Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Here's why I can't wait for rated BGs...Follow

#1 Oct 07 2010 at 2:40 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,912 posts
I log, and queue to random BGs...

It's Strand of the Ancients...

We are defending, my teammates rush the boat and kill a few weak people while letting demos get straight to the gates unharmed and protected by the ones that aren't as easy to kill.

I try to stop the demos but there's no case, I get killed because I'm alone trying to kill 2 demos while 3-4 guys attack me. Door broken.

I yell in BG which gate needs immediate defense while waiting to respawn, then run to the gate and reach it before the demos get there. But for the second time I'm alone, trying to kill 2 demos which are protected by 3-4 other people.

My teammates, after having killed every easy kill that remained at the boat, proceeded to head to the gy at the beach to camp them as they respawn.

Then it's the yellow gate, same thing again. Yellow gate was defended by only lonely me with no chance against a full group of enemies.

Since all is lost anyway, I decide the problem was that my team lacked coordination and that I should practice my team communiaction skills by letting my team know the sinful amount of stupidity they have just shown.


[xorq]: You guys are bad, because you're in defense and you haven't defended anything, you'll always lose if you always do the same.
[horrid noob]: STFU, you suck Xorq, you have 0 kills and 3 deaths. I have more kills than you!!!!.


This isn't something that has happened to me just once, I've had it happen many times. It's one of the reasons I can't wait for rated BGs...

And Mr. Horrid Noob is going to be in for a big shock when he discovers that in rated BGs he doesn't get any points for losing.
____________________________
NOTE: I may post comments about my like/dislike/approval/disapproval of game features.
1- They are NOT a complaint. They are a perspective.
2- They are NOT advocacy. They are a perspective.

Overlord Theophany wrote:
Insults aren't needed
#2 Oct 07 2010 at 6:45 AM Rating: Good
***
1,679 posts
xorq wrote:
that I should practice my team communiaction skills
Keep practicing. Also if you start your phrase with "You guys are bad" it doesn't help.

The good thing is nobody is stopping you to do your own premade.
____________________________
"anything added to the game is technically content, even if it was only a giant, steaming pile of turds for us to climb for a paltry achievement." - Drusas

#3 Oct 07 2010 at 7:01 AM Rating: Excellent
****
4,056 posts
xorq wrote:

[xorq]: You guys are bad, because you're in defense and you haven't defended anything, you'll always lose if you always do the same.


I actually get results maybe 50% of the time if I ask politely, using only grammatically called-for caps and with no variations of the following words: bad, noob, suck. Just a simple "Can I get some help at x?" in the bg chat.

It's only a 50% response, but it's 50% more than you'll get if you scold them. It doesn't matter that you're right, they're going to see one of those key words, or yelling, and confuse you with that guy who does nothing but screech at everyone else despite doing jack-all himself and having no idea what he's talking about (you know the one, there is always at least one), and dismiss you without really reading what you have to say. My eyes go right over yells in a battleground.
#4 Oct 07 2010 at 10:10 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
2,346 posts
This is currently why I hate playing BG's on my battlegroup. Horde seems to get steamrolled in everything we play. People won't defend flag/bases is pretty much the biggest reason we lose.

I hope that rated bg's weed out those people who don't actually play and allow for at least some hard fought games.
#5 Oct 07 2010 at 1:53 PM Rating: Excellent
Does it from behind...
Avatar
*****
13,048 posts
I ususually get the best response when I say something like "guys, we're bad :(" early on in a match like AB where we've only got one node.

Then people tend to realize "oh, I'm in a BG, guess I should try to win it!"
____________________________
The·oph·a·ny (thē-ŏf'ə-nē)
An appearance of a god to a human; a divine manifestation.
Rogue Hunter
#6 Oct 08 2010 at 1:05 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
***
1,912 posts
teacake wrote:
xorq wrote:

[xorq]: You guys are bad, because you're in defense and you haven't defended anything, you'll always lose if you always do the same.


I actually get results maybe 50% of the time if I ask politely, using only grammatically called-for caps and with no variations of the following words: bad, noob, suck. Just a simple "Can I get some help at x?" in the bg chat.

It's only a 50% response, but it's 50% more than you'll get if you scold them. It doesn't matter that you're right, they're going to see one of those key words, or yelling, and confuse you with that guy who does nothing but screech at everyone else despite doing jack-all himself and having no idea what he's talking about (you know the one, there is always at least one), and dismiss you without really reading what you have to say. My eyes go right over yells in a battleground.


I get what you say. But I only call people bads after they have played so bad that they had already made winning impossible.

And when I said I "yell" on /bg which gate needs defense I really mean I say something like "purple", "inc purple", "2 demos inc purple" or "purple needs help fast", and I sometimes type the color in caps.

