Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

the hachiman domaru setFollow

#1 May 25 2009 at 11:01 PM Rating: Decent
40 posts
ok i just hit 70 yesterday and i also got tachi gekko

at this time I am wearing a hauby (cuz everyone says you need a hauby)
and i have Okote R/e version (cuz everyone says i needed it for sam)
and woodmans rings (cuz everyone said its these or nothing)
you get where i'm going with this.

I think i am a pretty damn good samurai. I was super excited to get all my AF gear. i wore it for days cuz i felt so good. I know i'm not the best nor will i be the best in my server
when I looked ahead at the AH I saw the hachiman set coming up so i decided to farm and save up for the whole thing.

now i cant wait to put on the hachiman set but my friend keeps telling me if i go ahead and do this i will be laughed off the server. wtf! what is wrong with wanting to use a new set of gear. god forbid i stray from the norm. god forbid i dont follow guides and charts that say 'its our way or the highway' >_< i realize there are ppl that have gone through this game and back and have found the best combonations for each job,(btw mad props for these guys,thank you) but damn it! if those pieces of gear are the only choices then wth do we have a HUGE SELECTION of gear in the AH to choice from????

with or without this set on I will still be the same samurai I was the day before. I use my ws when I have the tp, mediate when i dont have the tp, i use the kind of foods that suit me, try to keep my weapons capped, try to stay on top of the fight, make SCs when I can, voke when needed, 2hr when needed. try to do the best that i can.

if I feel that the whole set isn't the way to go then that should be my decision right? I'll make adjustments when I can afford them.

but really fellas have you ever kicked a person off a party just by looking at their gear before they even have a chance to fight??

sorry for the rantiness of this post...it just errks sometimes ya know
#2 May 25 2009 at 11:13 PM Rating: Excellent
Sage
Avatar
*****
10,813 posts
TheJoe wrote:
ok i just hit 70 yesterday and i also got tachi gekko

at this time I am wearing a hauby (cuz everyone says you need a hauby)
and i have Okote R/e version (cuz everyone says i needed it for sam)
and woodmans rings (cuz everyone said its these or nothing)
you get where i'm going with this.

I think i am a pretty damn good samurai. I was super excited to get all my AF gear. i wore it for days cuz i felt so good. I know i'm not the best nor will i be the best in my server
when I looked ahead at the AH I saw the hachiman set coming up so i decided to farm and save up for the whole thing.

now i cant wait to put on the hachiman set but my friend keeps telling me if i go ahead and do this i will be laughed off the server. wtf! what is wrong with wanting to use a new set of gear. god forbid i stray from the norm. god forbid i dont follow guides and charts that say 'its our way or the highway' >_< i realize there are ppl that have gone through this game and back and have found the best combonations for each job,(btw mad props for these guys,thank you) but damn it! if those pieces of gear are the only choices then wth do we have a HUGE SELECTION of gear in the AH to choice from????

with or without this set on I will still be the same samurai I was the day before. I use my ws when I have the tp, mediate when i dont have the tp, i use the kind of foods that suit me, try to keep my weapons capped, try to stay on top of the fight, make SCs when I can, voke when needed, 2hr when needed. try to do the best that i can.

if I feel that the whole set isn't the way to go then that should be my decision right? I'll make adjustments when I can afford them.

but really fellas have you ever kicked a person off a party just by looking at their gear before they even have a chance to fight??

sorry for the rantiness of this post...it just errks sometimes ya know


it's your decision whether you keep the gear, but those numbers listed on each piece of gear you get actually do something. you could find out what if you want. it actually impacts how well you do your job as a SAM, and therefore how much you help the people you party with. if you do it your own way by wearing trash, that means "your own way" is "the way whereby i let everyone i play with down." sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

my advice is to learn what stats do (or if you're too lazy to do that, follow "the norm" and do it b/c it's "the norm" since this at least has a better shot of ending you up in good gear than does simply choosing things at random). equip yourself, merit, and choose your food in virtue of what stats do. if you really like collecting new pieces of gear like artifact and hachiman, by all means do so. wear it around town, wear it for some easy soloing stuff, wear it in your mog house. but try to gear for performance when other people are depending on you.

speaking of which, if you are a gear collector, dynamis is probably a good event for you if you have time. there's situational uses for some of SAM's relic armor (particularly the hands), it looks cool, and it should be easy to get.

p.s. if you're trolling, it's repetitive and uninspired. a flame war is not going to break out over it.
____________________________
pahn
retired monk

i wish to be the red comet.
#3 May 25 2009 at 11:15 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
****
9,209 posts
TheJoe wrote:
but really fellas have you ever kicked a person off a party just by looking at their gear before they even have a chance to fight??

