First off, to make money in cooking you will also have to farm your materials most of the time and make stuff people will want to buy off AH. Got that? Good.
There are several ways that a mage can make money; I'd suggest at your level:
1. Sell scrolls/stuff that mobs drop that you don't need. Check both AH and the NPC for this; Sell to whatever sells for more.
2. Sell things, including cells, from GoV. Again, check AH and NPC; cells would be better off AHed but some stuff is a npc dump.
3. Oh, go farm wild onions! This is something anyone can do. Silk and wild onions sell for nice amounts for newbies to the AH.
4. While you're running around Jueno, listen for tele shouts. They aren't as prevalent as they used to be but that can be some spare cash.
5. Check the NPC and the AH; you might be able to resell stuff from the npcs. Really true in windy..People are too lazy to find the npcs that sell scrolls.. XD
6. If you're not crafting or don't need that particular kinda crystal, sell the crystals.
I hope that helps. Also I recommend you don't craft until you actually have a decent income; your equip/spells SHOULD come first. That's why it took me a very long time to get 100 cooking. And of course, if you don't enjoy it, don't bother. ^^
Edited, Aug 7th 2012 11:24am by maryadavies
Elizara, Mithran WHM of Quetzalcoatl
LS's: SpecialFriends, ShikigamiWeapon, Noble's, WeSayHurray, JingZen, Betrayed (Dynamis and Aby)
Still a MithraPride kitty at heart, tho that shell is gone..Also still CTY at heart forevah!
Midgard: NEVER FORGET.
Alla profile: http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?11530
Thinking about swapping from console to PC? Check here to do it right!