Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Scariest Games or PartsFollow

#1 Feb 01 2012 at 11:30 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
On another forum, I mentioned that the Ravenholme part of Half Life 2 didn't strike me as especially scary. Another person said it was the scariest thing ever. I said that, out of recent games I've played, the snork infested abandoned labs in Stalker: SoC and parts of Metro 2033 gave me more heebie-jeebies than Ravenholme did. They said I was insane and we agreed to resolve it with pistols at dawn. That I'm posting now should let you know how that ended.

I don't contend that any of those examples are "scariest ever!" but let's hear some well done scary games (or just parts of games). I'm sure Amnesia will be mentioned soon enough -- I have it but still haven't played it.

Define "scary" however you want. I've never played a game that made me wet myself or gave me nightmares but I've gone through parts that made me feel jumpy and uneasy while I went through them.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#2 Feb 01 2012 at 11:33 AM Rating: Good
******
44,511 posts
Superman 64 is pretty **** scary in that it was released at all.

As far as things that give me the shivers, involuntary amputations (blown up, torn off, eaten, etc) tend to make me uneasy.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#3 Feb 01 2012 at 11:46 AM Rating: Good
Unforkgettable
*****
13,251 posts
In the original Resident Evil, when the dog crashes through the window. Smiley: lol Got me every time, even when I knew it was coming.

____________________________
Banh
#4 Feb 01 2012 at 11:50 AM Rating: Excellent
@#%^
*****
15,822 posts
Doom 3 scared the living **** out of me on multiple occasions. I hated it when the corridor would suddenly go pitch black and you'd hear an imp screaming behind you.

Of course, playing it in a dark basement didn't help things.
____________________________
"I have lost my way
But I hear a tale
About a heaven in Alberta
Where they've got all **** for a basement"

#5 Feb 01 2012 at 11:59 AM Rating: Excellent
****
6,470 posts
I feel like the first thing that you have to do is identify what types of stuff you find particularly creepy/scary/disturbing.

For me, I think I'm most tweaked out by things that seem subtlely out-of-place, or abnormal. It's weird, but I'm less scared by things like monsters jumping out and overtly attacking you. I get more scared of things that just stand still, seeming vaguely malevolent and otherworldy. Put a mask on something like that, and it doubles the scare factor. Ever seen that scene with the dog wearing the mask in The Unborn? That gave me the heebie-jeebies.

So that being said, here's a great example, and probably the scariest scene in gaming for me:



[:shudders:]

Edited, Feb 1st 2012 1:00pm by Eske
____________________________
Latest Articles:
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine Review

Follow me on Twitter!
#6 Feb 01 2012 at 12:00 PM Rating: Good
*****
19,984 posts
Sir Spoonless wrote:
In the original Resident Evil, when the dog crashes through the window. Smiley: lol Got me every time, even when I knew it was coming.



Omg, me too. That was actually the first thing I thought of.

Dark Souls' and Demon Souls' general ambiance and tendency to jump out at you, while not scary, are decently high on the "eerie" list. And I've definitely jumped a few times playing them.

I never really buy horror games, though, so I don't have much else. Besides these, the scariest game I own is probably Fallout New Vegas. Smiley: lol
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#7 Feb 01 2012 at 12:01 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Eske Esquire wrote:
I feel like the first thing that you have to do is identify what types of stuff you find particularly creepy/scary/disturbing.
Jophiel previously wrote:
Define "scary" however you want.

Smiley: mad
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#8 Feb 01 2012 at 12:02 PM Rating: Excellent
****
6,470 posts
Jophiel wrote:
Eske Esquire wrote:
I feel like the first thing that you have to do is identify what types of stuff you find particularly creepy/scary/disturbing.
Jophiel previously wrote:
Define "scary" however you want.

Smiley: mad


Come at me bro.
____________________________
Latest Articles:
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine Review

Follow me on Twitter!
#9 Feb 01 2012 at 12:21 PM Rating: Excellent
*****
19,984 posts
If we are talking disturbing, then I recall a scene from the first Xenosaga game.

They had just taken a huge beating, and most of the troops (who were artificially created humans) were severely wounded by gunfire and bleeding out on the ground. Another soldier (real human with a strong prejudice against the others), uses a sort of control computer to give them a forced order through, I suppose, their cybernetic parts--he forced them to crawl towards a central area, despite their injuries (complete with their moans of pain).

