Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Gather Points and Retainer ChoresFollow

#1 Jan 29 2013 at 10:08 AM Rating: Decent
**
921 posts
Saw some interesting dev posts on the lodestone:

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/59964-Personal-Gathering-Points?p=946882#post946882
Quote:

Personal Gathering Points
Wanted to provide you all a quick update regarding gathering when it comes to FFXIV: ARR.

In A Realm Reborn once you have exhausted your current gathering target, that location will disappear and a different point will appear elsewhere. Since gathering points are specific to each adventurer, you won't have to worry about another player gathering from the same point, as was the case in version 1.0.


I have mixed feelings about this but after taking mining and fishing to 50 on my own it was annoying to get to a point and have it disappear but it was also nice to "fight" for them; so I really don't know.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/46265-Retainer-Level?p=946678#post946678
Quote:
I have a small update regarding retainer levels to share with you.

Based on the feedback we collected in the past, the dev. team is looking to implement different features for your retainer as they level up. For example, we are looking into allowing retainers to perform chores, such as gathering.

As soon as we receive detailed information on leveling up your friendly caretakers and the tasks that they will be able to perform at certain levels, we will be sure to let you know!


Taking from SWTOR, interesting and if done right I think it will be a nice feature :)
____________________________
http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/story.html?story=18309
Quote:
Like Final Fantasy XI, the game specs will be extremely high for the time, but in about 5 years, an average machine can run it on max settings with little to no issues. Tanaka also expressed interest in making a benchmark program available.

FilthMcNasty wrote:
I endorse this thread.
#2 Jan 29 2013 at 10:12 AM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
Hey, this was one of the threads I was going to include in my weekly interesting threads post later to day. BACK OFF MAH SAUCE Smiley: mad
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#3 Jan 29 2013 at 10:13 AM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
Elionara wrote:
I have mixed feelings about this but after taking mining and fishing to 50 on my own it was annoying to get to a point and have it disappear but it was also nice to "fight" for them; so I really don't know.


It was only nice to fight for them if you're a *********. This is nothing but FANTASTIC news in my mind Smiley: nod
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#4 Jan 29 2013 at 10:16 AM Rating: Decent
**
921 posts
Wint wrote:
Elionara wrote:
I have mixed feelings about this but after taking mining and fishing to 50 on my own it was annoying to get to a point and have it disappear but it was also nice to "fight" for them; so I really don't know.


It was only nice to fight for them if you're a *********. This is nothing but FANTASTIC news in my mind Smiley: nod


Oh believe me I know~! lol; I have to take botanist up and I dreaded it; and my other crafting jobs... only armor is 50, carpenter is 37 I think.
____________________________
http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/story.html?story=18309
Quote:
Like Final Fantasy XI, the game specs will be extremely high for the time, but in about 5 years, an average machine can run it on max settings with little to no issues. Tanaka also expressed interest in making a benchmark program available.

FilthMcNasty wrote:
I endorse this thread.
#5 Jan 29 2013 at 11:51 AM Rating: Excellent
***
2,010 posts
It would be nice to have the retainers be more useful. I was hoping they would be like the adventuring fellows in ffxi - companion npcs that had their own personalities and could fight with you. I was disappointed that they were just bazaars. Still, that idea about having them do crafting is right out of SWTOR and I can't say I was in love with the feature there.
#6 Jan 29 2013 at 12:02 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,074 posts
If only they fight and we can use them to skillchain off of.I'll take anything but an escort mission.
____________________________





#7 Jan 29 2013 at 12:18 PM Rating: Decent
**
557 posts
Am I the only one who hates the idea of retainers who fight with you? That's precisely what turned me off of SW:TOR. It's an MMO, I can fight alongside real people, not NPCs.

If they're gathering while you're offline, that's another story.
____________________________


#8 Jan 29 2013 at 12:50 PM Rating: Good
***
2,010 posts
yfaithfully wrote:
Am I the only one who hates the idea of retainers who fight with you? That's precisely what turned me off of SW:TOR. It's an MMO, I can fight alongside real people, not NPCs.

