Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Maximum DPS, max level WarriorFollow

#1 Jan 24 2011 at 11:21 PM Rating: Decent
13 posts
Because I'm an excitable theorycrafter I decided to put together my opinion of the top DPS at (what I assume is max level) level 50, and walk through some of the more important choices I made. Here is the spec.

Why take Champion to 51? There are a few reasons: Titan's Strike is a ridiculously powerful AoE move, and Destroyer's Bearing is ridiculously powerful for single target and AoE. Cornered Beast is another incredibly powerful AoE and single target skill, as well as Bladefury. Other souls have other finishers, many quite powerful, but most don't have the really surprising power that both the root and talents the end of the Champion soul has. Grim Satisfaction is another reason that I'll get into later.

Well what's with Riftblade? Riftblade is taken for 2 reasons, and all other benefits are either minor or insignificant. Those reasons are called Storm Blade and Surging Energy. Storm Blade doubles the benefit of a critical hit (as I understand it, have not tested it), instead of merely critting for 150% damage, you crit for 150% direct damage and another 150% over 6 seconds. Stack this with the Destroyer's Bearing effect, and when you crit you hit direct damage for 150%, another 150% over 6 seconds as Air, and yet another 150% over 5 seconds. That is utterly ridiculous. The other reason, Surging Energy, is fairly obvious. It has incredible synergy with Grim Satisfaction. What these two mean together is that when you crit: A you do crazy 450% damage, B your next AP-generating move is reduced to 1/2 cost which means either 10 or 12.5 energy cost, and C you regenerate 15 energy. Whoa, wait, did I read that right? Yes, yes I did. When you crit, you actually get a net gain of energy on your next attack, in addition to doing ridiculous damage.

Okay, but why take Beastmaster? I was reaching out a little bit here. One, I'm hoping that your pet scales with your gear or level so it is actually useful in late game. And two, the main reason for taking this soul, is Backhanded Blow. If you take that talent, every time you're dodged or parried you can proc both Backhanded Blow and Inescapable Fury, at the same time because they're both off the GCD. Backhanded Blow is basically a free chance to crit, meaning 25-27.5 free energy plus a free AP, plus its own solid amount of damage. Without interrupting your rotation at all. The two extra points are really floaters. You could take Freeze Armor if your group needs the utility, or go for the small DPS boost of Natural Instincts.

This is now out of date, as Backhanded Blow and your pet are less powerful than I thought. Going to have to choose a new 3rd soul.

This build is clearly based around crit. Crit is extremely strong because of Destroyer and Stormblade, but also because once you reach a certain crit threshold that I have not mathed out yet, you will be regenerating more energy due to crits and natural regen then you will be spending, and therefore be able to use an ability every single GCD.

What about you? I'm curious, what for-lols/PvP/healing/whatever builds are YOU guys planning? I know I'm excited just theorycrafting, I can't wait to get to play :)

Edited, Jan 25th 2011 12:24am by Sententia

Edited, Feb 2nd 2011 9:55pm by Sententia
#2 Jan 25 2011 at 1:22 AM Rating: Decent
7 posts
If I am correct Summon Lesser Primal only grant you a max level 30 pet (thus creating the need for the Summon Greater Talent).
#3 Jan 25 2011 at 8:39 AM Rating: Decent
1 post
There is just one flaw, you depend to much on buffs, if the enemy can cripple that.... I guess removing enemy buffs will be very, very important in rift to counter such stuff.
#4 Jan 30 2011 at 10:39 PM Rating: Decent
2 posts
#5 Jan 31 2011 at 10:55 AM Rating: Decent
Repressed Memories
******
20,557 posts
You should be aware that critting is for 150% damage and not 200%.
#6 Feb 02 2011 at 8:53 AM Rating: Decent
2 posts
Beastmaster Backhanded Blow works only when you miss - not dodge or parry.

It is okay, but perhaps only a PvP talent if a class has something to increase your miss chance - Because the first tier of Beastmaster and any hit you'd get on gear would either cap you or decrease the effectiveness of backhanded to ridiculous levels.

I haven't yet played a warrior but I'd think there are better options.

I think some of your numbers are a bit off or the game doesn't quite work the way you think it does as well...
#7 Feb 02 2011 at 8:50 PM Rating: Decent
13 posts
Allegory wrote:
You should be aware that critting is for 150% damage and not 200%.

