Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

So why all the hate for Ambush?Follow

#1 Sep 09 2009 at 7:04 AM Rating: Excellent
***
1,060 posts
I've been thinking about this a lot lately. Now thf does get some pretty wicked group 2 merits.

If you don't have 5/5 feint, there's something going wrong in your brain (Or you have already achieved god status in gear and have little use for it save zergs). But my other 5...

1 AC - Definitely worth unlocking. Good for zergs, hate staple, boost in damage as needed. I don't know that it would be more beneficial for that purpose on a 5 minute timer though.

1 AS - A dispel in a pinch. Again, great utility. Definitely worth unlocking. But given its random nature (and the fact that item steal checks first), I don't see a real benefit in maxing its potency. Especially when most of the things I'm dispelling, I could care less about absorbing. I guess it depends on what you do. I know a lot of thvs love to steal Boost from JoL and I'm sure there are other situations, but I can't see maxing AS for a handful of fights.

3 Ambush - 9 Acc and Racc from behind. Now a lot of thvs I know love to hate on Ambush. But really, is extra positional acc on a highly positional job THAT bad?

Especially when compared to more merits in AC and AS. As far as I'm concerned you should have them both at least unlocked. Which means you can't max either one. So its between 7:30 AC, 80% mostly random buff absorption, or 9 ACC full time when behind a mob.

I can't see a few more minutes recast on AC or absorption rate on AS (even IF you get the buff you were trying to get. If its got more than one GL.) coming out ahead of 9 ACC on every:

  • SA WS behind the mob
  • Solo EV or DE behind the mob
  • Melee behind the mob
  • Status bolt shots behind the mob
  • Slug shots behind the mob


So...why do you hate it? Curious.

Edited, Sep 9th 2009 11:04am by ThiefKiller

Edited, Sep 9th 2009 11:15am by ThiefKiller

Edited, Sep 9th 2009 11:16am by ThiefKiller

Edited, Oct 2nd 2009 8:52pm by ThiefKiller
____________________________
Nebo
THF99/BRD99
#2 Sep 09 2009 at 7:38 AM Rating: Decent
****
4,415 posts
I hate it because when I played you only had 6 upgrades, 3 were feint, 2 were spent unlocking the other abilities and that final point was basically a waste no matter where it went.

I often tank on thf so an ability that is often not working isn't high on my list of things I want.
____________________________
Ladyofhonor: 99THF/PLD/RUN
100+7 Alchemy
Zilart/CoP/ToAU complete.
Mandau 119
#3 Sep 09 2009 at 7:51 AM Rating: Good
***
1,060 posts
SirEaglestrike wrote:
I hate it because when I played you only had 6 upgrades, 3 were feint, 2 were spent unlocking the other abilities and that final point was basically a waste no matter where it went.

I often tank on thf so an ability that is often not working isn't high on my list of things I want.


lol yeah. I imagine a relic thf would have a bit of a different playstyle. Maybe 5/5 AC might be worth it for Mercy Stroke then? But for the rest of us mortals...lol.

It's not that I think Ambush is AMAZING. I just think it's better than more merits in the alternatives.
____________________________
Nebo
THF99/BRD99
#4 Sep 09 2009 at 8:07 AM Rating: Decent
12 posts
The only problem that I ran into when considering these merits were fights that involved mobs that shouldn't be attacked from behind, eg. Fafnir. Adding that extra 9 ACC is awesome, I agree. I personally vote for it compared to the other abilities receiving more attention. It's an extra 9 ACC for free. There's a ring that gives 7 ACC that cost close to 3 mil on my server ...

My solution for the problem was to build TP from behind but to make sure any spike damage that could pull hate be done from the front. You will probably get screamed at, /slapped, and everything else but I'm sure you know what you are doing regarding hate on these mobs.
#5 Sep 09 2009 at 8:12 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
****
4,864 posts
ThiefKiller wrote:

3 Ambush - 9 Acc and Racc from behind. Now a lot of thvs I know love to hate on Ambush. But really, is extra positional acc on a highly positional job THAT bad?

