Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Final Fantasy XVFollow

#1002 Sep 09 2013 at 9:47 AM Rating: Good
*****
19,982 posts
That is something I like hearing, very much. Granted, I don't intend to grab a PS4 at launch, and no clue if I'll grab one at all, but hey I save $40.
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#1003 Sep 09 2013 at 9:55 AM Rating: Good
Unforkgettable
*****
13,251 posts
I have one preordered, and have been putting my beer money towards it. It's been a fairly good way of curbing my excessive drinking habit.
____________________________
Banh
#1004 Sep 09 2013 at 10:52 AM Rating: Good
*****
19,982 posts
I keep telling myself to start bringing my ******* lunch, and pool the cash I don't spend on that.

So far, I've been extremely unsuccessful in remembering to do so...

But $25-50 a week definitely adds up quickly.
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#1005 Sep 09 2013 at 4:23 PM Rating: Decent
Keeper of the Shroud
*****
13,176 posts
I already sold my 360 (it had been sitting unused for nearly 8 months) and put the money aside as start on the PS4 budget. I'll probably wait until next year to actually buy one though, that should give them time to get a few more titles out there for me to buy. Right now the only games I'm interested in are ACIV: Blag Flag, and Watch Dogs, and both of those will be available for current and next gen, so I'm not really in a hurry.
#1006 Sep 09 2013 at 5:40 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,471 posts
With the announcement that the PS4 isn't being released until February in Japan, I'm thinking holding off until then is the best bet. That's most likely when we'll see the best bundles and limited edition type stuff. What would be nice is a FFXIV PS4 bundle since the XIV PS4 beta doesn't start until February as well.

From what I read, owning the PS3 version lets you into the PS4 beta for free. I didn't see anything about getting the game for free. I only read one article on it though. Remote play on the Vita sounds cool. Veg out on the couch and do my tradeskills or farming while watching a movie, instead of at my desk.
#1007 Sep 09 2013 at 6:19 PM Rating: Excellent
Unforkgettable
*****
13,251 posts
Raolan wrote:
From what I read, owning the PS3 version lets you into the PS4 beta for free. I didn't see anything about getting the game for free. I only read one article on it though. Remote play on the Vita sounds cool. Veg out on the couch and do my tradeskills or farming while watching a movie, instead of at my desk.

https://twitter.com/FF_XIV_EN/status/377133943373307904

Quote:
We're pleased to announce that PlayStation 3 #FFXIV users will be able to upgrade to the PS4 version of FFXIV: ARR for free!
____________________________
Banh
#1008 Sep 12 2013 at 8:45 AM Rating: Excellent
*****
10,534 posts
Progress update: I'm almost 48, and with the additional rested xp due to yesterday's maintenance I'll have rested xp all the way to 50 (also meaning that I'll have not run out of rested xp since I was 38... though my CUL and BTN have suffered as a result). My goal is to hit 49 tonight and 50 tomorrow.

Also, yesterday's patch notes (emphasis mine): http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/news/detail/0925caac86d708753315db5405ebe450663fde03

Quote:
A version update was performed on FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn at the following time.

* Clients will update automatically upon launch after the date and time below.

[Date & Time]
Sep. 11, 2013 around 7:15 p.m. (PDT)

[Affected Service]
FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn

[Update Details]
The following features have been implemented:

-An auto-logout feature has been introduced wherein characters that are inactive for 30 minutes will be automatically logged out of the game.

The following adjustments and countermeasures have been implemented:

-Changes have been made to the behavior and mechanics of the enemies found within the “The Wanderer’s Palace” and “Amdapor Keep” dungeons to counteract instances of players running through the dungeon without engaging enemies on the way to bosses.
As advancing through dungeons without defeating enemies is not an intended strategy, we plan to continue making further changes in the future to discourage this type of behavior.

