Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Bioshock InfiniteFollow

#102 Mar 31 2013 at 2:08 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
11,338 posts
Jophiel wrote:
Turin wrote:
One part I didn't care for was the bit near the end where you're in the future, looking for Elizabeth and you would get mobbed by those weird mask wearing freaks if you got spotted by that creature with the horns on it's head. The entire game up to that point is pretty much a straight forward fire fight, but you really had to sneak around in that area, which didn't really work for me.

I actually killed the first couple rooms full of them and was grumbling about my dwindling ammo before it occurred to me to sneak past. I didn't find it too hard, just a matter of timing and ducking.


I used the self-perpetuating Crow trap technique to get past the rooms, I also managed to get a couple of the weapon achievements during that trip. Plus the foghorn ******* kept locking onto me no matter how slowly I moved away from the direction he was looking at.
____________________________
Shaowstrike (Retired - FFXI)
91PUP/BLM 86SMN/BST 76DRK
Cooking/Fishing 100


"We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."
— James D. Nicoll
#103 Mar 31 2013 at 2:52 PM Rating: Good
Just tried 1999. Died on first fight right after raffle... The melee fight before you get a gun lol. Then I kept going for a bit and actually did pretty well. I'm not sure it's fun though. I won't be able to try weird things and combos with the difficulty so ratcheted. I might try another play on hard instead just so I can try different things.

Oh but man am I seeing all the clues now. Priest who baptizes you is blind when you see him in the welcome center. Just looking at all the Comstock statues is creepy even. When the Lutece statue morphs from him to her. Oh and did the little girl who's vox is at the Lutecce statue end up in Rapture? Stuff like that is neat.
____________________________
An old silent pond...
A frog jumps into the pond,
splash! Silence again.

~ Matsuo Basho
#104 Mar 31 2013 at 4:26 PM Rating: Good
Shaowstrike the Shady wrote:
Drulian, Pie Eating Champion wrote:
Missed 3 recordings and 10ish of the video things, not bad IMO. Probably try to find those on the hard setting and save 1999 mode for DLC.


You can actually replay the chapters on your current save. This would allow you to enjoy the second playthrough without having to do a scavenger hunt in each area.


Been good to know 3 hours ago before I started a new game on hard Smiley: bah Good news is, I've already found 2 things I missed Smiley: tongue

Master Shojindo wrote:
Just tried 1999. Died on first fight right after raffle... The melee fight before you get a gun lol. Then I kept going for a bit and actually did pretty well. I'm not sure it's fun though. I won't be able to try weird things and combos with the difficulty so ratcheted. I might try another play on hard instead just so I can try different things.

Oh but man am I seeing all the clues now. Priest who baptizes you is blind when you see him in the welcome center. Just looking at all the Comstock statues is creepy even. When the Lutece statue morphs from him to her. Oh and did the little girl who's vox is at the Lutecce statue end up in Rapture? Stuff like that is neat.


Don't feel bad, I almost died there on hard on my 2nd playthrough, got too use to having shields... And yes, plenty of those "Oh **** that makes more sense now" moments on 2nd play through.
____________________________
Drulian Griggory - Meneldor. Member of There Is No Fifth Star


#105 Mar 31 2013 at 5:06 PM Rating: Good
Once you get past the first sections, 1999 mode isn't ridiculously hard anymore. It does force me to lean on the golden pistol (lots of Ammo -especially upgraded, decent damage) & machine gun (lots of ammo drops). I've also used the RPG & on this play through, the sniper rifle has become invaluable for large crowd fights in open areas. I dont think I used it on my first play through more than once but got my sniper rifle achievement in the 2nd area I could use it! I'm also using the crow/fire combo a lot too.

The other huge help is the 5 shield/health/vigor potions you get in the bar, as well as the gear, for having the Season Pass. I started at shield 5 & its really helped the deaths.

I thought money would be more of an issue, but since Im going for the achievement of not using the Dollar Bill machines, & because I'm being more meticulous in my searching (I didnt open ANY of the optional electric doors in my first playthrough) it hasn't been much of an issue. I've died a few times, but the only REALLY hard fight I had was the 2nd fireman fight & that was mostly because it respawned you right back in the middle of the area, so there were mobs on both sides of me, including the robot gunner in front of me & the fireman behind.