No... but if you're the type of person who use town gear as fighting gear, expect you got kicked from my party in 2-3 fights.

Yes, blame the game design. Too bad this game is party-centric for most of the part where if one not doing optimally means the whole party won't work optimally.

If you do your own stuff, no one other than jackass will laugh at you for using the whole set.

Edited, May 26th 2009 12:16am by VZX
____________________________
Princess ThePsychoticOne wrote:
int stands for int.

#4 May 25 2009 at 11:27 PM Rating: Good
*
130 posts
TheJoe wrote:
but really fellas have you ever kicked a person off a party just by looking at their gear before they even have a chance to fight??


Nope. But just because I cannot know if the things they wear before fighting are their town gear or such. But oh boy if someone (melee job) dares to start and keeps fighting with full AF for example, it won't be long when I already have a replacement coming for the player. And that is, because I know how they will perform. I dare to say that gear in this game matters much more than so called skill, at least when we're talking about melee DD jobs.

Will you be able to do some damage as a full AF melee wearing STR rings and other NQ stuff like that, if you're playing aggressive enough? Sure. Will that guy in his HQ sh*t outdamage you even if he is playing a bit lazier game on that moment? Most likely yes. You get the point.
____________________________
Stupified.
#5 May 25 2009 at 11:50 PM Rating: Excellent
Sage
Avatar
*****
10,813 posts
i don't usually kick bad players (someone who joins a party in 5/5 hachiman and full-times it is a bad player), but i remember them and never invite them again. i also warn others about their sh*ttiness, not to humiliate or punish the bad player but to save my friends from suffering through a bad party or letting a really sh*tty player into their ls.
____________________________
pahn
retired monk

i wish to be the red comet.
#6 May 26 2009 at 12:58 AM Rating: Good
Sage
***
2,865 posts
milich wrote:
i don't usually kick bad players (someone who joins a party in 5/5 hachiman and full-times it is a bad player), but i remember them and never invite them again. i also warn others about their sh*ttiness, not to humiliate or punish the bad player but to save my friends from suffering through a bad party or letting a really sh*tty player into their ls.


Exactly. I'll deal with a sub-par DD in an exp party for a bit, then I'll politely disband the party (likely earlier than I otherwise would have). I'm not gonna be that ass who starts kicking people from the party for not having the best gear, or for missing a commonly used piece for your job. As long as you're a pleasant enough person, fine. Have crappy gear, I'm OK with that.

But I will remember you if you're THAT guy who comes and wears 5/5 Hachiman, or the person who is using full AF. Other people in the party probably will too. If we're trying to get one more DD for a Nyzul Isle run and you ask to come, I will not invite you if I remember you. If I'm putting together a party and see you seeking, I'm not going to ask you to party. I'll let my friends know you're not very good and don't make wise decisions. If you end up asking to join an event LS that I'm in, you're starting off at a disadvantage with me.
____________________________
Anza: Titan 2004-2011 / Capuchin: Phoenix 2011-???
#7 May 26 2009 at 7:26 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
6,481 posts
I'll consider kicking someone just for owning 5/5 Hachiman.