-In instance dungeon “The Wanderer's Palace” and “Amdapor Keep”, we have increased the amount of AllaganCoins that can be obtained from a treasure chest.
-Reduced the amount of gil required for repair fees and materia removal as follows:

Equipment levels 1-10: 10 gil -> No Change
Equipment levels 11-20: 50 gil -> 30 gil
Equipment levels 21-30: 100 gil -> 60 gil
Equipment levels 31-40: 210 gil -> 120 gil
Equipment levels 41-40: 500 gil -> 200 gil

-Reduced the price of Dark Matter as follows:
Dark Matter G1: 5 gil -> 4 gil
Dark Matter G2: 30 gil -> 12 gil
Dark Matter G3: 70 gil -> 24 gil
Dark Matter G4: 150 gil -> 48 gil
Dark Matter G5: 350 gil -> 80 gil



A temporary countermeasure has been implemented for the following issue:

-For the issue wherein the “Manor Sentries” found within the Haukke Manor dungeon could become stuck and prevent players from progressing through the instanced dungeon, we have changed the original location of “Manor Sentries” to the second floor.


The following issues have been addressed:

-The server would crash under certain conditions during instanced dungeons.
-Characters would sometimes get stuck in the “Binding Coil of Bahamut” dungeon after the party was wiped out.
-Bomb Boulders would sometimes fail to appear in “The Navel (Hard)” battle.
-Certain monsters would sometimes get stuck in the “Amdapor Keep” dungeon.
-The option to return to Home Point would not display when completing a primal battle while being KO’d.
-The entry point for the “The Thousand Maws of Toto-Rak” dungeon was shown in the field in the “Stinging Back” guildhest.
-The “Steel Reign” FATE would sometimes fail to appear.
-Completing the “Behold Now Behemoth” FATE would sometimes cause the server to crash.
-If the player was disconnected during the “Lady of the Vortex” instanced battle, the Duty List, Journal, and Journal Map may display incorrectly.
-The “Notorious Biggs” quest could sometimes be progressed without completing the instanced battle.
-There were occasions where it was impossible to target the snowman in the “Speak Softly to Me” quest.
-The cutscene was canceled if the player was attacked during the “Lord of Crags” cutscene.
-If a player logged out while being bound by duty within an instance, and logged back in after conclusion of the instance, the free company chat would not work.
-Mog Letters were not sent properly in some instances.
-Certain conditions would sometimes cause the server to crash while interacting with the free company
“Company Chest”.
-The “Reach” gauge was sometimes not selectable when in a new, unknown gathering point.
-In some instances, the specified items to collect were incorrect in the “A Relic Reborn” quest.
-In some instances, the specified enemies to defeat were incorrect in the “A Relic Reborn” quest.
____________________________
◕ ‿‿ ◕
#1009 Sep 12 2013 at 9:09 AM Rating: Good
@#%^
*****
15,822 posts
How is the level grind when compared to FFXI and/or WoW?
____________________________
"I have lost my way
But I hear a tale
About a heaven in Alberta
Where they've got all **** for a basement"

#1010 Sep 12 2013 at 9:12 AM Rating: Excellent
Muggle@#%^er
*****
19,982 posts
Was a 10 hour maintenance really necessary for that?

Also, if they're going to continue having routine NA maintenance during prime time, It's really going to turn me off playing. I accept that maintenance is a thing that is necessary and it may sometime happen during peak hours. I won't accept the stupidity of having it during peak hours as a rule.

But I'm sure Spoon will be happy about the cost reductions. Smiley: lol


I hit 15 on my Arcanist yesterday. Today, I'll probably go ahead and unlock White Mage. Not sure what I'll do after that, though. I had never really intended to main Whm, and I AM enjoying Arcanist, but it also makes sense to just head towards 50 to get the maximum exp benefit for everything else.

But I also want to do more crafting. Smiley: grin
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#1011 Sep 12 2013 at 9:15 AM Rating: Good
******
44,496 posts
idiggory wrote:
Was a 10 hour maintenance really necessary for that?

Also, if they're going to continue having routine NA maintenance during prime time, It's really going to turn me off playing.
I thought you played XI.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#1012 Sep 12 2013 at 9:24 AM Rating: Good
Muggle@#%^er
*****
19,982 posts
Iamadam wrote:
How is the level grind when compared to FFXI and/or WoW?


Depends.

There are 5 major sources of exp in the game:
Quests
FATES (world event quests that pop up a lot)
Your Hunting log (kill 3 of x mob for an exp bonus, big bonus for completing 10)
Levequests (repeatable Fate-esque quest events specific to you that you choose)
Dungeons/Guildheists (the latter being party-based levequests that probably aren't really worth it except as a teaching mechanism)

Each city territory has quest hubs through cap (or up until close to it, at least). Each city is probably good for getting one battle class up to 50 once combined with FATES, leves, periodic dungeons, and the hunting log.