I just played a Eye of the Storm where we had only 1 node and everyone was throwing themselves to mid field to fight alliance that were on the roads. And I just walked to a node all alone and uncapped it because it was completely unguarded, from the unguarded node I was capping I was also seeing that the other node was unguarded too. I called it on BG chat, I said that those nodes were unguarded and that I needed help for holding the node. And yes, I said it politely, I don't like to waste time typing because I can get killed for typing too much, I said something along the lines of "need help fr, be unguarded too, fast pls".

I didn't get any help, nobody went to the unguarded node, and shortly after the node I was capping turned neutral a group composed of disc priest, rogue, dk, and a mage came to recover it and I was completely alone.

In that situation, I am standing on an easy unguarded node, and 14 people on my team KNOW that I'm there capping it, and that there is also another node that would be easy to cap, and their choice of action is to continue rushing to middle.

I pretty much take that as my team saying "We aren't going to do sh*t to win so if you're trying to win you're @#%^ed" which is when I go negative mode and stop fighting myself and take the time to type fully coherent sentences describing how terrible they are and telling them why they are making the team lose.

Quote:
The good thing is nobody is stopping you to do your own premade.


Yeah, I've done that, but at the moment there isn't much of a point in doing premades unless you want to do achieves or grind the rep.

In terms of honor or arena points it's faster to queue as random than to organize a premade, specially if it isn't bg weekend for a 10-man or 15-man bg.


Edited, Oct 8th 2010 3:16am by xorq
____________________________
NOTE: I may post comments about my like/dislike/approval/disapproval of game features.
1- They are NOT a complaint. They are a perspective.
2- They are NOT advocacy. They are a perspective.

Overlord Theophany wrote:
Insults aren't needed
#7 Oct 08 2010 at 11:14 AM Rating: Excellent
****
4,056 posts
xorq wrote:
In that situation, I am standing on an easy unguarded node, and 14 people on my team KNOW that I'm there capping it, and that there is also another node that would be easy to cap, and their choice of action is to continue rushing to middle.


Oh I hear you. Sometimes I get so frustrated, I find myself using filthy words I didn't even realize I knew. I have to look them up after.

I'm looking forward to rated BG's as well for the same reason. I may still get a whoopin', but it will be for better reasons.
#8 Oct 08 2010 at 2:23 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
2,346 posts
I remember once when I was on a lowbie, was doing WSG.

We were down 2-0 with 7 minutes remaining. Both flags had been grabbed, both flags being contained at their respective graveyards. Our team couldn't comprehend "go get our flag back." That to them I guess meant "lets go farm honor in the middle." Now occasionally some people would attack our flag carrier but we had hope for about 2 minutes. After that we told the flag carrier to drop it. He wouldn't, everyone by him just let the rogues and druids come in to try and kill him, they couldn't. So we had to sit there for 5 minutes wasting time just to get our 1 mark because of some stubborn **** yelling at people and telling us that we suck.
#9 Oct 08 2010 at 2:49 PM Rating: Good
Does it from behind...
Avatar
*****
13,048 posts
Hyolith wrote:
I remember once when I was on a lowbie, was doing WSG.

We were down 2-0 with 7 minutes remaining. Both flags had been grabbed, both flags being contained at their respective graveyards. Our team couldn't comprehend "go get our flag back." That to them I guess meant "lets go farm honor in the middle." Now occasionally some people would attack our flag carrier but we had hope for about 2 minutes. After that we told the flag carrier to drop it. He wouldn't, everyone by him just let the rogues and druids come in to try and kill him, they couldn't. So we had to sit there for 5 minutes wasting time just to get our 1 mark because of some stubborn @#%^ yelling at people and telling us that we suck.

On the flip side of that, two days ago I was in a WSG match where I entered with 10 mins left. We were down 2-0, and we came back and won 3-2. I capped two flags, and a shaman capped the third.

Even down 2-0, it's stupid to give up. It's still possible to win with a couple exceptional players.
____________________________
The·oph·a·ny (thē-ŏf'ə-nē)
An appearance of a god to a human; a divine manifestation.
Rogue Hunter
#10 Oct 08 2010 at 3:09 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
***
1,912 posts
Hyolith wrote:
I remember once when I was on a lowbie, was doing WSG.

We were down 2-0 with 7 minutes remaining. Both flags had been grabbed, both flags being contained at their respective graveyards. Our team couldn't comprehend "go get our flag back." That to them I guess meant "lets go farm honor in the middle." Now occasionally some people would attack our flag carrier but we had hope for about 2 minutes. After that we told the flag carrier to drop it. He wouldn't, everyone by him just let the rogues and druids come in to try and kill him, they couldn't. So we had to sit there for 5 minutes wasting time just to get our 1 mark because of some stubborn @#%^ yelling at people and telling us that we suck.


Ever got so tired of your teammates being so bad that you wanted to retaliate in response?