People can go on about snowflake BS all they want, but at the end of the day my tailored gear/playstyle lets me do 4x+ the dmg of someone who doesn't know what they're doing. It matters.
____________________________
Quote:
I don't believe in good guys versus bad guys anymore… I only see a plethora of states acting in self interest… with varying ethics and moral standards of course, but self-interest nonetheless
Winston Churchill wrote:
Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things
#8 May 26 2009 at 9:15 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
828 posts
i own the full set of +1. and with the exception of idling in wg or random runny/gosomewherey type stuff i dont think ive ever wore the whole lot at once.

the closest would probably be 3/5 on a /rng sidewinder build for the extra wsacc. the only pieces that really see use in exp regualarly are feet + hands.

love my +1 feet str+3 and wsacc good for pretty much any ws :D hagun tomoe shigetto bow. <3 my shoes. hands are key to my 6hit so they get used more than the rest of it.

i'd never tp/ws in all 5 pieces of it though lol. if you really want to look nice dat swap it all. make ya fumas look like sune-ate and ya haub look like domaru and then you get the best of both worlds. look good and play well :D
____________________________


#9 May 26 2009 at 1:11 PM Rating: Good
40 posts
so you guys are saying. Wear whatever pleases me for soloing/downtime but when its time to get to the nitty gritty, then come ready to rock and roll?
If thats what you guys mean then I totally understand. I forgot to mention that the other reason I wanted to wear this particular set was I 'visually' dont like to miss match gear. ^^; but obviously have to when I must.

If there was a way to augment the set to make it better, do you think they would be accepted amongst the community?

btw here is what I'm currently using for sam. I believe it is acceptable
http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?164037

Edited, May 26th 2009 5:15pm by TheJoe
#10 May 26 2009 at 1:55 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
9,209 posts
Yeah, certainly
use whatever you want whenever you're not poking anything. But when you do, use the right ones to do the job.
____________________________
Princess ThePsychoticOne wrote:
int stands for int.

#11ActionJaxen, Posted: May 27 2009 at 12:28 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) I'm sure there are going to be gear nazis who are going to rate me down for saying this, but @#%^ them. ^_^
#12 May 27 2009 at 1:38 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
623 posts
The Hachiman set has many useful pieces. I use the gloves and feet full time for a 6 hit build, the head for WSs. I use the pants as a Sidewinder piece. Many use the body for WSs.

But do keep TPing in the Hauby.
____________________________
Chanti
Clothcraft 97 +3
Samurai 75
Monk 66
All around flirt
#13 May 27 2009 at 4:42 PM Rating: Good
Sage
***
2,026 posts
Quote:
now i cant wait to put on the hachiman set but my friend keeps telling me if i go ahead and do this i will be laughed off the server. wtf! what is wrong with wanting to use a new set of gear. god forbid i stray from the norm. god forbid i dont follow guides and charts that say 'its our way or the highway' >_< i realize there are ppl that have gone through this game and back and have found the best combonations for each job,(btw mad props for these guys,thank you) but damn it! if those pieces of gear are the only choices then wth do we have a HUGE SELECTION of gear in the AH to choice from????


See, here is the thing about Domaru. There is a whole discussion in the thread about why people hate SAM (or at least hate all the excessive hype surrounding it). In my linkshell, it has become understood that a fulltime Domaru SAM is a bandwagon SAM, because they are basically riding on the hype of the job alone, rather than making wise decisions about gear. Not to mention the agreed about alternative to Domaru, Haub, is so much more affordable than it was years ago.

And nothing irks the Haidate-less more than to see a Domaru SAM with Haidate.
Quote:

It's not the gear that makes the SAM, but how the SAM uses what he has. If you like a particular gear set or just don't like having to see yourself flash off the screen every weaponskill, try getting good accessories to compensate for the chinks in your chosen armor (i.e. rings, earrings, waist, etc). I think you're off to a good start with Chivalrous Chain and Amemet Mantle (upgrade to +1 when you get the money).


That not compensating. The SAM wearing the right body armor is not barred from using all those things.

Edited, May 27th 2009 8:45pm by Ketaru
____________________________
李張明 85/ RDM BST SCH
#14 May 27 2009 at 11:55 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
372 posts
Ketaru wrote:
And nothing irks the Haidate-less more than to see a Domaru SAM with Haidate.

This Haidate-less SAM can attest to this comment.
____________________________
The wise warrior will fight until he can no longer win; while the foolish warrior will never stop fighting.

MouserRDM wrote:

People think Dark Knights are the emo-boys of FFXI.