There is a main story line, and that quest series is essentially worth another city. Doing that, plus the hunting log, FATES, levequests, and dungeons is essentially how I hit 30, without touching much of the other quests on my Cnj.

So that is 4 classes to cap without grinding.

After that, it's just the Fate events, repeatable leve quests, hunting log, and dungeons.

I should note that Fate parties (go from Fate to Fate in a group as they pop up in a zone) are easily the fastest way to level in game right now, and they're super active (you're generally always killing stuff or on the move).

So it's not so bad. Might be sort of boring if you intend to take EVERY class up, but just judging by how fast I hit 15 on my Arcanist versus my Cnj, the exp buff for the class level difference is DEFINITELY noticeable.

I'm guessing the game is primarily structured so that getting a class to level 36 or so (when you'd get the last of the cross-class abilities, more or less, from that class) is meant to be relatively easy, but the last 15 or so levels are longer to get through.
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#1013 Sep 12 2013 at 9:26 AM Rating: Good
Muggle@#%^er
*****
19,982 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
idiggory wrote:
Was a 10 hour maintenance really necessary for that?

Also, if they're going to continue having routine NA maintenance during prime time, It's really going to turn me off playing.
I thought you played XI.


XI had international servers hosted in Japan. I accepted the maintenance then, because it was always going to inconvenience somebody.

But the servers aren't integrated in ARR. NA servers are for NA and hosted in Canada. Every other international MMO structures their maintenance around the prime gaming hours for that territory, to the best of their ability. There's absolutely no reason maintenance needs to be happening on JP and NA servers at the same time.
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#1014 Sep 12 2013 at 9:53 AM Rating: Good
@#%^
*****
15,822 posts
idiggory wrote:
Iamadam wrote:
How is the level grind when compared to FFXI and/or WoW?


Depends.

There are 5 major sources of exp in the game:
Quests
FATES (world event quests that pop up a lot)
Your Hunting log (kill 3 of x mob for an exp bonus, big bonus for completing 10)
Levequests (repeatable Fate-esque quest events specific to you that you choose)
Dungeons/Guildheists (the latter being party-based levequests that probably aren't really worth it except as a teaching mechanism)

Each city territory has quest hubs through cap (or up until close to it, at least). Each city is probably good for getting one battle class up to 50 once combined with FATES, leves, periodic dungeons, and the hunting log.

There is a main story line, and that quest series is essentially worth another city. Doing that, plus the hunting log, FATES, levequests, and dungeons is essentially how I hit 30, without touching much of the other quests on my Cnj.

So that is 4 classes to cap without grinding.

After that, it's just the Fate events, repeatable leve quests, hunting log, and dungeons.

I should note that Fate parties (go from Fate to Fate in a group as they pop up in a zone) are easily the fastest way to level in game right now, and they're super active (you're generally always killing stuff or on the move).

So it's not so bad. Might be sort of boring if you intend to take EVERY class up, but just judging by how fast I hit 15 on my Arcanist versus my Cnj, the exp buff for the class level difference is DEFINITELY noticeable.

I'm guessing the game is primarily structured so that getting a class to level 36 or so (when you'd get the last of the cross-class abilities, more or less, from that class) is meant to be relatively easy, but the last 15 or so levels are longer to get through.


So it sounds like it's somewhere between FFXI and WoW? (WoW being really easy to cap)
____________________________
"I have lost my way
But I hear a tale
About a heaven in Alberta
Where they've got all **** for a basement"

#1015 Sep 12 2013 at 10:43 AM Rating: Good
Worst. Title. Ever!
*****
15,232 posts
idiggory wrote:
lolgaxe wrote:
idiggory wrote:
Was a 10 hour maintenance really necessary for that?

Also, if they're going to continue having routine NA maintenance during prime time, It's really going to turn me off playing.
I thought you played XI.


XI had international servers hosted in Japan. I accepted the maintenance then, because it was always going to inconvenience somebody.

But the servers aren't integrated in ARR. NA servers are for NA and hosted in Canada. Every other international MMO structures their maintenance around the prime gaming hours for that territory, to the best of their ability. There's absolutely no reason maintenance needs to be happening on JP and NA servers at the same time.