Especially when compared to more merits in AC and AS. As far as I'm concerned you should have them both at least unlocked. Which means you can't max either one. So its between 7:30 AC, 80% mostly random buff absorption, or 9 ACC full time when behind a mob.

So...why do you hate it? Curious.


Because it's useless for what I do.

Merits - I am almost never behind the mob. This is either because I'm tanking or because the other 2 DDs aren't standing on a single side and therefore "behind the mob" is changing with each swing.

Dynamis - I am almost never behind the mob. This is either because I'm tanking, the mob is dead to quick to matter, or because the other DDs aren't standing on a single side and therefore "behind the mob" is changing with each swing.

Limbus - I am almost never behind the mob. This is either because I'm tanking, the mob is dead to quick to matter, or because the other DDs aren't standing on a single side and therefore "behind the mob" is changing with each swing.

Salvage - I am almost never behind the mob. This is either because the other DDs aren't standing on a single side and therefore "behind the mob" is changing with each swing, or because accuracy doesn't really matter.

HNMs - Hope you're not standing behind them.


I think the best a Thief that plays like I do with the gear I have (or better) can do is:

5/5 Feint

and some combination of Aura Steal and Assassin's Charge to max it out.

I would advocate zero merits in Ambush.
____________________________
Carbuncle


#6 Sep 09 2009 at 8:44 AM Rating: Excellent
***
1,060 posts
TheBarrister wrote:
Merits - I am almost never behind the mob. This is either because I'm tanking or because the other 2 DDs aren't standing on a single side and therefore "behind the mob" is changing with each swing.


I understand merits are chaotic, but to say you are never or can never get behind the mob is kind of unrealistic. Especially when all your SAMs are going to be lined up in front of it.

Quote:
Dynamis - I am almost never behind the mob. This is either because I'm tanking, the mob is dead to quick to matter, or because the other DDs aren't standing on a single side and therefore "behind the mob" is changing with each swing.


This I can agree with. Dynamis is a lost cause for positioning.

Quote:
Limbus - I am almost never behind the mob. This is either because I'm tanking, the mob is dead to quick to matter, or because the other DDs aren't standing on a single side and therefore "behind the mob" is changing with each swing.

Salvage - I am almost never behind the mob. This is either because the other DDs aren't standing on a single side and therefore "behind the mob" is changing with each swing, or because accuracy doesn't really matter.


I hear what you are saying, but even with changing hate, its not hard to swing around behind long enough to SAWS or Solo WS. Unless you never SAWS? But I never seem to have problems land a solo TA on the right person and quickly SAWS or SA, then WS from behind.

Quote:
HNMs - Hope you're not standing behind them.


Not all of them Flail. And even the ones that do, you can build TP on. If your thf is taking hate from reg melee hits on an HNM. Your LS has bigger problems.

Quote:
I think the best a Thief that plays like I do with the gear I have (or better) can do is:

5/5 Feint

and some combination of Aura Steal and Assassin's Charge to max it out.

I would advocate zero merits in Ambush.


My point is essentially that AC and AS aren't worth putting extra merits into. And having extra Acc, even in the situations you mentioned, is worth more than putting more merits into either.
____________________________
Nebo
THF99/BRD99
#7 Sep 09 2009 at 9:46 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
***
2,881 posts
the ambush stigma started when we only had 6 teir2 points to spend, which made it pointless.

however, just because you have ambush doesnt mean you have to completely cater your playstyle around it. as long as you have 5 feint, 1 aura steal, & 1 assassin charge the last 3 points really dont matter what you spend them on, because they are all situational at best.
____________________________
Lv75 Elvaan Thief, Dragoon, Warrior, Black Mage, Ninja, Bard
Number of times I have reached 75 because of death: 100
Total Merits: 432 Levels until Maat Cap: 37
Why fight like a man when I can fight like a chick with a bear?
#8 Sep 09 2009 at 10:16 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
104 posts
I honestly see it as the least appealing group 2 merit ability because like other thfs that have posted, I can't realistically see myself behind a mob as often as I would like. In situations where there is no designated tank to hold hate and mobs are bouncing around to all the melees I think it is more of a hassle to chase the mob's ass than to sit in one spot and watch the hate shift so I know which way I need to turn for my next SA or SAWS.