Granted, I have yet to have to fight a Handyman. Just got to Finktown again... No other changes I've noticed, except Booker's hand isn't bandaged nor is Elizabbeth's dressed ripped cause I pulled the gun on the ticket taker in battleship bay. Interestingly, the mobs didnt aggro until I started shooting so it makes me wonder what would happen if I didnt shoot...
____________________________
"The Rich are there to take all of the money & pay none of the taxes, the middle class is there to do all the work and pay all the taxes, and the poor are there to scare the crap out of the middle class." -George Carlin


#106 Mar 31 2013 at 5:11 PM Rating: Good
***
2,211 posts
Actually I Liked that part(The foghorn guys), I found it super creepy and actually great for atmosphere. I realized after the first room, same as all of you I was low on ammo, after being caught in the middle of all of them. I think I remember them only taking dmg from headshots too. The part after you open the gate where you turn around and one of those dudes is standing right behind you, as you shift over to another dimension made me jump in my seat something fierce.

As for other parts, anyone else find it squicky about the "brother and sister" who are in love with each other but are actually the same person from different dimensions just one a boy and one a girl? I mean in all means and terms it's would be self ************ I guess, but still. I mean Im sort of less bothered with it due to anime, but when its yourself, just makes it weird.

And I wish they wouldnt have put the scene at the end of the credits,I missed it originally had to find out about it seeing if there were multiple endings. It kind of gives the whole ending a good twist because without that scene, it would kind of be a downer ending.


Edited, Mar 31st 2013 6:17pm by BeanX
____________________________
What I Play
Recently Played
#107 Mar 31 2013 at 5:22 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
11,338 posts
The after credit ending confused the **** out of me. From what I gathered at the end of the game, 99% of the multiverse contains evil douchebag Booker/Comstock, and the 1% is non-baptised Booker. In order to kill all the Comstocks in existence, the 1% Booker had to sacrifice himself during the baptism so the memory of death would affect the 99% Bookers and make them afraid of the baptism and therefore prevent Comstock from being born.

If the 1% Booker died by drowning, who the **** was that at the end of the credits?
____________________________
Shaowstrike (Retired - FFXI)
91PUP/BLM 86SMN/BST 76DRK
Cooking/Fishing 100


"We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."
— James D. Nicoll
#108 Mar 31 2013 at 5:29 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
11,338 posts
BeanX the Irrelevant wrote:
As for other parts, anyone else find it squicky about the "brother and sister" who are in love with each other but are actually the same person from different dimensions just one a boy and one a girl? I mean in all means and terms it's would be self ************ I guess, but still. I mean Im sort of less bothered with it due to anime, but when its yourself, just makes it weird.


I get what you're saying, but I think you're looking into it a bit much here. Lutcee(s) was an only child, and managed to make contact with another version that was also an only child and shared the same interests as themselves. Naturally this would lead to common interest bonding, and as mentioned in the game, them acting like twin siblings together. Not once did you see them display affection greater than dancing together.
____________________________
Shaowstrike (Retired - FFXI)
91PUP/BLM 86SMN/BST 76DRK
Cooking/Fishing 100


"We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."
— James D. Nicoll
#109 Mar 31 2013 at 5:52 PM Rating: Good
Speaking of creepy: I am now all kinds of guilty for wanting to shag Elisabeth... \

Also this: What did Elisabeth say to the false prophet?

(Pull my Finger)

Edited, Mar 31st 2013 4:53pm by Shojindo
____________________________
An old silent pond...
A frog jumps into the pond,
splash! Silence again.

~ Matsuo Basho
#110 Mar 31 2013 at 6:05 PM Rating: Good
***
2,211 posts


Shaowstrike the Shady wrote:

I get what you're saying, but I think you're looking into it a bit much here. Lutcee(s) was an only child, and managed to make contact with another version that was also an only child and shared the same interests as themselves. Naturally this would lead to common interest bonding, and as mentioned in the game, them acting like twin siblings together. Not once did you see them display affection greater than dancing together.


You may have missed a few of their Voxes. Their is about 6-7 of them. The girl definitely wants to be with the boy, I dont remember is the boy has any.
Going to put down the voxes transcripts as spoilers

Brother, what Comstock failed to understand is that our contraption is a window not into prophecy, but probability. But his money means the Lutece Field cannot become the Lutece Tear -- a window between worlds. A window through which you and I might finally be together.

"You have been transfused, brother, into a new reality, but your body rejects the cognitive dissonance through confusion and hemorrhage. But we are together, and I will mend you. For what separates us now, but a single chromosome?"

"Comstock has sabotaged our contraption. Yet, we are not dead. A theory: we are scattered amongst the possibility space. But my brother and I are together, and so, I am content. He is not. The business with the girl lies unresolved. But perhaps there is one who can finish it in our stead."

