Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Im still a bit confusedFollow

#1 Jan 25 2013 at 6:24 PM Rating: Decent
*
50 posts
Does anyone know if they will wipe our current toons for new game?
#2 Jan 25 2013 at 6:38 PM Rating: Good
They will not. Your character will show up on the same server you were on, same levels, though some things will be different. Your gil will be 1/10 what it was. If you had 5,000,000 gil, you now will have 500,000. They've left a disclaimer out there that some info may need to be wiped, but it shouldn't be anything drastic.

Edited, Jan 25th 2013 7:38pm by IKickYoDog
____________________________
Our team is like a flock of woodpeckers in a petrified forest. We just need to keep working and keep an eye open for opportunity.

FFXI
Toofar - Asura (Formerly of Lakshmi (Garuda)) - WHM BLM SMN
Rafoot - Asura (Formerly of Lakshmi (Garuda)) - THF SAM BRD
#3 Jan 25 2013 at 6:44 PM Rating: Good
**
362 posts
Nice to know I won't have to play the "rush for a name" game at launch...
____________________________
"Unfortunately many game companies are learning that if they can just keep you busy, you might not realize how bored you are." - Kachi
"Pride in your character will amount to nothing more than the level of intimacy I have when I order a burger from McDonald's" - Warfox07
"I find comfort food always helps when I feel like killing myself." - Papashan (FFXIV)
#4 Jan 25 2013 at 6:46 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
3,315 posts
Nope, your toon is safe.
#5 Jan 25 2013 at 7:48 PM Rating: Excellent
***
3,530 posts
They'll be deleting the toons but keeping the characters. Make sure you create the appropriate one for the desired outcome. Smiley: tongue
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#6 Jan 25 2013 at 8:16 PM Rating: Good
WooShoo wrote:
Nice to know I won't have to play the "rush for a name" game at launch...


They may be allowing a single name change when the servers open. I don't think it has been confirmed, but if they do allow you to change your name, you may want to be quick about it depending on what you have in mind.
____________________________
Our team is like a flock of woodpeckers in a petrified forest. We just need to keep working and keep an eye open for opportunity.

FFXI
Toofar - Asura (Formerly of Lakshmi (Garuda)) - WHM BLM SMN
Rafoot - Asura (Formerly of Lakshmi (Garuda)) - THF SAM BRD
#7 Jan 25 2013 at 8:28 PM Rating: Good
**
686 posts
IKickYoDog wrote:
WooShoo wrote:
Nice to know I won't have to play the "rush for a name" game at launch...


They may be allowing a single name change when the servers open. I don't think it has been confirmed, but if they do allow you to change your name, you may want to be quick about it depending on what you have in mind.


I am so happy about this because I really regret not picking SephirothCloudVII.
#8 Jan 25 2013 at 8:31 PM Rating: Default
Belcrono wrote:
IKickYoDog wrote:
WooShoo wrote:
Nice to know I won't have to play the "rush for a name" game at launch...


They may be allowing a single name change when the servers open. I don't think it has been confirmed, but if they do allow you to change your name, you may want to be quick about it depending on what you have in mind.


I am so happy about this because I really regret not picking Sephiroth CloudVII.


Fixed that for ya.
____________________________
Our team is like a flock of woodpeckers in a petrified forest. We just need to keep working and keep an eye open for opportunity.

FFXI
Toofar - Asura (Formerly of Lakshmi (Garuda)) - WHM BLM SMN
Rafoot - Asura (Formerly of Lakshmi (Garuda)) - THF SAM BRD
#9 Jan 25 2013 at 8:32 PM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
ZAM Administrator
Avatar
*****
12,361 posts
IKickYoDog wrote:
Belcrono wrote:
IKickYoDog wrote:
WooShoo wrote:
Nice to know I won't have to play the "rush for a name" game at launch...


They may be allowing a single name change when the servers open. I don't think it has been confirmed, but if they do allow you to change your name, you may want to be quick about it depending on what you have in mind.