At the same time however I think the other 2 abilities have far greater use out of the extra 3 merits (after 5/5 feint and 1 in AS and AC). I myself chose AC to dump the other 3 merits in because I feel it is the second best job ability worth meriting as much as possible. I didn't choose AS because the only use from it I feel is worth it is the dispel. I've never done sea, stealing JoL's boost sounds awesome, but since I've never been in that situation AS lost it's appeal to me after unlocking it.

I love AC and its not about the epeen shots either. I feel the ability to pop off triple attack WS every 7 and a half minutes a great asset towards THF DD. It's our only other DD'ing job ability outside of SA and TA so when putting myself in the DD role i feel it deserves as much attention as them as well. I've also been considering taking the merit out of AS and putting it in AC finishing it off 5/5 but haven't made that final decision just yet.
____________________________
Publius
Odin Server
Thf75/War37/Nin37

Merits - HP: 8 Str: 1 Dex: 2 Dagger: 8 Marksmanship: 4 Evasion: 4 Parrying: 4 Crit Rate: 4 Spell Interruption rate: 4 Sneak Attack: 5 Triple Attack: 5 Assassin's Charge: 4 Feint: 5 Aura Steal: 1

Tp:
http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?186563

Ws:
http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?166877
#9 Sep 09 2009 at 3:36 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
***
1,008 posts
This is the reason why I don't bother with ambush:

1. Pulling-- Who tries to go behind the mob every time to get the bonus of the Racc? Basicall no one as it's not productive.

2. Merit Parties-- the mob is constantly moving towards other DDs. In good merit parties, the mobs die too fast and move too much. Don't forget that sometimes the mob is facing one person doing a tp move but in reality it has its back to the person due to lag. Try yourself chasing the back of a mob for even 30 mins in a merit party and tell me if it's worth.

3. Tanking-- Regardless of your play style, thieves do in general tank a lot of stuff for their friends so they are usually facing the mob.

4. farming-- you can't fight a mob behind it while solo farming.

5. SA/TA accuracy-- SA and TA + WS allows the first hit and offhand hit to be 100%. Also, most of the time our food (prefer marinara pizza) will cap our acc and where the mob is extremely evasive (probably very high level), we have other WS that require way far less accuracy.

6. Accuracy-- thief isn't the most accurate job in the game but people actually don't pay attention to how accurate the job is due to having pretty good gear with lots of dex/raw acc to boost our accuracy. Our main weapon skills aren't inaccurate either and our job abilities do boost our acc by a lot.

7. Mob levels-- For fights where meriting ambush does boost us, it's very inefficient to attack the mob anyways and sometimes not acceptable attacking them from behind as some people have posted a few HNMs.

This trait should have been something that we should get at a much lower level as well as back when there was more coordination in parties back in the day. Today it's a mess to even bother at 70+.
#10 Sep 09 2009 at 3:44 PM Rating: Excellent
***
1,831 posts
This question probably depends on playstyle more than anything else. I didn't take Ambush myself because I didn't like it's conditional nature.

Ambush
Merits
Usually ACC isn't an issue. If songs/rolls/haste are applied there is a high chance that the target may be facing me >50% while TPing and prevent me from actually getting behind the enemy. I usually use MS as a weaponskill; Sneak Attack and Trick Attack ensure it's accuracy @ 100% for the most part.

HNM
Usually HNMs would allow a great use for Ambush, but I find that there are many cases where I'm either not allowed to melee fully on the HNM (Tiamat/Dark Ixion) or I must melee it from the front (Fafnir/Nidhogg). It may be a fulltime ACC bonus for the THF, but Feint's evasion reduction has an effect on everyone hitting the HNM (which may justify your position in an HNM zerg more than a great ACC).

I'm not saying that the ability is bad at all. The accuracy boost is pretty nasty, especially due to the fact that it doesn't require gear to enhance ACC/RACC.



I took a different approach with my merits and would hope that anyone wanting to merit their THF would take a look at how they play before deciding their allocations.