There was a hardware upgrade too, similar to the last big (same time) maintenance. I'm sure all the SE networking guys are in Japan, and 0:00-10:00 GMT is during office hours over in Japan. And the NA/EU servers are in the same location, so either they'd ***** up EU peak hours or NA peak hours.
____________________________
Can't sleep, clown will eat me.
#1016 Sep 12 2013 at 11:42 AM Rating: Default
It's Just a Flesh Wound
******
22,697 posts
8pm until 6pm is almost as far away from primetime as you can get. What are you smoking? You sound like the people who complained about an 18 hour maint going right through prime time back during xi.
____________________________
Dear people I don't like: 凸(●´―`●)凸
#1017 Sep 12 2013 at 1:42 PM Rating: Good
Muggle@#%^er
*****
19,982 posts
TirithRR wrote:
idiggory wrote:
lolgaxe wrote:
idiggory wrote:
Was a 10 hour maintenance really necessary for that?

Also, if they're going to continue having routine NA maintenance during prime time, It's really going to turn me off playing.
I thought you played XI.


XI had international servers hosted in Japan. I accepted the maintenance then, because it was always going to inconvenience somebody.

But the servers aren't integrated in ARR. NA servers are for NA and hosted in Canada. Every other international MMO structures their maintenance around the prime gaming hours for that territory, to the best of their ability. There's absolutely no reason maintenance needs to be happening on JP and NA servers at the same time.


There was a hardware upgrade too, similar to the last big (same time) maintenance. I'm sure all the SE networking guys are in Japan, and 0:00-10:00 GMT is during office hours over in Japan. And the NA/EU servers are in the same location, so either they'd ***** up EU peak hours or NA peak hours.


I know why, I just don't care. Because the reasons are equally stupid. There's no good reasons to be hosting the NA and EU servers in the same location. Why force that latency on everyone in the EU?

And they should have a networking team for each of those territories.

Deadgye wrote:
8pm until 6pm is almost as far away from primetime as you can get. What are you smoking? You sound like the people who complained about an 18 hour maint going right through prime time back during xi.


Umm, what? You realize that 8 PM EST is 5 PST?

And that people don't really start logging on in large numbers until they've been home for work for a while, which means the server doesn't generally start to get really loaded until after 6?

And that with all three time zones playing, 8-10:30 is easily the busiest time of the game?
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#1018 Sep 12 2013 at 2:17 PM Rating: Good
Unforkgettable
*****
13,251 posts
Deadgye wrote:
8pm until 6pm is almost as far away from primetime as you can get.
Yeah, no. Maybe 8AM-6PM.

Edited, Sep 12th 2013 4:17pm by Spoonless
____________________________
Banh
#1019 Sep 12 2013 at 2:24 PM Rating: Good
Unforkgettable
*****
13,251 posts
I guess I could play tonight. I really need to start running Amdapor Keep for Tomestones.
____________________________
Banh
#1020 Sep 13 2013 at 7:58 AM Rating: Good
*****
10,534 posts
Well, I'm 49. Should hit 50 tonight. Need to run Aurum Vale and Camp Westwood (and whatever story-related scenarios/dungeons I need after that), and then it'll be time to start running AK, etc...
____________________________
◕ ‿‿ ◕
#1021 Sep 13 2013 at 8:28 AM Rating: Good
Unforkgettable
*****
13,251 posts
I should probably log in for more than 5 minutes. I still have like 3 or 4 dungeons I've yet to run that I want to for completion's sake.
____________________________
Banh
#1022 Sep 13 2013 at 8:54 AM Rating: Good
Muggle@#%^er
*****
19,982 posts
I'm 32 now. Perk of not commuting today, I get to spend that two hours playing FFXIV instead. Smiley: lol

Ended up just mostly doing Fates, because I needed to ding to unlock the next story mission. Got my Freecure trait, and just two levels until Stoneskin (which means hitting full cross-class potential from Cnj).

Haven't decided where I'm going from here. Half of me is saying just continue on until 50 for the exp bonus. Half of me sees so many other pretty classes...

Either way, I'll probably take the story mission through Titan first.

When considering cross-class abilities for the White Mage, it's kind of rough. There's a really useful skill at Arc 34, and one at Thaum 26. Otherwise, the only really useful skills are Virus and Surecast (which I already have). Oh, and Thunder for soloing, but I have it already.


