Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Skyrim, or, How I Ruined My LifeFollow

#1002 Dec 12 2011 at 10:18 AM Rating: Excellent
Annoying Ass
ZAM Administrator
Avatar
*****
11,928 posts
The One and Only Poldaran wrote:
LockeColeMA wrote:
I like Skyrim's story, world, and quests better than Oblivion, though. Oblivion, I played through the main quest, a couple of sidequests, the expansion, and that was it. I probably still have a good 40-50% of the content left to do, but I just ran out of steam. Hasn't happened with Skyrim yet.
I feel about the same as what's written here, but also want to add that the leveling system, which is what finally killed Oblivion for me, is so much better in Skyrim. I'd say I'm about halfway through the game's quests(based on number of cities I've visited and can find no more quests in), and everything is still fun.


I find the leveling pretty similar, actually. It's just you need to specialize more; unlike in Oblivion, where perks are unlocked as you hit a skill level, in Skyrim you both need to hit the level AND need to have the perks available. It makes you a bit choosier, but also limits what you can do a bit more. And I'll probably be the only person who feels this way, but I do kinda miss the stat system and the athletics skill. It was pretty fun boosting my athletics to insane levels and jumping from hilltop to hilltop.

And spell crafting. Yeah, athletics boosting and spellcrafting are what I miss the most. Other than those, Skyrim is a lot better.
____________________________
Retired News Writer for the ZAM Network
WoW - Aureliano the Insane - level 90 Druid on Sen'Jin
Nanaoki - level 90 Mage on Sen'Jin
#1003 Dec 12 2011 at 10:41 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
19,626 posts
Honestly, I think the game is better off without spellcrafting.
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#1004 Dec 12 2011 at 11:17 AM Rating: Good
Worst. Title. Ever!
*****
14,694 posts
The One and Only Poldaran wrote:
Except that one boss with the Fus Ro Dah and the multiple copies on the platforms, that wasn't quite so much fun as it was an exercise in frustration. Beyond that, it's been nothing but fun.


I kind of cheated. I sat back by his throne and just shot him with Arrows. When I started I was too close and he used the disarm shout while I was drawing my bow. So I was left holding an arrow in my hands and kind of laughed. But if I was standing at the throne he wouldn't attack me, and just sat back as I arrowed him to death.

My favorite Nord-King boss so far has been Olaf. I entered his place, with Mr. Ghost tailing behind me, Olaf and Mr. Ghost are duking it out, and I run up to beat down on Olaf. He turns to me, does a Fos Ro Dah and sends me flying across the tomb. Then continues to go back and fight the Ghost. It's like he was saying **** off and let me fight this Ghost." By the time I was back up on my feet and crawling towards him (must have been stunned or something, could barely move) the Ghost had him down to about 50% life.
____________________________
Can't sleep, clown will eat me.
#1005 Dec 12 2011 at 12:59 PM Rating: Excellent
Sage
****
5,684 posts
While Skyrim can also reach a plateau, the game also gives you reasons to keep exploring (shouts, quests) and since you're much more specialized in Skyrim, starting a new character can be a completely new experience all the way up to lv50.

I miss spellcrafting because it allowed for a wider variety of spells. The plague of diseases in this game is ridiculous and really wish there was a cure disease spell... and that is why I am a werewolf.

I really have yet to decide if I like the perk system of Skyrim- it gives off this feeling that you're almost forced to specialize. I'd rather choose to be specialized than limited in my abilities. Also, I found the perk system to be backwards since as you reach higher and higher level, the less and less you actually need perks. I think I've wasted about 10 perks simply because they were useful at the time and now, don't even fly as a prerequisite for anything.

I do like being able to choose hp/mp/stamina and the perk system does make leveling up more exciting- something to look forward to, almost. I really just wish I could unlock all perks on a single character without console.
____________________________
Signature starts here.
#1006 Dec 12 2011 at 1:20 PM Rating: Excellent
******
43,397 posts
Skyrim isn't that great a game. There, I said it. The story is barely there, it's easy to overpower your way through things, it's highly repetitive, and the worst offense is how glitchy and just how many exploits there are. It's an unfinished product. That being said, I still find myself having fun with it.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#1007 Dec 12 2011 at 1:36 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
***
1,301 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
Skyrim isn't that great a game. There, I said it. The story is barely there, it's easy to overpower your way through things, it's highly repetitive, and the worst offense is how glitchy and just how many exploits there are. It's an unfinished product. That being said, I still find myself having fun with it.