Assassin's Charge
I use THF as my merit driver normally and take it to the majority of HNM camps I attend. I chose to take Assassin's Charge to 5/5 in order to reduce the amount of time required to cool down my ability to force a triple attack.

Screenshot

Mercy Stroke on Tiamat


Feint
Feint is an awesome skill. If I had more points (or they open up the tier 2s to include more in the future) I'd increase Feint and reduce my timer. Right now I have Feint at 1/5 and have it's cooldown at 10 minutes. Most of the time if used in HNM zergs the enemy isn't up for longer than the 2 mins it'd require for a cooldown. I took one to unlock Feint and left it there.

Aura Steal
I took Aura Steal and put it at 4/5 to use the remaining points. Buff steals are supposedly 80% and allow a great opportunity to use them against the enemy.
#11 Sep 09 2009 at 8:08 PM Rating: Good
***
1,060 posts
I guess these things make sense. I'm sure it does depend on what you spend most of your time doing and how good the rest of your gear is.

Truthfully I have had a curious desire to drop my non feint merits and max out AC lately....only because every time I use it, people go O.o over the numbers. Maybe other peoples' big number syndrom perceptions can be my gain >:P.

I may just do that to try it out.

Anyone here have Aura Steal Fully Merited. And if so, for what do find it most useful?
____________________________
Nebo
THF99/BRD99
#12 Sep 09 2009 at 11:14 PM Rating: Decent
***
3,144 posts
Saying Ambush sucks is like saying "I never use sneak attack"

Its a fail argument.

Ill take 9 accuracy guaranteed every sneak attack I do if that allows me to put some dex or something in that slot instead.

Edited, Sep 10th 2009 7:15am by Xellith
____________________________
75BLM 75PLD 75RDM 75WAR 75MNK 75NIN 75THF 75SAM 75BRD 75RNG 75DRK 75SMN, 75DRG 75DNC 75WHM 75COR 75BST 75BLU 75PUP 75SCH - # of summoner burns = 0

http://sizedd.freeforums.org/

Quote a few months before the mass salvage banning:
couerlmaster wrote:
And stfu with the banstick, this is hardly traceable and so widespread throughout the EG community there's nothing SE can do w/o banning half the EG community on every server


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0O8qb58bHY
#13 Sep 10 2009 at 12:42 AM Rating: Decent
******
29,113 posts
Quote:
Saying Ambush sucks is like saying "I never use sneak attack"


No, not quite. Sneak Attack doesn't require you to CONSTANTLY remain behind a mob in order to work.
#14 Sep 10 2009 at 1:02 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
25 posts
I don't require any more acc than i already have available to me.
In merit I have a hard time ever being able to even get sneak attack off let alone get behind the mob long enough for Ambush to even process/matter. So for that reason i have Assassin Charge fully merited. Purely my own choice. Since im tanking 95% of the time i may as well be able to get some sort of JA stacked with my WS off. You could argue that you could TA or TAWS and get behind the mob, but really i have an awful time trying to get people to get close enough or stop dancing around like an idiot that its just a pain in my ass. My second is fully merited Feint if you were wondering btw~

I'd love to have kept one in Aura steal for the dispel however over time i felt the Aura steal merit itself to be fairly... Abysmal... Sure for some monsters its fine and all But your limited to a 5Min re-cast. On a lot of stuff i really wanted it to process on you have a very low chance of Not stealing an item ie. Bone chip from a Ice spiked skully, If the AI of what your fighting has any intelligence at all it will probably recast anyways. My opinion on the matter is if you need a dispel get a bard or a red mage, don't fully rely on aura steal. I say that with full respect to Aura steals capabilities as i am well aware of what it is capable of.

If you want to merit Aura steal you should probably imo with the intention to maxing or near maxing it out, however keeping in mind what mobs your going to be fighting being fully aware of what reason you wanted it in the first place. If We were to fight things generally that cast zerk alot for example I'd most likely be all over aura steal.

Stealing the boost effect off Of JoL though has an INSANE dmg+ to it.. lol just Fyi. XD

The only real time i'm using status bolts is if i need to get rid of a Defense bonus when i'm duo/trioing and i have my own ranged acc+ gear setup for that if i NEED to use it. Or if im soloing, which... you shouldn't be behind the mob unless your sleep bolt Sneak attacking. I don't Status bolt in exp it slows my Dot.