So I'm thinking the WISE path would be to take Whm all the way to 50, for the maximum exp bonus for everything else. It's not like I'll really miss those two cross-class abilities before endgame content.

But the other part of me sees all the other classes and they're SO PRETTY. Hmm...
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#1023 Sep 13 2013 at 8:55 AM Rating: Good
*****
10,534 posts
Yea, I still need to do Aurum Vale. Tried it though DF yesterday, and we couldn't even get past the first boss due to the idiot tank. I also need to do the 49+ story missions (currently on Camp Westwood or w/e).
____________________________
◕ ‿‿ ◕
#1024 Sep 13 2013 at 9:25 AM Rating: Good
Unforkgettable
*****
13,251 posts
idiggory wrote:
I'm 32 now. Perk of not commuting today, I get to spend that two hours playing FFXIV instead. Smiley: lol

Ended up just mostly doing Fates, because I needed to ding to unlock the next story mission. Got my Freecure trait, and just two levels until Stoneskin (which means hitting full cross-class potential from Cnj).

Haven't decided where I'm going from here. Half of me is saying just continue on until 50 for the exp bonus. Half of me sees so many other pretty classes...

Either way, I'll probably take the story mission through Titan first.

When considering cross-class abilities for the White Mage, it's kind of rough. There's a really useful skill at Arc 34, and one at Thaum 26. Otherwise, the only really useful skills are Virus and Surecast (which I already have). Oh, and Thunder for soloing, but I have it already.


So I'm thinking the WISE path would be to take Whm all the way to 50, for the maximum exp bonus for everything else. It's not like I'll really miss those two cross-class abilities before endgame content.

But the other part of me sees all the other classes and they're SO PRETTY. Hmm...
Depending on what you want to play, I might actually suggest switching to ARC now (or getting THM to 15 and then switching). If you unlock both SCH and SMN, you can play SMN when you have someone to shorten your queues, or for leveling, and SCH if you need a quick queue. But if you enjoy CNJ/WHM, by all means, take it to 50 first.
____________________________
Banh
#1025 Sep 13 2013 at 9:47 AM Rating: Good
Muggle@#%^er
*****
19,982 posts
I have chronic altitis. I will always enjoy the class I am not currently playing more. Smiley: lol

The most curious case of my altitis still remains leveling a second DK in WoW...

I'm torn. I always really liked playing Tanks, so Marauder and Gladiator have a lot of innate appeal. I also enjoy healing, so Scholar and Whm are appealing. But DD can be fun, too...

Do you see where I'm going with this? Smiley: lol

As of right now, I'd say that I'm least interested in Pugilist. So there's that.
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#1026 Sep 13 2013 at 10:30 AM Rating: Decent
Keeper of the Shroud
*****
13,176 posts
I'm on Titan fight now if you want to run it later.
#1027 Sep 13 2013 at 11:05 AM Rating: Good
Muggle@#%^er
*****
19,982 posts
I'm on Brayflox right now. How much longer after that dungeon comes Titan? Just giving you some context for where I am, so you don't have to wait for me if it'll be a while.
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#1028 Sep 13 2013 at 1:17 PM Rating: Good
*****
10,534 posts
Titan is pretty soon after Brayflox iirc. Just a few more series of quests.
____________________________
◕ ‿‿ ◕
#1029 Sep 13 2013 at 1:35 PM Rating: Good
Muggle@#%^er
*****
19,982 posts
Went into Bray, got my *** handed to me. A lot. Granted, the tank sucked, but still. The amount of damage they were taking was crazy.
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#1030 Sep 13 2013 at 2:29 PM Rating: Decent
Keeper of the Shroud
*****
13,176 posts
If you need a DD, I'd run Brayflox again. There is some pretty decent gear in there.
#1031 Sep 13 2013 at 2:38 PM Rating: Good
Muggle@#%^er
*****
19,982 posts
Cleared it on my second run. Which was actually all people farming gear, which meant that pretty much everything went straight into my armoury chest. Smiley: lol

No upgrades, though.
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#1032 Sep 13 2013 at 2:50 PM Rating: Good
***
2,043 posts
idiggory wrote:
I have chronic altitis. I will always enjoy the class I am not currently playing more. Smiley: lol

The most curious case of my altitis still remains leveling a second DK in WoW...

