Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Dark SoulsFollow

#302 Oct 31 2011 at 9:10 PM Rating: Good
*****
10,519 posts
Thanks. So for now I should focus on beating the boss in the parish and moving on before I get much higher level? I still need to decide if I want to try to get behind that dragon or not...
____________________________
◕ ‿‿ ◕
#303 Oct 31 2011 at 10:50 PM Rating: Good
Unforkgettable
*****
13,251 posts
You can really do whatever you want. It will be harder to find other players to help, but many bosses have NPC helpers outside them that you can summon. You don't /need/ summons to kill bosses.
____________________________
Banh
#304 Nov 01 2011 at 1:25 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
******
27,602 posts
Monsieur Spoonless wrote:
I just killed the dude who kills the Firekeeper at Firelink. Sure, I'll miss out on the whole quest stuff, but getting that ring so early has really been awesome. Combined with Havel's Ring, I can wear whatever I want and still be under 50% burden.
I've been reading about a bug related to him that is potentially bricking systems. If you kill him in the cage where you find him, the game keeps saving over and over, leading to a potential overheat issue.
____________________________
Someone on another forum wrote:
Wow, you've got an awesome writing style.! I really dig the narrator's back story, humor, sarcasm, and the plethora of pop culture references. Altogether a refreshingly different RotR journal (not that I don't like the more traditional ones, mind you).

#305 Nov 01 2011 at 7:49 AM Rating: Good
Official Shrubbery Waterer
*****
14,063 posts
The One and Only Poldaran wrote:
Monsieur Spoonless wrote:
I just killed the dude who kills the Firekeeper at Firelink. Sure, I'll miss out on the whole quest stuff, but getting that ring so early has really been awesome. Combined with Havel's Ring, I can wear whatever I want and still be under 50% burden.
I've been reading about a bug related to him that is potentially bricking systems. If you kill him in the cage where you find him, the game keeps saving over and over, leading to a potential overheat issue.

Can't you just choose not to let him out?
____________________________
Almalieque wrote:
I'm biased against statistics

#306 Nov 01 2011 at 8:16 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,162 posts
If you don't let him out, he'll still end up at Firelink Shrine after you defeat the gargoyles.
#307 Nov 01 2011 at 8:29 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
******
27,602 posts
Demea wrote:
The One and Only Poldaran wrote:
Monsieur Spoonless wrote:
I just killed the dude who kills the Firekeeper at Firelink. Sure, I'll miss out on the whole quest stuff, but getting that ring so early has really been awesome. Combined with Havel's Ring, I can wear whatever I want and still be under 50% burden.
I've been reading about a bug related to him that is potentially bricking systems. If you kill him in the cage where you find him, the game keeps saving over and over, leading to a potential overheat issue.

Can't you just choose not to let him out?


feelz wrote:
If you don't let him out, he'll still end up at Firelink Shrine after you defeat the gargoyles.
You can still kill him after he goes to Firelink without the bug occurring. Just don't kill him in his cell.
____________________________
Someone on another forum wrote:
Wow, you've got an awesome writing style.! I really dig the narrator's back story, humor, sarcasm, and the plethora of pop culture references. Altogether a refreshingly different RotR journal (not that I don't like the more traditional ones, mind you).

#308 Nov 01 2011 at 11:19 AM Rating: Good
Unforkgettable
*****
13,251 posts
I killed him after he got to Firelink. He was super easy; you just have to be far enough away that the shotels don't hook around your shield. If you really want to, you can goad him into rolling himself off the edge.

Doing this playthrough without the Drake Sword was pretty interesting. I got it, just decided not to use it. Also, once you know the dragon's patterns, I found it way less time-consuming to shoot it and get it to land on the bridge and just cut its tail off there.

I like spoiler tags.
____________________________
Banh
#309 Nov 01 2011 at 12:39 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,162 posts
Quote:
I like spoiler tags.


Me too!
#310 Nov 01 2011 at 1:03 PM Rating: Good
*****
10,519 posts
feelz wrote:
Quote:
I like spoiler tags.


Me too!


