Is there currently just one version of the game, English & Japanese? There isn't any server or locality restriction to what version I buy right? Because I've seen European, English, and Japanese version and want to clear this up before I buy the wrong game for where I am >_<!
Should I buy the collectors edition? Its not that much more than the standards price so if its worth it I will pick that up instead.
This might sound like a noob question, but to my knowledge, it is still free to play and will continue till they fix all the problems...right?
Are servers region specific? I'm in Asia and a little worry I might pick the wrong server and see incredible lag, that or be in complete different timezones with other players that I will never see a person around to play with.
What are the population looking like now? I heard that a lot of players left so I don't want to join a ghost server for the obvious reasons. I remember FF11 I had to pay to switch servers which was just ridiculous, this time I want to get it right from the get go.
Lastly, if i do join the Gysahl server, how are the SEA/AU population looking? The game would be meaningless without a group of people to play with. Whats the community like in your LS? Any room for a newbie starting fresh?
1. There are three versions of the game: North America, Europe, and Japan. The version of the game you buy must be the same as your SE account. If you have an SE account registered under North America, your game must also be the NA version for them to be compatible. As for the discs themselves, it doesn't matter which version you buy, you have the option to choose between installing the game in English, Japanese, German, or French languages. It also doesn't matter where in the world you are, you can buy any of the 3 versions of the game and play it as long as it matches your SE account. For example, I live in Thailand and I'm playing an NA version of the game using an SE account registered as NA.
2. If you have money to throw around, go ahead and pick up the CE. It has a unique item or two that normal retail version doesn't. The EU CE also comes with a physical map in the box, I believe.
3. There is currently no monthly fee. It will continue to be free until SE thinks the game is satisfactory enough to charge a monthly fee. It could be a month from now, it could be three months from now, it could be a year. No one knows for sure.
4. The servers are not region-specific. All servers are located in Japan. Anyone in any part of the world can play on any server.
5. The game just went retail for a few months and is in the process of huge improvements, so it's impossible to tell right now what the population of each server will be like in the long run. I wouldn't worry about "ghost towns" though, if servers are under-populated I'm sure SE would merge a few.
6. Gysahl has a bunch of Japanese players. I live in Thailand so I play during the evening to late night Asian time. There are some English-speaking people playing at this time of the night, but obviously most of the players are Japanese.
Hope that helps!