I'm torn. I always really liked playing Tanks, so Marauder and Gladiator have a lot of innate appeal. I also enjoy healing, so Scholar and Whm are appealing. But DD can be fun, too...

Do you see where I'm going with this? Smiley: lol

As of right now, I'd say that I'm least interested in Pugilist. So there's that.
I'm a hardcore altaholic myself. I know this is a bit sadistic of me to tell you this, but I leveled a Pugilist to 17 and had a blast. It's a very complex class. You need to not only consider the order of your skills, but the uptime of the de-buffs to manage their own rotation, and the positioning of your character in terms of the mob (side, back, side). When you do it all correctly, no one can touch you in terms of dps. At least at L17.

And there's a L42 cross-class skill called Mantra which is described as: "Increases HP recovery via curing magic by 20% for self and nearby party members." Sounds nice for use with an AoE heal.

____________________________
One of my opinions is worth three of your facts.

#1033 Sep 13 2013 at 2:52 PM Rating: Good
Unforkgettable
*****
13,251 posts
Brayflox is really fun. I'll run it if I'm on, and if I'm not running whatever Vataro has been asking me to run that I also need. Something with an 'A' I think?
____________________________
Banh
#1034 Sep 13 2013 at 2:54 PM Rating: Good
*****
10,534 posts
Quote:
When you do it all correctly, no one can touch you in terms of dps. At least at L17.


And as we all know, L17 is the gold standard for comparing dps classes! Smiley: tongue

Seriously though, in my time leveling and going through pretty much all of the pre-50 dungeons, most dps classes seem to be on par with each other numbers-wise and it's dependent on execution and boss mechanics.
____________________________
◕ ‿‿ ◕
#1035 Sep 13 2013 at 2:59 PM Rating: Good
Unforkgettable
*****
13,251 posts
I haven't been running meters. I have no idea what anyone is doing. All I pay attention to is the little hate bars and whether all the DPS are focusing the targets I marked (usually if they do, it's by pure happy accident).
____________________________
Banh
#1036 Sep 13 2013 at 5:39 PM Rating: Good
***
2,043 posts
Vataro wrote:
Quote:
When you do it all correctly, no one can touch you in terms of dps. At least at L17.


And as we all know, L17 is the gold standard for comparing dps classes! Smiley: tongue

Seriously though, in my time leveling and going through pretty much all of the pre-50 dungeons, most dps classes seem to be on par with each other numbers-wise and it's dependent on execution and boss mechanics.
You are not helping! He thinks the one class he can rule out leveling is Pugilist. Yes, I did feel a bit guilty making that statement, which is why I said "at least at L17," but I went ahead and made it anyway because it was for the greater good. Smiley: cool


____________________________
One of my opinions is worth three of your facts.

#1037 Sep 13 2013 at 5:41 PM Rating: Good
Muggle@#%^er
*****
19,982 posts
PUGILIST WHAT'S THAT I CAN'T HEAR WHAT YOU'RE SAYING

MOVING ON

Also, Titan get. That was a pretty easy fight, all things considered. We lost two people, but none of us had done it before, and it took too long for people to listen to me when I pointed out the cleave effect. So I was mana starved far more than I'd have liked.

But still, beat him with me and the tank still up.
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#1038 Sep 13 2013 at 6:07 PM Rating: Good
*****
10,534 posts
Spoonless wrote:
I haven't been running meters. I have no idea what anyone is doing. All I pay attention to is the little hate bars and whether all the DPS are focusing the targets I marked (usually if they do, it's by pure happy accident).


I run them occasionally, if I remember. They're not perfect but they do give me a decent idea of what I should be striving for for single targets at least. I generally subscribe to "if the mobs/boss died and no one died, then we probably did fine" mentality, but it doesn't hurt to try to improve!
____________________________
◕ ‿‿ ◕
#1039 Sep 13 2013 at 6:15 PM Rating: Good
*****
10,534 posts
Ding 50!
____________________________
◕ ‿‿ ◕
#1040 Sep 13 2013 at 10:52 PM Rating: Good
Keeper of the Shroud
*****
13,176 posts
Stop leveling so fast!!!!!111!!111!Smiley: mad

My highest is 36 Dragoon. I keep getting distracted by crafting. I've got 27 Leather, 22, Carpenter, 20 Blacksmith, 19 Botany, and 17 Mining.
#1041 Sep 14 2013 at 5:33 AM Rating: Good
Unforkgettable
*****
13,251 posts
Vataro wrote:
Spoonless wrote:
I haven't been running meters. I have no idea what anyone is doing. All I pay attention to is the little hate bars and whether all the DPS are focusing the targets I marked (usually if they do, it's by pure happy accident).