Having fun is all that matters. :)

#1008 Dec 12 2011 at 3:58 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
******
27,317 posts
LockeColeMA wrote:
I find the leveling pretty similar, actually. It's just you need to specialize more; unlike in Oblivion, where perks are unlocked as you hit a skill level, in Skyrim you both need to hit the level AND need to have the perks available.
Yeah, but you don't have to try to avoid gaining skill levels in certain skills while trying desperately to get them in the right ones in order to make sure you don't end up completely hosed when you're stuck getting a five, a four and a freaking two. With perks, you can bank the points until you're where you need to be on that particular skill.
____________________________
Someone on another forum wrote:
Wow, you've got an awesome writing style.! I really dig the narrator's back story, humor, sarcasm, and the plethora of pop culture references. Altogether a refreshingly different RotR journal (not that I don't like the more traditional ones, mind you).

#1009 Dec 12 2011 at 4:00 PM Rating: Good
Ghost in the Machine
Avatar
******
35,984 posts
The only part, aside from dragon animations, I dislike is the lack of gibbing. I don't mean that stuff should explode all over the screen every time you poke it, but come on, even with the decapitation perk, sometimes my dude just beats someone to death with his sword. A huge swing and the target flies clear across the room instead of getting sliced in half.

2011 graphics, 2006 physics. Smiley: frown

Edited, Dec 12th 2011 11:01pm by Mazra
____________________________
Please "talk up" if your comprehension white-shifts. I will use simple-happy language-words to help you understand.
#1010 Dec 12 2011 at 4:08 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
19,626 posts
Yeah. While gaining a level because of Speech and Pickpocketing perks technically underpowers you a little, it ultimately means very little. That was much less the case in Oblivion, where enemies would level up with you, but your stats wouldn't necessarily increase proportionately and your overall health was determined by how early, by level, you could cap your endurance.

In Skyrim, you'll be slightly less effective in normal melee combat if you power level sneak up to 100. In Oblivion, improperly doing the same would have been far more annoying (instead of 15 stat point increases that level, you'd get 7).

I'm much, MUCH happier with Skyrim's system.
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#1011 Dec 12 2011 at 6:07 PM Rating: Good
***
1,877 posts
Something odd happened to me in the game a bit ago. I had a quest to kill a dragon at Northwind Summit. I decided to go the backway and get the jump on the dragon, which I did but being only 12 and didn't power level my blacksmithing I only took a notch off his health. As he was slowly taking off, I booked it to the closest shed. As I started plucking away from his health and taking minimal fire damage he got tired of that, landed, and stuck his head in the shed to say hi. As soon as I got the chance I ran to the largest shed and managed to keep his face away from mine. As soon as he landed at 40%ish the shed bugged out and fell halfway into the ground. To make matters worse I couldn't get to the exit, was stuck against one wall. I shouted at the dragon staring at the back of the shed thinking I could very slowly kill him and he reciprocated. He then stuck his nose through the wall to say sorry and I proceeded to fire a dozen arrows up it until he died.

After absorbing his essence I quick traveled 100 yards away and looted his corpse. The shed was back to how it was when I entered. I made a mental note not to dare go back in there.
____________________________
#swaggerjacker
#1012 Dec 12 2011 at 6:21 PM Rating: Decent
Keeper of the Shroud
*****
13,043 posts
xypin wrote:
While Skyrim can also reach a plateau, the game also gives you reasons to keep exploring (shouts, quests) and since you're much more specialized in Skyrim, starting a new character can be a completely new experience all the way up to lv50.


Maybe up to level 30. Beyond that you end up running of perks to take and have to branch out a bit. I'm level 66 right now and I'm equally effective using Archery, Destruction Magic, and One Handed damage. I'm decent with Conjuration and Two Handed as well. On top of that I've capped and perked Smithing, Enchanting, Light Armor, and some Block. While I haven't put much in the way of perks into Sneak (just the extra damage perks), it's at level 96 and mobs will literally bump right into me in a dark room and still not detect me.
#1013 Dec 12 2011 at 7:09 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
The One and Only Poldaran wrote:
Yeah, but you don't have to try to avoid gaining skill levels in certain skills while trying desperately to get them in the right ones in order to make sure you don't end up completely hosed when you're stuck getting a five, a four and a freaking two.

I've heard about this and heard of guides and checklists and all manner of silliness to make sure you only get fives when you level. I never bothered with any of that and just played and gotten plenty of 2s and 3s in my score gains and... the game still plateaued quickly and I never felt like I was hurting for anything. The one time I felt outmatched was the first Oblivion Gate and the worthless NPCs against the armies of Daedra.

Aside from wanting a perfect set of scores, how do you get hosed?

Edit: I see endurance mentioned so, since that was the first score I capped (playing a fighter-centric character helped, I guess) maybe I was less "hosed" than if I capped Personality and left Endurance in the 60s.