And do note that I don't even worry about people lacking gear or even lacking PvP skill so much. When I say bad I strictly mean they are not even attempting to win the objective.

In shooter games you have the benefit that you can switch teams. If I do everything to help my team win, and they just completely **** up, I can retaliate by switching teams and farming them with extreme prejudice.

To make sure I get my point across, I engage on my highly diplomatic communication skills by delivering phrases with very nice morale modifiers, like "I told you to help me get the flag, now lets see if you can get it with me defending it" or "Every point your team has, was scored by me, now I'm on the other team making sure you don't score any, try harder". This usually results in them getting mad at me, trying harder at least against me, learning to be less fail, and becoming less frustrating teammates to have the next round, either that or extremely humiliating scoreboard results which is equally satisfactory.

In WSG, you can't switch teams. The only way to retaliate that I have found is to defend my own flag and, making use of my higly diplomatic communcation skills, present my teammates with morale modifying phrases like "I will defend this flag as long as I can, and if you're bad, I hope you're getting farmed with extreme prejudice for every minute of it".

Personally, I completely preffer the option on shooter games because I don't like acting against my own team, I am more comfortable with switching teams.

Edited, Oct 8th 2010 5:18pm by xorq
____________________________
NOTE: I may post comments about my like/dislike/approval/disapproval of game features.
1- They are NOT a complaint. They are a perspective.
2- They are NOT advocacy. They are a perspective.

Overlord Theophany wrote:
Insults aren't needed
#11 Oct 08 2010 at 3:46 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
2,346 posts
I've definitely had my share of comebacks, though usually far between. But I agree you can always come back and win but it's not possible to win when I see 5 people camping middle for honor, 1 lonely rogue trying to take on the druid FC with 2 healers and some dps while our FC and 2 others defending him are waiting patiently for the return of our flag.

Oh, which reminds me of the times when your running back to your base with the flag. No one is guarding your flag, you get to the tunnel and see "Name has taken the X's flag" so what does the FC plus all his little minions do? Run to the flag room, and wait. No one ever seems to go and find the other FC and by that time he's smart enough to run the other way and simply avoids all resistance.
#12 Oct 08 2010 at 3:54 PM Rating: Good
Does it from behind...
Avatar
*****
13,048 posts
Hyolith wrote:
I've definitely had my share of comebacks, though usually far between. But I agree you can always come back and win but it's not possible to win when I see 5 people camping middle for honor, 1 lonely rogue trying to take on the druid FC with 2 healers and some dps while our FC and 2 others defending him are waiting patiently for the return of our flag.

Eh, the game I was referring to, 8/10 of the Horde players were camping the middle; only the shaman and I were going for the flag. Smiley: frown

It really depends. I have a decent amount of resilience, and the shaman was resto and a pretty good healer, so between us it wasn't too hard to cap.
____________________________
The·oph·a·ny (thē-ŏf'ə-nē)
An appearance of a god to a human; a divine manifestation.
Rogue Hunter
#13 Oct 08 2010 at 5:24 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
2,346 posts
Overlord Theophany wrote:
Hyolith wrote:
I've definitely had my share of comebacks, though usually far between. But I agree you can always come back and win but it's not possible to win when I see 5 people camping middle for honor, 1 lonely rogue trying to take on the druid FC with 2 healers and some dps while our FC and 2 others defending him are waiting patiently for the return of our flag.

Eh, the game I was referring to, 8/10 of the Horde players were camping the middle; only the shaman and I were going for the flag. Smiley: frown

It really depends. I have a decent amount of resilience, and the shaman was resto and a pretty good healer, so between us it wasn't too hard to cap.


That's pretty cool. I don't believe I've ever had any games quite like that.

Hopefully rated BG's will bring my guild to pvp together more. We got 8 together once for a premade and dominated a WSG, but with the queue time people don't stay around but for 1 or 2. Plus the new guild achievements we will have to get.
#14 Oct 08 2010 at 10:30 PM Rating: Good
Does it from behind...
Avatar
*****
13,048 posts
Yeah, my guild is the biggest PvP guild on Draka, we do random BG groups all the time. At times we've had 4-5 groups going.

It's pretty nice when you have over 100 active PvPers in one guild, even if most have barely seen 1800 if that.
____________________________
The·oph·a·ny (thē-ŏf'ə-nē)
An appearance of a god to a human; a divine manifestation.
Rogue Hunter
#15 Oct 08 2010 at 11:17 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
2,346 posts
I've never seen 1800. I'm pretty noob when it comes to pvp. I'm competent enough to know what to do in BG's. My reaction time as well as key bindings probably hinder me the most in arena though.

I started a 2's team with a friend of mine on my mage so it was MP. But we were both pretty new to arena so we had our good and bad days. Sadly a lot of my experience in pvp with games has always been attack fast and attack hard and that's usually what kills us. Sometimes we'd get lucky other times I couldn't get a dps down and got frustrated. Had some fun experiences like soloing a rogue and druid on my mage.

