Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Computer-Specific LagFollow

#1 Jul 07 2013 at 8:08 PM Rating: Decent
2 posts
So on my desktop I lag and disconnect a lot. But when i'm on my laptop right next to my desktop, I have no internet problems at all. Any ideas what the problem is or what I can do to fix this?
#2 Jul 07 2013 at 8:23 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
***
1,949 posts
General advice is to check your addons and do the usual computer maintenance (defrag and malware check). Other than that, you haven't really given much info so we'd just be guessing.
____________________________
In Chinese: glasses are yanjing; eyes are yanjing, and the beer of Beijing is Yanjing. When speaking, the difference is in the tones. Did I just order a glass of beer or a glass of eyes?
#3 Jul 07 2013 at 8:40 PM Rating: Decent
2 posts
Rhodekylle wrote:
General advice is to check your addons and do the usual computer maintenance (defrag and malware check). Other than that, you haven't really given much info so we'd just be guessing.


Thanks for such a quick response. How do I do a defrag and malware check? What info do you need?

Here is what I posed on the WOW forums.
-What kind of graphics card do you have? Also how much RAM? If these components aren't beefy enough they'll cause lag even with a decent connection.

Not sure, how do I check on Windows 8? It's a couple month old Asus at a decent price point, so I suspect that it is sufficient on graphics and RAM, but I might be wrong.

-Need to know your specs, mate.

Specs: Asus Brand Desktop PC
AMD FX(tm)-4300 Quad-Core Processor 3.80 GHz
RAM: 8.00 GB
System type: 64-bit OS, x64-based processor

-Do both connect to the internet in the same way? (ie: is one wireless and the other wired?)

Right now my desktop is wired, and my laptop is wireless. However, I have put my desktop on wireless and the problem was still the same.

-Have you updated all drivers on your desktop recently?

No, I don't think so. How do I do that? I have an Asus and Windows 8.

-Perhaps your network adapter on the desktop is going bad. Do you get disconnected doing things other than WoW?

Every once in a while when my internet is acting up on WOW and I try and go to something on Google Chrome it won't connect. But I don't think I have any issues otherwise for the most part. That is, nothing noticeable at least.

What other information do you guys need?

Another thing, it only happens occasionally. I'll go a couple of days without any problems then 3 hours being extremely laggy with lots of disconnects. I'll notice that my lag is around 1000 or even higher for both computer and server on my deksop and in the 60s for both on my laptop.

Edited, Jul 7th 2013 10:41pm by Reksyy

Edited, Jul 7th 2013 10:45pm by Reksyy
#4 Jul 08 2013 at 3:15 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,949 posts
Reksyy wrote:
Thanks for such a quick response. How do I do a defrag and malware check? What info do you need?


Google Malwarebytes, Spywareblaster and AVG for very basic malware protection.
Defraggler used to be decent for defragmentation.

You'll probably get more detailed information from the computer hardware and troubleshooting forum. While you're on Google, read up on how WOW causes some systems to run too hot and how to fix it.

____________________________
In Chinese: glasses are yanjing; eyes are yanjing, and the beer of Beijing is Yanjing. When speaking, the difference is in the tones. Did I just order a glass of beer or a glass of eyes?
#5 Jul 08 2013 at 5:32 AM Rating: Good
***
2,746 posts
Not to offend the OP, but I remember the ole days when gamers required some basic computer skills and knowledge to actually play games, and when problems arose, many of the simpler problems could be resolved by your average gamer, because it took more than just gaming skills to do actual gaming.

Nowadays, with everything working so smoothly (most of the time), a lot of newer/younger gamers are lacking basic computing skills to diagnose their own problems that arise while gaming on a PC.

Again, no offense to the OP, but you see this kind of thing in gaming forums all the time -- gamers not knowing how to do routine tasks like updating driver files and/or proper Troubleshooting skills.

Also to the OP: try using the Command Prompt (found in the start menu or by typing "cmd" in the Run box) to Ping google while you are having the issue by typing "ping www.google.com -n 20" (the -n 20 is optional; default is only 5 pings I like to do 20 for a better test result) .... I know you said Chrome won't connect, but Ping will tell you whether you're having an unstable connection, or simply a too slow connection or no connection at all.
#6 Jul 08 2013 at 3:33 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
530 posts
Rhodekylle wrote:
Reksyy wrote:
Thanks for such a quick response. How do I do a defrag and malware check? What info do you need?


