Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Skyrim, or, How I Ruined My LifeFollow

#577 Nov 22 2011 at 5:06 AM Rating: Excellent
If anyone hasn't seen it: the Life & Death of Lydia.
____________________________
"The Rich are there to take all of the money & pay none of the taxes, the middle class is there to do all the work and pay all the taxes, and the poor are there to scare the crap out of the middle class." -George Carlin


#578 Nov 22 2011 at 7:36 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
4,297 posts
so.... for those of you who have already entered solitude and have a taste for the macabre... the first time i went in there i was kind of surprised and the blood spurting out of his neck. well actually, the first time i went in i got up on the platform and the guards attacked and i got more 1H skillups in the following 2 minutes than in the previous 12 hours.

but the third time i went in there, i got up close and personal to see if the blood would spatter the screen .... and raggvir's head... it rolled right in front of me and he looked at me for a couple seconds, blinked, then closed his eyes.

on my way out again his head had rolled into the center of the square, lol.
#579 Nov 22 2011 at 8:16 AM Rating: Good
Ghost in the Machine
Avatar
******
36,439 posts
Omegavegeta wrote:
If anyone hasn't seen it: the Life & Death of Lydia.


The video with Lydia and the gate had me in tears. Smiley: lol

I've noticed the companions truly do everything in their power to push ever pressure plate in the floor, stand in oil when I'm throwing fire spells and run in between me and my target just as I'm attacking.

That's why I don't run with a companion, anymore. Companion fail makes me kill Riverwood over and over again until no one is left but that little, crying girl whom you apparently can't kill (yes, I tried, don't judge me).

Also, one of the comments to that article was disturbing:

Quote:
My experiments with Necromancy in Skyrim ended when I accidentally clipped my zombie’s head with a greatsword, and as it died it moaned a guttural “thank you”. After that, I paused the game and stared at the wall for a while.


Another was pure win, though:

Quote:
I had to use a console “resurrect” command in Morrowind. I was on a mission for one of the houses, and was asked to assassinate some chap. Trouble was I’d already killed him, and was in fact living in his house.

So I resurrected him, and then killed him again. That felt quite odd…


Edited, Nov 22nd 2011 3:18pm by Mazra
____________________________
Please "talk up" if your comprehension white-shifts. I will use simple-happy language-words to help you understand.
#580 Nov 22 2011 at 9:36 AM Rating: Excellent
Annoying Ass
ZAM Administrator
Avatar
*****
12,049 posts
Mazra wrote:
Omegavegeta wrote:
If anyone hasn't seen it: the Life & Death of Lydia.


The video with Lydia and the gate had me in tears. Smiley: lol

I've noticed the companions truly do everything in their power to push ever pressure plate in the floor, stand in oil when I'm throwing fire spells and run in between me and my target just as I'm attacking.

That's why I don't run with a companion, anymore. Companion fail makes me kill Riverwood over and over again until no one is left but that little, crying girl whom you apparently can't kill (yes, I tried, don't judge me).


I was LOLing at the gate video too. Oh my gosh, it was classic!

I'm finding companions aren't as useful as they were at low levels. At low levels, my dog companion was fantastic; he took on saber cats solo, something I couldn't do. Now I have no problem with most enemies, and the only enemies I might need help with are bosses... and I usually end up reloading anyway, because my companions die during the fight. The only purpose Lydia has right now is as a pack mule in case I come across a few dragons and need her to hold some bones... and even that is less of an issue now that my base carrying weight is like 385 and I have several pieces of +20-30 carry capacity gear.

I guess the only true reason I still have them is because it's a big world and kinda lonely out there Smiley: frown
____________________________
Retired News Writer for the ZAM Network
WoW - Aureliano the Insane - level 90 Druid on Sen'Jin
Nanaoki - level 90 Mage on Sen'Jin
#581 Nov 22 2011 at 9:51 AM Rating: Good
***
1,606 posts
So has anyone seen anything that would really merit a mature rating? The opening part where the guy gets his head chopped off (and later someone else having the same thing done) has been about the only thing. The fatality animations are pretty tame(lame). They should be cool but they don't actually do anything. Fallout 3 seemed so much more bloody and/or gory than this.
#582 Nov 22 2011 at 9:58 AM Rating: Good
****
6,471 posts
Okay, the Nightengale set was everything it was made out to be. Bad-ass. Smiley: cool
#583 Nov 22 2011 at 10:08 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,330 posts
Eske Esquire wrote:
Okay, the Nightengale set was everything it was made out to be. Bad-ass. Smiley: cool