Hopefully I'll be able to enjoy pvp more with rated bg's and the ability to grab some other pvp items without having to have a 2200 rating.
#16 Oct 10 2010 at 4:12 PM Rating: Good
***
3,879 posts
Problem with BGs is that you get a better reward for killing other players then you do for achieving objectives.

I can't begin to count the number of times where I've racked up objectives and then at the end, see that some idiot who spent his entire time GY camping, fighting mid-field and doing other stuff that didn't contribute had way more bonus honor.

You want BGs cleaned up then Blizz is going to have to give the real rewards for capping and taking objectives and less bonus honor for killing.
#17 Oct 10 2010 at 9:28 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,912 posts
Actually the reward for winning is much higher than the reward for farming kills.

The problem is, if you lose while trying to win you get honor, but if you lose farming kills you get more.

Which in the end really means that the guy that makes his team lose because he was just farming kills, gets more honor than the teammates who were in fact trying to win.

If they implement a loser team gets nothing system, the ones that lose while trying to win are going to boot the ones that were farming kills while they were trying to win. And the ones that just farm kills will just lose and get nothing.

What they still need to do is implement a "this is teamwork" policy so that everyone in the team gets the same amount of honor, honor for kills goes equally distributed to the entire team, as does honor for everything else.

That way, the guy farming kills will not see himself getting more reward, and the ones trying to win will not see themselves getting less reward than him.
____________________________
NOTE: I may post comments about my like/dislike/approval/disapproval of game features.
1- They are NOT a complaint. They are a perspective.
2- They are NOT advocacy. They are a perspective.

Overlord Theophany wrote:
Insults aren't needed
#18 Oct 10 2010 at 10:02 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
2,346 posts
xorq wrote:
What they still need to do is implement a "this is teamwork" policy so that everyone in the team gets the same amount of honor, honor for kills goes equally distributed to the entire team, as does honor for everything else.

That way, the guy farming kills will not see himself getting more reward, and the ones trying to win will not see themselves getting less reward than him.


Honestly I don't see that working out very well. I can see a lot of people then actually staying and defending, and not actually wanting to do any work. If you stay and say defend AV, or something you can sit there and do absolutely nothing and get the same amount of honor as all the other people trying to cap whatever and win the game.

With rated battlegrounds we probably won't see a lot of honor farming unless the team has got it on lock down. People won't want to lose and hopefully the competent people will be the ones playing.
#19 Oct 10 2010 at 10:47 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,912 posts
Hyolith wrote:

Honestly I don't see that working out very well. I can see a lot of people then actually staying and defending, and not actually wanting to do any work. If you stay and say defend AV, or something you can sit there and do absolutely nothing and get the same amount of honor as all the other people trying to cap whatever and win the game.


That's actually another point were it would be good.

You need people defending important strategic points. The people defending them shouldn't get any less honor than the rest of their teammates if they were doing their part.

But I also can't make much sense out of what you say about defending = not doing any work.

You mention AV. If you are at offensive you will encounter almost no resistance, I have an ICC geared tank, I run straight to the last boss, tank him with his 4 warmasters and it's over, no resistance at all, no PvP skill required. The ones who would have to work harder are the ones on defense trying to delay the enemy offensive.

I think the only BG where defending a strategic point isn't important is warsong. I find it's usually better to just let the enemy grab the flag and intercept the carrier than to turtle the flag room, unless you're already winning.
____________________________
NOTE: I may post comments about my like/dislike/approval/disapproval of game features.
1- They are NOT a complaint. They are a perspective.
2- They are NOT advocacy. They are a perspective.

Overlord Theophany wrote:
Insults aren't needed
#20 Oct 11 2010 at 9:40 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
2,346 posts
I understand that defense is a good thing. But in a battle like AV it takes awhile before the opposite faction gets to your base. If there is no incentive to actually go out there and kill people then it just won't happen. The incentive for going on O is because you usually get more HK's therefore more honor. But if the honor is split amongst everyone then no one is going to want to do much work on O because it won't make too much of a difference.

In WSG I always try and stay and defend flag, but part of defending is that you don't get as many HK's as people out there trying to take the flag. I know they tried to combat that by saying you get 50% more honor if you are defending, but in WSG with only 10 players theren't not too terribly many HK's happening in the flag room. So in that case it probably would be better for the defender to get the same as the people on O.

So I don't know, in the end I don't think it would work out too well, some people could just sit back and do nothing and get the same honor as the people doing something.
#21 Oct 11 2010 at 9:51 AM Rating: Default
4 posts
rusttle wrote:
Problem with BGs is that you get a better reward for killing other players then you do for achieving objectives.

