Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Rift is now Free to PlayFollow

#52 Jun 27 2013 at 9:17 PM Rating: Excellent
Gurue
*****
16,299 posts
I'm on Faeblight also. So if you guys are still playing (Ha! I kill me) when I get my new HD, I'll see you there.
#53 Jun 28 2013 at 9:53 AM Rating: Good
***
2,187 posts
Nadenu wrote:
Grind is Everquest, around 2001-2003. Ugh.

I miss Rift. But right now I'm holding this hard drive together with duct tape and bubble gum. Since my husband hasn't worked since December, I just can't see me spending even $50 right now on a crappy HD. But he's getting better, he hopes to be able to get back to work soon, then maybe I can start buying things other than groceries and electricity.

Nadenu wrote:
I'm on Faeblight also. So if you guys are still playing (Ha! I kill me) when I get my new HD, I'll see you there.
Ugh, sorry I didn't see this sooner. A guy was giving away 100 hard drives (80gig) on reddit yesterday. He pulled them from computers where he worked and was looking for people who might want a hard drive. 80g is not very big but free is an awfully good price.

Also, I have a couple of lower level characters on Faeblight, L15 I think. You folks have a guild set up?

____________________________
"the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."
Hermann Goering, April 1946.
#54 Jun 28 2013 at 1:19 PM Rating: Good
Ghost in the Machine
Avatar
******
36,439 posts
KTurner wrote:
Spoonless wrote:
Grinding is where you gather a party and head out to some overcrowded, remote location and then fight the same monster type again and again for a few hours in order to gain half a level or so, right? I mean, if you're lucky and your tank doesn't decide to leave after 20 minutes and then you spend another hour or so trying to find a replacement. And just when you find one, your healer has to take off. Then there's no healer so the tank you invited decides to join another group and then you give up and log out. Right?


My eye twitched just reading that, and ive never even played FFXI. (im assuming thats referencing ffxi...)


Sounds like SWG as well - pre-NGE.

You'd stand in line (yes, there were lines) for buffs and then head out to some remote spot with a group to kill stuff that would chew you up without buffs. God, I loved that game so much. This was back when MMOs felt like multiplayer games. The social interactions taking place while standing in line for buffs was crazy. You had dancers and musicians who would play music for tips (you'd join their group and listen to/watch them for a while and it would give you another buff). You had image designers who could change your character's appearance for a fee. You had doctors with their buffs and massive queues going in every direction. There were even crafters peddling armor and weapons, because that stuff deteriorated fast when you were grinding. In the meantime, people would sit around, talking, dueling, having a party while waiting for their group members to get buffed and join up.

Best part was when a Jedi showed up to get his buffs. With perma-death being in the game for that class, and Bounty Hunters able to take on bounties for Jedi players, a Jedi showing up would almost always end in a giant *********** of PvP, with one Jedi fending off a half dozen Bounty Hunters and other people joining in for some factional warfare (if the Bounty Hunters were flagged).

It was insane. Rose-tinted glasses aside, I have never experienced anything like that in any MMO since then. It was the magic of sandbox, but that sh*t died when the ADD generation started funneling money into the industry.

Edited, Jun 28th 2013 9:22pm by Mazra
____________________________
Please "talk up" if your comprehension white-shifts. I will use simple-happy language-words to help you understand.
#55 Jun 28 2013 at 1:26 PM Rating: Good
***
2,187 posts
Mazra wrote:
but that sh*t died when the ADD generation started funneling money into the industry.
Does this mean you're an old man now Maz?

____________________________
"the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."
Hermann Goering, April 1946.
#56 Jun 28 2013 at 1:33 PM Rating: Good
Terrorfiend
*****
12,905 posts
cynyck wrote:

Also, I have a couple of lower level characters on Faeblight, L15 I think. You folks have a guild set up?


Getting there. As far as I can tell there are ~4 people playing on Faeblight. one doesnt seem that interested in the game(Bean) and one has HD problems (Nadenu)

So basically just Demea and me. >_>

But hey, i know absolutely nobody that wants to play Rift so this is as good as it gets. Smiley: lol
#57 Jun 28 2013 at 2:24 PM Rating: Good
***
2,265 posts
Hey I never said I wouldnt play it, I want a grindy game to listen to a book series. It will work I was complaining about how skill dont seem to have any impact on mobs you hit a button but all you get is numbers no impact. I played a bit yesterday (14 warrior) and Im wearing the armor you sent. I bought my first mount and nearly threw my keyboard out the window because its practically walking speed for 2.5 plat which is all i have.

Im on a VERY unstable net connection until Monday when Fios gets installed, I found another neighbor with open wifi but they are a few apts away and its a terrible signal. I think I dced like 3 times playing over 2 hours from weak signal.

____________________________
What I Play
Recently Played
#58 Jun 28 2013 at 2:49 PM Rating: Good
Terrorfiend
*****
12,905 posts
BeanX the Irrelevant wrote:
Hey I never said I wouldnt play it, I want a grindy game to listen to a book series. It will work I was complaining about how skill dont seem to have any impact on mobs you hit a button but all you get is numbers no impact. I played a bit yesterday (14 warrior) and Im wearing the armor you sent. I bought my first mount and nearly threw my keyboard out the window because its practically walking speed for 2.5 plat which is all i have.

