Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Omnibus Direct Distribution Deals threadFollow

#1952 May 01 2013 at 5:23 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Turin wrote:
I just got mine a couple hours ago. I'm more than a little annoyed that it goes through Uplay. A Steam code would have been much easier.

Why on earth would Ubisoft give a promotional copy of their game away via a competitor's client?
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#1953 May 01 2013 at 5:27 PM Rating: Decent
Keeper of the Shroud
*****
13,558 posts
Why on Earth does every major publisher need their own digital distribution client? I'm tired of installing things I don't really have a use for just to play a game.
#1954 May 01 2013 at 5:30 PM Rating: Good
Worst. Title. Ever!
*****
16,930 posts
I haven't noticed Uplay's service doing as many sales as Steam or even Origin. Smiley: frown
____________________________
Can't sleep, clown will eat me.
#1955 May 01 2013 at 5:31 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Turin wrote:
Why on Earth does every major publisher need their own digital distribution client?

Because if they're selling the product digitally, they keep more money when it's sold directly through them rather than giving Valve a cut. It's one thing when you're talking physical distribution and a producer is taking advantage of a retailer's distribution chain to get their product out there but, digitally, Ubisoft is no further from me than EA or Valve or whoever else.
TirithRR wrote:
I haven't noticed Uplay's service doing as many sales as Steam or even Origin. Smiley: frown

They don't really that I've noticed. Although I think I bought Ghost Recon: Future Soldier for $10 from them on a sale. And they had a $1 sale where I got From Dust and Driver: San Francisco.

Edited, May 1st 2013 6:33pm by Jophiel
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#1956 May 01 2013 at 5:36 PM Rating: Decent
Keeper of the Shroud
*****
13,558 posts
Jophiel wrote:
Turin wrote:
Why on Earth does every major publisher need their own digital distribution client?

Because if they're selling the product digitally, they keep more money when it's sold directly through them rather than giving Valve a cut. It's one thing when you're talking physical distribution and a producer is taking advantage of a retailer's distribution chain to get their product out there but, digitally, Ubisoft is no further from me than EA or Valve or whoever else.


They also have to spend the money on creating and maintaining it. Servers cost money to setup, and they keep costing money to run. Obviously, I don't have access to the exact numbers, but setting up their own service is cutting into their profits to. The only difference is that they're not giving the money to the competition. Since Ubisoft is willing to work with Valve anyway, I don't see the need for Uplay.
#1957 May 01 2013 at 5:37 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Turin wrote:
They also have to spend the money on creating and maintaining it.

I'll let their accountants worry about that. Regardless, it's not exactly a mystery why they'd want their own client and storefront.

Anyway, I like Uplay just fine. Works fine for me, doesn't cause me any problems and has the nifty feature of accumulating Upoints by playing the games which you can then spend on extras (wallpapers, DLC, etc).

Edited, May 1st 2013 6:40pm by Jophiel
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#1958 May 01 2013 at 5:39 PM Rating: Good
Worst. Title. Ever!
*****
16,930 posts
If every game publisher has their own service for their own games, then there is no reason for them to sell to third party vendors to make all these sales we enjoy. Of course, so far my Origin catalog is Dragon Age Origins and II that I got from an Amazon sale, I think. And I'm pretty sure I got Kingdoms of Amalur from Amazon as well. So as of yet, it hasn't really happened... but it'd be like a monopoly on digital distribution.

Edited, May 1st 2013 7:40pm by TirithRR
____________________________
Can't sleep, clown will eat me.
#1959 May 01 2013 at 5:42 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Given that Ubi and EA games are widely available via other retailers, that doesn't seem to be a big worry right now. The only real schism has been EA and Valve and that's mainly over DLC rights.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#1960 May 01 2013 at 8:59 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
FC3:BD would be a lot more amusing if it wasn't two friggin' hours of tutorial. I swear, Far Cry 3 didn't put me through this much crap to be able to freely move around.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#1961 May 01 2013 at 9:07 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
12,281 posts
Jophiel wrote:
FC3:BD would be a lot more amusing if it wasn't two friggin' hours of tutorial. I swear, Far Cry 3 didn't put me through this much crap to be able to freely move around.


Screenshot
____________________________
Shaowstrike (Retired - FFXI)
91PUP/BLM 86SMN/BST 76DRK
Cooking/Fishing 100


"We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."
— James D. Nicoll
#1962 May 01 2013 at 9:07 PM Rating: Good
***
2,269 posts
Jophiel wrote:
FC3:BD would be a lot more amusing if it wasn't two friggin' hours of tutorial. I swear, Far Cry 3 didn't put me through this much crap to be able to freely move around.