Asking My wife, she takes it as they want to be "one" not in a romantic way but as the same "being". She watched me play most of it (I played it on our TV). I took how everything was said as shes in love with him. I guess its open to interpretation too.
____________________________
What I Play
Recently Played
#111 Mar 31 2013 at 6:21 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
11,338 posts
I heard those voxes, and I remember there was one that said the Lutcee field only allowed them to communicate by vibrating the distortion field into morse code.

I took the first one you quoted as that they could finally meet face to face, sort of like if you and I picked a spot in the RL to meet each other.

The second one meant that they were exactly alike except for their location and gender, the former of which was removed with the opening of the tear.

The third meant that she was content in leaving things as they were after they "died", but the brother wanted to wrap up all unfinished business first.
____________________________
Shaowstrike (Retired - FFXI)
91PUP/BLM 86SMN/BST 76DRK
Cooking/Fishing 100


"We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."
— James D. Nicoll
#112 Mar 31 2013 at 6:37 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Shaowstrike the Shady wrote:
The after credit ending confused the **** out of me. From what I gathered at the end of the game, 99% of the multiverse contains evil douchebag Booker/Comstock, and the 1% is non-baptised Booker. In order to kill all the Comstocks in existence, the 1% Booker had to sacrifice himself during the baptism so the memory of death would affect the 99% Bookers and make them afraid of the baptism and therefore prevent Comstock from being born.

If the 1% Booker died by drowning, who the **** was that at the end of the credits?

My take on it:

One version of reality had Booker Comstock getting baptized and going on to found Columbia. Another version had Booker DeWitt (same guy but you know...) refusing the baptism and going on to fight at Wounded Knee. Comstock went on to fund Lutece and use her discovery as a means of prophecy. Lutece also discovered that, in an alternate world, DeWitt had returned from Wounded Knee and had a daughter (whose mother died in childbirth).

Comstock, sterile from the Lutece experiments, arranged to have Lutece purchase Anna from DeWitt. DeWitt, being a single father, drunk and gambler, sold Anna to Lutece. To give him some slight credit, he probably rationalized it as Anna getting a better life than he could provide. That Anna became Elizabeth.

At the end, Elizabeth brings Booker to a point immediately following his successful baptism and the multiple Elizabeths drown him. Right before, Booker says they need to smother the infant Comstock in his crib; baptism symbolizing rebirth, Elizabeth 'smothers' Comstock 'in his crib' so to speak by drowning him. The downside here is that YOU are currently in that timeline so you get drowned but you ARE Comstock at that moment. Without the easy out of selling Anna, it's implied that non-baptized Booker DeWitt keeps his daughter and cleans up his act (the gambling forms are gone in the end scene). It's "sad" in that you meet Elizabeth as a fully realized person and now she's completely snuffed from existence but at the same time there was no way for her to become Elizabeth without subjecting her to a fate that she herself calls worse than death. So DeWitt saved his daughter whether he realizes it or not.



Edited, Mar 31st 2013 7:38pm by Jophiel
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#113 Mar 31 2013 at 8:34 PM Rating: Good
@ Joph:

Quote:
One version of reality had Booker Comstock getting baptized and going on to found Columbia. Another version had Booker DeWitt (same guy but you know...) refusing the baptism and going on to fight at Wounded Knee. Comstock went on to fund Lutece and use her discovery as a means of prophecy. Lutece also discovered that, in an alternate world, DeWitt had returned from Wounded Knee and had a daughter (whose mother died in childbirth).


I'm fairly certain Wounded Knee & The Boxcar rebellion happened to all versions of Booker & that the baptism, wether it was refused or not, happened after. Why else would he need to wash away his sins if not for the attrocities he committed? Also, all versions of Booker are slightly racist due to being of Native American decent (mentioned in a Vox) & he overcompensated for it at Wounded Knee by getting the most scalps (also mentioned in a Vox). Of course, only Comstock becomes a supremecist, but still, I found it a bit disheartening.

Quote:
Comstock, sterile from the Lutece experiments, arranged to have Lutece purchase Anna from DeWitt. DeWitt, being a single father, drunk and gambler, sold Anna to Lutece. To give him some slight credit, he probably rationalized it as Anna getting a better life than he could provide.


He also changed his mind, causing her pinky loss, which according to a Lutece Vox, is probably why she has powers. "The Universe doesn't like it's peas mixed with it's porridge."