Well that puts a damper on things :<

Still a good build I'd guess, even with a crappy pet, near-useless backhanded blow, and crits for 450% instead of 600%. This is still assuming that Destroyer's Bearing and Storm Blade stack.

Winterfell30 wrote:
There is just one flaw, you depend to much on buffs, if the enemy can cripple that.... I guess removing enemy buffs will be very, very important in rift to counter such stuff.

This is true, but I'm assuming that Bearings, like a Warrior's Stances in WoW, can't be dispelled. I also don't expect too much dispelling going on in raids, as this is a PvE build. A Champion PvP build would probably have its 3rd soul as Vindicator instead of Beastmaster.


I'd take a soul to 51. The root abilities and talent points at the very ends of the trees are the most powerful, and I dare say that no PvE build will be viable without going 51 points into a given soul.

Edited, Feb 2nd 2011 9:51pm by Sententia
#8 Feb 02 2011 at 9:02 PM Rating: Decent
*
200 posts
Sententia wrote:


Well what's with Riftblade? Riftblade is taken for 2 reasons, and all other benefits are either minor or insignificant. Those reasons are called Storm Blade and Surging Energy. Storm Blade doubles the benefit of a critical hit (as I understand it, have not tested it), instead of merely critting for 150% damage, you crit for 150% direct damage and another 150% over 6 seconds. Stack this with the Destroyer's Bearing effect, and when you crit you hit direct damage for 150%, another 150% over 6 seconds as Air, and yet another 150% over 5 seconds. That is utterly ridiculous. The other reason, Surging Energy, is fairly obvious. It has incredible synergy with Grim Satisfaction. What these two mean together is that when you crit: A you do crazy 450% damage, B your next AP-generating move is reduced to 1/2 cost which means either 10 or 12.5 energy cost, and C you regenerate 15 energy. Whoa, wait, did I read that right? Yes, yes I did. When you crit, you actually get a net gain of energy on your next attack, in addition to doing ridiculous damage.

What about you? I'm curious, what for-lols/PvP/healing/whatever builds are YOU guys planning? I know I'm excited just theorycrafting, I can't wait to get to play :)

Edited, Jan 25th 2011 12:24am by Sententia

Edited, Feb 2nd 2011 9:55pm by Sententia


I was never good at theorycrafting but I think I see a major flaw in your reason for Riftblade. If you read Storm Blade and Destroyer's bearing again. Storm Blade is on Melee Attacks whil Destroyer's Bearing is on attack abilities. You aren't critting three times on any attacks like you thought. It is only twice on abilities and twice on Melee attacks.
#9 Feb 03 2011 at 8:35 AM Rating: Decent
2 posts
Stormblade says Melee abilities. Attack Abilities that are melee range aren't Melee abilities?
#10 Feb 03 2011 at 8:50 AM Rating: Decent
*
200 posts
I would guess not but I don't know. It def limits the build either way but they do strike me as seperate somehow. I am definetily not the authority on it though.
#11 Feb 03 2011 at 8:53 AM Rating: Decent
2 posts
I figured they put the Melee ability thing in Stormblade just so the ranged ability attacks/finishers wouldn't benefit (they figured it would be OP at range).

I'll try it out next push.

Edited, Feb 3rd 2011 9:53am by kurieg
#12 Feb 03 2011 at 9:13 AM Rating: Decent
1 post
For the 3rd soul, I would suggest 6 pts in Paragon. That way you not only get access to the 5% increase crit buff that makes up for not using Beastmaster, but you also get Strike Like Iron, which I am sure can be successfuly incorporated into a dps rotation.

The two floater points you had could possibly be used to get rift fury in the riftblade tree. My assumption is the storm blade damage counts as non-physical, so those two points would increase it from 100% to 114%, not sure though.
#13 Feb 03 2011 at 4:05 PM Rating: Decent
Repressed Memories
******
20,557 posts
Sententia wrote:
This is true, but I'm assuming that Bearings, like a Warrior's Stances in WoW, can't be dispelled. I also don't expect too much dispelling going on in raids, as this is a PvE build.

While I agree dispelling in a raid pve situation is fairly unlikely, I am also fairly certain that all class buffs in the game can be dispelled.
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 15 All times are in CDT
Anonymous Guests (15)