I can't begin to count the number of times where I've racked up objectives and then at the end, see that some idiot who spent his entire time GY camping, fighting mid-field and doing other stuff that didn't contribute had way more bonus honor.

You want BGs cleaned up then Blizz is going to have to give the real rewards for capping and taking objectives and less bonus honor for killing.


Thats the heart of it really. Pumping up the rewards for accomplishing x task in the BG and downplaying the HK aspect (while keeping HK's viable) its a slippery slope to work on. And would no doubt cause no end of people rageing at Blizzard (well, more then they do allready...) about "breaking" BG's because they cant honor farm anymore. lol
____________________________
Admin edit: Gold farming guide sales are against the ZAM TOS. If you put them uo again, you will be banned. ~Administrator Kaolian
#22 Oct 11 2010 at 11:57 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,912 posts
No. There really is no real reason why you should distribute honor differently to different teammates in a teamwork effort.

It would be like distributing arena points unevenly to different team members in an Arena team. Or distrubuting XP, gold, badges, points, unevenly to different teammates in a Dungeon group or raid.

Quote:
But in a battle like AV it takes awhile before the opposite faction gets to your base. If there is no incentive to actually go out there and kill people then it just won't happen. The incentive for going on O is because you usually get more HK's therefore more honor.


No, AV does not work the way you describe. Both factions reach each other's boss within less than 100 seconds from the moment the battle starts, and the ones on offensive get almost no HKs. If you wanted to farm HKs at AV you'd have to turtle.

Also, if you're trying to win AV by doing HKs you're doing it wrong. Even if it comes down to reinforcements, towers are worth 75 reinforcements, captains are worth 100, HKs are worth 1 (ONE).

As for Warsong, you're wrong there too, the people actually running the flag don't get as many HKs, and probably aren't even doing that much damage as it's tons more efficient to sheep someone so that he can't chase than to dps him down while he's hitting the FC. The ones getting the HKs are the ones farming HKs, they are also the ones being retards and breaking all the sheeps, blinds gouges and saps you did to help the FC run away, and if you're lacking heals, that gets your FC killed.



Edited, Oct 11th 2010 2:05pm by xorq
____________________________
NOTE: I may post comments about my like/dislike/approval/disapproval of game features.
1- They are NOT a complaint. They are a perspective.
2- They are NOT advocacy. They are a perspective.

Overlord Theophany wrote:
Insults aren't needed
#23 Oct 11 2010 at 1:34 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
2,346 posts
xorq wrote:
Quote:
But in a battle like AV it takes awhile before the opposite faction gets to your base. If there is no incentive to actually go out there and kill people then it just won't happen. The incentive for going on O is because you usually get more HK's therefore more honor.


No, AV does not work the way you describe. Both factions reach each other's boss within less than 100 seconds from the moment the battle starts, and the ones on offensive get almost no HKs. If you wanted to farm HKs at AV you'd have to turtle.

Also, if you're trying to win AV by doing HKs you're doing it wrong. Even if it comes down to reinforcements, towers are worth 75 reinforcements, captains are worth 100, HKs are worth 1 (ONE).


Maybe that's how AV works on battlegroup but not on mine, yes in the end the winner is the faction who kills the final boss, but it's never over in 2 minutes. People usually wait for graveyards to be capped, towers to be destroyed and what not. If you take away the need to do those things then it's not going to be much of a battleground anymore. If you take away people getting more honor for more HK's then people simply aren't going to participate as much. If I know I'm going to get the same amount of honor as the people who want to do all the work, then why do it?

FC's do tend to get more HK's than defenders, why? Because they are in the middle of the action. Running across middle is a haven for HK's defenders never get there. So while FC's might not get as many killing blows or do as much damage they are still getting more HK's than the people defending the flag room.
#24 Oct 11 2010 at 2:42 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,912 posts
There isn't a single BG where individually getting more honor than teammates from HKs is an incentive that leads to winning.

- In AB it's an incentive to farm kills in the roads, which makes you lose.
- In WSG it's an incentive to farm kills midfield or at the enemy gy, which makes you lose.
- In EOTS it's an incentive to rush mid instead of grabbing nodes, which makes you lose.
- In Strand, it's an incentive to farm kills at the beach or spawn instead of focusing on defending/damaging gates and defending/capping gys, which makes you lose.
- At AV, even if you win by reinforcements, reinforcements battles are almost always won by the towers and not by the HKs. And that only happens if you turtle the game.
- At isle, if you're farming random kills midfield, you're doing it wrong, because what your team needs to destroy fast is the enemy gates.

And you also haven't provided any actual reason why in a teamwork effort any needed role should be more rewarded than any of the other needed roles. And keep in mind that individual extra honor for HKs currently gives extra reward to an unneeded role, to the guy making your team lose.

