Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Worth playing anymore?Follow

#1 Oct 05 2012 at 3:47 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
*
138 posts
Hey everyone,

I've not played this game since just before burning crusade came out, I think when the max level was 60? I'm just wondering is it worth coming back now? Like starting fresh? If so I have a few questions;

Which world/realm is best suited for me? I'm from Europe and I like PVE.

Are there any guilds recruiting within the world suggested?

Would I need to buy all the expansions, (I have the money too), just wondering if they are needed.

I like rogue/thief type classes how has Rogue changed since vanilla wow?

I'm more of a casual gamer nowadays, is it possible to log in do a few quests and then log out? Or does it take time to do things nowadays? I'm coming from ffxi/ffxiv where everything takes time, and I don't want to waste countless hours waiting lol.

Thanks in advance!

2008
#2 Oct 05 2012 at 5:18 AM Rating: Good
Sage
**
678 posts
The game has changed sooooo much since when I joined, and that was mid TBC, coming from Vanilla ... well, you're probably in for a treat.

To fully enjoy the game I'd say, yeah, you need to buy all the expansions, like always, it's at top level where most stuff happens,

As for hoping in and out, LFR is your friend and once you are geared you can jump in, down a boss, and jump out.
#3 Oct 05 2012 at 5:52 AM Rating: Good
You can play for free up to level 20*
*some other limits too, and it may be higher now. You can download the Free WoW after you create a Battle.net account.

I play FFXI still here and there, I've never played a WoW where it was anything like FFXI (I started right before Sunwell). IE: Not logging in and unable to do anything at any time (so many hours wasted sitting around waiting in FFXI).

You would only need to get all the expansions if you wish to level past 60.
____________________________
Sandinmyeye | |Tsukaremash*ta | Dihydrogen Monoxide (it kills)
#4 Oct 05 2012 at 11:34 AM Rating: Excellent
Sage
***
2,157 posts
I just want to toss in here, I found out recently as I was helping a friend setup a new account Vanilla, TBC, and Wrath are all part of the Battle chest. So atm If you want all the expansions you need to get Battle chest, Cata, and MoP. If you just want to try it without breaking the bank, you can pick up just the Battle chest and that allows you to play levels 1-80. Also I believe they made it where you can roll any race with just basic WoW so you don't have to worry about not being able to play a Worgen, Goblin, Panda. I'm not sure if the Monk class would be locked without MoP though.

Some things to mention If your considering starting. Consider Recruit a Friend system if your just starting up, Benefits are triple xp 1-80, and some other benefits. Even if you don't have an RL friend that plays maybe seeing if anyone on this board wants to do it. It doesn't cost anything extra, and you have someone that can help you get into the game, explain systems, etc.



____________________________
What I Play
Recently Played
#5 Oct 05 2012 at 1:20 PM Rating: Good
Ghost in the Machine
Avatar
******
35,922 posts
Monk class is locked to the Mists of Pandaria expansion, as is level progression from 85-90 and the Pandaria zone.

Everything else is free for all, as far as I know.
____________________________
Please "talk up" if your comprehension white-shifts. I will use simple-happy language-words to help you understand.
#6 Oct 05 2012 at 5:19 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
174 posts
TwoDoubleOhEight wrote:
Hey everyone,

I've not played this game since just before burning crusade came out, I think when the max level was 60? I'm just wondering is it worth coming back now? Like starting fresh? If so I have a few questions;


Plenty of people think it's worth starting (and restarting). I'm certainly having fun.

TwoDoubleOhEight wrote:

Which world/realm is best suited for me? I'm from Europe and I like PVE.
Are there any guilds recruiting within the world suggested?


There's a realm choice, choose a european PVE server that isnt too full. There's a lot of cross-realm activity built in these days (though still no trading). There are always guilds recruiting - guilds can level now and gain rewards which assist all members, while the guild benefits from more members. There's a built in guild finder where guilds advertise.

TwoDoubleOhEight wrote:
I like rogue/thief type classes how has Rogue changed since vanilla wow?


Everything has changed. The talent system has had a complete overhaul, further customisation comes from 'glyphs'. But the role is much the same. My main is a rogue and he's still enjoyable to play.

Also, pet battles. Enough of a reason to rejoin in and of itself. :P

TwoDoubleOhEight wrote:
I'm more of a casual gamer nowadays, is it possible to log in do a few quests and then log out? Or does it take time to do things nowadays? I'm coming from ffxi/ffxiv where everything takes time, and I don't want to waste countless hours waiting lol.


I can't vouch for dungeon queue lengths at lower levels, but levelling is considerably faster than it once was and I've never really sat around for much (I don't raid). If you do find yourself sat around waiting, there's always pet battles to keep you busy :)

#7 Oct 06 2012 at 3:49 AM Rating: Good
***
1,150 posts
I know that on my realm at least, up until about level 80, DPS are getting instant queues for random dungeons while Healers and Tanks are having to wait.
It is definitely worth coming back, the game simply looks stunning compared to how it used to be. The underwater region in Cataclysm is a particular favourite of mine.
____________________________
They'll rape us to death, eat our flesh and sew our skins into their clothing. And if we're very, very lucky... They'll do it in that order.
#8 Oct 06 2012 at 1:02 PM Rating: Good
Sage
**
678 posts
EbanySalamonderiel wrote:
I know that on my realm at least, up until about level 80, DPS are getting instant queues for random dungeons while Healers and Tanks are having to wait.
It is definitely worth coming back, the game simply looks stunning compared to how it used to be. The underwater region in Cataclysm is a particular favourite of mine.