I run them occasionally, if I remember. They're not perfect but they do give me a decent idea of what I should be striving for for single targets at least. I generally subscribe to "if the mobs/boss died and no one died, then we probably did fine" mentality, but it doesn't hurt to try to improve!
I think right now, it doesn't track DoTs, so some classes are going to parse much lower.
____________________________
Banh
#1042 Sep 14 2013 at 9:00 AM Rating: Good
Muggle@#%^er
*****
19,982 posts
Turin wrote:
Stop leveling so fast!!!!!111!!111!Smiley: mad

My highest is 36 Dragoon. I keep getting distracted by crafting. I've got 27 Leather, 22, Carpenter, 20 Blacksmith, 19 Botany, and 17 Mining.


I'm a 36 Conjurer right now, but don't have anything else as high as what you list. Arcanist at 15, Botanist somewhat higher.

Spoonless wrote:
Vataro wrote:
Spoonless wrote:
I haven't been running meters. I have no idea what anyone is doing. All I pay attention to is the little hate bars and whether all the DPS are focusing the targets I marked (usually if they do, it's by pure happy accident).


I run them occasionally, if I remember. They're not perfect but they do give me a decent idea of what I should be striving for for single targets at least. I generally subscribe to "if the mobs/boss died and no one died, then we probably did fine" mentality, but it doesn't hurt to try to improve!
I think right now, it doesn't track DoTs, so some classes are going to parse much lower.


That would destroy my Arcanist. XD Between my pet and the 3/4 DoTs I use...
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#1043 Sep 14 2013 at 9:09 AM Rating: Good
Unforkgettable
*****
13,251 posts
idiggory wrote:
That would destroy my Arcanist. XD Between my pet and the 3/4 DoTs I use...
Yeah. I don't know if it tracks DoT uptime, which would help evaluate how effective the player is, but from what I understand, it doesn't pick up on DoT ticks. On my ACN, it's pretty much apply Thunder, Aero, Bio, Miasma, get Aero and Bio on an add or two, reapply to main target, etc. On bosses, I get to cast Ruin two or three times before reapplying DoTs.
____________________________
Banh
#1044 Sep 14 2013 at 3:47 PM Rating: Good
Muggle@#%^er
*****
19,982 posts
In SE's infinite wisdom, they set up the market to sort by retainer name when multiple items appear at the same price level/quantity.

So expect to see a lot of seller names that are variations of Aaaaaaaaaaaa.

And, of course, I named my Vennic.
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#1045 Sep 14 2013 at 5:46 PM Rating: Good
Worst. Title. Ever!
*****
15,232 posts
I named mine Valenia and Ta'phira

...
____________________________
Can't sleep, clown will eat me.
#1046 Sep 14 2013 at 6:52 PM Rating: Good
Muggle@#%^er
*****
19,982 posts
I'm hoping this is one of those changes that will be made quickly due to outcry, now that the news is really breaking. It's ridiculous.
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#1047 Sep 21 2013 at 4:03 AM Rating: Good
Sage
***
2,215 posts
So Im late to the game anyone up this late or just me? Xain Rose is my characters name. Or Am I behind the curb and everyones already moved on to a new game?
____________________________
What I Play
Recently Played
#1048 Sep 21 2013 at 5:59 AM Rating: Good
Muggle@#%^er
*****
19,982 posts
Still a decent number of people playing. You can pst any of the people in this thread for an invite.

I just took down Garuda. Was slamming my head into that fight yesterday. It is NOT friendly to marauder tanks - so much burst damage. But it was a piece of cake with a Pld. We wiped the first time, because a brd kept moving into the center, so the pillars went down. After that, no problem. (I <3 Regen).

The following cut scene was very satisfying and then very unsatisfying and that thing looked stupid flying away.