I would have to say that ambush relies fairly heavily on your gear. For me personally i don't require its assistance. Its up to you if you feel you need these merits to maximize your own personal dmg. Sorry kinda jumped around there.

Edit: made a spelling error~

Edited, Sep 10th 2009 5:06am by MalicFayt
____________________________
Malicfayt
Mithra
75Thief<Main
75Drk/Brd/Smn/Dnc/Nin
#15 Sep 10 2009 at 1:27 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
*
104 posts
Xellith wrote:
Saying Ambush sucks is like saying "I never use sneak attack"

Its a fail argument.

Ill take 9 accuracy guaranteed every sneak attack I do if that allows me to put some dex or something in that slot instead.


Um...wut?

Actually, saying ambush sucks is nothing like saying "I never use sneak attack"

Your argument is a fail argument.

You don't need the 9 accuracy guaranteed every sneak attack you do since you should be putting 0 accuracy on a total dex build for a guaranteed crit from behind the enemy when you use sneak attack ffs!

Oh unless you were talking about stacking with a WS? In that case if the mob is so evasive you can't use dancing edge we have other WS that are fewer hits and are better for those instances anyways.

I'm not trying to tell you what to merit, you allocate them the way you want to, I was just setting your facts straight for you.
____________________________
Publius
Odin Server
Thf75/War37/Nin37

Merits - HP: 8 Str: 1 Dex: 2 Dagger: 8 Marksmanship: 4 Evasion: 4 Parrying: 4 Crit Rate: 4 Spell Interruption rate: 4 Sneak Attack: 5 Triple Attack: 5 Assassin's Charge: 4 Feint: 5 Aura Steal: 1

Tp:
http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?186563

Ws:
http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?166877
#16 Sep 10 2009 at 1:51 AM Rating: Decent
******
29,113 posts
Quote:
You don't need the 9 accuracy guaranteed every sneak attack you do since you should be putting 0 accuracy on a total dex build for a guaranteed crit from behind the enemy when you use sneak attack ffs!


He's probably talking about stacking SA with DE, meaning not all the swings are guaranteed to hit.

But yeah, if you're doing SADE... DEX is a modifier for both the SA and DE, as well as giving at least some accuracy. I would think that as long as you're not blowing ridiculous amounts of ACC to get DEX it is generally best to pile on the DEX.

Still... yeah, constant focus of Ambush =/= once a minute focus of SA.
#17 Sep 10 2009 at 6:40 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
****
4,864 posts
Xellith wrote:

Ill take 9 accuracy guaranteed every sneak attack I do if that allows me to put some dex or something in that slot instead.


Your sneak attack needs accuracy?
____________________________
Carbuncle


#18 Sep 10 2009 at 6:43 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
****
4,864 posts
Archain wrote:
This question probably depends on playstyle more than anything else. I didn't take Ambush myself because I didn't like it's conditional nature.

Ambush
Merits
Usually ACC isn't an issue. If songs/rolls/haste are applied there is a high chance that the target may be facing me >50% while TPing and prevent me from actually getting behind the enemy. I usually use MS as a weaponskill; Sneak Attack and Trick Attack ensure it's accuracy @ 100% for the most part.

HNM
Usually HNMs would allow a great use for Ambush, but I find that there are many cases where I'm either not allowed to melee fully on the HNM (Tiamat/Dark Ixion) or I must melee it from the front (Fafnir/Nidhogg). It may be a fulltime ACC bonus for the THF, but Feint's evasion reduction has an effect on everyone hitting the HNM (which may justify your position in an HNM zerg more than a great ACC).

I'm not saying that the ability is bad at all. The accuracy boost is pretty nasty, especially due to the fact that it doesn't require gear to enhance ACC/RACC.



I took a different approach with my merits and would hope that anyone wanting to merit their THF would take a look at how they play before deciding their allocations.

Assassin's Charge
I use THF as my merit driver normally and take it to the majority of HNM camps I attend. I chose to take Assassin's Charge to 5/5 in order to reduce the amount of time required to cool down my ability to force a triple attack.