Then, it turns out, each of them had self-destruct mechanism put in place in case something ever went haywire and turned them aggressive. So he blows them all up to destroy a bridge, as the main character screams at him to stop, as he had no right to play god with their lives (which was all she could do, since he was in a mech).
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#10 Feb 01 2012 at 12:23 PM Rating: Excellent
@#%^
*****
15,822 posts
idiggory, King of Bards wrote:
If we are talking disturbing, then I recall a scene from the first Xenosaga game.

They had just taken a huge beating, and most of the troops (who were artificially created humans) were severely wounded by gunfire and bleeding out on the ground. Another soldier (real human with a strong prejudice against the others), uses a sort of control computer to give them a forced order through, I suppose, their cybernetic parts--he forced them to crawl towards a central area, despite their injuries (complete with their moans of pain).

Then, it turns out, each of them had self-destruct mechanism put in place in case something ever went haywire and turned them aggressive. So he blows them all up to destroy a bridge, as the main character screams at him to stop, as he had no right to play god with their lives (which was all she could do, since he was in a mech).


****, I haven't thought about Xenosaga in years.
____________________________
"I have lost my way
But I hear a tale
About a heaven in Alberta
Where they've got all **** for a basement"

#11 Feb 01 2012 at 12:41 PM Rating: Excellent
****
6,470 posts
You know what was scary about Xenosaga?

The characters' creepy, soulless, doll eyes. Seriously.
____________________________
Latest Articles:
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine Review

Follow me on Twitter!
#12 Feb 01 2012 at 12:52 PM Rating: Good
Terrorfiend
*****
12,905 posts
my first scare in a game was probably in System Shock 2, just from random crap falling and making a ton of noise.

There were a few scary moments in F.E.A.R. and i find pretty much all of Amnesia to be terrifying, but I really get into that game.
#13 Feb 01 2012 at 1:06 PM Rating: Good
*****
19,984 posts
Eske Esquire wrote:
You know what was scary about Xenosaga?

The characters' creepy, soulless, doll eyes. Seriously.


At least they turned that into a plot point a few times. Smiley: lol
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#14 Feb 01 2012 at 1:16 PM Rating: Excellent
***
1,877 posts
Hehe yeah Eske I agree that was creepy as ****. There was a part in Bioshock that did the same thing.

I remember when I was younger I was playing Tomb Raider 3 with my cousin. We would take turns after the other person died. Well we finally figured out how to get past the very first part of the game and I was playing. I was riding down a zip line to be greeted by a tiger jumping out from a bush at the bottom. I naturally jumped out of shock. My cousin proceeded to scream and run down the hall. Smiley: lol

When I was really young I would have nightmares about the final boss in Super Mario 2. The flying eagle head things certainly were nightmare fuel for my young mind. I absolutely hated defeating them.

More recent games though I would go with Amnesia. I know it is a well known horror game but it does the suspense very well. Alas I will not play it. I prefer to keep my pants clean.
____________________________
#swaggerjacker
#15 Feb 01 2012 at 1:16 PM Rating: Excellent
******
44,511 posts
I'd rank the pedophile with the god complex pretty high in Xenosaga.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#16 Feb 01 2012 at 1:24 PM Rating: Excellent
Unforkgettable
*****
13,251 posts
Dead Space really got the ambience thing down. Walking down seemingly abandoned corridors hearing something skittering along in the vents...
____________________________
Banh
#17 Feb 01 2012 at 1:51 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
*****
11,415 posts
Silent Hill 2, when you walk out of that one room in the apartment building, and Pyramid Head is standing on the other side of the bars staring at you. I just stood still for 5 minutes watching him to make sure he wasn't going to charge at me.
____________________________
Shaowstrike (Retired - FFXI)
91PUP/BLM 86SMN/BST 76DRK
Cooking/Fishing 100


"We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."
— James D. Nicoll
#18 Feb 01 2012 at 8:18 PM Rating: Good
Repressed Memories
******
20,590 posts
When I was younger, the forest temple and the well from Legend of Zelda: OoT were pretty terrifying. Shadow temple did a bit, but I guess it became less terrifying because I knew it was supposed to be scary.

What I played of the demo for Fatal Frame was decently terrifying. I tend to dislike "jump out and say boo," type horror, but I thought it was executed well to the point where it became and ever-present threat that was itself a terror, without need to ever be carried out.

