I blame this topic for my dream last night; fair warning, it likely belongs more in the Movies/Books/Etc forum than this one... spoilers ahoy if you aren't familiar with the series...
I dreamt last night of a Harry Potter videogame set within Mass Effect-esque parameters. Renegade/Paragon meter, ability to be either "The boy who lived" or "The girl who lived," several love interests, hundreds of choices that have an effect on the end of the game (or series). Some things I dreamt of:
- You could choose your House; though Slytherin gave the most points for Renegade Harry.
- Throughout your time at Hogwarts, you could choose to upgrade the enchantments on the buildings, invest in stronger gargoyles, and upgrade the wands/defensive training/enchanted clothing of your friends/Dumbledore's Army/the Order of the Phoenix. This would allow certain characters to live; without stronger gargoyles to use as protection, for example, Neville will be killed by a giant, and without fortified walls, George will die when one explodes from curses.
- There were also different endings, though in all of them you end up fighting against Voldemort and with the Battle of Hogwarts. A Renegade Harry will take the Elder Wand, kill (or, Paragon option of mercy, disarm in a duel!) Draco Malfoy, and will attack Voldemort during the battle itself like in the movie; the Paragon option results in the book's ending, which ends in a duel at the end surrounded by all the people of Hogwarts cheering you on.
- There would be several love interests; Ginny, Hermione, Luna, Cho, Draco, Ron, Cedric (if he lived), Neville. It's almost certain that a Draco/Harry male pairing would be possible, though thankfully I didn't dream of that! >_<
- Depending on the choices, characters will die or live on major decisions. For example, leaving Felix Felicis for Dumbledore's Army on the night Dumbledore dies allows them all to live; otherwise there's a chance that some may fall, depending on which character and where you tell them to patrol. In my dream, choosing to romance Hermione caused Ron to be extremely jealous, and attack some Death Eaters head on by himself... resulting in his death. Mr. Weasley (in either the next game, or later on), overcome with grief, does almost the same thing when I chose to have him in my group; he picks a fight with Bellatrix, and both of them get vaporized. Still totally worth it.
Yup, anyway, that was my dream. I'd love to see that happen, but in the meantime... I think it's a sign that I FINALLY need to buy ME3