I don't :(.
____________________________
◕ ‿‿ ◕
#311 Nov 02 2011 at 3:47 AM Rating: Good
*****
16,958 posts
lol, I made a new character, for no real reason.

Got my Lv. 16 Warrior to Lv. 23 by killing the Stray Demon Ver. 2
____________________________
MyAnimeList FFXIV Krystal Spoonless
#312 Nov 02 2011 at 6:04 AM Rating: Good
*****
16,958 posts
The One and Only Poldaran wrote:
Monsieur Spoonless wrote:
I just killed the dude who kills the Firekeeper at Firelink. Sure, I'll miss out on the whole quest stuff, but getting that ring so early has really been awesome. Combined with Havel's Ring, I can wear whatever I want and still be under 50% burden.
I've been reading about a bug related to him that is potentially bricking systems. If you kill him in the cage where you find him, the game keeps saving over and over, leading to a potential overheat issue.
Had this happen to me just now, was worried until I managed to go back and kill him.

I've heard of it not stopping even after they've killed Lautrec, though.
____________________________
MyAnimeList FFXIV Krystal Spoonless
#313 Nov 02 2011 at 6:11 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
******
27,602 posts
Kirby the Eccentric wrote:
The One and Only Poldaran wrote:
Monsieur Spoonless wrote:
I just killed the dude who kills the Firekeeper at Firelink. Sure, I'll miss out on the whole quest stuff, but getting that ring so early has really been awesome. Combined with Havel's Ring, I can wear whatever I want and still be under 50% burden.
I've been reading about a bug related to him that is potentially bricking systems. If you kill him in the cage where you find him, the game keeps saving over and over, leading to a potential overheat issue.
Had this happen to me just now, was worried until I managed to go back and kill him.

I've heard of it not stopping even after they've killed Lautrec, though.
Yeah, some people can manage to get it to stop by finishing him off, but others have to shut down their system and end up with their save file corrupted to avoid frying the hard drive.
____________________________
Someone on another forum wrote:
Wow, you've got an awesome writing style.! I really dig the narrator's back story, humor, sarcasm, and the plethora of pop culture references. Altogether a refreshingly different RotR journal (not that I don't like the more traditional ones, mind you).

#314 Nov 02 2011 at 7:45 AM Rating: Good
Unforkgettable
*****
13,251 posts
I'm at 30 now, workin' on Sen's. It is not a place to go when you're tired from a long day. Smiley: lol My bloodstain is sitting there with 180k souls and 20 humanity. I think I'm going to reverse hollowing and see if I can't get a couple phantoms to help me run through.
____________________________
Banh
#315 Nov 02 2011 at 9:24 AM Rating: Excellent
Unforkgettable
*****
13,251 posts
Patch Notes, taken from r/darksouls (spoilered due to length):

Quote:
Translated by Brett (twitch.tv/thebrett)
Taken from in-game testing / jp wiki notes (http://w.livedoor.jp/project_dark)

Magic Changes:
Pyro Glove nerfed from 270 to 230.
You can see resonance signs now.
Vow of Silence range increased.
Sorcery spell damage as a whole was slightly buffed, but Homing Soul Mass and other pursuit style spells were nerfed.
Magic Shield duration lowered to ~11 seconds.
Strong Magic Shield duration lowered to ~11 seconds. Invincibility removed. Effect on Stamina drastically reduced.
Tranquil Walk of Peace and other Slow duration reduced to ~10 secs. Effect supposedly changed from 100% encumberance to 50%. Rolling possible if your equip burden is lowered. Slowness is similar to swamp effect.
Iron Flesh effectiveness nerfed.


Status Changes:
Base Equipment Burden increased (~6-10 points)
Humanity Item drop rate increased from 10 to 210
Medium roll recovery faster? (unclear and unconfirmed)
Defensive bonuses gained via Humanity reduced. Other defensive bonuses remain unchanged.
Item discovery gained via Humanity improved. Capped at 20.

