Forgive me if my solution does not work... For I do not have this problem, just guessing
You say it is after the most recent patch, So as an IT Professional, I would try some different Video Card Drivers, Or possibly a Direct X update.
Most likely (again just guessing) the patch may have changed the relationship with their software (ffxiv) and your Drivers/software.
To get a better idea, what Graphics Cards are you using. If you all have similar cards, its probably a GPU driver issue.
Let me know, and I will try to get a good solution for you.
Thanks for your advice :)
Been on a bit of a saga with this problem, many hours gone into this already. My graphics card is NVIDIA GeForce GT 220
Here's a rough itinerary of the last few hours, im on Window's Vista btw :)
1) attempted to install the current, most up to date version of directx to be told I had a newer version.
2) Installed Windows update which crashed my computer when it was installing the hotfix
3) Went onto the GeForce site here http://www.geforce.com/#/
and let it autodetect my drivers, and installed 4 different drivers/software it suggested thenr estarted my computer
4) Upon restart everything was massive (screen resolution was messed up, which I fixed), slow running and blotchy, the only other time had that problem was an old laptop.
5) Also now whenever I restart my computer a pop up comes up telling me it's unable to load the NVIDIA Display Driver and that I must update the "video BIOS for the NVIDIA GeForce GT 220"
6) FFXIV now instantly comes up "this program has stopped working" which is no surprise given the GPU is out of order completely.
I google searched he pop up and read how updating it incorrectly can mess up my gpu forever so I'm a littloe cautious.
Oh and I ran "HP Updater" which installed 2 gpu unrelated things.