Edited, Dec 12th 2011 7:12pm by Jophiel
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#1014 Dec 12 2011 at 7:25 PM Rating: Good
Ok, I just had one of those "this feels too real" moments. I found Bard's Leap and walked to the end of the plank. I'm usually in 3rd person, but wanted to jump in 1st person view. Wow, if you do this, don't look down. I felt my stomach knot up like I was a kid taking swim lessons jumping off the high dive.
____________________________
"Beyond poor, Beyond ostracized, Destined to be obscured" Black Nurse
#1015 Dec 12 2011 at 9:03 PM Rating: Decent
Keeper of the Shroud
*****
13,043 posts
Brokenwheel wrote:
Ok, I just had one of those "this feels too real" moments. I found Bard's Leap and walked to the end of the plank. I'm usually in 3rd person, but wanted to jump in 1st person view. Wow, if you do this, don't look down. I felt my stomach knot up like I was a kid taking swim lessons jumping off the high dive.


Best part about jumping off of there is the ghost you meet at the bottom that tells you his story.
#1016 Dec 12 2011 at 9:05 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
5,416 posts
Brokenwheel wrote:
Ok, I just had one of those "this feels too real" moments. I found Bard's Leap and walked to the end of the plank. I'm usually in 3rd person, but wanted to jump in 1st person view. Wow, if you do this, don't look down. I felt my stomach knot up like I was a kid taking swim lessons jumping off the high dive.


I've actually experience this in WoW of all games, too. And that's a cartoon-ish game in 3rd person.
____________________________
idiggory, King of Bards wrote:
I have a racist anus.

Steam: TuxedoFish
battle.net: Fishy #1649
GW2: Fishy.4129

#1017 Dec 12 2011 at 10:00 PM Rating: Good
Sage
****
5,684 posts
IDrownFish wrote:
Brokenwheel wrote:
Ok, I just had one of those "this feels too real" moments. I found Bard's Leap and walked to the end of the plank. I'm usually in 3rd person, but wanted to jump in 1st person view. Wow, if you do this, don't look down. I felt my stomach knot up like I was a kid taking swim lessons jumping off the high dive.
I've actually experience this in WoW of all games, too. And that's a cartoon-ish game in 3rd person.
I have no fear of heights in real life, but Portal has given me the feeling of vertigo a few times.
____________________________
Signature starts here.
#1018 Dec 12 2011 at 10:45 PM Rating: Decent
*****
11,576 posts
I'm more than plateaued in the sense that I have no more perks to take in order to play my character the way I want to play it. That doesn't mean I'm not having fun, however. I got a quest very, very early in the game to try and figure out a way to get some guy set free from a keep way the **** off in the NW part of the map and I finally got around to doing it tonight. I had just done the main story line quest to infiltrate the Thalmor embassy and was more than willing to take a trek off a bit to the west to kill more Thalmor. I expect more Thalmor justicar death squads in the not too distant future.

From a gameplay (specifically, combat mechanics) point of view, my character is OP as all hell. The fun for me now is seeing what interesting things the ragdoll physics system will cause my arrows to do to my victims. I made a bandit do a full sideways somersault with an arrow to the side of the head yesterday, and the day before I shot a skeleton who blew to pieces and I watched one of its hands fly spinning through the air in a massive arc. From a challenge perspective, I can't remember the last time I died. I actually came close at the Thalmor embassy tonight on my way through the outdoor area when a guard saw me and about 8 of them came after me, but that's because casters like to hide behind stuff and zap the sh*t out of you and it's nearly impossible to get a bead on them. Bosses die in one hit if I get a shot on them from sneak mode. Elder/ancient dragons die in 3-4 hits. And I'm okay with that. I'm not huge on the 'necessity' of immersion in RPG games, but being as powerful as I am actually helps with immersion. If I drive an arrow through the back of your skull, you're not going to get up and charge after me.

Running around doing main story quests, I found myself back in Riverwood where a poorly timed dragon attack had resulted in the death of the town's blacksmith a long, long time ago on this play through. And here he was, just lying there face down where he died, so I dragged him into the river and watched him float downstream.

But the best so far was yesterday when I came across an elder dragon. I've mentioned before how irritating it can be without the Dragonrend shout to get dragons out of the sky and stationary where they're easier to hit, but in this case there were some baddies on the ground that got the dragon's attention and I manged to get a couple of shots off from sneak before the dragon finished them off. At this point I had the dragon's full attention as it took flight and circled around, so I lined up a shot and when it straightened out for its flaming strafing run I put an arrow in its face. It wasn't dead but it was low enough on health to land...only it didn't land gracefully. It landed on its face and skidded a very substantial distance. I had to strafe out of the way to avoid it. What made it cool was that it wasn't just some fortuitous graphics glitch that made it 'look' like it was skidding on its face...dragons have explicit crash landing animations complete with dust and debris spraying out all around them as they skid along the ground.