Screenshot

Mercy Stroke on Tiamat


Feint
Feint is an awesome skill. If I had more points (or they open up the tier 2s to include more in the future) I'd increase Feint and reduce my timer. Right now I have Feint at 1/5 and have it's cooldown at 10 minutes. Most of the time if used in HNM zergs the enemy isn't up for longer than the 2 mins it'd require for a cooldown. I took one to unlock Feint and left it there.

Aura Steal
I took Aura Steal and put it at 4/5 to use the remaining points. Buff steals are supposedly 80% and allow a great opportunity to use them against the enemy.


Quite an interesting setup. A unique way of not using 5/5 Feint, but still optimizing your Thief for the way you play.

____________________________
Carbuncle


#19 Sep 10 2009 at 8:09 AM Rating: Good
***
3,775 posts
Yeah, Archain gave the reasoning for his setup of merits a long time ago, and it's pretty cool. Of course having a Mandau is an exception, so he gets to play outside the rules of most thieves, but it's a solid setup that works well I'm sure. Since Mercy Stroke never misses he doesn't need maxed feint for weaponskill, and he builds tp just fine with homam + acc gear (I never asked a Mandau user if they ever eat pizza depending on the target for melee tp, but for some hnms maybe?). That just leaves damage boosting stuff and since most of the melle's he plays with can handle their own accuracy he saves the feint for zergs.

Honestly I'm not sure if I would change my merits if/when I got Mandau or not. I'm leaving the 5/5 assassin's charge I merited either way, but for what I do 5/5 feint has a lot of uses and I do like the way it helps everyone in the group. But I can't argue that there are mobs with some really strong buffs (Hai2u Fluorescence O.o) so for a Mandau thief that's a really interesting way to think outside the box and end up with great results. Either way you slice it, both combos have a lot of potential for a relic.

For the rest of us 5/5 feint is a given of course. I'm in agreement on the subject of Ambush btw. It's the least useful of the T2 merits in my eyes as well. Whatever I'm fighting usually ends up with mobs spinning every direction because all the heavy DD are standing at 3 different angles and the mob spins like a top. I can land sneak attack easily enough but I'll never be CONSISTENTLY behind the mob enough that I would merit ambush. In the HNM scene standing behind the mob isn't a big enugh deal. While not ALL HNM have rear attack penalties, there's enough to deter me from it and I like 5/5 feint and 5/5 assassin's charge on them anyway. There's a lot to be said for controlling HNM's evasion while having a 5 minute recast on a stacked assassin's charge weaponskill no matter how you slice it, and since multi procs will never miss due to the sa/ta bonuses of a stacked weaponskill's first hit rule... there ya go.

Ambush is nice for sneak attack + dancing edge, but it's only going to give 15 accuracy when maxed out, and that means weakening other merits. Since I weaponskill with ta and solo a lot as well, a maximim of 7.5% hitrate on a sa DE just doesn't feel that great. If the mob is that evasive I'll probably use shark bite anyway (this was said already, but it's true). Especially since in a Sneak Attack + SB ... well I'll be wearing full dex to max the crit regardless.

Edited, Sep 10th 2009 12:14pm by Melphina
____________________________
[ffxisig]56619[/ffxisig]

There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.
#20 Sep 10 2009 at 9:11 AM Rating: Decent
***
1,060 posts
I believe Xellith was talking about SA DE and SA EV.

And I think its worth noting that it seems like the better your gear is, the less valuable Ambush becomes. But...

For me...even the things that I would SA Multi Hit WS on or eve solo WS in merits...I wouldn't dare say I'm at "capped" Acc. And with the issue of AC, actually I've been wondering this. When you force a Triple Attack proc on a (solo multie hit) WS, is that triple attack guaranteed to hit (I think no)? With SA or TA WS is it guaranteed to hit then (I think yes on this one)? My intuition is telling me no but it just occured to me that I don't know the answer. But I think that was my origional reasoning for ultimately choosing ambush. That 4-5% hitrate on solo ws and SAWS would be better in the long run than a forced Triple attack every 7:30 minutes that wasn't guaranteed to hit. In merits I don't stack ws's much and when I popped merits into ambush it was to maximize solo DE damage.

