Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

A new Guild for people with social anxietyFollow

#1 May 31 2012 at 1:24 PM Rating: Good
1 post
I want to spread the word about a guild I joined in which the people are amazing! Check this out from our awesome guild master. Hope to see you join!


<Swords for Everyone> on Wyrmrest Accord (Horde)

WHO WE ARE
We are a guild for those with social anxiety. Our goal is to create a no-pressure, judgement-free environment that enables members to explore aspects of the game that they have previously been kept from experiencing. Nothing is worse than not being able to do something in WoW (or any video game, or real life, for that matter) because you’re just too afraid or because you don't have anyone to turn to. Our intent is to establish an atmosphere, and even more so, a support network, that empowers those who are paralyzed by social situations and allows them to come, play, and be as they are.

WHO WE'RE LOOKING FOR
Anyone who has social anxiety (or a similar social disorder) who wants an understanding community to play WoW with. If you're someone who:

is terrified of public chat channels, including Vent (Mumble, Teamspeak, etc.)
starts hyperventilating when a dungeon or BG queue pops
has avoided large chunks of game content because of other players
immediately logs off for the rest of the day (or week) after a wipe because you fear that it was your fault
is nervous and sweaty just thinking about applying to this guild
experiences any other irrational (but entirely understandable) anxiety because of interactions with other players

then you're probably a perfect fit. There are no specific requirements to join, aside from a completed application.

IF YOU'RE INTERESTED IN JOINING
Contact Cantafrond in-game or visit our website (swordsforeveryone.enjin.com) on Enjin
#2 Jun 01 2012 at 7:37 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
3,677 posts
Guild chat will be pretty quiet. :P

My anxiety's not that bad, though when friends throw parties I try to show up early, say my hellos, and duck out when it hits my critical mass of about six people. Good on ya for putting together a support group.
____________________________
Beohrn -- 85 druid
Brandmanen -- 85 Hunter

"Skill is a measure of how fast a player can turn experience into competence." -- Anedris, EJ forums
"The warrior acts, the fool reacts"

Please pardon the ego, it keeps getting stuck in doorways. I'm working on it.
#3 Jun 01 2012 at 8:13 PM Rating: Good
Ghost in the Machine
Avatar
******
36,218 posts
I'm the opposite of social anxious, I guess. I prefer larger numbers as it allows me to blend into the background more easily.

I prefer to think of it as my latent ninja genes rather than a disorder.
____________________________
Please "talk up" if your comprehension white-shifts. I will use simple-happy language-words to help you understand.
#4 Jun 02 2012 at 2:30 PM Rating: Excellent
*****
19,984 posts
I'm perfectly fine in social situations--I don't try to blend in or stand out. I can act perfectly normal.

Which is why it always surprises people who know me when they find out how hard I work to avoid having to go to such events, and how much I hate it when I can't. For instance, my mother keeps asking me when I want my graduation party for college to be. And I keep avoiding the question, because I literally can't think of a worse **** than to have a ton of people at an event for my benefit. I don't care that I'd get a lot of money out of it, because I'd happily pay that much not to see my extended family.
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#5 Jun 02 2012 at 6:13 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
***
1,882 posts
Hidani wrote:
I want to spread the word about a guild I joined in which the people are amazing! Check this out from our awesome guild master. Hope to see you join!


<Swords for Everyone> on Wyrmrest Accord (Horde)

WHO WE ARE
We are a guild for those with social anxiety. Our goal is to create a no-pressure, judgement-free environment that enables members to explore aspects of the game that they have previously been kept from experiencing. Nothing is worse than not being able to do something in WoW (or any video game, or real life, for that matter) because you’re just too afraid or because you don't have anyone to turn to. Our intent is to establish an atmosphere, and even more so, a support network, that empowers those who are paralyzed by social situations and allows them to come, play, and be as they are.