I am so happy about this because I really regret not picking xXxxXxSephiroth CloudVIIxXxxXx.


Fixed that for ya.


Fixed that for ya.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#10 Jan 25 2013 at 8:34 PM Rating: Good
***
3,530 posts
Belcrono wrote:
IKickYoDog wrote:
...if they do allow you to change your name, you may want to be quick about it depending on what you have in mind.

I am so happy about this because I really regret not picking SephirothCloudVII.


Beat me to the punch, lol.
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#11 Jan 25 2013 at 8:48 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
598 posts
Oooh there's nothing like the FF fan who's been around so long that they can admit they don't want to be Cloud or Seph anymore. Smiley: laugh
____________________________
Sour Cherry
#13 Jan 25 2013 at 9:57 PM Rating: Good
Needs More Smut
Avatar
*****
19,494 posts
NoSephiroth in XI finally gave up the ghost last November. That was our linkshell's one founding rule.... "Your name must not be Sephiroth, nor any variation thereof. It's uncreative, and furthermore, confusing. No one wants to keep ten Sephiroths straight."
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck. Once again a top bard on the server: Dardaubla 90 on 1/6/2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest on Lamia - Member of The Swarm and the League of Extraordinary Crafters
#14 Jan 26 2013 at 2:40 AM Rating: Excellent
Guru
***
1,086 posts
catwho wrote:
NoSephiroth in XI finally gave up the ghost last November. That was our linkshell's one founding rule.... "Your name must not be Sephiroth, nor any variation thereof. It's uncreative, and furthermore, confusing. No one wants to keep ten Sephiroths straight."


I've had a Sephiroth clone I was barely acquainted with get mad at me for not remembering who he was when he returned after a year's absence. It's hard to tell Xsefirothx from Xsefirrothx and from Xsephirothx at a glance. Smiley: laugh
#15 Jan 26 2013 at 7:38 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
1,154 posts
Xoie wrote:
catwho wrote:
NoSephiroth in XI finally gave up the ghost last November. That was our linkshell's one founding rule.... "Your name must not be Sephiroth, nor any variation thereof. It's uncreative, and furthermore, confusing. No one wants to keep ten Sephiroths straight."


I've had a Sephiroth clone I was barely acquainted with get mad at me for not remembering who he was when he returned after a year's absence. It's hard to tell Xsefirothx from Xsefirrothx and from Xsephirothx at a glance. Smiley: laugh



Wait, they aren't all the same person? Didn't Jenova make like a million Sephiroth clones? For goodness sake people, is it really that fun to make the 100000 variation of a name?
#16 Jan 26 2013 at 12:29 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
***
1,079 posts
Belcrono wrote:
IKickYoDog wrote:
WooShoo wrote:
Nice to know I won't have to play the "rush for a name" game at launch...


They may be allowing a single name change when the servers open. I don't think it has been confirmed, but if they do allow you to change your name, you may want to be quick about it depending on what you have in mind.


I am so happy about this because I really regret not picking SephirothCloudVII.


What's really sad is (I just checked) there are 192 Sephiroths and 195 Clouds listed on the WoW Armory.
This doesn't include all the mangled misspellings of the names.
They are everywhere. In every game. Smiley: oyvey
____________________________
A reader lives a thousand lives, the man who never reads lives only one. - George R.R. Martin
#17 Jan 26 2013 at 12:35 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
598 posts
Vorkosigan wrote:
Belcrono wrote:
IKickYoDog wrote:
WooShoo wrote:
Nice to know I won't have to play the "rush for a name" game at launch...


They may be allowing a single name change when the servers open. I don't think it has been confirmed, but if they do allow you to change your name, you may want to be quick about it depending on what you have in mind.


I am so happy about this because I really regret not picking SephirothCloudVII.