Quote:
That Anna became Elizabeth. At the end, Elizabeth brings Booker to a point immediately following his successful baptism and the multiple Elizabeths drown him. Right before, Booker says they need to smother the infant Comstock in his crib; baptism symbolizing rebirth, Elizabeth 'smothers' Comstock 'in his crib' so to speak by drowning him. The downside here is that YOU are currently in that timeline so you get drowned but you ARE Comstock at that moment.


Exactly. Remember the coin flip? THAT symbolizes that Booker had done this many times before. Every universe Booker existed in, before the drowning, Comstock came for his daughter as by making the choice to reject the baptism, he created another universe with a Comstock in it who would eventually come for Dewitt's daughter. Only by smothering Comstock in his crib does he end the cycle.

Quote:

Without the easy out of selling Anna, it's implied that non-baptized Booker DeWitt keeps his daughter and cleans up his act (the gambling forms are gone in the end scene). It's "sad" in that you meet Elizabeth as a fully realized person and now she's completely snuffed from existence but at the same time there was no way for her to become Elizabeth without subjecting her to a fate that she herself calls worse than death. So DeWitt saved his daughter whether he realizes it or not.


Didn't notice the lack of gambling papers on the desk, good call. I hope that version of Booker is a little less racist, though.


Edited, Mar 31st 2013 10:36pm by Omegavegeta
____________________________
"The Rich are there to take all of the money & pay none of the taxes, the middle class is there to do all the work and pay all the taxes, and the poor are there to scare the crap out of the middle class." -George Carlin


#114 Mar 31 2013 at 8:49 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Omegavegeta wrote:
I'm fairly certain Wounded Knee & The Boxcar rebellion happened to all versions of Booker & that the baptism, wether it was refused or not, happened after. Why else would he need to wash away his sins if not for the attrocities he committed?

You could be right. The question of what atrocities led Booker to seek baptism is a valid one though and so maybe I'm wrong about that. But the one military commander (Slate?) ******* long and hard about how Comstock never actually served at Wounded Knee. My guess was that DeWitt served in his timeline and Comstock used the knowledge he had of DeWitt to essentially steal DeWitt's story for his own glory.

A little poking around and the consensus is that Booker-Prime served at Wounded Knee and the baptism was after and I admit it makes sense. Although it doesn't explain the obvious contempt Slate (?) had for Comstock's "service".

The Boxer Rebellion was obviously post baptism. Columbia flies over to China and attacks Peking which is what led to the US condemning Comstock and Columbia seceding from the Union. Also, the story takes place in 1912 and the Boxer Rebellion was in 1901. Elizabeth would be no more than ten if she was born to DeWitt post-Boxer Rebellion. Rather, DeWitt was working as a Pinkerton during that point in time.


Edited, Mar 31st 2013 9:55pm by Jophiel
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#115 Mar 31 2013 at 9:28 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Heh, playing through the ending again Booker says "I was here, right after Wounded Knee" so that certainly answers THAT! Smiley: laugh

Also, I was wrong about his desk. Oops.


Edited, Mar 31st 2013 10:55pm by Jophiel
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#116 Mar 31 2013 at 11:09 PM Rating: Good
@ Joph

Quote:
Although it doesn't explain the obvious contempt Slate (?) had for Comstock's "service".


He simply doesn't know the Comstock was Dewitt. When Slate hooks up with Comstock, Columbia is built & Comstock is already suffering from exposure to the tears (sterility, advanced aging, but probably not the tumors yet) & Slate simply doesn't recognize him as having ever been Dewitt.

Quote:

The Boxer Rebellion was obviously post baptism. Columbia flies over to China and attacks Peking which is what led to the US condemning Comstock and Columbia seceding from the Union. Also, the story takes place in 1912 and the Boxer Rebellion was in 1901. Elizabeth would be no more than ten if she was born to DeWitt post-Boxer Rebellion. Rather, DeWitt was working as a Pinkerton during that point in time.


Throw in the time travel aspect of the tears, & its conceivable that Comstock could have taken Elizabeth from Dewitt closer to 1891 - 1895 & Dewitt fought in the Boxer rebellion after. I don't recall, which sucks cause I just cleared the section, if Slate mentions remembering Dewitt from the Boxer rebellion or not. Dewitt could remember Slate from the Boxer rebellion regardless though,as Dewitt's world's Slate was probably there if he also fought there in Comstock' world.

If Slate does remember Dewitt @ the Boxer rebellion though, you're probably right.
Quote:

Also, I was wrong about his desk. Oops.