The game is enormous. While you'll see repeated themes in various different dungeons, they're all adequately unique that you never feel like you're moving your way through another WoW-esque copy-pasta cave on your way to the boss that is always in the same place. I've explored a very large portion of the map and I'm still constantly coming across undiscovered caves and keeps and ruins any time I head out to do a quest. You've got your 'guild' quest arcs that so far have been entertaining enough to warrant doing, and of course of you've got the generic Radiant Story quests that involve a random objective in a location chosen at random. But what impresses me is the number of unique scripted quests I've come across. I did one quest out of the Blue Palace in Solitude to check out the 'strange lights' coming from Wolf Skull Cave. That was cool. Cave cave cave and then blam...opens up to this massive room with a broken underground keep and necromancers doing all kinds of horrible nasty things, complete with voice-over dialogue of the event. I had a feeling based on how the event ended that it wasn't over and sure enough, a few hours of playtime later and courier runs up to me in Whiterun and gives me a message from the Blue Palace asking me to come back because sh*t just got real. I just didn't expect that kind of scripted quest outside of the main arcs.

And lastly, there's all the memes. I've thus far come across 3 sweet rolls in my adventures. I'm saving them up so that one day I can run around and throw them at the knees of the Whiterun guards who talk about how they used to be adventurers...

I'm going to try and finish up this character's time in Skyrim (until DLC, of course) so that I can focus on Bastion and Overlord over my xmas holidays, but I can safely say I haven't been so entertained by a standalone RPG since DA:O.

Edited, Dec 12th 2011 8:46pm by Aurelius
#1019 Dec 12 2011 at 11:00 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
5,159 posts
Jophiel wrote:
I never bothered with any of that and just played and gotten plenty of 2s and 3s in my score gains and... the game still plateaued quickly and I never felt like I was hurting for anything. The one time I felt outmatched was the first Oblivion Gate and the worthless NPCs against the armies of Daedra.

Sounds like you could use some mods. There's very good ones which add a number of new enemies, which was one of my big issues - once you reach level 25 or so, you're just fighting scamps and atronachs and bears and trolls and all the exact same things over and over, which gets really boring, really fast. Similarly, I believe there's mods to help with the balance issues which Bethesda never got around to fixing (read: all of them). I hear there's one mod that's really highly recommended which fixes hundreds of little bugs in the game, but I've never tried it myself.
#1020 Dec 12 2011 at 11:04 PM Rating: Good
***
1,877 posts
Well I got hit with another odd bug. While diving down into the Wolf Queen's catacombs and picking away at various mobs I saw what looked like one of those undead vikings against the wall. I proceed to bury an arrow between its eyes and nothing happened. "Well bummer time to go loot my arrow" I thought right as I step in the trap and fire jets shoot up around me. "Son of a... let me try that again..." I said to myself as I did it roughly 4 times. After the 4th I tried to hop on the table next to the trap and reach across and, no suprise here, the trap sprung. All the sudden I fell through the map (I guess the flame pushed me through the wall) and I am thinking I am going to have to reload a previous save. Nope, the game dumped me farther into her catacomb, just a short distance from a vampire who somehow was oblivious to the loud 'thunk' my character made as my shins touched my lungs.

The Elder Scrolls games have always been plagued with odd bugs and things you can do to completely break the challenge. I would have to say though that this is the best they have done so far though.
____________________________
#swaggerjacker
#1021 Dec 12 2011 at 11:50 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Majivo wrote:
Sounds like you could use some mods.

Possible. Except I don't know how any will affect my current game and I'm not enthusiastic about starting over.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#1022 Dec 13 2011 at 12:10 AM Rating: Decent
*****
11,576 posts
Criminy wrote:
Well I got hit with another odd bug. While diving down into the Wolf Queen's catacombs and picking away at various mobs I saw what looked like one of those undead vikings against the wall. I proceed to bury an arrow between its eyes and nothing happened. "Well bummer time to go loot my arrow" I thought right as I step in the trap and fire jets shoot up around me. "Son of a... let me try that again..." I said to myself as I did it roughly 4 times. After the 4th I tried to hop on the table next to the trap and reach across and, no suprise here, the trap sprung. All the sudden I fell through the map (I guess the flame pushed me through the wall) and I am thinking I am going to have to reload a previous save. Nope, the game dumped me farther into her catacomb, just a short distance from a vampire who somehow was oblivious to the loud 'thunk' my character made as my shins touched my lungs.

The Elder Scrolls games have always been plagued with odd bugs and things you can do to completely break the challenge. I would have to say though that this is the best they have done so far though.