What's really sad is (I just checked) there are 192 Sephiroths and 195 Clouds listed on the WoW Armory.
This doesn't include all the mangled misspellings of the names.
They are everywhere. In every game. Smiley: oyvey


"And so does the prophecy come, where he who is known as Cloudiroth shall arise, his singular domination above all VII fanism, the chosen one to meet Legolis369Arrows in a pvp match above all others. Lo, how the rpg world trembled".
____________________________
Sour Cherry
#18 Jan 26 2013 at 3:00 PM Rating: Good
Guru
***
1,086 posts
ShindaUsagi wrote:
Vorkosigan wrote:
Belcrono wrote:
IKickYoDog wrote:
WooShoo wrote:
Nice to know I won't have to play the "rush for a name" game at launch...


They may be allowing a single name change when the servers open. I don't think it has been confirmed, but if they do allow you to change your name, you may want to be quick about it depending on what you have in mind.


I am so happy about this because I really regret not picking SephirothCloudVII.


What's really sad is (I just checked) there are 192 Sephiroths and 195 Clouds listed on the WoW Armory.
This doesn't include all the mangled misspellings of the names.
They are everywhere. In every game. Smiley: oyvey


"And so does the prophecy come, where he who is known as Cloudiroth shall arise, his singular domination above all VII fanism, the chosen one to meet Legolis369Arrows in a pvp match above all others. Lo, how the rpg world trembled".


I see you're quoting from the JeNovah's Witness bible (obligatory VGCats link).
#19 Jan 26 2013 at 4:20 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
598 posts
Xoie wrote:
ShindaUsagi wrote:
Vorkosigan wrote:
Belcrono wrote:
IKickYoDog wrote:
WooShoo wrote:
Nice to know I won't have to play the "rush for a name" game at launch...


They may be allowing a single name change when the servers open. I don't think it has been confirmed, but if they do allow you to change your name, you may want to be quick about it depending on what you have in mind.


I am so happy about this because I really regret not picking SephirothCloudVII.


What's really sad is (I just checked) there are 192 Sephiroths and 195 Clouds listed on the WoW Armory.
This doesn't include all the mangled misspellings of the names.
They are everywhere. In every game. Smiley: oyvey


"And so does the prophecy come, where he who is known as Cloudiroth shall arise, his singular domination above all VII fanism, the chosen one to meet Legolis369Arrows in a pvp match above all others. Lo, how the rpg world trembled".


I see you're quoting from the JeNovah's Witness bible (obligatory VGCats link).


'Tis truth. Die quickly my brothers and sisters.
#20 Jan 26 2013 at 5:46 PM Rating: Excellent
***
3,530 posts
Vorkosigan wrote:
What's really sad is (I just checked) there are 192 Sephiroths and 195 Clouds listed on the WoW Armory.
This doesn't include all the mangled misspellings of the names.


It's sad to try and pretend to be Sephiroth / Cloud / &c. in an online Final Fantasy. Doing it in World of Warcraft, I... I just don't know know what to say, aside from my sincere hope that none of them is trying to accomplish it while playing a beer-guzzling Chinese panda man. It would strain the immersion, you know.


Edited, Jan 26th 2013 6:48pm by KaneKitty
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#21 Jan 26 2013 at 8:32 PM Rating: Excellent
**
362 posts
Xoie wrote:
I see you're quoting from the JeNovah's Witness bible (obligatory VGCats link).


Praise Hojo!
One of my favorites from that webcomic. ^^


Edited, Jan 26th 2013 8:34pm by WooShoo
____________________________
"Unfortunately many game companies are learning that if they can just keep you busy, you might not realize how bored you are." - Kachi
"Pride in your character will amount to nothing more than the level of intimacy I have when I order a burger from McDonald's" - Warfox07
"I find comfort food always helps when I feel like killing myself." - Papashan (FFXIV)
#22 Jan 26 2013 at 10:33 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*****
11,182 posts
As much as they should, no they won't.
#23 Jan 27 2013 at 7:01 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
4,099 posts
There is not a single valid reason on this green earth why they should wipe out existing characters when they have the option for players who want to start fresh to start on clean servers.

Period.