No happy ending then, just a Dark Tower one.




Edited, Apr 1st 2013 1:10am by Omegavegeta
____________________________
"The Rich are there to take all of the money & pay none of the taxes, the middle class is there to do all the work and pay all the taxes, and the poor are there to scare the crap out of the middle class." -George Carlin


#117 Apr 01 2013 at 3:35 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
11,338 posts
Shaowstrike the Shady wrote:
BeanX the Irrelevant wrote:
Shaowstrike the Shady wrote:
Did you run into the couple again, or did you get any items from people that were behind your choice?

Yes, you do run into them again.I don't think you get anything from choosing either or

I'm thinking about running the game again choosing the opposite options just to see the changes.



I know you run into them again because I did so, and since I didn't throw at them they gave me a piece of gear. I wanted to see if anyone gave you an item if you did throw at the couple.


So I started over and threw the ball at the couple this time. Instead of the couple appearing outside the arcade door to thank you and give you an item, Fink's henchman appears just inside the arcade door to pass along Fink's complements for your savagery and give you an item. So either way you still get an item.

Funny side note, if you stand around or try to hit/shoot the Lutece's when they appear they'll have different things to say.
____________________________
Shaowstrike (Retired - FFXI)
91PUP/BLM 86SMN/BST 76DRK
Cooking/Fishing 100


"We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."
— James D. Nicoll
#118 Apr 01 2013 at 7:41 PM Rating: Good
Worst. Title. Ever!
*****
15,070 posts
This game seems to be getting crazy media coverage. Today getting out of work there was a very long segment on the local NPR about it. New articles all over, etc.

So much more than the normal big release.
____________________________
Can't sleep, clown will eat me.
#119 Apr 01 2013 at 9:47 PM Rating: Good
This game kind of ruined me for a bit. I realized I don't really feel like replaying just yet. But all my other gaming options seem lackluster now.

So I watched Game of Thrones tonight instead.
____________________________
An old silent pond...
A frog jumps into the pond,
splash! Silence again.

~ Matsuo Basho
#120 Apr 01 2013 at 10:59 PM Rating: Good
So, Handymen @#%^ing suck on 1999 mode... I pretty much had to avoid him entirely in Finktown while clearing the other mobs, then play get him on the skyhook, shoot him in the chest, & repeat...

For a good 15mins...

Also, for anyone who's beaten it & wants a 2nd helping without replaying, or anyone who has no intention of playing but wonders what all the fuss is about, here's Bioshock: Infinite the movie:


MAJOR SPOILERS, Obviously.



All the CS/Dialogue edited together!

Edited, Apr 2nd 2013 5:23am by Omegavegeta
____________________________
"The Rich are there to take all of the money & pay none of the taxes, the middle class is there to do all the work and pay all the taxes, and the poor are there to scare the crap out of the middle class." -George Carlin


#121 Apr 02 2013 at 9:27 AM Rating: Good
Terrorfiend
*****
12,905 posts
Beat it last night and was pretty impressed overall. This game might be the best single player game I've ever played. The only fault is that the gameplay could have been a little better, i thought the redundant weapons introduced in the 2nd half of the game were kind of pointless (I just upgraded my machine gun, and now you give me the better repeater? cmon...) and melee could have been a little more interactive than just relentlessly pummeling/charging. I also didnt find the vigor skills to be that interesting and only used 3 of them really.

But tbh, i didnt give a ****. I was so engrossed in the world and story telling that i just didnt care what i was using to progress. And i havent been blown away by an ending since bioshock 1, and this was way better than that, even though im still kind of confused about a fair amount.

#122 Apr 02 2013 at 9:41 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Omegavegeta wrote:
Also, for anyone who's beaten it & wants a 2nd helping without replaying, or anyone who has no intention of playing but wonders what all the fuss is about, here's Bioshock: Infinite the movie:

Haha, awesome. When I beat the game I told Flea "I know you'll never play this and I wouldn't try to make you but it's too bad because I think you'd really get into the story" (she was all into Fringe for instance). I should have her watch this instead.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#123 Apr 02 2013 at 10:43 AM Rating: Decent
Keeper of the Shroud
*****
13,137 posts
Just curious, did anyone else play the guitar in the basement of the bar in Finktown?
#124 Apr 02 2013 at 10:44 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
11,338 posts
I did, the short cutscene was kind of nice.
____________________________
Shaowstrike (Retired - FFXI)
91PUP/BLM 86SMN/BST 76DRK
Cooking/Fishing 100


"We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."
— James D. Nicoll
#125 Apr 02 2013 at 10:47 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Turin wrote:
Just curious, did anyone else play the guitar in the basement of the bar in Finktown?