Im on a VERY unstable net connection until Monday when Fios gets installed, I found another neighbor with open wifi but they are a few apts away and its a terrible signal. I think I dced like 3 times playing over 2 hours from weak signal.



All i know is warrior was a blast to play when i played it. Ive been doing a lot of reading on the class currently and everything i knew and loved has been changed drastically, not to say its not fun anymore, just very different.

I had this great reaver/riftblade AoE DoT build that was just hilarious, mainly because when I got ganked with it my damage came on so slowly that the enemy thought they were safe. but i'd have an infestation bomb nested in a big list of DoTs (more dots on the target meant more infestation damage) that would go off and take a good 50-60% of their life in one tick. Usually it killed them because the other dots and my attacks had already done enough damage.

I got a lot of laughs out of that build.

Anyway, im sure your build will become more exciting eventually, and you could always try other builds out.
#59 Jun 28 2013 at 2:57 PM Rating: Good
***
2,265 posts
No no no your missing what Im saying. Im not talking about the build. Im saying in wow when you hit a button the animation for said skill is anstant and usually looks to have impact on the mob, rift it doesnt. When you hit a button in right my guy kind of slowly swings his axe, and it seems to kind of pass through the mob, not really effecting the mob just making numbers appear.
Maybe its just me, I feel the same way on CoD games MW1-3 I feel the bullets have impact and theres weighyt to everything, while Cod: WaW,BO I always felt the guns were pee shooter-y (to make up my own words), BO2 semi fixed this though.

Build Im doing w/e the default tells me to do as I level.
____________________________
What I Play
Recently Played
#60 Jun 28 2013 at 3:10 PM Rating: Good
Terrorfiend
*****
12,905 posts
Ah i get what you're saying. I dont recall that ever really changing, or bothering me for that matter. Maybe some of the more magic based builds have flashier animations. My mage had decent casting animations, fwiw. Nothing as flashy and cool as Tera, i'll give you that.
#61 Jun 28 2013 at 5:15 PM Rating: Good
Official Shrubbery Waterer
*****
14,567 posts
KTurner wrote:
cynyck wrote:

Also, I have a couple of lower level characters on Faeblight, L15 I think. You folks have a guild set up?


Getting there. As far as I can tell there are ~4 people playing on Faeblight. one doesnt seem that interested in the game(Bean) and one has HD problems (Nadenu)

So basically just Demea and me. >_>

But hey, i know absolutely nobody that wants to play Rift so this is as good as it gets. Smiley: lol

We'll have a guild as soon as KT comes up with a decent name.
____________________________
Jophiel wrote:
I managed to be both retarded and entertaining.

#62 Jun 28 2013 at 5:32 PM Rating: Good
***
2,265 posts
Omnibus ?
____________________________
What I Play
Recently Played
#63 Jun 28 2013 at 5:40 PM Rating: Good
Ghost in the Machine
Avatar
******
36,439 posts
cynyck wrote:
Mazra wrote:
but that sh*t died when the ADD generation started funneling money into the industry.
Does this mean you're an old man now Maz?


I was born old, grumpy and drunk.

Edit: No, seriously, my mom's sister ran a home distillery due to Sweden's strict alcohol laws, and my mom and dad slept in the attic where the equipment was set up while my mom was pregnant with me. I was introduced to alcohol at an early age.

Edited, Jun 29th 2013 1:49am by Mazra
____________________________
Please "talk up" if your comprehension white-shifts. I will use simple-happy language-words to help you understand.
#64 Jun 28 2013 at 6:42 PM Rating: Excellent
Gurue
*****
16,299 posts
Demea wrote:
KTurner wrote:
cynyck wrote:

Also, I have a couple of lower level characters on Faeblight, L15 I think. You folks have a guild set up?


Getting there. As far as I can tell there are ~4 people playing on Faeblight. one doesnt seem that interested in the game(Bean) and one has HD problems (Nadenu)

So basically just Demea and me. >_>

But hey, i know absolutely nobody that wants to play Rift so this is as good as it gets. Smiley: lol

We'll have a guild as soon as KT comes up with a decent name.

The Breakfast Club!

Wait, that was CoH. Never mind.
#65 Jun 28 2013 at 7:19 PM Rating: Good
Terrorfiend
*****
12,905 posts
BeanX the Irrelevant wrote:
Omnibus ?


No. Demea's got a way better one anyway.
#66 Jun 28 2013 at 7:22 PM Rating: Good
Unforkgettable
*****
13,251 posts
Born to Fail.
____________________________
Banh
#67 Jun 28 2013 at 11:06 PM Rating: Good
***
2,187 posts
Shouldn't it have the word "Knights" in it, and then something mis-spelled? Like Knights of Meridean or something?


EDIT: ouch, speaking of mis-spelling.