Equipment Changes:
Reported some weapon scaling gets improved at higher normal upgrades (+15 uchi dex scaling goes to A)
Some scaling reported as changing from A to S with higher upgrades
Normal upgrade path buffed by ~10%
Lightning path nerfed slightly (~5%)

Specific Gear Changes:
Grant scaling changed to Strength:B and Faith:A
Gold-hemmed nerfed, still can't be upgraded.
Dust skirt nerfed hard (streamlined to match the other pieces).
Silver Knights, Sun, Hollow Soldier's Shield and other medium shield stability nerfed to ~70 at max upgrades to improve Great Shield viability.
Crystal Ring Shield scaling drastically nerfed. Does around ~200 +-50
Dragon Greatsword buffed from 360 to 390.
Silver Knight's Sword lightning effect removed. Now enchantable.

Combat Changes:
Lock-on acquisition range increased.
Lock-on changing/switching got easier (more responsive).

Ring of Fog users can now be locked on.

PVE Changes:
Overall increase in souls gained (~2-2.5 times more)
Damage reduced on some mobs?
HP lowered on some mobs?
Reduced acquisition range on normal enemies.
Supposedly reduced poise on some enemies.
Bosses drop Humanity and Homeward Bones
Ghosts and Skeletons give souls now.
Twinkling Titanite drop rate improved.
Pyromancers in Catacombs drop Skull Lanterns.
Darkwraiths in New Londo drop Dark Hand.

Online Changes:
You can see resonance signs.
Some invasion restrictions possibly changed? Darkwraith upperlimit confirmed as unchanged.
Amount of souls the Master of the game gains changed.
Cracked Eye Orbs no longer get consumed on failure. Confirmed
You can hit Select to rate messages.

Covenant Changes:
Covenant Material drop rate improved.
Lowered requirements for Sunbro covenenant (requirements moved from 50 to 25. 3/4 assists should do the trick)


Other Changes:
Official Guide nerfed.
Forest Hunter NPC farming remains unchanged.
Dark Anor Londo NPC farming remains unchanged.

Merchant stock updates:
Male Undead Merchant: Also sells bottomless box
Female Undead Merchant: Sells Arrows / Crossbolts
Andrei: Sells Arrows / Crossbolts
Domnhal of Xena: Sells Arrows / Crossbolts, Master Key (5000)
Giant Blacksmith (Fapsmith): Sells Arrows / Crossbolts, Small Titanite Shards, Large Tit Shards, Twinkling (8000 per, inf amount), Green Shards, Repair box, upgrade boxes
Vamos: Arrows / Crossbolts, Small Tit, Large tit, Repair box / upgrade boxes
Inglwood: Sells Transient Curses

Fixes:
Fixed some freeze issues
Lvl up screen displays souls needed properly now
Dragon-head glitch, snuggly, and magic shield glitches fixed.
Fixed a bug where your inputs come out 1 second later.
Fixed a bug where the second solaire event wont progress.
Fixed a bug where feeding frampt a titanite stone then going over 99 resulted in having zero.
Fixed some specific map areas where you'd get stuck or be unable to progress.
Changed some english subtitles on the overseas port.
____________________________
Banh
#316 Nov 02 2011 at 9:39 AM Rating: Good
Official Shrubbery Waterer
*****
14,063 posts
Hmm, some interesting changes in there, especially these ones:
Quote:
Iron Flesh effectiveness nerfed.
Humanity Item drop rate increased from 10 to 210
Ring of Fog users can now be locked on.
Cracked Eye Orbs no longer get consumed on failure.
Fixed a bug where your inputs come out 1 second later.

To me, the last one is the most crucial. Nothing is more frustrating than rolling away from an attack and hitting your Estus Flask while the enemy recovers, only to have the game pause and register the action a second later leading to your gruesome death.
____________________________
Almalieque wrote:
I'm biased against statistics

#317 Nov 02 2011 at 9:44 AM Rating: Good
Unforkgettable
*****
13,251 posts
With the RoF nerf and increased humanity droprate (that 210 has to be a misprint), I'll probably go human more often, and not hide behind the Way of the White.

Gold-hemmed nerf was to be expected, I guess. Maybe I'll feel like upgrading a different set now (though I did like the look at times).

Iron Flesh nerf was probably needed, but I did enjoy just facetanking bosses for people I was helping. Smiley: lol

Overall, I'm really impressed with the range of fixes in the game. It's not really a terribly long time after release for the patch to be released. Yes, they probably could have hotfixed some of the more glaring issues, but I'm pretty happy with the response time.