Yup. I was a little let down that I could only play it once.

I guess we DID have a city to escape.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#126 Apr 03 2013 at 1:18 PM Rating: Good
Terrorfiend
*****
12,905 posts
ok so what did the collar/necklace/thingy you picked out for elizabeth have to do with anything?
#127 Apr 03 2013 at 1:21 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
11,338 posts
KTurner wrote:
ok so what did the collar/necklace/thingy you picked out for elizabeth have to do with anything?


Nothing, it's just a trick to make you think it would affect the ending of the game.
____________________________
Shaowstrike (Retired - FFXI)
91PUP/BLM 86SMN/BST 76DRK
Cooking/Fishing 100


"We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."
— James D. Nicoll
#128 Apr 03 2013 at 1:28 PM Rating: Good
Terrorfiend
*****
12,905 posts
figures Smiley: lol
#129 Apr 03 2013 at 7:43 PM Rating: Good
Worst. Title. Ever!
*****
15,070 posts
I was ALMOST thinking of buying it tonight because I saw GMG still had it listed as 14 dollars cash back. But when I added it, it didn't have the option for credit/cashback, so I guess their main page ad just hasn't been updated. But it made me not buy it yet.

Edit:
I checked this morning and it was activate again. Went ahead and purchased it. I'm weak, and will probably be dropping my gaming plans and playing it this weekend.

Edited, Apr 4th 2013 7:19am by TirithRR
____________________________
Can't sleep, clown will eat me.
#130 Apr 05 2013 at 7:50 AM Rating: Good
Worst. Title. Ever!
*****
15,070 posts
I had to look up the meaning of the word "Menarche".

I mean, given the context and imagery, I was 99% sure what it meant, but I had never actually seen the word before.
____________________________
Can't sleep, clown will eat me.
#131 Apr 05 2013 at 8:01 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
11,338 posts
TirithRR wrote:
I had to look up the meaning of the word "Menarche".

I mean, given the context and imagery, I was 99% sure what it meant, but I had never actually seen the word before.


What Joph said.
____________________________
Shaowstrike (Retired - FFXI)
91PUP/BLM 86SMN/BST 76DRK
Cooking/Fishing 100


"We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."
— James D. Nicoll
#132 Apr 05 2013 at 8:05 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Are you there Prophet? It's me, Elizabeth.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#133 Apr 05 2013 at 8:09 AM Rating: Good
****
6,470 posts
Beat it the other night. Found it to be a good game, not great. Most of my issues with it are more "mechanical", I guess you could say. I generally enjoyed the story and its conclusion.

Songbird was underutilized.
____________________________
Latest Articles:
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine Review

Follow me on Twitter!
#134 Apr 05 2013 at 8:09 AM Rating: Good
I was thinking Bioshock Infinite 2 you should get to play as Songbird, or maybe as a DLC. Like tell the origin story.

____________________________
An old silent pond...
A frog jumps into the pond,
splash! Silence again.

~ Matsuo Basho
#135 Apr 05 2013 at 8:11 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
11,338 posts
Bioshock Infinite 2, it's basically Bioshock Infinite but everything is slightly different.
____________________________
Shaowstrike (Retired - FFXI)
91PUP/BLM 86SMN/BST 76DRK
Cooking/Fishing 100


"We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."
— James D. Nicoll
#136 Apr 05 2013 at 8:12 AM Rating: Good
Shaowstrike the Shady wrote:
Bioshock Infinite 2, it's basically Bioshock Infinite but everything is slightly different.


Smiley: nod
____________________________
An old silent pond...
A frog jumps into the pond,
splash! Silence again.

~ Matsuo Basho
#137 Apr 05 2013 at 8:13 AM Rating: Good
****
6,470 posts
Also, I may have yelled "GET OFF OF MY AIRSHIP" as I skyhook-landed on one enemy, booting him off the deck and into freefall.

I'm kind of tickled at the idea of whatever land Columbia is over at a given moment being subjected to a rain of uniformed, parachute-less skydivers.
____________________________
Latest Articles:
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine Review

Follow me on Twitter!
#138 Apr 05 2013 at 8:18 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
11,338 posts
Eske Esquire wrote:
Also, I may have yelled "GET OFF OF MY AIRSHIP" as I skyhook-landed on one enemy, booting him off the deck and into freefall.

