Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Where to finish Polearm?Follow

#1 Dec 18 2009 at 7:51 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
869 posts
I have been working on leveling up my Polearm for use in meritting on birds on Sam or War. I am currently level 190. I have been in Kuftal Tunnel skilling up solo, but am not getting any more skill ups. I was wondering where to finish off and when I can viably use Polearm in a Merit party. Also, how much Acc am I going to need to pull Polearm off on Sam or War with no Merits in it, no torques, and eating Crab Sushi? Thanks and happy friday... Or as I like to refer to it, Tuesday, or "Drunk 40 year old women are coming to my bar to make my night more miserable" night... :P
____________________________
Nightbird- Bismarck Server
194 Merits
75WAR:75RNG:75THF:75MNK:75DRK:75NIN:75SAM:68BLM
ZM-Bushi,PM-Rajas,AU-Uthalam's
Merits: 8 G.Axe, 8 GKT, 4 Archery, 4 Crit Hit, 4 DA, 3/3 Bergressor, 5 WC, 2 Savagery, 1 Tomahawk, 3 Rapid Shot, 1 Snapshot, 4 Store TP, 4 Meditate Recast
Sam TP: http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?198904
Sam WS: http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?193470
War TP: http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?198905
War WS: http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?137809
#2 Dec 18 2009 at 9:45 AM Rating: Good
*
86 posts
The Boyahda Tree on Steelshells is the first place that comes to mind for me.

And you use Polearm on Pink Tucan Sam.
____________________________
Fenrir.Mauddib
THF99 > NIN99 > WAR99
#3 Dec 18 2009 at 9:54 AM Rating: Decent
*
151 posts
Depending on gear and friends / LS, you can get to 360 acc (up to 375 with very good gear spamming sushi) and go to birds camp.



Edited, Apr 18th 2010 1:29am by Taurusrexx
#4 Dec 18 2009 at 12:02 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
6,481 posts
I wonder if he realizes "happy friday" means something completely different on alla?
____________________________
Quote:
I don't believe in good guys versus bad guys anymore… I only see a plethora of states acting in self interest… with varying ethics and moral standards of course, but self-interest nonetheless
Winston Churchill wrote:
Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things
#5 Dec 18 2009 at 2:28 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
869 posts
Quote:
I wonder if he realizes "happy friday" means something completely different on alla?


Ya sorry, i've been out of the know for awhile so I'll try to get sped up on all the updates I've missed. Lol

Quote:
Depending on gear and friends / LS, you can get to 360 acc (up to 375 with very good gear spamming sushi) and go to birds camp.

You'll start at around 72% acc (360 acc) and move up to cap. I am not **** about doing max xp at birds, so I don't mind when less optimal LS builds are in the PT, but some people do care.

I think you'd be capped in about an hour, and IMO, a 72% polearm sam still is a nice DD at birds compared to what is often there. Still, its an ethical thing to some.


So is this with the 190 skill? Just see if I can go to a merit party and finish it off? I do have some decent gear and can make a good acc/atk build for my Penta Spam. I guess I'll just sub in more acc gear into my haste build until I hit a reasonable acc.
____________________________
Nightbird- Bismarck Server
194 Merits
75WAR:75RNG:75THF:75MNK:75DRK:75NIN:75SAM:68BLM
ZM-Bushi,PM-Rajas,AU-Uthalam's
Merits: 8 G.Axe, 8 GKT, 4 Archery, 4 Crit Hit, 4 DA, 3/3 Bergressor, 5 WC, 2 Savagery, 1 Tomahawk, 3 Rapid Shot, 1 Snapshot, 4 Store TP, 4 Meditate Recast
Sam TP: http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?198904
Sam WS: http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?193470
War TP: http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?198905
War WS: http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?137809
#6 Dec 18 2009 at 2:30 PM Rating: Excellent
Sage
Avatar
*****
10,813 posts
NightbirdX wrote:
I have been working on leveling up my Polearm for use in meritting on birds on Sam or War. I am currently level 190. I have been in Kuftal Tunnel skilling up solo, but am not getting any more skill ups. I was wondering where to finish off and when I can viably use Polearm in a Merit party. Also, how much Acc am I going to need to pull Polearm off on Sam or War with no Merits in it, no torques, and eating Crab Sushi? Thanks and happy friday... Or as I like to refer to it, Tuesday, or "Drunk 40 year old women are coming to my bar to make my night more miserable" night... :P


steelshells or mandies should be fine. if you have /DNC you'll have no troubles (/NIN too of course).