Hyolith wrote:

People usually wait for graveyards to be capped, towers to be destroyed and what not. If you take away the need to do those things then it's not going to be much of a battleground anymore.


The need to do those things does not exist. The boss can be 5-manned in ICC gear without taking any graveyard or bunker and without any PvP action. I know, it's sad.

Quote:
FC's do tend to get more HK's than defenders, why? Because they are in the middle of the action. Running across middle is a haven for HK's defenders never get there. So while FC's might not get as many killing blows or do as much damage they are still getting more HK's than the people defending the flag room.


But that doesn't matter, the guy being FC is the one not doing it for HKs, the ones looking for HKs will not even run the flag at all, and very often they will do nothing to protect the FC. And in some cases, it is them who get the FC killed.

Edited, Oct 11th 2010 4:43pm by xorq
____________________________
NOTE: I may post comments about my like/dislike/approval/disapproval of game features.
1- They are NOT a complaint. They are a perspective.
2- They are NOT advocacy. They are a perspective.

Overlord Theophany wrote:
Insults aren't needed
#25 Oct 12 2010 at 10:24 AM Rating: Good
Ghost in the Machine
Avatar
******
36,002 posts
I'm seeing the trend on my server as well, which is why I quit PvP (and thus the game itself for the time being). It's happening in Warsong Gulch as well, with people farming the middle while one from the enemy's team solo-caps three flags. I think that's why Alterac Valley is also seeing a boom in activity lately.

People are maxing out in gear and have no reason to actively try to win anymore, so instead of doing lots of tactics and stuff to get the win and the honor points, they just hang out in midfield, killing those on the other team that feel the same way. Basically it's like World PvP, except World PvP is dead, so they sign up for Battlegrounds to do it.
____________________________
Please "talk up" if your comprehension white-shifts. I will use simple-happy language-words to help you understand.
#26 Oct 12 2010 at 10:44 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
2,346 posts
Mazra wrote:
It's happening in Warsong Gulch as well, with people farming the middle while one from the enemy's team solo-caps three flags.


That's pretty much what happens in all the WSG games I play. More often than not. Our FC will run RIGHT past their FC, won't even touch each other. Our defenders won't even touch their FC. Then you both sit there, wait for the FC's to become vulnerable and pray your team can actually kill the other FC and return the flag by extreme luck.
#27 Oct 19 2010 at 8:28 PM Rating: Good
Sage
**
428 posts
Theo wrote:
On the flip side of that, two days ago I was in a WSG match where I entered with 10 mins left. We were down 2-0, and we came back and won 3-2. I capped two flags, and a shaman capped the third.

Even down 2-0, it's stupid to give up. It's still possible to win with a couple exceptional players.

I don't post here like I used to, so maybe I just missed something, but is this nicer side of Theo freaking anyone else out? It's like he went to a inter-personal relationship seminar or something. His posts used to start with "No, it's b/c you're bad." Now they start with "On the flip side of that", which is almost straight out of my employer's "How to Resolve Team Disputes" handbook. :)

Anyhow, what Theo describes is probably in my top 3 most satisfying WoW moments -- coming back from a 0-2 deficit in WSG via a sudden uprising of team communication and focus. Side note, another was when I got Challenger on my mage in 2s for S2 (with a lock)...another was when my fiance got her second 80 haha....yes it's the little things that seem to matter most.

Also, seems like some of you are being a bit narrow-minded with regards to BG strat. While fighting in the roads in AB has very little upside, dominating the mid in WSG is most certainly not a guaranteed loss. That is, so long as it isn't your ENTIRE team doing it. Having a good group of 3-4 run your flag while the remaining 6-7 control mid is a pretty common way to win WSG.
____________________________
Mccready | 85 Human Rogue | Argent Dawn
Rubmyhorns | 80 Tauren Druid | Bleeding Hollow
Giventofly | 82 Dwarf Paladin | Argent Dawn
Ayn | 82 Human Mage | Argent Dawn
Sevendeuce | 71 Undead Warlock | Bleeding Hollow
Nyadnar | 70 Orc Warrior | Bleeding Hollow
Outofideas | 56 Troll Hunter | Bleeding Hollow
Killphilip | 44 Undead Priest
#28 Oct 20 2010 at 6:33 AM Rating: Excellent
****
4,056 posts
AynLoD wrote:

I don't post here like I used to, so maybe I just missed something, but is this nicer side of Theo freaking anyone else out? It's like he went to a inter-personal relationship seminar or something. His posts used to start with "No, it's b/c you're bad." Now they start with "On the flip side of that", which is almost straight out of my employer's "How to Resolve Team Disputes" handbook. :)


Isn't he a young'un? Maybe he got an internship. I don't think there's any reason to become alarmed until he starts saying that "at the end of the day" the best way to "add value" to WSG is to "work smart" by "leveraging resources" to "maximize efficient workflow." At that point it becomes necessary to have that intervention where you prop his eyelids up with toothpicks and make him watch Office Space for 48 straight hours.