I'm kind of tickled at the idea of whatever land Columbia is over at a given moment being subjected to a rain of uniformed, parachute-less skydivers.


I think Columbia is stationary over that section of ocean with the lighthouse, otherwise how else would new people be able to get on board? Now once they declare war on Saddam Sodom, then they'll move the city.
____________________________
Shaowstrike (Retired - FFXI)
91PUP/BLM 86SMN/BST 76DRK
Cooking/Fishing 100


"We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."
— James D. Nicoll
#139 Apr 05 2013 at 8:20 AM Rating: Good
****
6,470 posts
Shaowstrike the Shady wrote:
Eske Esquire wrote:
Also, I may have yelled "GET OFF OF MY AIRSHIP" as I skyhook-landed on one enemy, booting him off the deck and into freefall.

I'm kind of tickled at the idea of whatever land Columbia is over at a given moment being subjected to a rain of uniformed, parachute-less skydivers.


I think Columbia is stationary over that section of ocean with the lighthouse, otherwise how else would new people be able to get on board? Now once they declare war on Saddam Sodom, then they'll move the city.


Oh, maybe. Isn't it shown having floated over NYC during its attack? I distinctly recall seeing the angel-tower in the background of that scene. I had just assumed that it floated about aimlessly, but I suppose it'd have to be in the vicinity of the launcher....

Edited, Apr 5th 2013 10:21am by Eske
____________________________
Latest Articles:
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine Review

Follow me on Twitter!
#140 Apr 05 2013 at 8:21 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
No, there's parts where you can peer over the edge and see the geometric shapes of farmland far below.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#141 Apr 05 2013 at 9:34 AM Rating: Good
Worst. Title. Ever!
*****
15,070 posts
Shaowstrike the Shady wrote:
Eske Esquire wrote:
Also, I may have yelled "GET OFF OF MY AIRSHIP" as I skyhook-landed on one enemy, booting him off the deck and into freefall.

I'm kind of tickled at the idea of whatever land Columbia is over at a given moment being subjected to a rain of uniformed, parachute-less skydivers.


I think Columbia is stationary over that section of ocean with the lighthouse, otherwise how else would new people be able to get on board? Now once they declare war on Saddam Sodom, then they'll move the city.


I'm not very far in, but I assumed the map at the beginning of the game in the lighthouse was tracking the movement of Columbia. That there were more access points depending on where it happened to be at the time.
____________________________
Can't sleep, clown will eat me.
#142 Apr 06 2013 at 1:07 PM Rating: Good
Worst. Title. Ever!
*****
15,070 posts
I beat the game and... for some reason on the first play through of the end, my game skipped the drowning scene. The "End" appeared to be where you opened the door to drown Comstock, then the credits started playing. After the credits you appear back in your home office with the baby in the room.

Second play through the ending, the scene with the Elizabeths and the drowning played.

It was very strange, since that first one implied that you succeeded in going back and killing baby Comstock, without the whole "I am Comstock" thing...

I don't know why it happened, but it did.
____________________________
Can't sleep, clown will eat me.
#143 Apr 06 2013 at 1:40 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
11,338 posts
Maybe there are two endings for the game. Smiley: confused

Did you do anything different between the two playthroughs, like leaving Slate alive?
____________________________
Shaowstrike (Retired - FFXI)
91PUP/BLM 86SMN/BST 76DRK
Cooking/Fishing 100


"We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."
— James D. Nicoll
#144 Apr 06 2013 at 1:47 PM Rating: Good
Worst. Title. Ever!
*****
15,070 posts
I didn't do anything different, both endings were from the same save file, I just continued the game again from the light house point.

Edit: I did choose a different physical path through the light houses, but every scene up to the door opening to drown Comstock was the same. And Elizabeth still says it doesn't matter what path you take, they all lead to the same place...


Edited, Apr 6th 2013 3:52pm by TirithRR
____________________________
Can't sleep, clown will eat me.
#145 Apr 06 2013 at 1:50 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
11,338 posts
There is a part of the lighthouse section where you have to choose left or right paths. IIRC when I chose the left lighthouse I got the drown Booker ending. Did you choose the same lighthouse as your first playthrough or a different one?