I fell through the world once over this past weekend. Sadly, I don't recall where it happened and don't even remember where it punted me back to but it was some distance away as I recall. I know the exact spot you're referring to, however, as I was just in that dungeon and triggered the trap accidentally with a draugr corpse. I had to grab it by the foot and drag it off the pressure plate to see what was on the wall, but I've got the Sneak perk that allows me to stand on pressure plates without triggering them.
#1023 Dec 13 2011 at 1:41 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
****
4,315 posts
My first time playing i thought my PS3 locked up during the dialogue at the beginning of the game. I waited it out a couple of minutes and it continued. Problem I have, and maybe I am missing something, but I find this game alot more difficult than the previous games. I have the same class I used on Morrowind and Oblivion which is basically light armor/Bow/stealth/melee/ with a tad bit of restoration/destruction magic. IT worked great in Morrowind and Oblivion. Heck with Oblivion I had the achievements maxed on my Xbox 360 minus Shivering Isles. Skyrim however I am struggling to stay alive. Just following the main quest requires you to go through areas where there are enemies that can kill you in 1 to 4 hits. The giants can kill me in 1 hit and even trying to climb the mountain I struggled to get past the tiger as it could kill me in 4 hits. With Oblivoin I kept the difficulty in the middle and the challenge was right where I liked it. With Skyrim I have it set on the lowest setting and I either 1 shot stuff or I die it seems like. What is annoying I have even spent some time "grinding" skills like Light Armor/block/melee on easy stuff trying to not be such a wimp. Have some leveling points put in light armor to take less damage.

I don't like the way shortcuts worked, Oblivion had a much better method. Far as the game layout, quests, story I think its great. I love the layout of the land and the main quest seems interesting enough. Tradeskills are neat and the side quests are alot of fun. I just wish they would have kept the same combat/leveling/difficulty that the previous games had. If it don't get any better I foresee this game being sold off soon. What ever happened to "If its not broke don't fix it"?

____________________________
Hi
#1024 Dec 13 2011 at 2:51 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,428 posts
Best line in the game.

Bandit NPC: Die already so I can have your stuff.


I've just run into my first **** bug. I'm 53 and have just decided to take sides in the Stormcloak/Imperial fight. Unfortunately I've been to the fort the Imperials send you to in order to start that quest line. When I was up there I started exploring around there and was attacked by the bandits outside, so I killed the ones outside, but never went in. However, since the bandits on the outside are now respawns, the quest won't update. No Imperial questline for me.
#1025 Dec 13 2011 at 2:59 AM Rating: Decent
It's Just a Flesh Wound
******
22,688 posts
I'm sneak/boy/melee/light with no magics and I don't have any trouble staying alive or killing things.. <.< Maybe you're doinitrong?
____________________________
Dear people I don't like: 凸(●´―`●)凸
#1026 Dec 13 2011 at 3:08 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
******
27,317 posts
Turin wrote:
xypin wrote:
While Skyrim can also reach a plateau, the game also gives you reasons to keep exploring (shouts, quests) and since you're much more specialized in Skyrim, starting a new character can be a completely new experience all the way up to lv50.


Maybe up to level 30. Beyond that you end up running of perks to take and have to branch out a bit. I'm level 66 right now and I'm equally effective using Archery, Destruction Magic, and One Handed damage. I'm decent with Conjuration and Two Handed as well. On top of that I've capped and perked Smithing, Enchanting, Light Armor, and some Block. While I haven't put much in the way of perks into Sneak (just the extra damage perks), it's at level 96 and mobs will literally bump right into me in a dark room and still not detect me.
As of level 36, I still haven't run out of the perks I really really want as part of my primary vision for the character. I still have a few to go in enchanting, 1h and Heavy Armor before I'll feel like I'm really branching out.

Jophiel wrote:
Edit: I see endurance mentioned so, since that was the first score I capped (playing a fighter-centric character helped, I guess) maybe I was less "hosed" than if I capped Personality and left Endurance in the 60s.
It's possible. All I know is that getting multiple twos or threes always left me feeling a bit weaker.
____________________________
Someone on another forum wrote:
Wow, you've got an awesome writing style.! I really dig the narrator's back story, humor, sarcasm, and the plethora of pop culture references. Altogether a refreshingly different RotR journal (not that I don't like the more traditional ones, mind you).

#1027 Dec 13 2011 at 7:32 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
4,297 posts
Jophiel wrote:
Majivo wrote:
Sounds like you could use some mods.

Possible. Except I don't know how any will affect my current game and I'm not enthusiastic about starting over.

after you finish (if) the main quest, i highly recommend starting a new one to run through the dark brotherhood and thieve's guild quest lines. they're a lot more funner.

as far as everything else you've mentioned, i'm squarely in the camp of "omfg everything is so much better" in skyrim.