There's a guild leader set too. It's a (mostly) beefed up version of the standard guild set.
#584 Nov 22 2011 at 10:23 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,162 posts
#585 Nov 22 2011 at 10:36 AM Rating: Good
Ohh I just looked that up, it does look badass. And lmao at the Lydia article. The first time she died on me I tried to re-animate her too... >.>

I took her around a bit again on my mage becuase when my mage was young she needed her to survive. Ok here are my random observations on my pure mage concept build that has now morphed into a slightly more battlemagey type.

Robes suck. I pretty much went straight to the college at winterhold after talking to the greybeards and doing enough random things to have a house. I was like maybe level 8. The mage college quest line is ROUGH at that low a level. While the questline seems great some of those endless Dwemer dungeon crawls full of Falmer were really sketchy.

I'd find myself out of mana from dual casting impact fireballs after one mob and here comes 2 more.

So I went back to town and leveled up smithing enough to make a exquisite Elven set. Then leveled Enchanting enough to put regen on the helm an chest. With extra magika on some other pieces.

It's like night and day. I am so much stronger. I use my firebolts until I am out of mana and swap to a sword to finish if I have too while I regen enough magic to start casting again. Also Fire Atronarch rocks! She mostly hangs back but even if she gets in the way my fire spells don't hurt her. But I only bust her out for tough fights becuase I like to get all the destruction skill ups I can and she is a kill stealer. :)



____________________________
An old silent pond...
A frog jumps into the pond,
splash! Silence again.

~ Matsuo Basho
#586 Nov 22 2011 at 10:45 AM Rating: Excellent
Annoying Ass
ZAM Administrator
Avatar
*****
12,049 posts
MrTalos wrote:
So has anyone seen anything that would really merit a mature rating? The opening part where the guy gets his head chopped off (and later someone else having the same thing done) has been about the only thing. The fatality animations are pretty tame(lame). They should be cool but they don't actually do anything. Fallout 3 seemed so much more bloody and/or gory than this.

Mostly the violence. Blood stains your weapons, one of the fatalities that happens fairly often with a sword is decapitation (complete with blood squirting out of the severed neck). I feel it's not nearly as mature as Dragon Age, but it's still enough for the M tag.
____________________________
Retired News Writer for the ZAM Network
WoW - Aureliano the Insane - level 90 Druid on Sen'Jin
Nanaoki - level 90 Mage on Sen'Jin
#587 Nov 22 2011 at 10:50 AM Rating: Good
******
20,020 posts
MrTalos wrote:
So has anyone seen anything that would really merit a mature rating? The opening part where the guy gets his head chopped off (and later someone else having the same thing done) has been about the only thing. The fatality animations are pretty tame(lame). They should be cool but they don't actually do anything. Fallout 3 seemed so much more bloody and/or gory than this.


Remember that the fatalities can be pretty brutal too.

But, anyway, ESRB summary:

Quote:
"This is a fantasy role-playing game in which players assume the role of Dovakin, a prophesied figure with the power to combat dragons in the fictional world of Skyrim," it reads.
"As players traverse through mountainous open-world environments, they complete missions and quests that impact the eventual fate of their character. Players use swords, bows and arrows, axes, and magic attacks (e.g., fireballs, ice shards) to kill various enemies (e.g., wolves, dragons, human bandits and soldiers).
"As players engage in melee-style combat, some sequences are highlighted by slow-motion effects, particularly for decapitations. Large blood-splatter effects also occur during combat, and some environments are stained with blood or body parts (e.g., heads impaled on spikes). Some sequences allow players to injure/kill nonadversary characters, including prisoners chained to a wall; they scream in pain amid splashes of blood or fire.
"As the game progresses, the dialogue and on-screen text contains references to sexual material (e.g., ". . . all the whores your heart, or any other organ, desires," "She . . . raped the men as cruelly as Bal had ravished her," and "Remember when you thought [he] was . . . intent on making you . . . into his personal *** slave?").
"Alcohol such as wine, mead, and ale can be purchased and consumed by players' character throughout the game; and in one sequence, players can engage in a drinking contest with another character, which eventually results in slurred speech (e.g., "One more. No problemsh . . . Thash grape!")."


