Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Dumb travel question...Follow

#1 Jan 22 2013 at 12:02 PM Rating: Good
Sage
***
1,264 posts
Okay, this is a stupid question, but I was always told the only stupid question is the one that isn't asked.

I haven't played Alliance in quite some time. Messing around with a new Alliance DK. Is the boat from Stormwind the only way to get to Kalimdor? Is Darnassus the only access point for Alliance on Kalimdor? (and Exodar, but that's just as far) I used to use Theramore, but that's out now, right?

I'm just trying to figure out some convenient ways to move around. Eastern Kingdoms is pretty easy. DK portal to Ebon Hold for north part. Hearthstone is set to Dalaran, so I can get to Stormwind, or Ironforge, easy enough. It's just the Kalimdor stuff that seems hard to get to.

Any tips on Alliance travel to Kalimdor?

Thanks.
#2 Jan 22 2013 at 12:25 PM Rating: Excellent
Annoying Ass
ZAM Administrator
Avatar
*****
12,008 posts
azwing wrote:
Okay, this is a stupid question, but I was always told the only stupid question is the one that isn't asked.

I haven't played Alliance in quite some time. Messing around with a new Alliance DK. Is the boat from Stormwind the only way to get to Kalimdor? Is Darnassus the only access point for Alliance on Kalimdor? (and Exodar, but that's just as far) I used to use Theramore, but that's out now, right?

I'm just trying to figure out some convenient ways to move around. Eastern Kingdoms is pretty easy. DK portal to Ebon Hold for north part. Hearthstone is set to Dalaran, so I can get to Stormwind, or Ironforge, easy enough. It's just the Kalimdor stuff that seems hard to get to.

Any tips on Alliance travel to Kalimdor?

Thanks.

Off the top of my head, getting to Kalimdor;
Booty Bay boat to Ratchet.
Caverns of Time portal from Dalaran (easy for us with the teleport ring)
Druid Teleport Moonglade spell
Stormwind boat (which you mentioned)
Stormwind portal to Uldum - need to be like 83 or so, I think
Portal shards from the Tillers farm (random city teleport, only usable from Halfhill, and requires you to grow the shards)

... those are all that come to mind. Unfortunately there seems to be no quick SW --> center of Kalimdor portal that comes to mind.

Edited, Jan 24th 2013 8:17am by LockeColeMA
____________________________
Retired News Writer for the ZAM Network
WoW - Aureliano the Insane - level 90 Druid on Sen'Jin
Nanaoki - level 90 Mage on Sen'Jin
#3 Jan 22 2013 at 12:35 PM Rating: Excellent
Sage
***
1,264 posts
Thanks.

I was forgetting the BB to Ratchet one, even though I just used it two days ago, LOL.

Biggest thing I'm finding out is that travel below max level is a little more challenging. Especially since I don't have Old World flying yet. All the quick and easy jumps are out. It's back to old school flight paths, something I rarely, if ever, do on any toon with flying mounts. But hey, at least the flights don't take 20+ minutes like the old days. I can remember starting flights, going to take a shower, and coming back still in flight. Now, that's old school :-).
#4 Jan 22 2013 at 12:39 PM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
*****
12,004 posts
Ugh.

Yeah the alliance characters I leveled through Kalimdor were ones that had a TP of some sort if at all possible. Hearthstone in Un'goro, and port myself back to civilization... Smiley: lol

Not sure I want to imagine life without a Menethil boat... Smiley: frown
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#5 Jan 22 2013 at 6:02 PM Rating: Excellent
***
1,877 posts
You could always set your hearth to Dalaran. That way you have an instant port to CoT and that is a short run to a flight master in Gadget or the quest hub in the south.
____________________________
#swaggerjacker
#6 Jan 22 2013 at 10:53 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
736 posts
Or the random portal location Naruu doohickey from archeology.
____________________________
Skywall Horde:
Jebek, Orc Hunter
Missarthas, Belf DK


"Live life like a dog ... if you can't eat it or hump it, **** on it and walk away.
#7 Jan 23 2013 at 7:13 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,060 posts
If you set your hearth in Shrine of the Seven Stars, you'll have access to portals to every Alliance city, as well as the rest of the handy things cities have (though AH is engineer only).
#8 Jan 23 2013 at 7:58 AM Rating: Excellent
Ghost in the Machine
Avatar
******
36,199 posts
Shrine of Seven Stars is located in Pandaland, as far as I know, which a level 50-60 Death Knight might have trouble accessing. Smiley: tongue
____________________________
Please "talk up" if your comprehension white-shifts. I will use simple-happy language-words to help you understand.
#9 Jan 23 2013 at 8:41 AM Rating: Excellent
Annoying Ass
ZAM Administrator
Avatar
*****
12,008 posts
Mazra wrote:
Shrine of Seven Stars is located in Pandaland, as far as I know, which a level 50-60 Death Knight might have trouble accessing. Smiley: tongue

Not positive, but it might be like when people set their hearthstone at Shattrath back in TBC; you needed to be 58 to enter Outlands through the Dark Portal, but a warlock could summon you there at any level. If it's still possible to do that in Pandaria, that could indeed be the best option still.
____________________________
Retired News Writer for the ZAM Network
WoW - Aureliano the Insane - level 90 Druid on Sen'Jin
Nanaoki - level 90 Mage on Sen'Jin
#10 Jan 23 2013 at 9:47 AM Rating: Good
Ghost in the Machine
Avatar
******
36,199 posts
It's not really worth the trouble, though, is it? You leave the DK starting area at, what, level 55? That's 3-5 levels from Outland. Do Swamp of Sorrows until you outlevel the quests, then move over to Blasted Lands until level 60. Throw in a couple of dungeon runs to speed up the process.

