It's not like SE can scrap the whole leves system since it's a big part of Eorzea's world, but seriously, we don't need more of the same, we need a little bit of everything. Currently, when I logon and see that leves have reset, I tell myself "Aww crap, I gotta waste another 2hrs on leves today". I don't think that's what I should be thinking about... and maybe it's just me, but anyway.
I'm no game designer, but here's how I imagine diversity for leves:
- Different reset timers (36hrs, weekly, monthly)
- More randomness (encounters quantity & difficulty, rare mini-bosses, rare npc appearance with side-quest)
- Different allowed time for leve completion (15mins, 30mins, 45mins, 1hr)
- Scrap the difficulty level choice, make it static on reset to force partying.
- Unique leves (one time only)
- Other types of rewards (unlock game features, dungeon access, special shops, territorial fame)
I'm sure others will have more ideas as time goes by. Feel free to share them here.