Edited, Nov 2nd 2011 11:48am by Spoonless
____________________________
Banh
#318 Nov 02 2011 at 10:23 AM Rating: Good
*****
10,519 posts
I feel like I might have asked this already, but what are the benefits of going human besides kindling / being able to summon people?
____________________________
◕ ‿‿ ◕
#319 Nov 02 2011 at 10:27 AM Rating: Good
****
6,470 posts
Vataro wrote:
I feel like I might have asked this already, but what are the benefits of going human besides kindling / being able to summon people?


I could be wrong, but I think you get better drop rates...
____________________________
Latest Articles:
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine Review

Follow me on Twitter!
#320 Nov 02 2011 at 10:37 AM Rating: Good
Official Shrubbery Waterer
*****
14,063 posts
Eske Esquire wrote:
Vataro wrote:
I feel like I might have asked this already, but what are the benefits of going human besides kindling / being able to summon people?


I could be wrong, but I think you get better drop rates...

Kindling, summoning NPCs and other players, better drop rates, better resistances, and other players can invade you.

You might not consider the last one a "benefit", but I rather enjoy the occasional invader; I've yet to lose to an invader yet, and the free souls/humanity are great.
____________________________
Almalieque wrote:
I'm biased against statistics

#321 Nov 02 2011 at 10:53 AM Rating: Good
****
6,470 posts
Demea wrote:
Eske Esquire wrote:
Vataro wrote:
I feel like I might have asked this already, but what are the benefits of going human besides kindling / being able to summon people?


I could be wrong, but I think you get better drop rates...

Kindling, summoning NPCs and other players, better drop rates, better resistances, and other players can invade you.

You might not consider the last one a "benefit", but I rather enjoy the occasional invader; I've yet to lose to an invader yet, and the free souls/humanity are great.


I'm not very interested in getting invaded, myself. Now that I have other games satisfying the PVP side of things, I kind of want to just be left alone to progress in Dark Souls. Perhaps I'll feel differently after I successfully kill an invader, though. Right now I'm still just 0-1. I'd play offline, but the soapstone advice has been proving super helpful since I loathe using FAQs.

I joined the Way of White covenant, or whatever its called. Doesn't that do something about invaders? Like, make them less likely or something?

Edited, Nov 2nd 2011 12:54pm by Eske
____________________________
Latest Articles:
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine Review

Follow me on Twitter!
#322 Nov 02 2011 at 11:28 AM Rating: Good
Official Shrubbery Waterer
*****
14,063 posts
Eske Esquire wrote:
I joined the Way of White covenant, or whatever its called. Doesn't that do something about invaders? Like, make them less likely or something?

http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Way+of+White
Quote:
Players report that joining this covenant can help reduce the amount of invaders invading into your game.

Looks like that's the consensus.
____________________________
Almalieque wrote:
I'm biased against statistics

#323 Nov 02 2011 at 11:39 AM Rating: Good
****
6,470 posts
Demea wrote:
Quote:
Players report that joining this covenant can help reduce the amount of invaders invading into your game.

Looks like that's the consensus.


Ah, cool. Thanks.

Edited, Nov 2nd 2011 1:40pm by Eske
____________________________
Latest Articles:
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine Review

Follow me on Twitter!
#324 Nov 03 2011 at 12:34 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
******
27,602 posts
Demea wrote:
Looks like that's the consensus.
Whether it's true or instead more on the level of "Onyxia deep breathes more when..." is still debatable.
____________________________
Someone on another forum wrote:
Wow, you've got an awesome writing style.! I really dig the narrator's back story, humor, sarcasm, and the plethora of pop culture references. Altogether a refreshingly different RotR journal (not that I don't like the more traditional ones, mind you).