And it's obviously one of the most absurdly stupid organizations I've seen. There's nothing in Skyrim any 16 year old couldn't handle. Anyone in high school, realistically. But it all has to do with this fantasy world the US has in which no one watches **** until they turn 18, where children NEVER curse, and where videos of death and blood are evil (unless you see them on Fox News).
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#588 Nov 22 2011 at 11:04 AM Rating: Good
It's Just a Flesh Wound
******
22,699 posts
Quote:
Companion fail makes me kill Riverwood over and over again until no one is left but that little, crying girl whom you apparently can't kill (yes, I tried, don't judge me).


There's a mod that lets you kill children. :3
____________________________
Dear people I don't like: 凸(●´―`●)凸
#589 Nov 22 2011 at 11:10 AM Rating: Decent
It's Just a Flesh Wound
******
22,699 posts
Quote:
And it's obviously one of the most absurdly stupid organizations I've seen. There's nothing in Skyrim any 16 year old couldn't handle. Anyone in high school, realistically. But it all has to do with this fantasy world the US has in which no one watches **** until they turn 18, where children NEVER curse, and where videos of death and blood are evil (unless you see them on Fox News).


You're feelings are misplaced. They're stated reasons support it getting an M rating entirely, with no doubts. You should be >:O at the people who decide that 16 year olds can't be mature. Let us protest, for hopes that they will lower the age of consent to 16 realize we speak the truth!
____________________________
Dear people I don't like: 凸(●´―`●)凸
#590 Nov 22 2011 at 11:13 AM Rating: Good
****
6,471 posts
Ravashack wrote:
Eske Esquire wrote:
Okay, the Nightengale set was everything it was made out to be. Bad-ass. Smiley: cool


There's a guild leader set too. It's a (mostly) beefed up version of the standard guild set.


Oh really? I was wondering about that. I'm guessing it's like the dark blue gear that say, Brynholf typically wears? I was sort of hoping I'd get something like that as a reward somewhere down the line.

I'm already missing the +35 Capacity from my improved Thief's Cuirass. If the leader set has the same bonus (or more), I'm going to be torn between that and the Nightengale one.

I wish the Nightengale set had + Capacity Smiley: glare
#591 Nov 22 2011 at 11:17 AM Rating: Good
Worst. Title. Ever!
*****
16,935 posts
I did the drinking contest quest in Whiterun. Got drunk, taken to another town, molested a naked statue of a deity, broke into the female-only inner sanctum, got sent on a quest to kidnap a little girl from her home town.

Honestly, why would the priestesses send the random man who just got caught sexing up the naked statues of their beloved goddess to collect a young girl for them?

I reloaded before finishing the quests, since I didn't want to be there yet, and instead wanted to finish some things around Whiterun first.


It has been so long since I've played Morrowind and Oblivion I forgot how awesome the Elder Scrolls games were.
____________________________
Can't sleep, clown will eat me.
#592 Nov 22 2011 at 11:24 AM Rating: Good
****
5,599 posts
Deadgye wrote:
Quote:
Companion fail makes me kill Riverwood over and over again until no one is left but that little, crying girl whom you apparently can't kill (yes, I tried, don't judge me).


There's a mod that lets you kill children. :3


...I need this mod.

TirithRR wrote:
I did the drinking contest quest in Whiterun. Got drunk, taken to another town, molested a naked statue of a deity, broke into the female-only inner sanctum, got sent on a quest to kidnap a little girl from her home town.

Honestly, why would the priestesses send the random man who just got caught sexing up the naked statues of their beloved goddess to collect a young girl for them?

I reloaded before finishing the quests, since I didn't want to be there yet, and instead wanted to finish some things around Whiterun first.


It has been so long since I've played Morrowind and Oblivion I forgot how awesome the Elder Scrolls games were.


That is an awesome and hilarious quest, I suggest you finish it ASAP. I especially like the "woman" you got engaged to.
____________________________
idiggory, King of Bards wrote:
I have a racist ****.

Steam: TuxedoFish
battle.net: Fishy #1649
GW2: Fishy.4129
#593 Nov 22 2011 at 11:35 AM Rating: Good
******
20,020 posts
Does anyone else find themselves unwilling to press load on the starting screen, because they know it will turn off the awesome intro?
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#594 Nov 22 2011 at 11:43 AM Rating: Good
****
5,599 posts
Every time.
____________________________
idiggory, King of Bards wrote:
I have a racist ****.