Oh, and what a great idea, Alphaunaud, let's rebuild the scion base in the exact same indefensible position that you put it in last time. Simply genius.

I honestly don't know if I'll sub once my free time runs out. I can see me coming back to the game in the future, but not sure it's what I'm looking for right now. I'm doing more grinding than I'm happy about. The story quest alone was sufficient to level for a long time. Once that stopped being true, the going got rough. But, to be fair, I wouldn't be having such an issue if I wasn't trying to save the side quests for future leveling assistance.

That said, it's a shame. There doesn't seem to be fame or any sort of reputations in the game, nor anything else that would make the actual content of leveling more interesting. Well, there ARE, with the GCs, but I don't find them interesting. And I loathe the gear model they use for the armor. Plus, they don't really apply to anything at endgame, and you don't really generate enough seals for the lower-level rewards to bother. I'm not sure what their purpose is actually supposed to be.

I can see a lot of room for improvement, and just including the things I know they said they're already working on adding (housing, GC housing, more primals, etc.) it's interesting.

But I'm also pretty sure that after EQN launches in the next year or two, FFXIV will feel firmly like an MMO of the past.
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#1049 Sep 21 2013 at 8:20 AM Rating: Good
Unforkgettable
*****
13,251 posts
I like a lot about FFXIV, but ultimately the combat class leveling system feels significantly incomplete. It's not hugely difficult to raise a single class and its subclasses to the desired levels, but beyond that the quest tap dries up very quickly. Of course, leveling a tank, I probably have way more quests available on other classes because I get instant queues and can use dungeons for EXP. Being forced to grind FATEs and blow your valuable Leve allowances on a lowbie class can be disheartening. They probably should have made some class-specific sidequests which would not be mandatory to advance your class, but provide some additional class-based story. In its current state, it's probably better to just level alternate characters instead of trying to level all the classes on one character.

I'm undecided on remaining subbed, but it's almost entirely due to my RL job situation. I picked up a second job, and with my regular job, this new one, and the side work I do, I've got about 73-75 hours of work the next few weeks, so I probably won't feel like playing much. Maybe I'll try to get a DD job up to cap in the meantime. My biggest issue is that after working a ton of hours, I'm not usually inclined to pay the requisite amount of attention in order to properly tank. Maybe I'll bring ACN up just so I can have both SMN and SCH available.

Quote:
But I'm also pretty sure that after EQN launches in the next year or two, FFXIV will feel firmly like an MMO of the past.
Probably. The biggest thing about FFXIV is that all the things I feel they've done really, really right are not related to combat classes, which are how the game will be judged. So, regardless of how the crafting and gathering systems are, the game itself is going to be ultimately viewed as your basic WoW-like with a Final Fantasy veneer.

Edited, Sep 21st 2013 10:22am by Spoonless
____________________________
Banh
#1050 Sep 21 2013 at 11:27 AM Rating: Good
Muggle@#%^er
*****
19,982 posts
They seem to have a lot planned in coming updates. It's possible they should have left the game in development a little longer, but I can't say the stuff in game is unpolished.

The lack of quests is the biggest issue for me. At most you can get 3 combat classes up to cap with a nonstop fount of quests (assuming you're running Fates at the same time). With, what, 8 class options that's problematic. I've been trying to stretch the story quest on my Whm, just to leave the side quests for other classes.

I also want to punch whichever writer decided it was a good idea to spread the story quests all over the world for no reason. Half the time, it's not even about going to help them with something. It's usually blatant time-wasting to stretch out the story between levels.

Like when Minfilia calls you ON YOUR LINKPEARL, to ask you to come all the way back to Vesper Bay (YAY, no aetheryte crystal there to port to), just to then check in with you. Are you serious? You had a direct line of communication to me right there. I don't ask coworkers in Chicago to fly to NJ just to check in.

And it's not just story quests. The class quest I'm about to do is going to send me all over the world on a pilgrimage to honor an old Whm sage.

In the best case scenario, I get to go node to node in different city states. In the worst case scenario, she'll send me to one, make me come back, send me to another, etc.

It's just... bad game design.
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#1051 Sep 21 2013 at 11:45 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
2,471 posts
I've pretty much stopped playing for those exact reasons. I like the story so far, but the combat is dull and the constant running back and forth for no reason is boring.
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 51 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (51)