#325 Nov 03 2011 at 8:35 AM Rating: Good
Unforkgettable
*****
13,251 posts
I know it's anecdotal and all, but on my 2nd character, I never joined WotW and I get invaded a lot when I'm human. On my first, it was a pretty rare occasion.
____________________________
Banh
#326 Nov 03 2011 at 11:30 AM Rating: Good
*****
10,519 posts
What's a good weapon to start upgrading if I'm focusing on str?
____________________________
◕ ‿‿ ◕
#327 Nov 03 2011 at 11:48 AM Rating: Good
Unforkgettable
*****
13,251 posts
Zweihander is pretty decent for a while, I think.
____________________________
Banh
#328 Nov 03 2011 at 11:59 AM Rating: Good
Terrorfiend
*****
12,905 posts
Monsieur Spoonless wrote:
Zweihander


What a simple yet amazing name for a weapon.
#329 Nov 03 2011 at 1:34 PM Rating: Good
*****
10,519 posts
So ****** off. Killed the hydra on my 2nd try, kept pushing forward and got into the garden, got surrounded by those annoying tree enemies and died... so I went back to retrieve my corpse, and decided to lure them out individually... well, 2 at a time anyway. Lo and behold, while fighting 2 of them they jumped around and managed to flank me, and I rolled out to try to get them both in front of me again... and went right off a cliff. ******* 9000 souls down the drain. A;SDJKFASKL;FAL; KFADSLKFJ; J
____________________________
◕ ‿‿ ◕
#330 Nov 03 2011 at 1:39 PM Rating: Good
Unforkgettable
*****
13,251 posts
Smiley: lol Did the patch hit NA yet? I haven't played in a couple days.
____________________________
Banh
#331 Nov 03 2011 at 1:51 PM Rating: Good
*****
10,519 posts
Not that I've noticed.
____________________________
◕ ‿‿ ◕
#332 Nov 03 2011 at 3:49 PM Rating: Decent
It's Just a Flesh Wound
******
22,697 posts
Quote:
@#%^ing 9000 souls down the drain. A;SDJKFASKL;FAL; KFADSLKFJ; J

Last time I played my rage quit was a loss of ~30,000 souls and ~4 humanity. I died to a silver night lancer because I only had ~70% hp and got delay glitched. Me not attacking and then attacking a full second later resulting in him hitting me once, which means he does his two hit combo to hit me again and kill me.
____________________________
Dear people I don't like: 凸(●´―`●)凸
#333 Nov 06 2011 at 8:38 PM Rating: Good
*****
16,958 posts
So, something I didn't know until a room mate told me like, 3hrs later, is that there is no level limit on the Forest Hunter Covenant, so I was trying to fight high level peeps on my Lv 40 Knight.

Smiley: crymore
____________________________
MyAnimeList FFXIV Krystal Spoonless
#334 Nov 07 2011 at 8:08 AM Rating: Good
*****
10,519 posts
I'm not quite sure what you mean. Do you mean in that area there's no level limit to invading?

So I finished the Depths last night, and now going to do the Undead Asylum and farm a little to upgrade my pyromancy before I tackle Blighttown.
____________________________
◕ ‿‿ ◕
#335 Nov 07 2011 at 8:50 AM Rating: Good
Official Shrubbery Waterer
*****
14,063 posts
Vataro wrote:
I'm not quite sure what you mean. Do you mean in that area there's no level limit to invading?

So I finished the Depths last night, and now going to do the Undead Asylum and farm a little to upgrade my pyromancy before I tackle Blighttown.

One of the better places to farm in preparation for Blighttown is the Darkroot Garden. The ents there drop moss that counteracts/cures poison and toxin, which you will encounter in abundance once you get into Blighttown.
____________________________
Almalieque wrote:
I'm biased against statistics

#336 Nov 07 2011 at 9:37 AM Rating: Good
*****
10,519 posts
Good to know. My farming spot is the Artorias Gate, so I'll just occasionally run out and farm some tree dudes while I'm at it.
____________________________
◕ ‿‿ ◕
#337 Nov 07 2011 at 1:18 PM Rating: Good
Unforkgettable
*****
13,251 posts
If you haven't yet, I recommend going back to the tutorial area. Make sure to grab the key first (accessible from the same path as the crow's nest). You can get a ring that lets you move normally through deep water. It's very useful in parts of Blighttown.
____________________________
Banh
#338 Nov 07 2011 at 2:14 PM Rating: Good
*****
16,958 posts
Vataro wrote:
I'm not quite sure what you mean. Do you mean in that area there's no level limit to invading?
Yeah, something like that.