Edited, Dec 13th 2011 8:35am by axhed
#1028 Dec 13 2011 at 8:31 AM Rating: Good
Ghost in the Machine
Avatar
******
35,984 posts
Funner.

Huh, it's actually a word. I always thought it was 'more fun' or 'funnier', but apparently you can combine them and be 'more funner'.
____________________________
Please "talk up" if your comprehension white-shifts. I will use simple-happy language-words to help you understand.
#1029 Dec 13 2011 at 9:21 AM Rating: Good
***
1,877 posts
Fronglo wrote:
My first time playing i thought my PS3 locked up during the dialogue at the beginning of the game. I waited it out a couple of minutes and it continued. Problem I have, and maybe I am missing something, but I find this game alot more difficult than the previous games. I have the same class I used on Morrowind and Oblivion which is basically light armor/Bow/stealth/melee/ with a tad bit of restoration/destruction magic. IT worked great in Morrowind and Oblivion. Heck with Oblivion I had the achievements maxed on my Xbox 360 minus Shivering Isles. Skyrim however I am struggling to stay alive. Just following the main quest requires you to go through areas where there are enemies that can kill you in 1 to 4 hits. The giants can kill me in 1 hit and even trying to climb the mountain I struggled to get past the tiger as it could kill me in 4 hits. With Oblivoin I kept the difficulty in the middle and the challenge was right where I liked it. With Skyrim I have it set on the lowest setting and I either 1 shot stuff or I die it seems like. What is annoying I have even spent some time "grinding" skills like Light Armor/block/melee on easy stuff trying to not be such a wimp. Have some leveling points put in light armor to take less damage.


My current character (which I find quite enjoyable) is a bow/light armor/stealth type character. I also murder things that are not horribly stronger than me. I currently have a falmer bow on my level 16 character and it does reasonable damage. Ideally you will want to get the jump on a mob, not the other way around. I know I book it when a bear comes over to give me a hug. Also if you are in a dungeon and you shoot a guy from far away you can back track, while still in stealth, and hide around a corner. He/she will look for you a bit then get bored and go back to standing where he/she was. Rinse and repeat until the person you want to kill is dead.
____________________________
#swaggerjacker
#1030 Dec 13 2011 at 9:28 AM Rating: Good
Ghost in the Machine
Avatar
******
35,984 posts
Alternatively, just grab a sword and skewer the ones that don't buckle when they take an arrow in the... face.
____________________________
Please "talk up" if your comprehension white-shifts. I will use simple-happy language-words to help you understand.
#1031 Dec 13 2011 at 11:42 AM Rating: Good
***
1,603 posts
I have a question for those that have also played Morrowind. What is the experience like compared to Oblivion and Skyrim? I consider buying Morrowind on Steam but am not sure how good the game would be after the later 2.
#1032 Dec 13 2011 at 12:02 PM Rating: Excellent
***
1,877 posts
Skyrim > Morrowind > Oblivion

Morrowind is an awesome game. That said there are some annoyances that you will quickly notice.

1. It is very rare that you will hear someone talk. Heck the only talking I heard outside of random npcs saying a quick one liner as you pass, do something stupid, or kill them is the deadric quests when they speak to you. Which means you will be doing a lot of reading.

2. Combat is wonky. If you choose to pick up a melee style of fighting be prepared to be swinging at mobs for quite a while until you build up your skill in said weapon type. Oh and there are a ton of various weapon types you can level. Maces, swords, axes all come in one and two handed versions. Swords also come in short and long blade. Daggers, polearms, staves, etc...

3. The biggest pet peeve of mine, mainly due to playing it on the console, is the **** journal. But since you are picking it up on Steam you can easily mod that out and get a good one. Or if you pick up Bloodmoon expansion with it you can use the updated one.

That said if you do start playing it and want to find a vendor that has a good chunk of change go to Caldera and go in the three story Orc house, (I don't quite remember the name) Ghorak Manor. On the second floor there is a scamp that will buy any weapons, armor, drinks you have at face value. Really nice when you run across a deadric dai-katana and want to pawn it off (the thing goes for 120000g). You will just have to wait a day for his gold to restock.

PS - If you drop something it tends to stay where you dropped it at. I use either the mage or fighters guild halls in Balmora as my temporary storage (alter area and bedroom area downstairs respectfully) until I get around to building my base.

PPS - Regardless what fighting style you pick make sure to get levitate. That is all I'm going to say about that.Smiley: tongue

Edit: Figured out the name of the Orc's house in Caldera.

Edited, Dec 13th 2011 1:08pm by Criminy
____________________________
#swaggerjacker
#1033 Dec 13 2011 at 12:42 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
****
4,315 posts
Isn't there a crab somewhere in Morrowind that has the most money of any merchant in the game to buy/sell with?

