I started in Gridania, doing THM and CON- both are 20 atm.
Grind to R10ish on marmots- they're very easy, don't hit very hard, and there are SO many camps for them you should be able to get a respawn rotation to yourself somewhere.
It's up to you whether or not you want to do both jobs, but I strongly recommend you take THM to at least rank 8 for Slow.
My fights as CON basically amounted to:
- Spirit Dart x1
- Guard (get a shield, and keep Guard up, it lasts ~30sec)
- Spirit Dart x3-5
At Rank 10 you can continue to grind Thistletail Marmots to 11, maybe 12, and/or do a few Emerald Moss leves.
At Rank 12, I went North & East of Emerald Moss, killing Roselets & Bees. They give really good skill at this point, and (the bees especially) are very weak. You can avoid the Lone Wolves, or try to fight them.
If you want to take on wolves as early as rank 12, I recommend:
- Shock Spikes
- Sacrifice & Cure
- Guard (use wand+shield, not a staff)
If you can avoid wolves, I'd do that until R13, maybe 14. I was fighting them at 12 but it's not really worth it that early.
If you craft, it's useful to know that between Roselets and Bees you're obtaining:
Cotton Boll (weaving)
Moko Grass (weaving)
Growth Formula Alpha (alchemy)
Red Landtrap Leaf (alchemy)
Beehive Chip (alchemy)
Basket of Bees (alchemy)
I ran up and down the area East of Emerald Moss from R12ish until R17ish. The wolves consistently gave me 150-400+ skill until 17. At 17 they take a bit too much damage, die too quickly etc etc.
1. Punishing Barbs: Don't use it. I don't even have it on my action bar. Yeah, you reflect 100% damage. Yeah, you can kill almost anything with it. The damage doesn't give you skill however, so all you're really doing is draining the juicy, skill-giving-HP out of your target.
Instead of using 30 Spirit Darts, each giving you a shot at skill points, the mob just dies in seconds and you've used all of 3 attacks.
2. Shock Spikes: Don't use it--if you can help it. Same as Punishing Barbs, to a lesser extent. I used Shock Spikes for Lone Wolf targets early on, coupled with Slow, 'cause it was the only way I'd survive (curing between stuns). As soon as you're able to take on whatever your target may be without Shock Spikes, do so.
My point distribution (especially for wolves) was VIT >> MND >> PIE >> INT.
My INT was disgustingly low (like 20).
1. Bump up your VIT until it stops adding HP.
2. MND: just have enough that you use ~50% every 10 minutes. This way with Tranquility, you're always covered.
3. PIE: whatever's left over after VIT/MND goes in here, with maybe 3-4 pity points into INT...it really didn't matter (as far as I could tell) at this level. Don't use elemental spells, don't use DoT spells, just spam your Dart and keep yourself alive.
I don't know why this got so long, and it probably stopped being coherent at some point too, but if it mostly makes sense: this is what I did as a CON in Gridania.
From what I've seen so far, The Black Shroud (Gridania area) is my favorite leveling spot so far. I did like ONE rank of grinding around Limsa (Camp Bloodshore) on Aldgoats at 18ish, but everything else has been in The Black Shroud. I'm 20 CON & THM at the moment, still near Gridania, and grinding is faster now than I've had since rank 1.