If you're part of the Forest Hunter covenant, you get summoned to defend the area if anyone Human walks in.
The Human dude could be Level 17, or 170, it doesn't matter. Anyone wearing the covenant ring gets summoned to defend.
____________________________
MyAnimeList FFXIV Krystal Spoonless
#339 Nov 07 2011 at 2:35 PM Rating: Good
*****
10,519 posts
Oh, interesting. Haven't had that happen to me yet. I guess most people don't like the Forest Hunter Covenant?

Also I'm in the WotW covenant, so I think the pool of players to choose from on my server is less to start with :P.

Monsieur Spoonless wrote:
If you haven't yet, I recommend going back to the tutorial area. Make sure to grab the key first (accessible from the same path as the crow's nest). You can get a ring that lets you move normally through deep water. It's very useful in parts of Blighttown.

That's the Undead Asylum that I was referring to in my earlier post :P.
____________________________
◕ ‿‿ ◕
#340 Nov 20 2012 at 9:06 AM Rating: Good
Hollow Necro bump.

So I picked this up on Steam for the PC Time to Die edition. Right off the DL the port is a bit wonky but if you get the DS fix it makes it look fantastic. 360 controller support is native and seems to work well. Game is difficult but not frustratingly so yet. It kind of reminds me of The witcher 2 in action combat style.
Either block counter strike, or dodge circle around and strike.

Made it to Undead Burg so far on my standard issue warrior. Was using SnB until I got a waraxe, now I am using that. It's a bit slow and harder to recover if you misss like the morning star but man when you hit it crushes.

Decided to soul farm for a bit until I can take out the black knight on the map before engaging the next boss. Seems like good fun so far.
____________________________
An old silent pond...
A frog jumps into the pond,
splash! Silence again.

~ Matsuo Basho
Necro Warning: This post occurred more than thirty days after the prior, and may be a necropost.
#341 Nov 20 2012 at 9:29 AM Rating: Good
****
6,470 posts
Master Shojindo wrote:
Hollow Necro bump.

So I picked this up on Steam for the PC Time to Die edition. Right off the DL the port is a bit wonky but if you get the DS fix it makes it look fantastic. 360 controller support is native and seems to work well. Game is difficult but not frustratingly so yet. It kind of reminds me of The witcher 2 in action combat style.
Either block counter strike, or dodge circle around and strike.

Made it to Undead Burg so far on my standard issue warrior. Was using SnB until I got a waraxe, now I am using that. It's a bit slow and harder to recover if you misss like the morning star but man when you hit it crushes.

Decided to soul farm for a bit until I can take out the black knight on the map before engaging the next boss. Seems like good fun so far.


I'm working through it right now, too. Played it a bit on release, but without consulting an FAQ I got a bit lost, died many frustrating deaths, and gave up.

This playthrough has been much more regimented. I'm down at the bottom of Blight Town, currently, having fought (and lost to) Quelaag (sp?) once. Got my **** kicked, so I'm not sure what to do with myself. I'll probably give it a couple more attempts to better gauge whether it's a winnable fight or not.

I'm clinically incapable of fighting with anything other than spear + shield. Rolling dodges in Dark Souls have always struck me as a bit unreliable, so I prefer to turtle up and poke at things from behind the safety of 100% block. Using a Partizan +5 that I'll probably make into a Divine Partizan, and the Knight/Spider shields. Gargoyle Helmet, Glorious Armor, and Elite Knight's stuff for equips.
____________________________
Latest Articles:
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine Review

Follow me on Twitter!
#342 Nov 20 2012 at 9:41 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
The second time I meet the Asylum demon thingie in the entry level, am I supposed to defeat him?

I'll admit that he killed me twice, I got bored and played something else. I intend to come back to it but that'll be after I get finished/done with Hitman: Absolution starting tonight.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#343 Nov 20 2012 at 9:54 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
******
27,602 posts
Jophiel wrote:
The second time I meet the Asylum demon thingie in the entry level, am I supposed to defeat him?