Anyone who thinks they should is very, very selfish and short-sighted.
#24 Jan 27 2013 at 7:09 PM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
ZAM Administrator
Avatar
*****
12,361 posts
Hyrist wrote:
There is not a single valid reason on this green earth why they should wipe out existing characters when they have the option for players who want to start fresh to start on clean servers.

Period.

Anyone who thinks they should is very, very selfish and short-sighted.


This.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#25 Jan 28 2013 at 10:02 AM Rating: Good
***
3,409 posts
Wint wrote:
Hyrist wrote:
There is not a single valid reason on this green earth why they should wipe out existing characters when they have the option for players who want to start fresh to start on clean servers.

Period.

Anyone who thinks they should is very, very selfish and short-sighted.


This.

This seems a bit redundant. New players don't have any other option but starting fresh and older players could have started fresh on new servers in 1.0 version. Yes, I am very selfish and perhaps often short-sighted, but if you can't see the fact that people wanting to keep old character data also causes issues for the game, you're a bit of a hypocrite.
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#26 Jan 28 2013 at 11:31 AM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
ZAM Administrator
Avatar
*****
12,361 posts
FilthMcNasty wrote:
Wint wrote:
Hyrist wrote:
There is not a single valid reason on this green earth why they should wipe out existing characters when they have the option for players who want to start fresh to start on clean servers.

Period.

Anyone who thinks they should is very, very selfish and short-sighted.


This.

This seems a bit redundant. New players don't have any other option but starting fresh and older players could have started fresh on new servers in 1.0 version. Yes, I am very selfish and perhaps often short-sighted, but if you can't see the fact that people wanting to keep old character data also causes issues for the game, you're a bit of a hypocrite.


So even though they're making it so old players can't move to "fresh" servers, you think this is a bad thing some how? The only issues I can see by letting people keep their existing characters are

a) gil. Which they're doing something about.
b) equipment that may not make it to 2.0. Which they also already fixed in the patches for 1.0 (hence the "dated" gear).
c) Profile data merging into the new database. They also seem to have thought of this since it's part of a beta phase.

So no, I don't see how this makes me a hypocrite?
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#27 Jan 28 2013 at 11:35 AM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
ZAM Administrator
Avatar
*****
12,361 posts
Also, I'm not trying to fight here, just trying to see your side of things because I just can't figure it out Smiley: smile
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#28 Jan 28 2013 at 4:32 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
Avatar
**
374 posts
bahamothz wrote:
Does anyone know if they will wipe our current toons for new game?



Toons aren't in FFXIV. You must have been talking about some other game.

I wonder if our characters will get wiped out though?
#29 Jan 28 2013 at 5:37 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
****
4,099 posts
Again, this has zero impact upon servers that have lockouts for Legacy Characters. Players won't be able to bring characters over until long after people have multiple jobs capped and likely their own handful of Relic weapons.

If you're talking about social impact, that's going to happen regardless of whether charaters exist or not.

And no, again aside for selfish reasonings that should be physically beaten out of people's minds, there's no argument to be had here. It all falls back on this idea that some people with a particular mindset want to force that mindset and its rules on other people. It goes completely against what this game has been pushing for, and more importantly it's bad for gaming in total. We need more options in games not less.

Players want that feeling of continuity in what they do, which is why continuing characters is very important. Denying them that is just going to uninvest them from the game, and speaking buisness, you don't want to do that in a subscription enviroment.
#30 Jan 28 2013 at 11:56 PM Rating: Excellent
***
3,409 posts
Wint wrote:
FilthMcNasty wrote:
Wint wrote:
Hyrist wrote:
There is not a single valid reason on this green earth why they should wipe out existing characters when they have the option for players who want to start fresh to start on clean servers.

Period.

Anyone who thinks they should is very, very selfish and short-sighted.


This.

This seems a bit redundant. New players don't have any other option but starting fresh and older players could have started fresh on new servers in 1.0 version. Yes, I am very selfish and perhaps often short-sighted, but if you can't see the fact that people wanting to keep old character data also causes issues for the game, you're a bit of a hypocrite.


