six or seven abilities per avatar. The new ones won't have as many.
*Fanfest 2008 - Gondai/Matsui/Ito: We are in the process of creating 2 new avatars. One will be a "Large big pet".
* Dengeki Interview (June 24 2009) - "long-awaited new Avatar is just around the corner"
First thing to note, the number has dropped to 1, most likely meaning the 2nd one will be released at a later date or has been scrapped. Since this idea of a new avatar(s) has been around since ToAU came out, it wouldn't be a far cry away from saying it'll be a ToAU summon, aka Odin and/or Alexander, which fits a "large big pet".
What abilities would this new avatar have? Well, you can already fight them:
* Casts Sleepga II, Breakga, Blindga, Bindga, Blizzard IV, Blizzaga III, Blizzaga IV, Slowga, Paralyga, and Dread Spikes
* Gagnrath: Front-AoE damage and Terror.
* Valfodr: AoE damage and Curse + Silence.
* Ofnir: AoE damage.
* Yggr: Gives Odin the ability to Intimidate players.
* Geirrothr: AoE damage similar to 10,000 Needles plus bind.
* Sanngetall: AoE damage and dispel that dispells all buffs.
AF* Zantetsuken: An Astral Flow like ability. Will be used when approximately 9% of his HP is remaining. This move will deal death to all members within a 30' radius around him.
* Casts Holy II, Diaga III, Dia III, Banishga III, and Banish IV.
* Divine Spear: Low Damage single target move which has an additional effect of attack -25%.
* Radiant Sacrament: Targeted AoE physical damage (200-400 damage), wipes Utsusemi and Additional Effect: Magic Defense Down.
* Mega Holy: Area of Effect light damage.
* Void of Repentance: Single target Terror for several (over 15) seconds.
* Gospel of the Lost: Heals Alexander for around 900-1100 HP and removes debuffs.
* Perfect Defense Complete immunity to magical, physical, and/or ranged attacks for a short period of time.
AF* Divine Judgment: AoE 1000+ damage with very large AoE radius
And in case you're an Cait Sith and/or Atomos fan..
* Regal Scratch: Single target damage.
* Divine Favor: Full Erase.
* Mewing Lullaby: AoE Sleep and TP reset.
* Eerie Eye: Amnesia and Silence.
* Level ? Holy: AOE Holy. This is die-based (1-6), dealing anywhere from 300 to in excess of 2000 damage.
Soul Vacuum: AoE All stats down.
Soul Infusion: Grants drained stats to Summoner
What do you think we'll get when that glorious day finally arrives?
Edited, Aug 14th 2009 10:32am by kegsay