It's not really worth going to Kalimdor as a Death Knight. The time it would take to get there could be spent on a dungeon run (in LBRS/HBRS), which would net you almost a full level with the dungeon quests there. It certainly wouldn't be worth the time getting a Warlock to summon you to Pandaria just so you can port around more easily in Kalimdor.

If hellbent on going to Kalimdor, just sail there, take a gryphon, watch some YouTube while flying (turn on background sounds) and go do the leveling thing. No reason to port back and forth for 5 levels. You get spells and such automatically now, so you only need to come up for air if you get lonely.
____________________________
Please "talk up" if your comprehension white-shifts. I will use simple-happy language-words to help you understand.
#11 Jan 23 2013 at 11:16 AM Rating: Good
Sage
***
1,264 posts
Mazra wrote:
It's not really worth going to Kalimdor as a Death Knight.

Normally, I'd completely agree with you. In this case, however, leveling is not really my primary goal at all. I made this DK on a low pop server without CRZ specifically to pet hunt. As part of this, I want/need to be able to get to parts of Kalimdor. It's already paying dividends. One example. I was in Feralas this morning. Ran by the Yeti cave to try upgrade my Stunted Yeti to a rare. On my normal server, I'd be lucky if there was a single spawn. This morning on the DK's server, I had the place to myself, there were at least a dozen spawns, and I was able to do multiple battles before I found the rare.
#12 Jan 23 2013 at 12:51 PM Rating: Good
Ghost in the Machine
Avatar
******
36,199 posts
Then I'd go with the above suggestion of getting a Warlock to summon you to Shrine of Seven Stars. Smiley: smile
____________________________
Please "talk up" if your comprehension white-shifts. I will use simple-happy language-words to help you understand.
#13 Jan 23 2013 at 6:43 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
***
1,764 posts
azwing wrote:
Mazra wrote:
It's not really worth going to Kalimdor as a Death Knight.

Normally, I'd completely agree with you. In this case, however, leveling is not really my primary goal at all. I made this DK on a low pop server without CRZ specifically to pet hunt. As part of this, I want/need to be able to get to parts of Kalimdor. It's already paying dividends. One example. I was in Feralas this morning. Ran by the Yeti cave to try upgrade my Stunted Yeti to a rare. On my normal server, I'd be lucky if there was a single spawn. This morning on the DK's server, I had the place to myself, there were at least a dozen spawns, and I was able to do multiple battles before I found the rare.

In that case, I would still get to 60 for Azeroth flying. Also, there are low-pop servers without CRZ?
____________________________
Dread Lörd Kaolian wrote:
As a forum admin, you... see things. Things that you can never unsee. Things that make you fervently wish to protect other people from ever seeing those things. This is why forum admins are sometimes cranky.
#14 Jan 24 2013 at 5:25 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,060 posts
You can go to Shrine at lvl 1 if you feel like it, you just need someone to summon/port you there, which is easy enough to do considering it gives you access to pretty much everywhere you'll need to go, or close to it.
#15 Jan 24 2013 at 7:18 AM Rating: Excellent
Annoying Ass
ZAM Administrator
Avatar
*****
12,008 posts
AstarintheDruid wrote:
azwing wrote:
Mazra wrote:
It's not really worth going to Kalimdor as a Death Knight.

Normally, I'd completely agree with you. In this case, however, leveling is not really my primary goal at all. I made this DK on a low pop server without CRZ specifically to pet hunt. As part of this, I want/need to be able to get to parts of Kalimdor. It's already paying dividends. One example. I was in Feralas this morning. Ran by the Yeti cave to try upgrade my Stunted Yeti to a rare. On my normal server, I'd be lucky if there was a single spawn. This morning on the DK's server, I had the place to myself, there were at least a dozen spawns, and I was able to do multiple battles before I found the rare.

In that case, I would still get to 60 for Azeroth flying. Also, there are low-pop servers without CRZ?

IIRC, Venture Co - US and Earthen Circle - EU are both non-CRZ right now. I've read posts by several people who roll on there to find the Scourged Whelpling, etc.
____________________________
Retired News Writer for the ZAM Network
WoW - Aureliano the Insane - level 90 Druid on Sen'Jin
Nanaoki - level 90 Mage on Sen'Jin
#16 Jan 24 2013 at 10:39 AM Rating: Good
Sage
***
1,264 posts
Yep, I rolled on Venture Company (RP-PVP realm). It has no CRZ. It's actually a medium population server, I think, but compared to realms with CRZ, it seems empty. I haven't even been ganked once. I probably just jinxed myself, but that seems like a good measure of the population level.

edit - And, good idea about the flying. Only trick is paying for it (250 for riding plus 250 for Old World flying). It worked out okay for me not going to Outland, though. I was running around leveling herbing and mining. I made enough gold selling the low level stuff to afford the flying and then some. It's actually been really fun being on a server with only one toon and no sugar daddy.

Edited, Jan 24th 2013 9:43am by azwing
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 49 All times are in CST
Mazra, TherealLogros, Anonymous Guests (47)