They ain't got nothin' on us Blue Mages. We kill monsters, eat their souls, and we don't even use barbecue sauce. And we're still hungry.

We're bastards.
#15 May 28 2009 at 12:44 AM Rating: Excellent
Sage
Avatar
*****
10,813 posts
ActionJaxen wrote:
just don't like having to see yourself flash off the screen every weaponskill,


if you do not use gear swaps that make you flash in final fantasy xi, you are a bad player and should quit the game. if the lack of realism is what bothers you, IT'S A MAGICAL GAME ABOUT MONSTERS AND CRYSTALS.

edit: at 75* i mean.

Edited, May 28th 2009 4:45am by milich
____________________________
pahn
retired monk

i wish to be the red comet.
#16 May 28 2009 at 1:42 AM Rating: Excellent
***
2,285 posts
I actually hit the green arrow after reading the first half of your post, then wished I could take it back after reading your attitude after that.

No. Just because it's "new gear" doesn't make it better,

shintasama wrote:
I'll consider kicking someone just for owning 5/5 Hachiman.

People can go on about snowflake BS all they want, but at the end of the day my tailored gear/playstyle lets me do 4x+ the dmg of someone who doesn't know what they're doing. It matters.


LOL, really, I laughed. So true.

Honest advice:

TheJoe wrote:
with or without this set on I will still be the same samurai I was the day before. I use my ws when I have the tp, mediate when i dont have the tp, i use the kind of foods that suit me, try to keep my weapons capped, try to stay on top of the fight, make SCs when I can, voke when needed, 2hr when needed. try to do the best that i can.


Nah, you really won't be the same SAM you were the day before. You will gain no acc from the full Hachiman set, which matters. Sure, you'll gain some STP which will be more than negated by your lowered acc.

You know what, it's late. I don't feel like writing out a detailed response to this anymore cuz I'm tired and need sleep.

tl;dr Hachiman set sucks. Use the hands/feet if you need a 6-hit once you hit 75. Before that, use whatever you did pre-70. Haste/acc set > 6-hit before merits.

Edited, May 28th 2009 5:43am by Solrain
____________________________
zellbaca wrote:
Second, that's not how spell animations work. We wrap our arms around our faces and magic beetle shadows and sh*t fly at the targets.
kenage wrote:
And yes before you ask I'm mexican and you better not piss me off about warrior and tequila or I will drop down from the donkey and hit you with my awesome guitar.
#17 May 28 2009 at 3:35 AM Rating: Good
*
124 posts
Quote:
tl;dr Hachiman set sucks. Use the hands/feet if you need a 6-hit once you hit 75. Before that, use whatever you did pre-70. Haste/acc set > 6-hit before merits.


Wait, I'm confused now, are you saying a 6-hit is not worth it before merits? I'm not there yet, but when my SAM hits 70 I was planning on substituting some pieces for Hachiman for a 6-hit.

I was going to change my O Kotes, Royal Knights Breeches and Sarutobi Kyahan for Hachiman for TP, which together which Rajas and Chivalrous Chain would give me +47 STP. This would allow me to swap all these out for STR pieces for WS, but swapping in a Hachiman Domaru for +37 STP on WS. If my calculations are correct, this would give me 100.2 tp in 6 hits (including 1 WS).

These gear swaps for more STP mean I would lose 10att, 1acc and 3% haste whilst TPing. Surely that is worth it for 6-hits over 7? Unless my maths has gone wrong somewhere...
____________________________
Amasido: Tarutaru from Windurst, Sylph server.
BLM/RDM/NIN/BRD/SAM
#18 May 28 2009 at 10:16 AM Rating: Good
**
798 posts
Quote:
These gear swaps for more STP mean I would lose 10att, 1acc and 3% haste whilst TPing. Surely that is worth it for 6-hits over 7? Unless my maths has gone wrong somewhere...


It will really depend on a lot of things (buffs, what you are fighting, your other gear), but if you are level syncing at all at those levels, which odds are you might be, what is the point? When I did SAM at those levels, we always camped on Imps in the Mire at 65-57 sync. Store TP doesn't sync down as far as I know. Plus those levels go really quick since parties, even crappy ones, tend to stay together for at least 30k xp.