I haven't had any particularly scary moments in games of late, but I haven't played any particularly scary games of late either.
#19 Feb 01 2012 at 8:29 PM Rating: Good
Gurue
*****
16,289 posts
Eske Esquire wrote:
Jophiel wrote:
Eske Esquire wrote:
I feel like the first thing that you have to do is identify what types of stuff you find particularly creepy/scary/disturbing.
Jophiel previously wrote:
Define "scary" however you want.

Smiley: mad


Come at me bro.

This got rated down??

Smiley: laugh

People. I hates 'em.
#20 Feb 01 2012 at 8:39 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Maybe it scared them?
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#21 Feb 01 2012 at 8:52 PM Rating: Good
Gurue
*****
16,289 posts
Smiley: laugh I got rated down too.

Joph, your fan club is out of control!
#22 Feb 01 2012 at 9:34 PM Rating: Excellent
****
6,470 posts
Nadenu wrote:
Smiley: laugh I got rated down too.

Joph, your fan club is out of control!


I brought ya back to Good, at least. Some very testy folks around, apparently. Maybe they thought I was being serious.



I totally was.
____________________________
Latest Articles:
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine Review

Follow me on Twitter!
#23 Feb 01 2012 at 9:45 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Thread rate-ups because I can!
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#24 Feb 01 2012 at 11:04 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
5,561 posts
Allegory wrote:
When I was younger, the forest temple and the well from Legend of Zelda: OoT were pretty terrifying. Shadow temple did a bit, but I guess it became less terrifying because I knew it was supposed to be scary.


ReDeads. F*cking ReDeads.

And the Swamp temple in Majora's Mask, all the little black things in the shadows that all you could see was their eyes. Heaven help you when you had to run through a pitch black room and all you heard was the things scuttling around.

Actually, you know, almost all of Majora's mask was freaky, in a surreal way. But it was also pretty awesome in the same surreal way if that makes sense.
____________________________
idiggory, King of Bards wrote:
I have a racist ****.

Steam: TuxedoFish
battle.net: Fishy #1649
GW2: Fishy.4129


Join us in the =4 subreddit!
#25 Feb 01 2012 at 11:20 PM Rating: Good
***
1,877 posts
Speaking of Majora's Mask there were two parts to that game that took several days of amping myself up to play through. One was the alien invasion. Creepy music and just overall frightening considering what happens if you skip helping and show up the next day. The second being when the moon crashes into the planet. -shudder-
____________________________
#swaggerjacker
#26 Feb 01 2012 at 11:22 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
11,415 posts
Allegory wrote:
When I was younger, the forest temple and the well from Legend of Zelda: OoT were pretty terrifying. Shadow temple did a bit, but I guess it became less terrifying because I knew it was supposed to be scary.


Yeah, the Forest Temple's music really freaked me out when I first played the game.


IDrownFish wrote:
ReDeads. F*cking ReDeads.

And the Swamp temple in Majora's Mask, all the little black things in the shadows that all you could see was their eyes. Heaven help you when you had to run through a pitch black room and all you heard was the things scuttling around.

Actually, you know, almost all of Majora's mask was freaky, in a surreal way. But it was also pretty awesome in the same surreal way if that makes sense.


For your enjoyment:

____________________________
Shaowstrike (Retired - FFXI)
91PUP/BLM 86SMN/BST 76DRK
Cooking/Fishing 100


"We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."
— James D. Nicoll
#27 Feb 02 2012 at 12:20 AM Rating: Good
The Horror games don't bother me too much although that Mannequin video was pretty awesome.

Grey Aliens sometimes freak me out though. Still left over from the X-Files hype days I think and being dumb enough to read the Allagash Abductions book while I was actually on the Allegash water way in a small cabin with no electricty 50 miles from no where in Maine.

So without Further ado:



Felt good to start pluggin those little bastards with plasma.




Edited, Feb 1st 2012 10:23pm by Shojindo
____________________________
An old silent pond...
A frog jumps into the pond,
splash! Silence again.

~ Matsuo Basho
#28 Feb 02 2012 at 12:35 AM Rating: Good
After playing Amnesia, I gotta say nothing comes close. The feeling of helplessness (no weapons!), the overall mood of the game, & the sound, combine to make it terrifying. Other than that, there've been a few "jump" scares that got me in various other games (Resident Evil, System Shock/Bio Shock, Dead Island, F.E.A.R., etc.).