as for ACC, instead of thinking about how much you'll need, think about how much you're likely to get. with 240 skill and 65DEX (75 elvaan SAM/WAR), you start with 284 ACC (294 if you're SAM/DRG from passive ACC bonus trait, which is better than /WAR only if you'll be getting 2x minuet, ie 2 BRD party, or chaos roll). haub, haidate, rajas bump that up to 313. hasso (full time it!! only drop in emergencies) makes it 323. your profile says you have tiphia and c.chain, so we're at 320. if you don't have swift belt (and won't be getting speed/velocious), you should get it, and now it's 323. brutal is in one ear, while the other should be fowling if you're /WAR (which you usually would be) so we're at 326. tomoe brings us to 331. ulthalam and we get 335.

add crab sushi and we top off at around 378. lv82 birds have 367 effective EVA, so your hit rate will be around 80%. that's not so good. how can we get this higher? usu sune-ate bumps it to 385~. PCC and we're at 390~. cuchulain's mantle gets is to 398~. haub+1, +7ACC ring, black tathlum get us above 400~, which is more or less the target. /DRG isn't that helpful, since you lose 2 DEX and the fowling earring.

if i'm correctly guessing your gear, i think you'll want to invest in PCC and cuchulain's (which of course will benefit several of your other jobs). haub+1 is an option, though if i were you i think i'd get a toreador first (doesn't make a huge difference which you get i guess, unless the prices are drastically different). unless b.tathlum has gone way down, i think that's a late, late upgrade.

it's debatable whether or not you should even be a polearm SAM with 378 ACC. the PCC and cuchulain's would seal the deal i think, and other little upgrades would be pretty helpful as well. don't even think about wearing askar korazin.

----

edit: if you're taking off, say, turban and fumas and putting on ohat and amir boots to make polearm work, you're going down the wrong path. it is only worthwhile if you don't drop more than 1 slot of haste (hands probably necessary for 5-hit; your 5hit--+19~ sTP with 5/5 merits--should be rajas + brutal + hachiman hands + rose strap [+c.chain]). this isn't situational at all; polearm is just worse if you're not using the haste.

Edited, Dec 18th 2009 3:44pm by milich
____________________________
pahn
retired monk

i wish to be the red comet.
#7 Dec 18 2009 at 2:43 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
869 posts
Thanks Milich, I do have a PCC, I just have been using the Chiv Chain for my GKT build. I'll swap in the PCC and look into getting a Chuch Mantle and keep at my Haub +1, I have been working at getting a haub +1 for a long while. I just need to find an LS or a good farming system to get me some loot! :p
____________________________
Nightbird- Bismarck Server
194 Merits
75WAR:75RNG:75THF:75MNK:75DRK:75NIN:75SAM:68BLM
ZM-Bushi,PM-Rajas,AU-Uthalam's
Merits: 8 G.Axe, 8 GKT, 4 Archery, 4 Crit Hit, 4 DA, 3/3 Bergressor, 5 WC, 2 Savagery, 1 Tomahawk, 3 Rapid Shot, 1 Snapshot, 4 Store TP, 4 Meditate Recast
Sam TP: http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?198904
Sam WS: http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?193470
War TP: http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?198905
War WS: http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?137809
#8 Dec 18 2009 at 2:47 PM Rating: Good
Sage
Avatar
*****
10,813 posts
NightbirdX wrote:
Thanks Milich, I do have a PCC, I just have been using the Chiv Chain for my GKT build. I'll swap in the PCC and look into getting a Chuch Mantle and keep at my Haub +1, I have been working at getting a haub +1 for a long while. I just need to find an LS or a good farming system to get me some loot! :p


good luck. if you're not doing this on a weekly basis, i'd suggest starting. i'm sure you could find a BRD and a RDM who wouldn't mind a decent shot at 1m/person every week.
____________________________
pahn
retired monk

i wish to be the red comet.
#9 Dec 18 2009 at 3:01 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
869 posts
Quote:
good luck. if you're not doing this on a weekly basis, i'd suggest starting. i'm sure you could find a BRD and a RDM who wouldn't mind a decent shot at 1m/person every week.