I'll admit that he killed me twice, I got bored and played something else. I intend to come back to it but that'll be after I get finished/done with Hitman: Absolution starting tonight.
Once you have your gear, yeah, you're supposed to beat him the second time. He's quite easy once you learn his attacks. Even easier if you're a Pyromancer/Sorcerer or picked the Black Firebombs as your gift.
____________________________
Someone on another forum wrote:
Wow, you've got an awesome writing style.! I really dig the narrator's back story, humor, sarcasm, and the plethora of pop culture references. Altogether a refreshingly different RotR journal (not that I don't like the more traditional ones, mind you).

#344 Nov 20 2012 at 4:42 PM Rating: Excellent
Sage
**
584 posts
Eske Esquire wrote:

This playthrough has been much more regimented. I'm down at the bottom of Blight Town, currently, having fought (and lost to) Quelaag (sp?) once. Got my **** kicked, so I'm not sure what to do with myself. I'll probably give it a couple more attempts to better gauge whether it's a winnable fight or not.

I'm clinically incapable of fighting with anything other than spear + shield. Rolling dodges in Dark Souls have always struck me as a bit unreliable, so I prefer to turtle up and poke at things from behind the safety of 100% block. Using a Partizan +5 that I'll probably make into a Divine Partizan, and the Knight/Spider shields. Gargoyle Helmet, Glorious Armor, and Elite Knight's stuff for equips.


If you're struggling with Quelaag, summon Maneater Mildred. All you have to do is be in the Blighttown swamp while you're human, and then she attacks you. Once you defeat her, her summon sign is right in front of Quelaags fog gate. She can tank a lot of the damage Quelaag throws out, leaving you to 2-hand Quelaag from relative safety.


____________________________
Kalivha wrote:
We can put on top hats and monocles and make fun of the English.
#345 Nov 21 2012 at 8:39 AM Rating: Good
****
6,470 posts
Sgriob wrote:
If you're struggling with Quelaag, summon Maneater Mildred. All you have to do is be in the Blighttown swamp while you're human, and then she attacks you. Once you defeat her, her summon sign is right in front of Quelaags fog gate. She can tank a lot of the damage Quelaag throws out, leaving you to 2-hand Quelaag from relative safety.


Mmm, that's good to know, thanks. I've basically been going through the entire game undead or whatever, because ill-timed invasions sap my will to play the game. I'll give that a try if I've got some humanity to spare next time I fire it up (December).

A note on invasions - I used to enjoy the unpredictability of them; it's a rush to be forced into PVP all of a sudden and all...but this time around I'm finding that the guys that invade are much better equipped than I am, and much more skilled. They've been one-hit killing my tank with ease, which sort of takes the fun out. So I seem to enjoy things more in a corpse-like state.
____________________________
Latest Articles:
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine Review

Follow me on Twitter!
#346 Nov 21 2012 at 8:49 AM Rating: Good
So I decided to try out Pyromancer and see how magic worked. Seemed ok but while I was creating the Pyro what I really wanted to make was a thief. That ninjer mask and leather armor were calling me.

But, i thought, surely using a single slashy knife and a bucker would be a fast invite back to the campfire sword in a game like this...

Boy was I wrong about that. I friggen love the thief and his slashy bandit knife is amazing. Even without back stabs the attacks are so fast that you can just pre-empt most mobs first attack without a parry and slash them down. But I'm also loving back stabs. Circle around, hit strong, stab and kick off the bloody wrecked corpse.

Also that attack speed seems crazy with some lightning. I had some pine resin in my bag so before I fought taurus demon I put some on. Jumped up the ladder to DFA him, then got behind him and dropped him in seconds just spamming slash.

Fun game so far.

*Edit to say my GFWL account does not seem to work when I log in so my game is playing in Offline mode. I might try and fix it, but probally not since I am not really interested in being invaded or co-oping bosses.

Edited, Nov 21st 2012 6:53am by Shojindo
____________________________
An old silent pond...
A frog jumps into the pond,
splash! Silence again.