Edit: I should clarify I guess. A 6-hit should be "worth it" as long as you don't give up so much accuracy and haste for a 6-hit that you end up finishing 100TP in the same time as a 7-hit build with more accuracy and haste. This is generally always the case. That said, is it "worth it" to buy a set of gear for levels you can easily blow through in a week and likely won't benefit from anyways because of level sync? I guess that is up to the person.

Edited, May 28th 2009 2:27pm by JaxReborn
____________________________
Jacs of Leviathan
SAM, MNK, THF, NIN, SCH, DRK, BLU 90
Woodworking 100+3, Synergy 57
#19ActionJaxen, Posted: May 28 2009 at 11:31 AM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) Maybe you should remember that it is a game. Try taking it less seriously. It's not the realism that bothers me, but the lack of imagination by many of my fellow players. I wasn't wrong when I said that you pay to play the way you want. If you want to play the game by breaking it down like an equation, fine. Personally, I think that way treats the game like it's your job, and if someone's not using or making the numbers to the community standard, you fire them. It's not just boring, but it's defeats the purpose of just playing. But that's just my opinion, same as before. Assume what you will, but the community standard is not the only nor the correct way to play this game.
#20 May 28 2009 at 12:16 PM Rating: Excellent
**
798 posts
Quote:
Besides, I'm already a pretty good SAM playing my own way as it is.


That's probably up for debate, but I'm betting you could be better. Why exactly do you come to a forum where information on how to be better is being handed out and tell people you are going to voluntarily ignore that information? Not only that, you insult those giving out information. Weak.
____________________________
Jacs of Leviathan
SAM, MNK, THF, NIN, SCH, DRK, BLU 90
Woodworking 100+3, Synergy 57
#21 May 28 2009 at 1:26 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
16 posts
That guy wrote:
Personally, I think that way treats the game like it's your job, and if someone's not using or making the numbers to the community standard, you fire them.


Personally, I don't like spending countless hours leveling, getting people together, going up to <insert giant mythical beast I want dead here> and failing because numerous people want to be "different" or "play the game their way."

You cannot in one hand say "I don't want to be like everyone else" and then at the same time demand acceptance for going out of your way to fail because you feel like it.

Still that guy wrote:
Contrary to popular belief, you can be creative with your job and still be effective.


Sure thing.
#22ActionJaxen, Posted: May 28 2009 at 1:29 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) Where did I say I would or should ignore their advice? And is my sarcasm really that insulting? Maybe you should be courteous if you want others to show courtesy to you. As far as I can see, I gave out my opinion on the topic pretty politely. But as I expected would happen in first sentence of the post (pretty sad that it's an expectation of a forum), I was quickly rated down by others of higher "rank" as an idiot. Am I right?
#23 May 28 2009 at 2:58 PM Rating: Excellent
*
124 posts
ActionJaxen, I really don't understand the point of your posts. If you want to play the game "your way" because it's "just a game" then fine. Just don't expect people to invite you to events in future, and certainly don't expect people on these forums to pat you on the back for it. Really it just seems like you're bitching about karma.
____________________________
Amasido: Tarutaru from Windurst, Sylph server.
BLM/RDM/NIN/BRD/SAM
#24 May 28 2009 at 3:33 PM Rating: Decent
Silent But Deadly
*****
19,999 posts
JaxReborn wrote:
When I did SAM at those levels, we always camped on Imps in the Mire at 65-57 sync.
This would be over-camping.

Imps before 68 is a bad idea, because they really do hit hard when you're 15+ levels below them. Like, three-shot the tank hard.
____________________________
SUPER BANNED FOR FAILING TO POST 20K IN A TIMELY MANNER
#25 May 28 2009 at 6:22 PM Rating: Good
**
798 posts
Quote:
Where did I say I would or should ignore their advice? And is my sarcasm really that insulting? Maybe you should be courteous if you want others to show courtesy to you. As far as I can see, I gave out my opinion on the topic pretty politely. But as I expected would happen in first sentence of the post (pretty sad that it's an expectation of a forum), I was quickly rated down by others of higher "rank" as an idiot. Am I right?