Edited, Apr 6th 2013 3:50pm by Shaowstrike
____________________________
Shaowstrike (Retired - FFXI)
91PUP/BLM 86SMN/BST 76DRK
Cooking/Fishing 100


"We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."
— James D. Nicoll
#146 Apr 06 2013 at 1:54 PM Rating: Good
Worst. Title. Ever!
*****
15,070 posts
First ending I got (No drowning of Booker): During the stone pathway, the first one, I kept going straight. Then I can't remember which path I took on the wood docks.

Second ending (Elizabeths drowned me): During the stone pathway, I turned right at that first branch, Then I can't really remember which path I took on the wood docks.


I think I'll load it up and try again to see what happens.

Edit:
Nope, all show Elizabeths drowning Booker at the end now. I think my game must have just bugged out on me that first time. I even tried pressing every button during the scene to see if there was a way I might have mistakenly skipped it by button press. Nothing did.

Edited, Apr 6th 2013 4:11pm by TirithRR
____________________________
Can't sleep, clown will eat me.
#147 Apr 06 2013 at 2:42 PM Rating: Good
Keeper of the Shroud
*****
13,137 posts
As to where Columbia is at any given moment, there is a map on the wall in the light house with a route and times listed. My thinking is that it moves along that route and people can get on at certain times.
#148 Apr 06 2013 at 4:15 PM Rating: Good
Worst. Title. Ever!
*****
15,070 posts
I think my favorite part of the game are the songs. Hearing Beach Boys, and when I first fell down to Battleship Bay and heard Cindi Lauper playing I was thinking "Wait, what decade is this game supposed to be in?". Then as the game progressed and I heard more and more of these cover songs showing up, and then heard the Voxophone where Fink was explaining how they were using tears to get these songs and make them to sell in their time.

I think my favorite one was "Everybody Wants to Rule the World". The "Tainted Love" one was pretty good too. I didn't really care for the "Shiny Happy People" cover.


Edit:
I also agree that there is not enough Songbird. What ever it is, it really seems to care for Elizabeth, and given the origin of the Handymen, I'm curious if it was human at one time? Someone imporant... It didn't seem to care for being in the water, back when it fell into Battleship Bay, and again at the end when it is teleported to Rapture and dies. I was actually pretty sad when it died.

I can see Songbird being the focus of one of the DLCs. It'd have to be.


Edited, Apr 6th 2013 6:20pm by TirithRR
____________________________
Can't sleep, clown will eat me.
#149 Apr 06 2013 at 4:36 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
11,338 posts
TirithRR wrote:
It didn't seem to care for being in the water, back when it fell into Battleship Bay, and again at the end when it is teleported to Rapture and dies.


That's because in order for it to fly it had to be created from ultra-light materials that couldn't handle the pressure. I agree that it was like a Handyman, and most likely the organs were getting crushed each time it went deep into the water.
____________________________
Shaowstrike (Retired - FFXI)
91PUP/BLM 86SMN/BST 76DRK
Cooking/Fishing 100


"We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."
— James D. Nicoll
#150 Apr 06 2013 at 4:44 PM Rating: Good
Worst. Title. Ever!
*****
15,070 posts
Shaowstrike the Shady wrote:
TirithRR wrote:
It didn't seem to care for being in the water, back when it fell into Battleship Bay, and again at the end when it is teleported to Rapture and dies.


That's because in order for it to fly it had to be created from ultra-light materials that couldn't handle the pressure. I agree that it was like a Handyman, and most likely the organs were getting crushed each time it went deep into the water.


Well, I understood it was getting crushed, especially in the depths of Rapture. The depths of Battleship Bay didn't seem like it should have been enough, but the scene showed it reacting like it was getting struck (the crushing) but if I wasn't mistaken it also seems to grasp at it's throat similar to a person trying to get air before it stopped the pursuit and went back to the surface.

A couple of the Voxophones hinted toward the Handymen keeping their memories. There is one dead Handyman who is being posed on by the members of Vox and having their picture taken. He is holding a Voxophone from his wife. I'm just trying to think of what person would have a close personal tie to Elizabeth, that could be the Songbird.
____________________________
Can't sleep, clown will eat me.
#151 Apr 06 2013 at 7:06 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
There's a vox or written note or something somewhere that indicates they (Comstock & Co) were having trouble figuring out how to adapt Songbird for pressure. So it was pretty well telegraphed although obviously I wasn't expecting the trip to Rapture as the deus ex machina. That said, Battleship Bay couldn't have been that deep and I have a hard time believing there's be enough pressure to matter (despite that being what apparently happened).
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 67 All times are in CST
LockeColeMA, Mazra, Poldaran, Raolan, Szabo, Anonymous Guests (62)