Ok Kao. My mother broke their computer again. I went over there... they have Spybot up, and their IE is compltely FUBAR'ed. I was able to nuke and restore some stuff to their registry that openend up the homepage choices on Internet options, and got rid of the line about the webpage it was trying to filter any manual entries through...
Basically it used to be:
Type in webpage or hit link.
It would try and run it through another page, probably ads in a framed page or something.
It would time out with a DNS error.
I nuked the webpage frame site thing from the registry.
I checked the TCP/IP options, and there were DNS selections chosen, so I changed it back to autodetect.
Its still getting DNS errors though.
They can get email.
AV software will not update because of the HTTP location.