WHO WE'RE LOOKING FOR
Anyone who has social anxiety (or a similar social disorder) who wants an understanding community to play WoW with. If you're someone who:

is terrified of public chat channels, including Vent (Mumble, Teamspeak, etc.)
starts hyperventilating when a dungeon or BG queue pops
has avoided large chunks of game content because of other players
immediately logs off for the rest of the day (or week) after a wipe because you fear that it was your fault
is nervous and sweaty just thinking about applying to this guild
experiences any other irrational (but entirely understandable) anxiety because of interactions with other players

then you're probably a perfect fit. There are no specific requirements to join, aside from a completed application.

IF YOU'RE INTERESTED IN JOINING
Contact Cantafrond in-game or visit our website (swordsforeveryone.enjin.com) on Enjin



A neat idea. Kudos to you. As someone who is coping with avoidant personality disorder, I can understand the need for this. Although, online I've never really had to deal with it, I'm sure there are those who don't have the means to cope with it. There are a lot of stigmas that come with a social phobia, especially in the online community (which is ironic considering many online communities are made up of people who are quietly dealing with a social phobia themselves.) A lot of people think that social phobias are for people who are socially defective, lacking, and blame the person for what some can't understand. And really many social anxiety disorders really are not something that is decided, but just happens like many other mental illnesses.

/soapbox

So, I tip my hat for the effort.
____________________________
Painda - 90 Monk <IXOYE> (Christian guild, Medivh, US)
The Adventures of Captain Blazer - Facebook Sci-fi Story
CorpseCamp.Us - Funny, ironic, or pathetic things that happen in MMOs
"Trade Chat" wrote:
We've had talking cows from day one, and you're throwing a fit about talking panda's? Get over it.

#6 Jun 02 2012 at 7:20 PM Rating: Good
***
3,001 posts
I, myself am quite introverted.

I don't really have any disorder that was formally diagnosed (I diagnosed myself with CAPD, I'm pretty certain I have it after looking it up on wikipedia, but that's not a social/mental disorder), but yet being an introvert...

I don't have problems with online interactions, but IRL... I -hate- groups of people. I tend to just keep quiet and stay as far away from all the noise as possible (this is worsened by my CAPD; all of those voices around me make a huge garbled mess to the point I have quite the trouble understanding someone right next to me trying to talk at me if there are too many people nearby talking to each other).

But yes, kudos to the OP for trying something new. I hope it goes well for you and whatever guildmates you end up getting.
#7 Jun 03 2012 at 3:05 AM Rating: Decent
That's pretty interesting. I don't think the best cure for social anxiety is to further isolate oneself. That'll only make it worst, won't it?
____________________________
Currently playing: Diablo III, WoW, and BF2. Waiting for Uncharted 3 and Transformers Universe.
#8 Jun 03 2012 at 11:26 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
399 posts
The part I don't really get is, what's the point of a guild of players so introverted or shy that they can't/won't initiate interpersonal contact or wold not respond should someone else messages them? I don't see how a guild could be supportive of members (its primary purpose, IMO) when the members don't want to ask for or offer help. Its like trying to play a team game with all players in widely separated cubicles.


Edited, Jun 3rd 2012 1:27pm by Ollamnh
____________________________
A shot in the back saves nine.
#9 Jun 03 2012 at 11:28 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
***
1,882 posts
nosehill wrote:
That's pretty interesting. I don't think the best cure for social anxiety is to further isolate oneself. That'll only make it worst, won't it?


The fact they are joining a guild indicates they are trying to remove themselves from isolation. Otherwise, they would continue to play by themselves.

Edited, Jun 3rd 2012 1:32pm by ekaterinodar
____________________________
Painda - 90 Monk <IXOYE> (Christian guild, Medivh, US)
The Adventures of Captain Blazer - Facebook Sci-fi Story
CorpseCamp.Us - Funny, ironic, or pathetic things that happen in MMOs
"Trade Chat" wrote:
We've had talking cows from day one, and you're throwing a fit about talking panda's? Get over it.

Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 48 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (48)