Dragons in Skyrim can now be scary again too, now that I have the Dangerous Dragons mods. But it's less "run away in fear" & more "run away before it one shots me with it's acid breath" kind of scary.
____________________________
"The Rich are there to take all of the money & pay none of the taxes, the middle class is there to do all the work and pay all the taxes, and the poor are there to scare the crap out of the middle class." -George Carlin


#29 Feb 02 2012 at 1:16 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
******
27,903 posts
Master Shojindo wrote:
Grey Aliens sometimes freak me out though. Still left over from the X-Files hype days I think and being dumb enough to read the Allagash Abductions book while I was actually on the Allegash water way in a small cabin with no electricty 50 miles from no where in Maine.

So without Further ado:



Felt good to start pluggin those little bastards with plasma.
With my overactive imagination and tendency to obsess on things, just about anything can become scary to me. This particular sort of thing, however, really holds a special place in the fear center of my brain.


Edited, Feb 2nd 2012 12:17am by Poldaran
#30 Feb 02 2012 at 4:23 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
5,561 posts
Yeah, the alien part was pretty freaking creepy too. Also, when Majora's Mask came out, I was seven. God that game scared the **** out of me.

Shaowstrike the Shady wrote:
IDrownFish wrote:
ReDeads. F*cking ReDeads.

And the Swamp temple in Majora's Mask, all the little black things in the shadows that all you could see was their eyes. Heaven help you when you had to run through a pitch black room and all you heard was the things scuttling around.

Actually, you know, almost all of Majora's mask was freaky, in a surreal way. But it was also pretty awesome in the same surreal way if that makes sense.


For your enjoyment:



Counterattack:



Edited, Feb 2nd 2012 5:24am by IDrownFish
____________________________
idiggory, King of Bards wrote:
I have a racist ****.

Steam: TuxedoFish
battle.net: Fishy #1649
GW2: Fishy.4129


Join us in the =4 subreddit!
#31 Feb 02 2012 at 7:19 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
5,673 posts
There is a part in Zelda: Link's Awakening (Gameboy) where you come across an old dilapidated house, and some ghost comes out and follows you around until you take it to where it needs to go. The sound it made ever time you changed frames was extremely unnerving and when I was a kid it was pretty scary. Also this.
____________________________
my Tumblr
Pixelmon Server Info
FFXI-AH Profile
#32 Feb 02 2012 at 8:45 AM Rating: Excellent
Annoying Ass
ZAM Administrator
Avatar
*****
12,024 posts
Resident Evil traditionally had a bunch of "BOO!" parts where something jumps out; but those obviously go for shock value. Silent Hill's games tended to take unnerving to a higher level (although I only played one of them... the second one, maybe?). I remember Parasite Eve 2 had some freaky things, even though the graphics were relatively poor.

Heck, did anyone play Parasite Eve 2 besides me? It's actually one of my favorite survival games (although it's more survival/RPG instead of survival/action like Silent Hill/RE).

The freakiest game-related thing I ever read/saw was the cursed Majora's Mask post from like 2010. You can read it here: http://inuscreepystuff.blogspot.com/2010/09/majora.html

The text was kinda "Meh"... and then you watch the videos. *Shudder*
____________________________
Retired News Writer for the ZAM Network
WoW - Aureliano the Insane - level 90 Druid on Sen'Jin
Nanaoki - level 90 Mage on Sen'Jin
#33 Feb 02 2012 at 8:59 AM Rating: Good
****
6,470 posts
LockeColeMA wrote:
Heck, did anyone play Parasite Eve 2 besides me? It's actually one of my favorite survival games (although it's more survival/RPG instead of survival/action like Silent Hill/RE).


I think I only played the first game, though I enjoyed it quite a bit. I remember liking the combat and 'guncrafting' systems. I feel like I played the second, but don't remember a thing about it. Read the plot synopsis, and nothing really struck a bell. Maybe I'm remembering wrong.

It's kinda funny to me that everyone keeps mentioning stuff from Zelda games. To hear it told here, that series was the pinnacle of the horror genre!

I found those pale, long neck, long armed things that burrowed in the ground in Ocarina of Time to be the scariest. Where did you run into them? Down a well or something like that?
____________________________
Latest Articles:
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine Review

Follow me on Twitter!
#34 Feb 02 2012 at 9:19 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Way, way back in the day I played a game called Project Firestart on the Commodore 64. Supposedly it's one of, if not the, first games in the "survival horror" genre. It was definitely the first game I ever saw with graphic use of blood; not just "gore" sprites but streaked onto the walls, pooled around bodies and smeared into words warning you of danger. You were getting stalked by these big shambling aliens and the music would suddenly change when one appeared and your laser sucked so you had to run away as often as not.