Ya when I get into an ls, I'll be looking at doing things to make more loot. Since none of my old ENM mates play anymore.
____________________________
Nightbird- Bismarck Server
194 Merits
75WAR:75RNG:75THF:75MNK:75DRK:75NIN:75SAM:68BLM
ZM-Bushi,PM-Rajas,AU-Uthalam's
Merits: 8 G.Axe, 8 GKT, 4 Archery, 4 Crit Hit, 4 DA, 3/3 Bergressor, 5 WC, 2 Savagery, 1 Tomahawk, 3 Rapid Shot, 1 Snapshot, 4 Store TP, 4 Meditate Recast
Sam TP: http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?198904
Sam WS: http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?193470
War TP: http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?198905
War WS: http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?137809
#10 Dec 19 2009 at 6:48 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
869 posts
So what skill level is it generally excepted that I'll be able to use Polearm? I haven't had luck in getting any skill up parties and have capped out the soloable places. I don't want to take it to a merit party and **** people off. Thanks
____________________________
Nightbird- Bismarck Server
194 Merits
75WAR:75RNG:75THF:75MNK:75DRK:75NIN:75SAM:68BLM
ZM-Bushi,PM-Rajas,AU-Uthalam's
Merits: 8 G.Axe, 8 GKT, 4 Archery, 4 Crit Hit, 4 DA, 3/3 Bergressor, 5 WC, 2 Savagery, 1 Tomahawk, 3 Rapid Shot, 1 Snapshot, 4 Store TP, 4 Meditate Recast
Sam TP: http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?198904
Sam WS: http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?193470
War TP: http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?198905
War WS: http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?137809
#11 Dec 19 2009 at 7:37 PM Rating: Excellent
Sage
Avatar
*****
10,813 posts
NightbirdX wrote:
So what skill level is it generally excepted that I'll be able to use Polearm? I haven't had luck in getting any skill up parties and have capped out the soloable places. I don't want to take it to a merit party and **** people off. Thanks


since even capped your ACC and ATT will be pretty low... have you tried pucks in den of rancor? seigan + /DNC should make them pretty survivable, and you fight just inside the zone (and to the right). they're piercing weak too, if you need to kill it fast b/c something's going wrong. another good thing about them is that you can zone off the Ts and have them repop as a different level. i finished guard on pucks;;.
____________________________
pahn
retired monk

i wish to be the red comet.
#12 Dec 20 2009 at 3:08 AM Rating: Good
1 post
You can also level-up in besiege - bring sushi, ohat with your pcc. You'll level around 5 per besiege, maybe a bit more at 190.
#13 Dec 20 2009 at 6:29 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
899 posts
Quote:
So what skill level is it generally excepted that I'll be able to use Polearm? I haven't had luck in getting any skill up parties and have capped out the soloable places. I don't want to take it to a merit party and **** people off. Thanks


I'd cap it before meriting with it. EM Steelshells in the tree should be soloable for you as SAM/DNC, I don't have a problem with them. Just get a TP buffer on a Robber Crab and ride Seigan/Third Eye.

Edited, Dec 20th 2009 7:35am by Dudester
____________________________
Watusa of Lakshmi

svlyons wrote:
Same sorta thing with Watusa. I saw him fishing on the ferry one time. It felt like a hollywood celebrity sighting.
#14 Dec 20 2009 at 6:38 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
869 posts
Cool guys thanks for the advice.
____________________________
Nightbird- Bismarck Server
194 Merits
75WAR:75RNG:75THF:75MNK:75DRK:75NIN:75SAM:68BLM
ZM-Bushi,PM-Rajas,AU-Uthalam's
Merits: 8 G.Axe, 8 GKT, 4 Archery, 4 Crit Hit, 4 DA, 3/3 Bergressor, 5 WC, 2 Savagery, 1 Tomahawk, 3 Rapid Shot, 1 Snapshot, 4 Store TP, 4 Meditate Recast
Sam TP: http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?198904
Sam WS: http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?193470
War TP: http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?198905
War WS: http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?137809
#15 Dec 21 2009 at 3:03 AM Rating: Decent
**
366 posts
Can also skill up in dynamis, limbus, and nyzul runs if you do any of those things.
____________________________
Monk- http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?103586
http://xess.19.forumer.com/ ~ Sky shell ~ Run by someone else now, Not myself or Noodless. Visit the forum for more info.
http://www.ffxiah.com/player.php?id=381013
#16 Dec 21 2009 at 4:00 AM Rating: Good
*
80 posts
This is my current Build.

Tomoe/pole//tiphia
Askar/PCC/Fowling/Brutal
Haub+1/Hachiman/sniper/rajas
NQ Amemet/swift/bhaidate/fumas

Note: my NQ amemet mantle has an augment with +3 acc

I'm 4/8 in Polearm and 5/5 in Store TP.