Actually it's always been my understanding that Theo is generally nice on the PVP forum (starting when the "PVP forum" was his journal page) because he wants to make it work and not scare anyone away.
#29 Oct 20 2010 at 9:29 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
***
1,912 posts
AynLoD wrote:

I don't post here like I used to, so maybe I just missed something, but is this nicer side of Theo freaking anyone else out? It's like he went to a inter-personal relationship seminar or something. His posts used to start with "No, it's b/c you're bad." Now they start with "On the flip side of that", which is almost straight out of my employer's "How to Resolve Team Disputes" handbook. :)


He was missing for a while and he returned not being the annoying prick he used to be. It's like he lost his virginity during his time away and stopped being unhappy grumpy nerd or something. Who cares, his new posts are better.
____________________________
NOTE: I may post comments about my like/dislike/approval/disapproval of game features.
1- They are NOT a complaint. They are a perspective.
2- They are NOT advocacy. They are a perspective.

Overlord Theophany wrote:
Insults aren't needed
#30 Oct 20 2010 at 10:48 PM Rating: Good
Does it from behind...
Avatar
*****
13,048 posts
xorq wrote:
AynLoD wrote:
I don't post here like I used to, so maybe I just missed something, but is this nicer side of Theo freaking anyone else out? It's like he went to a inter-personal relationship seminar or something. His posts used to start with "No, it's b/c you're bad." Now they start with "On the flip side of that", which is almost straight out of my employer's "How to Resolve Team Disputes" handbook. :)


He was missing for a while and he returned not being the annoying prick he used to be. It's like he lost his virginity during his time away and stopped being unhappy grumpy nerd or something. Who cares, his new posts are better.

Insults aren't needed, especially when they're very much off-base. I lost my virginity a long time ago.
____________________________
The·oph·a·ny (thē-ŏf'ə-nē)
An appearance of a god to a human; a divine manifestation.
Rogue Hunter
#31 Oct 21 2010 at 5:14 AM Rating: Good
*****
14,174 posts
Overlord Theophany wrote:
xorq wrote:
AynLoD wrote:
I don't post here like I used to, so maybe I just missed something, but is this nicer side of Theo freaking anyone else out? It's like he went to a inter-personal relationship seminar or something. His posts used to start with "No, it's b/c you're bad." Now they start with "On the flip side of that", which is almost straight out of my employer's "How to Resolve Team Disputes" handbook. :)


He was missing for a while and he returned not being the annoying prick he used to be. It's like he lost his virginity during his time away and stopped being unhappy grumpy nerd or something. Who cares, his new posts are better.

Insults aren't needed, especially when they're very much off-base. I lost my virginity a long time ago.


OK, now I'm worried.
____________________________
“Socialism never took root in America because the poor see themselves not as an exploited proletariat but as temporarily embarrassed millionaires.”
#32 Oct 21 2010 at 6:54 AM Rating: Excellent
****
4,056 posts
Kavekk the Ludicrous wrote:
OK, now I'm worried.


Me too. Because Theo's response showed so much restraint that I considered changing my answer from "Theo's just being a good net citizen in order to build something useful for this community" to "Theo has been snatched by pod people."
#33 Oct 21 2010 at 8:43 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,912 posts
Overlord Theophany wrote:

Insults aren't needed, especially when they're very much off-base. I lost my virginity a long time ago.


Right, allow me to rephrase it...

It looks like Theo was abducted by chicks, or aliens, or ethanol, or khappa, or something, then modified and relieved from the horrid misfortune of being who he used to be, whatever that misfortune may have been, then released.

Who cares anyway, he went from "you're an idiot" to "insults aren't needed", can't complain. For one thing, Theo saying "Insults aren't needed" deserves sig.

Edited, Oct 21st 2010 10:47am by xorq
____________________________
NOTE: I may post comments about my like/dislike/approval/disapproval of game features.
1- They are NOT a complaint. They are a perspective.
2- They are NOT advocacy. They are a perspective.

Overlord Theophany wrote:
Insults aren't needed
#34 Oct 21 2010 at 9:45 AM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
*****
11,625 posts
teacake wrote:
Me too. Because Theo's response showed so much restraint that I considered changing my answer from "Theo's just being a good net citizen in order to build something useful for this community" to "Theo has been snatched by pod people."


I assumed he meant it was one of those ice cream + pie things. You know, not necessary, but a delicious bonus nonetheless... Smiley: wink
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#35 Oct 21 2010 at 10:35 AM Rating: Excellent
****
4,056 posts
someproteinguy wrote:
I assumed he meant it was one of those ice cream + pie things. You know, not necessary, but a delicious bonus nonetheless


Wait a minute. Am I to assume from this that you feel ice cream is not necessary for pie?