And eveyone saying they are never behind the mob because you are always tanking. Believe me I know what you mean. But if you are in a good merit party, there is just no way you are always tanking. You may take hate with melee DoT, will for sure take hate with a WS, but as soon as one of the other DDs does (If they are geared well) they have hate. Its really not that hard to make good use of that extra acc boost. It takes next to no time to swing around and you still swing while moving to the back so I don't see that its hard to do. Especially if you are going for meat builds on birdies instead of spamming crab sushi.

If you are fighting an HNM/ZNM/Mission Boss/Whatever where you CAN melee behind the mob and or SA WS behind the mob (even SASB gains benefit of Acc for that 2nd hit to land). I also have this (unfounded lol) speculation that it works with Hide SATA WS.

I think the main arguement is that thf can never be CONSTANTLY behind the mob (which I agree with) so that ambush is not worth it. I guess I'm of the oppinion that you don't have to constantly be behind the mob for ambush to be worth it...when compared to a few more minutes recast on AC or more absorbtion rate on AS. But, is is aparent here my gear is inferior to the relic holders...and Melph's near perfect gear lol. And it seems to serve my playstyle. Although I might be toying with my group 2 merits soon to "prove myself wrong."

Edit: I also just thought its worth noting that, in merits in the like, I tend to be the hate manipulator so position the mob the way I want it. For example, DD1 WS, DD2 WS, I'll TA DD1, collab DD2, DD1 gets hate, I swing behind, WS, sneak attack - I have hate, etc etc. No, I don't wait on timers/hold tp for this to happen. But It's a constant paying attention to hate levels and seeing whos riding that hate line, and most merit level mobs only live long enough for this to happen once. Seems to always be one in the crowd that does that extra bit of damage so this is viable. So yeah, I guess over the years since I got ambush, I have been playing to it a bit.

Edited, Sep 10th 2009 1:25pm by ThiefKiller
____________________________
Nebo
THF99/BRD99
#21 Sep 10 2009 at 7:47 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,983 posts
5Feint1Aura1Ass3Ambush is the best combo for some :3

SiS (sh*t is Situational) <- Shouldn't this term be acronymized by now?

Edited, Sep 11th 2009 3:48am by Shamaya
____________________________
Shamaya, Asura
#22 Sep 11 2009 at 8:38 AM Rating: Default
**
536 posts
I'm at 5 feint 1 assassin's charge now.

4/5 ac is 1/4 feint/ac ws's.
5/5 ac is 1/3 feint/ac ws's.

To me the question is if even 1 aura steal is worth it, as I can only see myself needing it to dispel things in sea solo which I'm never even at anymore.

1 per 3 ws feinted and ac'd, that sounds cool to me.

#23 Sep 11 2009 at 10:42 AM Rating: Decent
****
7,094 posts
Rahkis wrote:
I'm at 5 feint 1 assassin's charge now.

4/5 ac is 1/4 feint/ac ws's.
5/5 ac is 1/3 feint/ac ws's.

To me the question is if even 1 aura steal is worth it, as I can only see myself needing it to dispel things in sea solo which I'm never even at anymore.

1 per 3 ws feinted and ac'd, that sounds cool to me.

You do 3 WS every five minutes?
____________________________
Terraxia - RNG/COR/THF - Midgardsormr/Quetzalcoatl (boxed)
Viper Beam - ARC/CRP - Fabul
#24 Sep 11 2009 at 10:23 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,983 posts
Rahkis, if you can only see yourself using aura steal in that situation, you're not using Thf in enough situations.
____________________________
Shamaya, Asura
#25 Sep 12 2009 at 12:39 AM Rating: Default
**
536 posts
True enough, I don't use my first love near enough. Rdm is so p[owerful always, and now drg is amazing, then I have blm, so thf only goes out occasionally.

:every 5/6min feint/ac ws, (worded that bad shamaya).

Edited, Sep 12th 2009 4:44am by Rahkis
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 23 All times are in CDT
Anonymous Guests (23)