Since I'm a taru (thats 68 base dex), with this current build and hasso on it would leave me around 369 accuracy (77%) on birds. Eating crab sushi leaves me with 416 accuracy (95%).

So my question are:
Is it normal to depend on sushi to make polearm build viably? Because even with usu feet, toreador ring and Cuchulain's Mantle that would leave me with 384 accuracy (85%).

And how much stp do i need with tomoe to reach a 5-hit build considering my current setup ?


thank you all
#17 Dec 21 2009 at 5:08 AM Rating: Good
Sage
Avatar
*****
10,813 posts
wheeeels wrote:
This is my current Build.

Tomoe/pole//tiphia
Askar/PCC/Fowling/Brutal
Haub+1/Hachiman/sniper/rajas
NQ Amemet/swift/bhaidate/fumas

Note: my NQ amemet mantle has an augment with +3 acc

I'm 4/8 in Polearm and 5/5 in Store TP.

Since I'm a taru (thats 68 base dex), with this current build and hasso on it would leave me around 369 accuracy (77%) on birds. Eating crab sushi leaves me with 416 accuracy (95%).

So my question are:
Is it normal to depend on sushi to make polearm build viably? Because even with usu feet, toreador ring and Cuchulain's Mantle that would leave me with 384 accuracy (85%).

And how much stp do i need with tomoe to reach a 5-hit build considering my current setup ?


thank you all


yes, it's totally normal to depend on crab sushi for polearm. berserk helps a lot if there's no COR or second BRD pumping you up with ATT, and if there is, you can /DRG.

+19 sTP (after 5/5 merits) is a "true 5-hit", meaning you need only land the 1st hit of penta. 480 weapons give 13 TP/hit. traits and merits give you 35 sTP. 19 more means 13 * 1.54 = 20.0 TP/hit. note also, sTP applies to additional hits in WS (so with 54 sTP, the additional penta hits give back 1.5 TP/hit).

sTP    TP/hit      WS hits required to land 
54     20.0        1 
53     19.8        2 
52     19.7        2 
51     19.6        3 
50     19.5        3 
49     19.3        4 
48     19.2        4 
47     19.1        4 
46     18.9        5


you've got 14 sTP in gear. so, 19.3 TP/hit, and needing 4 hits to land to get a 5hit (not so good). 19.3 * 4 = 77.2, meaning WSs need to give you 22.8 TP. of course, you can get that from 4 landed hits (19.3 + 1.4*3 = 23.5). to get it down to 2 hits, you need 53 sTP, so +18 in gear. rajas and brutal cut out 6, so you need 12. hachiman hands+feet can do that, or hachiman domaru + other. i leave finding the best stat mix to you.

note, rose strap solves all your problems. also, ecphoria ring instead of sniper would mean you need 22 TP from your penta thrusts. i'm getting tired, so i leave discovery of how much sTP you need on WS to you.


edit: p.s. you should be able to infer from what i wrote how i did everything, if you didn't already know. i may have made some errors, so i strongly suggest checking over the math if any of this is useful to you (or someone else double checking to be helpful).

Edited, Dec 21st 2009 6:15am by milich
____________________________
pahn
retired monk

i wish to be the red comet.
#18 Dec 21 2009 at 9:50 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
869 posts
Is Hachiman Domaru good for Penta Thrust?
____________________________
Nightbird- Bismarck Server
194 Merits
75WAR:75RNG:75THF:75MNK:75DRK:75NIN:75SAM:68BLM
ZM-Bushi,PM-Rajas,AU-Uthalam's
Merits: 8 G.Axe, 8 GKT, 4 Archery, 4 Crit Hit, 4 DA, 3/3 Bergressor, 5 WC, 2 Savagery, 1 Tomahawk, 3 Rapid Shot, 1 Snapshot, 4 Store TP, 4 Meditate Recast
Sam TP: http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?198904
Sam WS: http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?193470
War TP: http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?198905
War WS: http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?137809
#19 Dec 21 2009 at 10:06 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
6,481 posts
NightbirdX wrote:
Is Hachiman Domaru good for Penta Thrust?
Haub(+1) is better (if you don't need sTP)

Edited, Dec 21st 2009 11:11pm by shintasama
____________________________
Quote:
I don't believe in good guys versus bad guys anymore… I only see a plethora of states acting in self interest… with varying ethics and moral standards of course, but self-interest nonetheless
Winston Churchill wrote:
Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 19 All times are in CDT
Anonymous Guests (19)