I haven't had to wait more than 15 secs ever on any of my tanks. That's really, really new ...

As for realm choice, I'd go with a busy server, not overflowing (Draenor EU has loooong queues I hear), but high on population. I'd rather have to wait a couple of mins, which I've only very rarely had to do, than log to a dead server (Ghostlands Horde-side to name one I know and I'm fond off).
#9 Oct 07 2012 at 1:38 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
5,587 posts
Why not?

Me and my wife just rejoined for the new Pandaria expansion. Its always worthwhile exploring new lands, and I've yet to see an MMO with better PvP than WoW.
____________________________
my Tumblr
Pixelmon Server Info
#10 Oct 08 2012 at 5:48 AM Rating: Good
LGarth wrote:
EbanySalamonderiel wrote:
I know that on my realm at least, up until about level 80, DPS are getting instant queues for random dungeons while Healers and Tanks are having to wait.
It is definitely worth coming back, the game simply looks stunning compared to how it used to be. The underwater region in Cataclysm is a particular favourite of mine.


I haven't had to wait more than 15 secs ever on any of my tanks. That's really, really new ...


Lucky you. I had no problems when I leveled Warrior during end of LK (up to 80). 1-80 was done over a 2-3 week play time. 80-85 didn't take long, but I quested and ran dungeons (for gears).
We are in week...3? now of MoP. My Brewmaster Monk, the only class and character I've been really playing, just hit 70 last night. At about level 20-25 I noticed I was waiting 5min, few levels more, few more minutes. I've now sat in queue for up to 15min as a tank with a healer.
I basically was able to level warrior once he hit 15 all the way to 80 with out doing nothing more then dungeons (the Quest NPCs were not in the Dungeons yet).
I have been going around on monk and questing while waiting this time around. So I envy everyone who is still getting instant queues.
____________________________
Sandinmyeye | |Tsukaremash*ta | Dihydrogen Monoxide (it kills)
#11 Oct 11 2012 at 4:10 PM Rating: Good
*
161 posts
You can easily log in, do a few quests in 5-10 minutes, then log back out.

Or you can log in, sign up for a dungeon or a battleground, get in it a few minutes later, and finish it in around 30 minutes.
#12 Oct 18 2012 at 9:34 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
799 posts
Sandinmygum the Stupendous wrote:

Lucky you. I had no problems when I leveled Warrior during end of LK (up to 80). 1-80 was done over a 2-3 week play time. 80-85 didn't take long, but I quested and ran dungeons (for gears).
We are in week...3? now of MoP. My Brewmaster Monk, the only class and character I've been really playing, just hit 70 last night. At about level 20-25 I noticed I was waiting 5min, few levels more, few more minutes. I've now sat in queue for up to 15min as a tank with a healer.
I basically was able to level warrior once he hit 15 all the way to 80 with out doing nothing more then dungeons (the Quest NPCs were not in the Dungeons yet).
I have been going around on monk and questing while waiting this time around. So I envy everyone who is still getting instant queues.


The issue here is not so much that queues are long in MoP, but rather that you're in the middle of the leveling rush with ALL of those Panda Monks.

A guildy the other day sent a message "oh, look a Panda monk... who'd have thought". Which I think sort of points to a (maybe) temporary over-abundance of monk-class toons?
____________________________
FAQ2.0 wrote:
Most people consider a rouge to be over-powdered.

Guild: "That Kind of Orc" Server: The Scryers
#13 Oct 18 2012 at 7:16 PM Rating: Excellent
***
2,628 posts
Oh, how much WoW has changed since Vanilla....

For the better!

OP, I definitely suggest you should try going in again.

If the thought of trying a new character doesn't scare you off, I recommend you try a new character rather than trying to get your old one up and running again, though you could start on the same server and keep your old one around until you level from 1 to 60 so you have a better idea of how things go in the game now.

Just jumping in at 60 might make you feel a bit disoriented; you might want to start from Level 1 to re-acquaint yourself with the game. Keep the lv60 around for farming and gold making or something, I dunno.

Anyways, the game is much smoother these days, and there's a lot less grind than there was in Vanilla. Leveling 1-60 is easy now; it was nothing like it was back then, especially if you were a Mage, Rogue, or Warrior. Every class except Hunter has a self-heal (Marksman hunters have one I think?) so you don't need to constantly eat food and bandage like you did back in Vanilla. Pulling two mobs at once isn't almost guaranteed death for a leveling rogue/warrior like it was in Vanilla (unless you had better than average quested gear), and mob kills are a lot faster, and each class has more tools than they did back in Vanilla.

Quest rewards are much better now, gone are the days you'd do 20+ quests in a place and find nothing you can wear, gone are the quests that started in Rut'theran Village, that goes down to Gadgetzan, which then goes over to Hinterlands, then back to Rut'theran, and then to Winterspring. Quests are much more logical and well-designed, and the quest rewards are actually useful to your class, usually.

The only problem is once you hit Level 60, you're supposed to go to Outland... and suddenly, you'll find the quest rewards are poorly designed and the quests themselves will show their age. Then when you get 68, you can go to Northrend and it all gets better again.
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 84 All times are in CDT
Rhodekylle, TherealLogros, Anonymous Guests (82)