If they're gathering while you're offline, that's another story.


did you play XI? The adventuring fellow was a really fun addition. It wasn't something that you could do 100% of the time. You completed a quest to get them, then you completed quests throughout to upgrade to getting to call them multiple times, they only stayed with you for so long before getting bored of you, and every reset you just did their main "help me" quest to get another earring to call them with.

If you hadn't had one in XI you probably wouldn't understand. It was a cool feature and it wasn't overpowered.
#9 Jan 29 2013 at 1:37 PM Rating: Good
Needs More Smut
Avatar
******
20,441 posts
They're also a lot of work. In XI, they have to be leveled up independently (mine is still only level 71.) They can only be called in certain areas (still can't summon them to Abyssea, for example.) You have little control over their actions - you basically set their class (healer, tank, pure DD) and hope they do the right thing when you need it. Their communication is basic - "I'm out of mp" or "I'm about to ditch you after this next mob, FYI." Their equipment options are super limited and getting them in the outfit you want requires some planning and effort. Mine wears the standard 75 WHM outfit now (noble's tunic, etc) and uses a squeaky hammer as his main weapon.

____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck. Once again a top bard on the server: Dardaubla 90 on 1/6/2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest on Lamia - Member of The Swarm and leader of Grammarian Tea House chat LS
#10 Jan 29 2013 at 1:37 PM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
Eh, I never really found them that fun but then again, you weren't required to use them at all so they're nice in that regard, that they aren't required for normal play.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#11 Jan 29 2013 at 2:08 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
90 posts
I would have to guess that this gathering would be a different type of gathering from the DoL types we have now.
Perhaps gardening or crystal farming will be introduced for the retainers to lvl with.

Wouldn't make sense for all this effort to be put into DoL gathering points just to have no one use them because their retainer does it all.
#12 Jan 29 2013 at 2:21 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
3,580 posts
Hmm.

I never encountered much of this fighting for nodes as a miner... Only when mining up those rare anima getting items from the mines.

Otherwise, I only really mines Iron lake for Cobalt and Coerthus for Darksteel +1s
____________________________


#13 Jan 29 2013 at 2:48 PM Rating: Good
***
2,010 posts
Louiscool wrote:
Hmm.

I never encountered much of this fighting for nodes as a miner... Only when mining up those rare anima getting items from the mines.

Otherwise, I only really mines Iron lake for Cobalt and Coerthus for Darksteel +1s


That's a direct result of the failure of the game, I imagine. With the relaunch and the improvements, you might be seeing a lot more competition at those nodes.

It's a good change regardless, though.
#14 Jan 29 2013 at 8:04 PM Rating: Good
Sage
Avatar
**
676 posts
The part about retainers being able to do different things at different levels was one thing they promised they would include but could in 1.0. this was way back before the game ever launched. At least now they will finally make good on it. Personally, I'm glad they'll go gather for me and I'm REALLY glad I wont have to fight over the gathering nodes. Perhaps once I get my mansion, I'll build enough pillars to make sure my retainer gathers +1 mats and has a good chance at getting the rare stuff as much as possible. hehehe.... They'll be my slav..er money making companions! Yeah... That's what they'll be...

EDIT: After reading Elionara's post just below mine... Awwwww!

Edited, Jan 29th 2013 9:06pm by swisa
____________________________
#15 Jan 29 2013 at 8:04 PM Rating: Decent
**
921 posts
Update from rep:
http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/46265-Retainer-Level?p=947575#post947575

Quote:
We just wanted to let you know that relying on your retainer alone to gather for you isn't going to cover all of your gathering needs. We are planning this system very carefully to ensure it does not destroy any sort of economic balance so you can rest easy in that regard.
____________________________
http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/story.html?story=18309
Quote:
Like Final Fantasy XI, the game specs will be extremely high for the time, but in about 5 years, an average machine can run it on max settings with little to no issues. Tanaka also expressed interest in making a benchmark program available.