I looked up some Youtube video and it looks positively quaint by today's standards but at the time it used to spook me out.

Edited, Feb 2nd 2012 9:24am by Jophiel
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#35 Feb 02 2012 at 11:01 AM Rating: Excellent
Gurue
*****
16,289 posts
I guess I've just never played anything that spooked me. Either that, or I got spooked so bad I've blocked the memory. Then again, since I stick with MMOs and Civ games, that could be it.

So, um... Montezuma is scary! Yeah!
#36 Feb 02 2012 at 11:13 AM Rating: Good
****
6,470 posts
Jophiel wrote:
Way, way back in the day I played a game called Project Firestart on the Commodore 64. Supposedly it's one of, if not the, first games in the "survival horror" genre. It was definitely the first game I ever saw with graphic use of blood; not just "gore" sprites but streaked onto the walls, pooled around bodies and smeared into words warning you of danger. You were getting stalked by these big shambling aliens and the music would suddenly change when one appeared and your laser sucked so you had to run away as often as not.

I looked up some Youtube video and it looks positively quaint by today's standards but at the time it used to spook me out.

Edited, Feb 2nd 2012 9:24am by Jophiel


I remember that I never wanted to play the flight combat sim that we had on the C64, because there was too much requisite knowledge for my little brain to handle, and I always died on takeoff. The game would show a screen showing your character in a coffin draped with the American flag, and a purple heart. I guess I found that mildly traumatic, because I was afraid to play after my first few unsuccessful attempts.

The first intentionally scary game that I remember was off the Alien franchise. Can't remember the system...SNES maybe? I remember that the Aliens didn't make any noise as they approached, so you didn't know that you were @#%^ed until your screen started flashing red and you turned around to see the facehuggers or full grown aliens that had snuck up and were now raping you from behind. It made you pretty paranoid, IIRC, and I'd spend the whole game spinning around and expecting enemies from everywhere (which, really, is exactly what a game about that stuff should shoot for). Tough game.

Edited, Feb 2nd 2012 12:15pm by Eske
____________________________
Latest Articles:
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine Review

Follow me on Twitter!
#37 Feb 02 2012 at 6:30 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
5,561 posts
LockeColeMA wrote:
The freakiest game-related thing I ever read/saw was the cursed Majora's Mask post from like 2010. You can read it here: http://inuscreepystuff.blogspot.com/2010/09/majora.html

The text was kinda "Meh"... and then you watch the videos. *Shudder*


Ah, the good ol' Majora's Mask creepypasta.

Creepypasta can be good, but Sturgeon's Law definitely applies.
____________________________
idiggory, King of Bards wrote:
I have a racist ****.

Steam: TuxedoFish
battle.net: Fishy #1649
GW2: Fishy.4129


Join us in the =4 subreddit!
#38 Feb 02 2012 at 9:12 PM Rating: Excellent
Annoying Ass
ZAM Administrator
Avatar
*****
12,024 posts
IDrownFish wrote:
LockeColeMA wrote:
The freakiest game-related thing I ever read/saw was the cursed Majora's Mask post from like 2010. You can read it here: http://inuscreepystuff.blogspot.com/2010/09/majora.html

The text was kinda "Meh"... and then you watch the videos. *Shudder*


Ah, the good ol' Majora's Mask creepypasta.

Creepypasta can be good, but Sturgeon's Law definitely applies.


Amen... but the videos still make it SUPER FREAKY. I would love to have the skills to make a ROM of this creepy-pasta, lol.
____________________________
Retired News Writer for the ZAM Network
WoW - Aureliano the Insane - level 90 Druid on Sen'Jin
Nanaoki - level 90 Mage on Sen'Jin
#39 Feb 03 2012 at 8:10 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
1 post
Fatal Frame 2 has to be a really scary game I've played before
#40 Feb 04 2012 at 8:56 PM Rating: Good
*****
19,984 posts
Thinking about it, the Derelict Reaper in Mass Effect 2 was pretty eerie, too. As was the Collector's Base.
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 49 All times are in CST
BeanX, Demea, Shojindo, Anonymous Guests (46)