Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

1.8 Update finally arrivesFollow

#1 Sep 14 2011 at 3:10 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
5,650 posts
For those who don't know. 1.8 is the "Adventure Update" that brings NPC villages, new Enderman mob, new lighting effects and combat and health/hunger system, among other things.

Oh yea, and you can dash now by double tapping the forward key.

Anyone have a fun server to play on that works for 1.8 yet?
____________________________
my Tumblr
Pixelmon Server Info
FFXI-AH Profile
#2 Sep 15 2011 at 11:28 AM Rating: Excellent
Annoying Ass
ZAM Administrator
Avatar
*****
11,969 posts
I'm not even trying it until Aether is updated. Honestly, the Aether seems twice as good as this change. They left out a ton of the good things:
-NPCs
-skills
-mushroom biomes
-points to the strongholds
-animal breeding

...while implementing a bunch of changes... and not good ones:

-hunger bar
-experience with no reason to level
-limited animal spawns
-empty NPC villages.
-new enemies have no useful drops (or no use for the items they drop)

The only things I want to fool around with are rivers, ravines, mineshafts, Endermen, and sprinting. Nah, I'll stick with Aether for now.
____________________________
Retired News Writer for the ZAM Network
WoW - Aureliano the Insane - level 90 Druid on Sen'Jin
Nanaoki - level 90 Mage on Sen'Jin
#3 Sep 15 2011 at 1:44 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
5,650 posts
LockeColeMA wrote:


The only things I want to fool around with are rivers, ravines, mineshafts, Endermen, and sprinting. Nah, I'll stick with Aether for now.


Do you play on a server that uses Aether mod?
____________________________
my Tumblr
Pixelmon Server Info
FFXI-AH Profile
#4 Sep 15 2011 at 11:59 PM Rating: Good
***
1,877 posts
I started it back up. Took me over 2 game days before I could find me a ghost town and that turned out to be a church and a smith. Wide open plains on one side, desert on the other. Did a bit of exploring and found a mineshaft and I have only one thing to say about them. If there is fairly large cave network in the area where the mineshaft spawns at it gets bloody confusing to navigate. Smiley: motz Got it on peaceful due to how I am setting up my story. To put it simply hostel mobs will not spawn until I open the portal to the nether. I know many would find that boring but I am enjoying myself atm. Smiley: tongue

It does feel a bit weak of an update though. -shrug- Oh well, beta is beta.
____________________________
#swaggerjacker
#5 Sep 16 2011 at 7:17 AM Rating: Excellent
Annoying Ass
ZAM Administrator
Avatar
*****
11,969 posts
Kuwoobie wrote:
LockeColeMA wrote:


The only things I want to fool around with are rivers, ravines, mineshafts, Endermen, and sprinting. Nah, I'll stick with Aether for now.


Do you play on a server that uses Aether mod?

Unfortunately it's not for multi-player yet. Next update should be both for multi-player and compatible with 1.81!
____________________________
Retired News Writer for the ZAM Network
WoW - Aureliano the Insane - level 90 Druid on Sen'Jin
Nanaoki - level 90 Mage on Sen'Jin
#6 Sep 20 2011 at 1:12 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
****
6,238 posts
I've always given Notch sh*t for half-assed updates, but this time I'm not even gonna bother. It's too easy to point out everything that was already implemented third-party that Mojang can only seem to implement half the features for (but just enough to make the mod harder to install or semi-trivial).

First it was all the decent SMP Nether plugins, now it's Millenaire (and partly Citizens) under the knife... but then the official version is so incomplete you'll have to find some way to disable it for the mods to be worthwhile. Aether is a whole different story since the Skylands generator was completely neglected after implementation.

I can only figure somebody, not gonna finger Notch alone, at Mojang just simply hates third party development. Every update they're in a feature race with their own community and they sure as **** don't drive nicely, especially when their SDK went vaporware.

And yes I just love exploring a whole stronghold for three pieces of coal and an apple in one chest and a few books and paper in another. That there's only one per world just leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

Edited, Sep 20th 2011 12:21pm by Raelix
____________________________
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Airships on fire off the shoulder of Bahamut. I watched Scapula Beams glitter in the dark near the Three Mage Gate...

Nilatai wrote:
Vlorsutes wrote:
There's always...not trolling him?

You're new here, aren't you?
#7 Sep 20 2011 at 9:59 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
5,650 posts
Raelix wrote:
I've always given Notch sh*t for half-assed updates, but this time I'm not even gonna bother. It's too easy to point out everything that was already implemented third-party that Mojang can only seem to implement half the features for (but just enough to make the mod harder to install or semi-trivial).

First it was all the decent SMP Nether plugins, now it's Millenaire (and partly Citizens) under the knife... but then the official version is so incomplete you'll have to find some way to disable it for the mods to be worthwhile. Aether is a whole different story since the Skylands generator was completely neglected after implementation.

I can only figure somebody, not gonna finger Notch alone, at Mojang just simply hates third party development. Every update they're in a feature race with their own community and they sure as **** don't drive nicely, especially when their SDK went vaporware.

And yes I just love exploring a whole stronghold for three pieces of coal and an apple in one chest and a few books and paper in another. That there's only one per world just leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

Edited, Sep 20th 2011 12:21pm by Raelix


What amazes me is how a REAL game developer hasn't taken the concept of Minecraft and used it to create something vastly superior that does not suffer from these problems.
____________________________
my Tumblr
Pixelmon Server Info
FFXI-AH Profile
#8 Sep 21 2011 at 11:11 AM Rating: Excellent
Annoying Ass
ZAM Administrator
Avatar
*****
11,969 posts
Raelix wrote:

And yes I just love exploring a whole stronghold for three pieces of coal and an apple in one chest and a few books and paper in another. That there's only one per world just leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

As a slight consolation, I believe they're upping it to three spawning per world Smiley: nod

Yes, this last update was pretty fail. The new stuff they work on always looks cool... but then it takes several weeks/months to come out, and only some of it makes it in that patch. The latest round: updates to the Nether. I'll believe it when I see it...
____________________________
Retired News Writer for the ZAM Network
WoW - Aureliano the Insane - level 90 Druid on Sen'Jin
Nanaoki - level 90 Mage on Sen'Jin
#9 Sep 23 2011 at 12:05 AM Rating: Excellent
***
1,877 posts
LockeColeMA wrote:
The latest round: updates to the Nether. I'll believe it when I see it...


Making a believer one link at a time.
____________________________
#swaggerjacker
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 7 All times are in CDT
Anonymous Guests (7)