My only problem with Morrowind was the Quest Journal. HAve to be careful on the main quest I screwed it up by attacking one of those diseased people the first time and had to start all over again.
____________________________
Hi
#1034 Dec 13 2011 at 1:06 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
****
4,297 posts
the morrowind goty was included with a pc i bought in early 2003. it looked pretty cool (with a tweaked view distance) but i did the proverbial "go one way, get destroyed by a bandit; go the other way, get destroyed by a sewer rat" beginning. and that was my morrowind experience. if i ever catch it on sale again i'll definitely give it another go.
#1035 Dec 13 2011 at 1:17 PM Rating: Good
***
1,603 posts
Criminy wrote:
A bunch of info
Thanks. You've convinced me to pick it up. It's the GotYE so it should have the better journal.
axhed wrote:
if i ever catch it on sale again i'll definitely give it another go.
It's $19.99 on Steam unless you were planning to catch it even lower.
#1036 Dec 13 2011 at 3:48 PM Rating: Good
***
1,877 posts
fronglo wrote:
Isn't there a crab somewhere in Morrowind that has the most money of any merchant in the game to buy/sell with?

My only problem with Morrowind was the Quest Journal. HAve to be careful on the main quest I screwed it up by attacking one of those diseased people the first time and had to start all over again.


I know there is a mudcrab that sells booze. All I can remember is that the scamp I mentioned has 5000g, don't remember how much the mudcrab has. I might fire the game up later and check him out to verify.
____________________________
#swaggerjacker
#1037 Dec 13 2011 at 4:11 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
4,297 posts
i'll be waiting for it to hit single digits :) between gog.com and steam, i've got a ridiculous amount of **** i've paid for but haven't installed yet.
#1038 Dec 13 2011 at 7:07 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
5,159 posts
Jophiel wrote:
Majivo wrote:
Sounds like you could use some mods.

Possible. Except I don't know how any will affect my current game and I'm not enthusiastic about starting over.

None of them should affect it at all as far as quest status goes, except for the obvious part where you might find yourself rather less powerful than before and be in a bit of a bind.
#1039 Dec 13 2011 at 7:13 PM Rating: Good
Sage
****
5,684 posts
Installing/loading mods in most cases will not cause problems with saved games. The only problems I have occasionally run into involve standing in the middle of where a mod would affect the game- but usually such mods come with instructions about saving in a small shack in the middle of nowhere so that you won't have problems.

Some of the "new adventure" mods that completely change the game recommend starting over simply because you'll be missing out otherwise, but it's far from necessary.
____________________________
Signature starts here.
#1040 Dec 13 2011 at 9:24 PM Rating: Decent
*****
11,576 posts
fronglo wrote:
Skyrim however I am struggling to stay alive. Just following the main quest requires you to go through areas where there are enemies that can kill you in 1 to 4 hits. The giants can kill me in 1 hit and even trying to climb the mountain I struggled to get past the tiger as it could kill me in 4 hits. With Oblivoin I kept the difficulty in the middle and the challenge was right where I liked it. With Skyrim I have it set on the lowest setting and I either 1 shot stuff or I die it seems like. What is annoying I have even spent some time "grinding" skills like Light Armor/block/melee on easy stuff trying to not be such a wimp. Have some leveling points put in light armor to take less damage.


Try not to spread yourself too thin. The real power comes from blacksmithing/enchanting/alchemy. If you use those to their fullest potential (even without glitches) you can become insanely powerful. If you ignore them, you'll be facing an uphill battle. There's also a limit to the number of perks you can get and the true strength of any skill category comes from the perks. You can gain skill in whatever categories you want (and even some that you don't just by using them because it makes sense or seems like a good idea at the time) but you'll never really be great with those skills unless you've got the perk points to spend. For me, Sneak would be my first choice to invest points into, since it will allow you to get multiple shots off on a target before they see you.

Also, a sneak-y trick is to use your arrows to distract your target by intentionally shooting past them at an object (or even a wall)behind them. As long as they haven't detected you, they'll turn around and go to the arrow's point of impact to investigate which not only gives you more distance to get clean shots on target, but also gives them a predictable travel path making it easier to lead them and make each shot count.
#1041 Dec 13 2011 at 11:14 PM Rating: Good
***
1,877 posts
Again slightly off topic but I did a bit of research concerning the mudcrab and scamp in Morrowind. Apparently the mudcrab merchant has the highest amount of available money but is a bit out of the way and is rather picky on what it will want to buy. The creeper merchant has only half the mudcrabs available gold, 5k to be precise, but accepts a bit more variety in loot and is really easy to get to.

Back on topic I am almost 19 on my rogue. I wish I brought Dawnbreaker with me to fight the Wolf Queen, even with a low one handed skill level the massive damage I would have done to all those undead would have been neat to watch.