FilthMcNasty wrote:
I endorse this thread.
#16 Jan 29 2013 at 8:10 PM Rating: Good
Needs More Smut
Avatar
******
20,441 posts
"Here, I went gathering like you said. I managed to procure five earth shards and two maple logs while you were off gallivanting!"
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck. Once again a top bard on the server: Dardaubla 90 on 1/6/2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest on Lamia - Member of The Swarm and leader of Grammarian Tea House chat LS
#17 Jan 29 2013 at 8:14 PM Rating: Good
Sage
Avatar
**
676 posts
catwho wrote:
"Here, I went gathering like you said. I managed to procure five earth shards and two maple logs while you were off gallivanting!"


"Uhh.. Thanks. I'm glad you spent all of about 5 minutes doing what I needed you to do. What'd you spend the rest of your day doing? Standing around in the market wards?"
____________________________
#18 Jan 29 2013 at 10:56 PM Rating: Good
Needs More Smut
Avatar
******
20,441 posts
swisa wrote:
catwho wrote:
"Here, I went gathering like you said. I managed to procure five earth shards and two maple logs while you were off gallivanting!"


"Uhh.. Thanks. I'm glad you spent all of about 5 minutes doing what I needed you to do. What'd you spend the rest of your day doing? Standing around in the market wards?"


"Hmph! I was doing very important accounting work. Also, I took 20% of your sales profit for your retirement fund."
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck. Once again a top bard on the server: Dardaubla 90 on 1/6/2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest on Lamia - Member of The Swarm and leader of Grammarian Tea House chat LS
#19 Jan 30 2013 at 3:05 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
3,580 posts
Torrence wrote:
Louiscool wrote:
Hmm.

I never encountered much of this fighting for nodes as a miner... Only when mining up those rare anima getting items from the mines.

Otherwise, I only really mines Iron lake for Cobalt and Coerthus for Darksteel +1s


That's a direct result of the failure of the game, I imagine. With the relaunch and the improvements, you might be seeing a lot more competition at those nodes.

It's a good change regardless, though.


It wasn't that there weren't 5-10-20 people at these nodes, it's that they let you return to a node after you went to 2 other nodes, so the smart people just found 3 nodes nearby and rotated. Also, they didn't degrade quickly, oddly, like they did in other locations.

Also, cobalt was a license to print money, they really should have changed this...
____________________________


#20 Jan 30 2013 at 5:30 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
**
807 posts
I'd rather the retainers not physically be farming nodes. It's enough cc between players.

As for battling beside you. I hoped companions fill that role and utilize a modern gambit system, with customizable gambits sets depending on the role they fill.
#21 Feb 01 2013 at 1:04 AM Rating: Good
***
3,530 posts
I'll be quite surprised if they can manage to dilute gathering any further. So gathering in 2.0 has no greater interactivity than a simple menu, you select from a list the item you want to acquire, every player has their own personal nodes, and retainers can take care of rudimentary gathering tasks. All this blandness and they don't even reward us with better visuals than the now-standard "sparkly stuff that floats up where you can grab things" animation.

If they're doing all this, are we at least no longer required to switch to these gathering "classes" as though they're "classes?" That is, why not let me simply equip a pickaxe in my ammo or accessory slot and mine as an Archer; at this point I would think class-changing in order to to right-click a node rather ridiculous.
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#22 Feb 01 2013 at 8:02 AM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
KaneKitty wrote:
I'll be quite surprised if they can manage to dilute gathering any further. So gathering in 2.0 has no greater interactivity than a simple menu, you select from a list the item you want to acquire, every player has their own personal nodes, and retainers can take care of rudimentary gathering tasks. All this blandness and they don't even reward us with better visuals than the now-standard "sparkly stuff that floats up where you can grab things" animation.

If they're doing all this, are we at least no longer required to switch to these gathering "classes" as though they're "classes?" That is, why not let me simply equip a pickaxe in my ammo or accessory slot and mine as an Archer; at this point I would think class-changing in order to to right-click a node rather ridiculous.


No it's still a class. I have a feeling there is more to be introduced, we've only seen a few levels of gathering. Personally I think this is all for the better and I will actually try something other than fishing this time around.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 139 All times are in CDT
DuoMaxwellxx, squiress, Stilivan, svlyons, Turin, Anonymous Guests (134)