So even though they're making it so old players can't move to "fresh" servers, you think this is a bad thing some how?

No, I actually think it would be a good thing.

Wint wrote:
The only issues I can see by letting people keep their existing characters are

a) gil. Which they're doing something about.
b) equipment that may not make it to 2.0. Which they also already fixed in the patches for 1.0 (hence the "dated" gear).
c) Profile data merging into the new database. They also seem to have thought of this since it's part of a beta phase.

So no, I don't see how this makes me a hypocrite?


d) The level difference between old and new players which creates an artificial barrier between these communities.

Gear and gil advantages aside(since that's what the first 3 deal with and could probably all be lumped together), this one alone would probably be one of the biggest issues for me as a 'new' player. We'd all hope that XIV has a huge swell of players coming in when ARR hits because we all know that the numbers will eventually sink a bit and level out. If the new wave isn't large enough you'll end up with established players who are already through with endgame content that launches with ARR or shortly after, then the remaining newer players who are left out in the cold. The only way it evens out is if there's enough of a gap between release and subsequent content that newer players are allowed to catch beforehand. If not, the cycle repeats.

Hyrist is saying that it's selfish to want everyone to start off on the same level, but it could be argued that it's fair. You could just as easily say it's selfish for people who already got a 'head start' with what they do retain from 1.0 to want to keep it, but I'm sure those who are high level would argue that they deserve it for the effort they put in.

There are valid arguments to be made from both sides. The other side of the coin doesn't support his personal position, but isn't it a bit short-sighted to ignore the fact that they're valid? Not trying to name call here with the hypocrite thing, but it is what it is.

Hyrist wrote:
Players want that feeling of continuity in what they do, which is why continuing characters is very important. Denying them that is just going to uninvest them from the game, and speaking buisness, you don't want to do that in a subscription enviroment.

Satire?

You call for continuity in a game that failed miserably and needed to be completely rebuilt from the ground up. Not only that, but you try to drive it on what makes good business sense? You can't possibly be talking about SE and FFXIV.

Edited, Jan 29th 2013 1:17am by FilthMcNasty
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#31 Jan 29 2013 at 12:54 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
2,503 posts
Quote:
d) The level difference between old and new players which creates an artificial barrier between these communities.


Which is thoroughly solved with the introduction of new servers that only serve new players and not existing players. Which I believe Wint and others have mentioned here repeatedly.

There's no power differential between these two groups unless you WANT there to be one by rolling on an established server as opposed to a new server.

It is not logical to wipe existing player data because this isn't a new game. This is a rebuild of an existing game, and these players have put in their time and deserve that not to have been a waste.

As a side example.. Blizzard doesn't wipe player data between expansions.. this isn't strictly an expansion of FFXIV, but it may as well be.
____________________________
svlyons wrote:
If random outcomes aren't acceptable to you, then don't play with random people.
#32 Jan 29 2013 at 2:15 AM Rating: Decent
***
3,409 posts
Archmage Callinon wrote:
Quote:
d) The level difference between old and new players which creates an artificial barrier between these communities.


Which is thoroughly solved with the introduction of new servers that only serve new players and not existing players. Which I believe Wint and others have mentioned here repeatedly.

There's no power differential between these two groups unless you WANT there to be one by rolling on an established server as opposed to a new server.

How does this avoid issues? Here's what's going to happen...

Assuming your scenario of avoiding 'power differential' and all new players rolling fresh servers, said fresh servers will bustle and thrive and the established servers will feel dead. People will bitch, servers will shut down and players will be transferred anyway. I'm not seeing the point in segregating the community; especially when it's really not a sure bet that it's going to grow large enough to thrive as it is. What is the logic?

There is still no explanation for how a 3 year head start is going to even itself out when the eventual server transfers happen. If anything, new players will be asked and then probably bribed to fill the emptier established servers. Again, this assumes the game even takes off to begin with...