Google Malwarebytes, Spywareblaster and AVG Avast for very basic malware protection.
Defraggler used to be decent for defragmentation.

You'll probably get more detailed information from the computer hardware and troubleshooting forum. While you're on Google, read up on how WOW causes some systems to run too hot and how to fix it.



I believe Avast was rated better by users, on here, than AVG. Actually I think it was a post on ZAM somewhere because I didn't switch to Avast until after I started playing WoW and discovered this forum.
____________________________
i'm not saying, i'm just saying
_________________________
Babu Voyvoda - Hyur Midlander
White Mage
#7 Jul 09 2013 at 12:30 PM Rating: Excellent
***
2,746 posts
ACLinjury wrote:
Rhodekylle wrote:
Reksyy wrote:
Thanks for such a quick response. How do I do a defrag and malware check? What info do you need?


Google Malwarebytes, Spywareblaster and AVG Avast for very basic malware protection.
Defraggler used to be decent for defragmentation.

You'll probably get more detailed information from the computer hardware and troubleshooting forum. While you're on Google, read up on how WOW causes some systems to run too hot and how to fix it.



I believe Avast was rated better by users, on here, than AVG. Actually I think it was a post on ZAM somewhere because I didn't switch to Avast until after I started playing WoW and discovered this forum.


I've heard that MSE is also a fairly good alternative, which surprises me.

I've been using it for awhile now, and it runs seamlessly with the OS and updates itself. It is running away in the background and you never really notice it. Its just......there. Doing what it should be doing, without popping up annoying "Want me to update NOW!?" messages, or popping up a "Download the newest version NAO!" every year.

It just.......runs and does its job like a good little AV.

Nothing fancy, just... antivirus protection.

It is also a lot better on conserving resources, too.
#8 Jul 09 2013 at 4:54 PM Rating: Excellent
****
7,806 posts
Lyrailis wrote:
ACLinjury wrote:
Rhodekylle wrote:
Reksyy wrote:
Thanks for such a quick response. How do I do a defrag and malware check? What info do you need?


Google Malwarebytes, Spywareblaster and AVG Avast for very basic malware protection.
Defraggler used to be decent for defragmentation.

You'll probably get more detailed information from the computer hardware and troubleshooting forum. While you're on Google, read up on how WOW causes some systems to run too hot and how to fix it.



I believe Avast was rated better by users, on here, than AVG. Actually I think it was a post on ZAM somewhere because I didn't switch to Avast until after I started playing WoW and discovered this forum.


I've heard that MSE is also a fairly good alternative, which surprises me.

I've been using it for awhile now, and it runs seamlessly with the OS and updates itself. It is running away in the background and you never really notice it. Its just......there. Doing what it should be doing, without popping up annoying "Want me to update NOW!?" messages, or popping up a "Download the newest version NAO!" every year.

It just.......runs and does its job like a good little AV.

Nothing fancy, just... antivirus protection.

It is also a lot better on conserving resources, too.

MSE is rated best or second best depending on which review site you prefer. I switched over about a year ago, and I couldn't be happier.
____________________________
People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome. ~River Tam

Sedao
#9 Jul 09 2013 at 5:03 PM Rating: Good
***
2,172 posts
Kastigir wrote:

MSE is rated best or second best depending on which review site you prefer. I switched over about a year ago, and I couldn't be happier.


This I never really used to run virus detection because it was so intrusive. MSE is nice I never have to worry about it and it setup itself. And Its small IIRC, honestly I havent worried about it in so long that I forget i have it.

Edited, Jul 9th 2013 6:04pm by BeanX
____________________________
What I Play
Recently Played
#10 Jul 09 2013 at 8:13 PM Rating: Good
***
2,746 posts
Quote:
MSE is rated best or second best depending on which review site you prefer. I switched over about a year ago, and I couldn't be happier.


Which is so freaking strange considering the wide-spread security issues with Windows and IE both, lol.

Who'da thunk it that M$ would come up with one of the best Free AV software around?

But then, it integrates with the OS flawlessly, because they kinda made both programs, lol. And they've got lots and lots of resources available to make something like that, and make it awesome.
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 46 All times are in CDT
Anonymous Guests (46)