Edited, Jun 29th 2013 1:07am by cynyck
____________________________
"the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."
Hermann Goering, April 1946.
#68 Jun 29 2013 at 10:05 AM Rating: Excellent
Official Shrubbery Waterer
*****
14,567 posts
We went with "Little Lebowski Urban Achievers".
____________________________
Jophiel wrote:
I managed to be both retarded and entertaining.

#69 Jun 29 2013 at 11:23 AM Rating: Good
Sage
Avatar
****
8,180 posts
Demea wrote:
We went with "Little Lebowski Urban Achievers".


<3 it.

Also if anyone is interested, Greybriar is having their Pride Walk later tonight.

http://rift.junkiesnation.com/2013/06/26/player-run-pride-parade-set-for-june-29th/
____________________________
Things I sometimes play...

"What do you want to be when you grow up?"
"I want to be a unicorn!"
"Awww, why's that?"........
"So I can stab people with my face."
#70 Jun 30 2013 at 10:04 AM Rating: Excellent
Guru
Avatar
*****
11,147 posts
My general critique on Rift is if you want a raider's game, go for it. If you're someone who can't contribute to that kind of play style regularly, than it'll have a relatively short life since the gear ceiling caps rather low for casuals, albeit rather grindy to do so. There are glimmers of good ideas here and there. Also a lot of "What the **** were they thinking?!" about stuff like Conquest power decay and the like. Though, I'm of the mind the enhanced cross-shard functionality they added a few months back (accidentally, mind you) is probably the best thing the game had done in a while. For those who can't create characters on Faeblight due to it being full, you can still hop over to the shard if you get an invite from someone who is there, then right click on their name in the party window the 'Join Instance'. Things like using a port or general "change your location" type things will likely send you back to your home shard, but you can just right click again. And while someone mentioned cross-server chat, you can have friends from other servers, too. Just put whoever@shard when they ask for the name in the social prompt. Only thing you really lose here is the ability to trade cross-shard and potential guild perk differences, but I think they intend to fix the former eventually, maybe. Probably doing the whole "How to not let RMT ruin it for everyone" thing.
____________________________
Violence good. **** bad. Yay America.
#71 Jun 30 2013 at 10:12 AM Rating: Good
Terrorfiend
*****
12,905 posts
Seriha wrote:
For those who can't create characters on Faeblight due to it being full, you can still hop over to the shard if you get an invite from someone who is there, then right click on their name in the party window the 'Join Instance'. Things like using a port or general "change your location" type things will likely send you back to your home shard, but you can just right click again. And while someone mentioned cross-server chat, you can have friends from other servers, too. Just put whoever@shard when they ask for the name in the social prompt.


Good to know, thanks

Tried transferring again today and it worked, I think it just had to do with the 7 day transfer limitation after all.

Edited, Jun 30th 2013 9:45am by KTurner
#72 Jun 30 2013 at 11:23 AM Rating: Good
Guru
Avatar
*****
11,147 posts
Think the players also set up a few channels:

/join CrossEvents@Faeblight
/join CrossRaids@Faeblight

Might be mistaken on the second, but their basic idea is for people to hook up for things like cross-shard zone events, hunt rifts, etc. while the second is for PUG raiding. Granted, some people just use them to spam their random blabber, but if you're looking for something to do, talking on either might get you an invite to something.

Additionally, if you're looking to follow event starts on other shards, you can /join Events@shard. I would advise doing this on its own chat tab, but also be warned that due to the number of shards, the log bugs out at times and sometimes you'll get messages in tabs you shouldn't. Of note, people going to a PvP shard will get kicked from a group if someone from the other faction is there. As well, I believe people from a PvP shard need to be invited from someone in their faction to head to another. One of those things "Trion is looking into" but probably not priority.
____________________________
Violence good. **** bad. Yay America.
#73 Jun 30 2013 at 2:18 PM Rating: Good
Ghost in the Machine
Avatar
******
36,439 posts
Latency seems manageable on a NA server. Only 150-200 ms from what I can tell.

I'll be hanging out there for a bit to see if the latency picks up or what. If not then I might stick around. Name's Sazya, because Mazra was taken (what is up with someone taking my handle in every game these days?) and I needed a girly name for my girly elf.
____________________________
Please "talk up" if your comprehension white-shifts. I will use simple-happy language-words to help you understand.
#74 Jun 30 2013 at 8:59 PM Rating: Good
***
2,187 posts
Well, I'm running around on my lower level Defiants: Invigorate, Cyanosis, and Nyteshadow. I won't transfer my higher level Cleric over for now.

And Maz, definitely name your girly elf Blad.

____________________________
"the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."
Hermann Goering, April 1946.
#75 Jul 01 2013 at 8:41 AM Rating: Good
Terrorfiend
*****
12,905 posts
Be sure to add Dorfenstien and Ogbamf.
#76 Jul 01 2013 at 11:54 AM Rating: Good
Ghost in the Machine
Avatar
******
36,439 posts
Blad? Leaf? Smiley: dubious

Saw Ogbamf on last night, but had to log off, so didn't poke.
____________________________
Please "talk up" if your comprehension white-shifts. I will use simple-happy language-words to help you understand.
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 67 All times are in CDT
Anonymous Guests (67)