I was actually being pretty civil to you I think. You were insulting by calling "Sages" intolerant and too serious. I rated you down because you are basically trolling. You aren't contributing to the conversation anything more than a generic "I play my way and have fun lol! You guys don't play like me so you must be having no fun!" Which you know, is fine. No one is forcing you to play in any given way. Go do your snowflake thing and have fun doing whatever it is you do. The OP asked for information, they got it. Don't shoot the messengers.

Also: "Idiot" was your word, but hey, if you think it fits, who am I to argue?

Quote:
This would be over-camping.

Imps before 68 is a bad idea, because they really do hit hard when you're 15+ levels below them. Like, three-shot the tank hard.


I didn't make the parties. In general they did alright for no-BRD no-COR pts. 10k/hr with no deaths usually. They got me to 75 so they served their purpose.
____________________________
Jacs of Leviathan
SAM, MNK, THF, NIN, SCH, DRK, BLU 90
Woodworking 100+3, Synergy 57
#26 May 28 2009 at 7:06 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
****
6,481 posts
AJ: I personally don't rate people down for disagreeing with me on ffxi topics, I will rate your ass down for being a whiny little bitch about karma, though.


Pro-tip #1: If you want to see sub-defaulted posts, learn how to adjust the filter settings.
Pro-tip #2: If you want to not get rated down, don't start posts with "I'm sure there are going to be gear nazis who are going to rate me down for saying this". Contrary to popular belief, most regulars don't bother rating posts
Pro-tip #3: Karma is absolutely meaningless, the sooner you stop paying attention to it the better off you'll be
Pro-tip #4: Skill matters, skill matters more than gear in most cases, but if you gear sucks there is a very low, hard cap on how much you can make up for w/ even the most impressive skills. Proper gear matters


Kirbinator wrote:
You cannot in one hand say "I don't want to be like everyone else" and then at the same time demand acceptance for going out of your way to fail because you feel like it.
sigged =D

Edited, May 28th 2009 11:26pm by shintasama
____________________________
Quote:
I don't believe in good guys versus bad guys anymore… I only see a plethora of states acting in self interest… with varying ethics and moral standards of course, but self-interest nonetheless
Winston Churchill wrote:
Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things
#27 May 28 2009 at 8:57 PM Rating: Decent
*
79 posts
You know what... You're right. I was trolling. There are opinions and then there's ranting. I could have formed it better. I'm sorry.
#28 Jun 01 2009 at 9:53 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
623 posts
Store TP food is really a great option.

Honestly, check it out.
____________________________
Chanti
Clothcraft 97 +3
Samurai 75
Monk 66
All around flirt
#29 Jun 01 2009 at 9:56 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
****
6,481 posts
Shadygrove wrote:
Store TP food is really a great expensive option.

Honestly, check it out.

I shouldn't complain too much given that I profit off of it, but it's not something I can really recommend for normal use.
____________________________
Quote:
I don't believe in good guys versus bad guys anymore… I only see a plethora of states acting in self interest… with varying ethics and moral standards of course, but self-interest nonetheless
Winston Churchill wrote:
Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things
#30 Jun 10 2009 at 12:32 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
*
124 posts
I'm not much for the elitist attitude and try to catch myself when I start sounding like your average FFXI forum @#%^, but.... there is just so much LOL, /facepalm and fail in this thread.


It's like everything everyone hates about samurai rolled up into one thread.


"ai dunno wut im doin but i shur am gud lulz"

Overpowered class is overpowered even in the hands of the completely inept. I just don't understand why people put so much time into a game and don't care to learn how to be the best they can.

There ARE options. You just have to know what to use when, and why. For SAM it's really not that complicated. So if you care enough about the game and the job to get to 70+ do yourself and your party members a favor and do your damn research...
____________________________
Beau: MNK75 WAR37 THF37 NIN37 SAM37 WHM37 RNG68
Clothcraft 82.2+2
TaruTaru back from retirement
Auronius: BST65 BRD65 WHM37 BLM56 THF45

lol2005sig
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 16 All times are in CDT
Anonymous Guests (16)