~ Matsuo Basho
#347 Nov 21 2012 at 9:32 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
******
27,602 posts
Eske Esquire wrote:
Sgriob wrote:
If you're struggling with Quelaag, summon Maneater Mildred. All you have to do is be in the Blighttown swamp while you're human, and then she attacks you. Once you defeat her, her summon sign is right in front of Quelaags fog gate. She can tank a lot of the damage Quelaag throws out, leaving you to 2-hand Quelaag from relative safety.


Mmm, that's good to know, thanks. I've basically been going through the entire game undead or whatever, because ill-timed invasions sap my will to play the game. I'll give that a try if I've got some humanity to spare next time I fire it up (December).
If you're having trouble getting to where you want to go without being invaded while planning to do a summoned NPC try on a boss, you can play in offline mode.

Also, boss AI tends to be a little wonky. They usually just go after whomever hit them last about half the time, so if you time it right, you can almost ping-pong some bosses.
____________________________
Someone on another forum wrote:
Wow, you've got an awesome writing style.! I really dig the narrator's back story, humor, sarcasm, and the plethora of pop culture references. Altogether a refreshingly different RotR journal (not that I don't like the more traditional ones, mind you).

#348 Nov 21 2012 at 1:19 PM Rating: Good
Sage
**
584 posts
Master Shojindo wrote:

*Edit to say my GFWL account does not seem to work when I log in so my game is playing in Offline mode. I might try and fix it, but probally not since I am not really interested in being invaded or co-oping bosses.

Edited, Nov 21st 2012 6:53am by Shojindo


Did you use an Xbox Live account when you first set up GFWL? That's what I did, and once your Xbox Live gold Subscription runs out, the account is locked in GFWL, until you resub. GFWL is the worst thing ever, I wish they could have just left it as a Steam game. I was about 70-80% through the game, then I had to restart, because your save games are tied to your GFWL account.
____________________________
Kalivha wrote:
We can put on top hats and monocles and make fun of the English.
#349 Nov 21 2012 at 2:56 PM Rating: Good
Sgriob wrote:
Master Shojindo wrote:

*Edit to say my GFWL account does not seem to work when I log in so my game is playing in Offline mode. I might try and fix it, but probally not since I am not really interested in being invaded or co-oping bosses.

Edited, Nov 21st 2012 6:53am by Shojindo


Did you use an Xbox Live account when you first set up GFWL? That's what I did, and once your Xbox Live gold Subscription runs out, the account is locked in GFWL, until you resub. GFWL is the worst thing ever, I wish they could have just left it as a Steam game. I was about 70-80% through the game, then I had to restart, because your save games are tied to your GFWL account.


Ouch! That's harsh about the restart. I think I created the GFWL account for Fable 3 from Steam. I don't Xbox. Maybe the password needs reset or something silly. It's just logging in the embedded name I used by default with no errors but when I go to lanch the game it says "No GFWL, launching offline.." /shrug

Not to worried about it at this point. :)
____________________________
An old silent pond...
A frog jumps into the pond,
splash! Silence again.

~ Matsuo Basho
#350 Nov 23 2012 at 9:11 PM Rating: Good
Ok so I got to gargoyle's and realized that being a fast stabbing squishy thief was kinda hard. So I rerolled as a knight and was back to the same spot asap. Now I've dropped the drakesword for a Longsword +5 and my elite knights armor is +3.

Working my way through the depths atm. This game is brilliant, even with the ability to let me farm obsessively whenever I am stuck and the compete lack of wtf to do nextness. It's a love letter to nutters. Yup I alternate between fuggin hating it and thinking I have not had this much fun in ages.
____________________________
An old silent pond...
A frog jumps into the pond,
splash! Silence again.

~ Matsuo Basho
#351 Nov 24 2012 at 2:16 PM Rating: Good
Sage
**
584 posts
I ended up re rolling Pyromancer, with a focus on Dex. Using an Uchigatana +7 atm, I Finished the Depths last night and tried to quick - run blight town, and got crushed by quelaag. Only level 20 atm, so I'm going to boost myself as much as possible then come back.
____________________________
Kalivha wrote:
We can put on top hats and monocles and make fun of the English.
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 77 All times are in CDT
Demea, Jophiel, Kuwoobie, Anonymous Guests (74)