O.o From what I heard the tutorials take 5 mins, the full game only take 4-6 hours to beat. Least this is from reviews.
____________________________
What I Play
Recently Played
#1963 May 01 2013 at 9:10 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
BeanX the Irrelevant wrote:
O.o From what I heard the tutorials take 5 mins, the full game only take 4-6 hours to beat. Least this is from reviews.

Depends on how you define "tutorial", I suppose. A few hours in (some of it idle) and it's still "Now we're going to use a vending machine..."

If that's the "joke", it's a tedious one since it detracts from the awesomeness of shooting cyborgs and neon lit blood dragons.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#1964 May 02 2013 at 8:06 AM Rating: Good
****
6,471 posts
Jophiel wrote:
BeanX the Irrelevant wrote:
O.o From what I heard the tutorials take 5 mins, the full game only take 4-6 hours to beat. Least this is from reviews.

Depends on how you define "tutorial", I suppose. A few hours in (some of it idle) and it's still "Now we're going to use a vending machine..."

If that's the "joke", it's a tedious one since it detracts from the awesomeness of shooting cyborgs and neon lit blood dragons.


Rule #1 of ironic game design: Making reference to the tedious thing that you're asking the character to do does not make the thing not tedious to do.


I gather the Duke Nukem reboot suffered greatly from this. Crate pushing or valve puzzles, or something to that effect (not sure - I didn't play it because duh).
#1965 May 02 2013 at 9:08 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Just for the record, the actual "game" parts of the game are fun. It's just that the constant speed bumps detract from the flow of it and make it less entertaining. More shooting, less forced hand-holding sections on how to do a side mission.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#1966 May 02 2013 at 9:21 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Anyone interested in buying into a Torchlight II four-pack? Cost per game would be $4.10

I don't need it myself (already own it) but thought I'd make the offer.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#1967 May 02 2013 at 10:54 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
12,281 posts
The gun and shotgun you get in Blood Dragon are nice references to Robocop and Terminator 2. I also like the description for the bow. Smiley: lol
____________________________
Shaowstrike (Retired - FFXI)
91PUP/BLM 86SMN/BST 76DRK
Cooking/Fishing 100


"We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."
— James D. Nicoll
#1968 May 02 2013 at 11:54 AM Rating: Good
****
7,861 posts
Jophiel wrote:
Anyone interested in buying into a Torchlight II four-pack? Cost per game would be $4.10

I don't need it myself (already own it) but thought I'd make the offer.

If you get three and need a fourth, let me know.
____________________________
People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome. ~River Tam

Sedao
#1969 May 02 2013 at 4:37 PM Rating: Good
***
2,187 posts
Kastigir wrote:
Jophiel wrote:
Anyone interested in buying into a Torchlight II four-pack? Cost per game would be $4.10

I don't need it myself (already own it) but thought I'd make the offer.

If you get three and need a fourth, let me know.
Ahh, the old prom question routine. I just pulled that one off again last week.


____________________________
"the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."
Hermann Goering, April 1946.
#1970 May 02 2013 at 4:45 PM Rating: Good
Worst. Title. Ever!
*****
16,930 posts
If you missed GMG's Tomb Raider sale last week, this weekend is Steam's. 50% off, so it's the same 24.99, but you don't get the coupon deal that GMG has all the time.
____________________________
Can't sleep, clown will eat me.
#1971 May 02 2013 at 9:32 PM Rating: Decent
Terrorfiend
*****
12,905 posts
ugh, sorry but FC:BD is just terrible, I cant go on.
#1972 May 02 2013 at 9:33 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
You can't let the cyborgs win!
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#1973 May 03 2013 at 7:44 AM Rating: Good
Unforkgettable
*****
13,251 posts
Oh, awesome. FC3:BD being out means /r/gaming will be spammed with all the item descriptions for the next few weeks, just like it was when FC3 was released. Yes, yes I know. Unsub from /r/gaming and sub to /r/games.
____________________________
Banh
#1974 May 03 2013 at 7:45 AM Rating: Good
Unforkgettable
*****
13,251 posts
You guys should split a 4-pack of Monaco.
____________________________
Banh
#1975 May 03 2013 at 7:50 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Are there that many item descriptions? The potential ******* seems a lot smaller than in FC3 and I don't think there's any crafting (haven't seen hint of it yet anyway and animals don't drop materials).
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#1976 May 03 2013 at 8:07 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
12,281 posts
Spoonless wrote:
You guys should split a 4-pack of Monaco.


I'm down for that.
____________________________
Shaowstrike (Retired - FFXI)
91PUP/BLM 86SMN/BST 76DRK
Cooking/Fishing 100


"We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."
— James D. Nicoll
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 1 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (1)