I was running along and saw a wall-o-words off in the distance so I made my way there. As I approached I noticed a dragon sitting on it so I took an arrow and buried it in its thigh. As it took off I ran to some rocks near the stone. The dragon landed right behind me so I ran a few steps, yelled at it for startling me, then ran closer to the wall to get some distance. As I approached the wall I saw what looked like a lich spawn and I proceeded to get spanked horribly. After a quick reload and dragging the dragon away from the wall I went to investigate. It was a named mob, Krosis, and he sure did take a while to kill without eating his nasty fireballs. On the bright side I can throw my voice so time to have fun with that. Smiley: grin
____________________________
#swaggerjacker
#1042 Dec 14 2011 at 1:06 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
******
27,317 posts
Criminy wrote:
I was running along and saw a wall-o-words off in the distance so I made my way there. As I approached I noticed a dragon sitting on it so I took an arrow and buried it in its thigh. As it took off I ran to some rocks near the stone. The dragon landed right behind me so I ran a few steps, yelled at it for startling me, then ran closer to the wall to get some distance. As I approached the wall I saw what looked like a lich spawn and I proceeded to get spanked horribly. After a quick reload and dragging the dragon away from the wall I went to investigate. It was a named mob, Krosis, and he sure did take a while to kill without eating his nasty fireballs. On the bright side I can throw my voice so time to have fun with that. Smiley: grin

There are seven(?) others like him. Collect all their masks(plus the plain wooden one) for the ability to make another awesome one that has some interesting unique effects.
____________________________
Someone on another forum wrote:
Wow, you've got an awesome writing style.! I really dig the narrator's back story, humor, sarcasm, and the plethora of pop culture references. Altogether a refreshingly different RotR journal (not that I don't like the more traditional ones, mind you).

#1043 Dec 14 2011 at 2:19 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,301 posts
So I tried a new character on Master difficulty.

Holy crap.

Pretty much decided I had to go rogue when I saw how little damage I was actually doing a swing. Physical skill ups take a bit longer to go up, but everything else goes up as normal, leading me to suspect that I'm actually doing only a small fraction of the damage I would be doing on Adept (Normal). I'm not going to survive trying to skill up armor skills the natural way, that's for sure!
#1044 Dec 14 2011 at 11:52 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
11,912 posts
Dragons srsly love cheese.
____________________________
"Observe what happens when you force a man to change"
Just as Planned.
#1045 Dec 14 2011 at 11:57 AM Rating: Excellent
******
43,397 posts
How to be a **** badass viking.

Rated PG-13, for adult language.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#1046 Dec 14 2011 at 12:39 PM Rating: Good
***
3,272 posts
This video makes me want to make a **** BADASS VIKING!!!
____________________________

(V)(;,,;)(V) Why not Zoidberg?
#1047 Dec 14 2011 at 3:00 PM Rating: Good
Ghost in the Machine
Avatar
******
35,984 posts
I'm pretty sure that amount of swearing would earn the video more than PG-13.

Also, it's been posted in this thread before.
____________________________
Please "talk up" if your comprehension white-shifts. I will use simple-happy language-words to help you understand.
#1048 Dec 14 2011 at 3:04 PM Rating: Good
******
43,397 posts
Maybe he should have embedded it. Smiley: motz

Sorry DG.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#1049 Dec 14 2011 at 3:40 PM Rating: Decent
Ghost in the Machine
Avatar
******
35,984 posts
Maybe you should click links more! Smiley: mad
____________________________
Please "talk up" if your comprehension white-shifts. I will use simple-happy language-words to help you understand.
#1050 Dec 14 2011 at 4:46 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
19,626 posts
Too lazy.
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#1051 Dec 15 2011 at 6:40 PM Rating: Good
Ghost in the Machine
Avatar
******
35,984 posts
The auto-save, or lack thereof, is bugging the **** out of me. I've set it to auto-save every 5 minutes, but it only does so if I enter a menu. Sometimes I can play for 15-20 minutes and the **** thing doesn't save.

Loaded up my last save which was in the local jarl's room in Riften. Robbed the jarl of her various gems, leveled up smithing and began the Thieves Guild quest. Ran halfway across the map to kill a bandit leader near some tower. Collected various valuables from that place. Ran into a nearby dungeon, spent a good ten minutes plowing through it and the undead there. Found the boss, he disarmed me, I ran to melee range to stab him with my sword and next thing I know I'm dead. 250 -> 0 health in one hit.

I load up my last save and find myself standing in the jarl's room...

/wrist
____________________________
Please "talk up" if your comprehension white-shifts. I will use simple-happy language-words to help you understand.
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 53 All times are in CDT
Drulian, Jophiel, MJ12, Anonymous Guests (50)