I'm willing to respect each other's differences up to a point, but if you can't at least insist on whipped cream, we're in a fight.
#36 Oct 21 2010 at 10:42 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,912 posts
teacake wrote:
someproteinguy wrote:
I assumed he meant it was one of those ice cream + pie things. You know, not necessary, but a delicious bonus nonetheless


Wait a minute. Am I to assume from this that you feel ice cream is not necessary for pie?

I'm willing to respect each other's differences up to a point, but if you can't at least insist on whipped cream, we're in a fight.


Who cares about pie? Icecream is everything.
____________________________
NOTE: I may post comments about my like/dislike/approval/disapproval of game features.
1- They are NOT a complaint. They are a perspective.
2- They are NOT advocacy. They are a perspective.

Overlord Theophany wrote:
Insults aren't needed
#37 Oct 21 2010 at 10:43 AM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
*****
11,625 posts
teacake wrote:
someproteinguy wrote:

I assumed he meant it was one of those ice cream + pie things. You know, not necessary, but a delicious bonus nonetheless



Wait a minute. Am I to assume from this that you feel ice cream is not necessary for pie?

I'm willing to respect each other's differences up to a point, but if you can't at least insist on whipped cream, we're in a fight.


I can concede to whipped cream in the interest of harmony. However some pies already come with an abundance of creamy or frothy toppings, and I wouldn't want to over do it.
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#38 Oct 21 2010 at 11:21 AM Rating: Excellent
****
4,056 posts
someproteinguy wrote:

I can concede to whipped cream in the interest of harmony. However some pies already come with an abundance of creamy or frothy toppings, and I wouldn't want to over do it.


You're absolutely right. Meringue and cream pies do not require whipped cream. I was thinking more of fruit pies and of course, pecan.

Pumpkin pie is vegetable pie and therefore not actually pie at all, but a side dish, so no rules apply to it. Largely because IDGAF what you do with it as long as you don't pass it to me.
#39 Oct 21 2010 at 11:43 AM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
*****
11,625 posts
teacake wrote:
You're absolutely right. Meringue and cream pies do not require whipped cream. I was thinking more of fruit pies and of course, pecan.


Well certainly, when there's apple pie, it screams, I scream, we all scream for ice cream. But less so with coconut cream.

teacake wrote:
Pumpkin pie is vegetable pie and therefore not actually pie at all, but a side dish, so no rules apply to it. Largely because IDGAF what you do with it as long as you don't pass it to me.


The pie isn't a pie?! My god! Smiley: yikes

Then am I to assume you haven't attempted to combine your love of broccoli with your love of pie yet?
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#40 Oct 21 2010 at 12:21 PM Rating: Excellent
****
4,056 posts
someproteinguy wrote:

The pie isn't a pie?! My god! Smiley: yikes


That's right, the pie is a lie.

someproteinguy wrote:

Then am I to assume you haven't attempted to combine your love of broccoli with your love of pie yet?


I don't actually love broccoli, but I love cheese, and where you find one you can generally find the other, especially in a pie.

It's the passing off of vegetable pie as dessert that I object to. Savory pies are an entirely different matter, and almost universally delicious. I never understood why people complain about British food. Steak and kidney pie! Pasties! Everywhere you look, someone has taken meat and encased it in delicious buttery crust. Britain wins.



What? Oh. Right. PVP. Um. Go Horde!
#41 Oct 21 2010 at 2:47 PM Rating: Decent
Does it from behind...
Avatar
*****
13,048 posts
xorq wrote:
Overlord Theophany wrote:

Insults aren't needed, especially when they're very much off-base. I lost my virginity a long time ago.


Right, allow me to rephrase it...

It looks like Theo was abducted by chicks, or aliens, or ethanol, or khappa, or something, then modified and relieved from the horrid misfortune of being who he used to be, whatever that misfortune may have been, then released.

Who cares anyway, he went from "you're an idiot" to "insults aren't needed", can't complain. For one thing, Theo saying "Insults aren't needed" deserves sig.

You could at least put my Overlord title in there. I earned that! Smiley: frown
____________________________
The·oph·a·ny (thē-ŏf'ə-nē)
An appearance of a god to a human; a divine manifestation.
Rogue Hunter
#42 Oct 25 2010 at 12:41 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,912 posts
I tried, but it's not showing.

Don't worry, you're not going to notice it much, my WoW account expired recently and I'm going to take a break for a while, I think Feb would be a healthy date to shoot for, so I'm not likely to produce many posts for a while. Have fun.
____________________________
NOTE: I may post comments about my like/dislike/approval/disapproval of game features.
1- They are NOT a complaint. They are a perspective.
2- They are NOT advocacy. They are a perspective.

Overlord Theophany wrote:
Insults aren't needed
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 3 All times are in CDT
Anonymous Guests (3)