Steam: TuxedoFish
battle.net: Fishy #1649
GW2: Fishy.4129
#595 Nov 22 2011 at 11:51 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,330 posts
Eske Esquire wrote:
Ravashack wrote:
Eske Esquire wrote:
Okay, the Nightengale set was everything it was made out to be. Bad-ass. Smiley: cool


There's a guild leader set too. It's a (mostly) beefed up version of the standard guild set.


Oh really? I was wondering about that. I'm guessing it's like the dark blue gear that say, Brynholf typically wears? I was sort of hoping I'd get something like that as a reward somewhere down the line.

I'm already missing the +35 Capacity from my improved Thief's Cuirass. If the leader set has the same bonus (or more), I'm going to be torn between that and the Nightengale one.

I wish the Nightengale set had + Capacity Smiley: glare


From what I remember, it looks *exactly* like what Brynholf wears. And yes, it does have Carrying Capacity on the chest.

But you'll need to restore the Thieves Guild to its former glory. :)
#596 Nov 22 2011 at 12:36 PM Rating: Good
***
1,606 posts
LockeColeMA wrote:
MrTalos wrote:
So has anyone seen anything that would really merit a mature rating? The opening part where the guy gets his head chopped off (and later someone else having the same thing done) has been about the only thing. The fatality animations are pretty tame(lame). They should be cool but they don't actually do anything. Fallout 3 seemed so much more bloody and/or gory than this.

Mostly the violence. Blood stains your weapons, one of the fatalities that happens fairly often with a sword is decapitation (complete with blood squirting out of the severed neck). I feel it's not nearly as mature as Dragon Age, but it's still enough for the M tag.
I have never seen that fatality. Haven't used a sword a whole lot. My dagger attack from behind looks like he's slitting the guys eyes because it's so high up. 2h hammer, I do sort of a leg sweep and knock them down and then slam the hammer down (while seeing little or nothing). Just haven't seen anything that impressive so I may have to switch to a sword just to see something of interest.
#597 Nov 22 2011 at 12:40 PM Rating: Good
******
49,900 posts
The fairly constant reference to alcohol is also a factor.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#598 Nov 22 2011 at 12:47 PM Rating: Good
Quote:
The fairly constant reference to alcohol is also a factor.


Makes me thirsty! Smiley: chug

I got the rest of the week off from work after today for Thanksgiving. Gonna drink so much fine beverages and play so much more Skyrim. Rawr
____________________________
An old silent pond...
A frog jumps into the pond,
splash! Silence again.

~ Matsuo Basho
#599 Nov 22 2011 at 1:32 PM Rating: Excellent
Ok I may have changed my mind a bit about my "robes suck" policy. Arch Mages robes and Modokei's mask are dead **** together.
____________________________
An old silent pond...
A frog jumps into the pond,
splash! Silence again.

~ Matsuo Basho
#600 Nov 22 2011 at 1:53 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,330 posts
Shojindo of the Ten Storms wrote:
Ok I may have changed my mind a bit about my "robes suck" policy. Arch Mages robes and Modokei's mask are dead **** together.


Yep. I've been using Arch Mage robes over everything until I got my cheesed Dragon Scale armor, although I'm not sure how I feel about wearing something that looks like a poncho for most of the game. :D

There's also a Diadem with the cast reduction to all spells effect, but that's a bit weaker -- would be stepping stone gear to Modokei.

Finally, now that I did put together the 100% gear for Destruction...I can honestly say that the fastest way to skill up Destruction is to cast the highest tier spells that you can cast. Once I was able to chain cast the Thunderbolt/Ice Spear tier of spells, it was a very easy comparison to make. I jumped from 73 to 90+ in less than an hour that way, compared to the slow torture from 50s to 70s. And to put it mildly...that sucks. It means I lost out on a lot of skill ups staying frugal and using the most effective tier. :/
#601 Nov 22 2011 at 2:09 PM Rating: Good
******
20,020 posts
Shojindo of the Ten Storms wrote:
Ok I may have changed my mind a bit about my "robes suck" policy. Arch Mages robes and Modokei's mask are dead **** together.


What really sucks is that Mage Armor is useless if you don a mask.

Would it have killed them to make one of those clothing?
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 1 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (1)