Archmage Callinon wrote:
It is not logical to wipe existing player data because this isn't a new game. This is a rebuild of an existing game, and these players have put in their time and deserve that not to have been a waste.

It wouldn't be the first time it's happened. It also wouldn't have been nearly as much of an issue if the announcement had come at the time of the whole 'rebuild and reboot' spiel they came out with only a few months after launch.

"We blew it. We're sorry. We're going to rebuild the game and make it the worthy of the FF tag. Here is a time table and a promise. Character data will not be saved when the rebirth occurs, but the game will remain free to play until 2.0 goes live and everyone who purchased the game up to this point gets Legacy status." -Yoshi

Archmage Callinon wrote:
As a side example.. Blizzard doesn't wipe player data between expansions.. this isn't strictly an expansion of FFXIV, but it may as well be.


Now we're comparing a failed MMO to one of the most popular and well known video games of our time. I am thoroughly feeling that. This is sure to be the most legendary thread ZAM has ever seen.

Edited, Jan 29th 2013 3:17am by FilthMcNasty
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#33 Jan 29 2013 at 7:39 AM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
ZAM Administrator
Avatar
*****
12,361 posts
Yeah I don't think you can compare what happens with expansions to what ARR is, that is a bit of a stretch.

I do think you're assuming the worst case scenario though Filth. It could be as you say, but at that point is when I would hope SE would stick to their guns and not allow server transfers for legacy characters. If you want to play on a "dead" server with your old char, go for it. If you want to be part of a new, fresh server then make a new character. I plan on making at least one new char on a fresh server so I can experience that perspective myself. But most of my friends who quit before even getting near the cap want to keep their old chars and continue where they left off. So I'll Keyser Soze on our original server as well.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#34 Jan 29 2013 at 10:22 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
***
2,503 posts
Sorry, that was an afterthought and it needed more fleshing out. What I should have said was that no developer does that. No developer wipes player data when their game moves up a major version. And while FFXIV does have a history of "screw the rules," this one would just shoot them in the foot for no good reason.

Your assumptions about population decline may be valid, but they also require prophecy to make the correct decisions at this time.

What they're doing with this IS the right path with the facts at hand. Migrate existing players to the new version and keep them where they are. Allow new players to choose if they want to be on a fresh server (and so effectively treat it like a new game) or on an existing server with the old players. Once the two groups are established, then they can look at server transfers being added for legacy players. I'm not sure how much time it would take for a legacy transfer to not be a massive economic burden on a new server, but that's only because I don't have the data that SE does.

Please understand that I'm the last person to espouse blind faith. But at the same time, fatalism is equally useless.
____________________________
svlyons wrote:
If random outcomes aren't acceptable to you, then don't play with random people.
#35 Jan 29 2013 at 4:54 PM Rating: Excellent
***
3,409 posts
Wint wrote:
I do think you're assuming the worst case scenario though Filth. It could be as you say, but at that point is when I would hope SE would stick to their guns and not allow server transfers for legacy characters. If you want to play on a "dead" server with your old char, go for it. If you want to be part of a new, fresh server then make a new character.


I did make the assumption that there would be a large surge of players coming to the game, which I think after so long is optimistic. I'm not saying that this is going to cause the game to fail, but the impact will be felt and it scales along with how successful(read: addition of newer players) the game becomes.

Archmage Callinon wrote:
No developer wipes player data when their game moves up a major version. And while FFXIV does have a history of "screw the rules," this one would just shoot them in the foot for no good reason.

ARR is hardly a version update. This game has been completely overhauled. SE themselves have used the specific terms 'reboot' and 'rebirth' to describe what they're doing to the game so the concept you're trying to apply here is a bit of a stretch.

That said, I'd also point out that when you have the proper mechanics in place there isn't a need for hard reset. Allow me to explain...

Disclaimer: I'm going to use WoW as an example here for the sake of familiarity. This is not a rant on how WoW is better than XI or XIV, nor is it intended to spark that age old debate. Let's refrain from beating the horse please.

In XI, there was no clear progression. To this day, there are still level 99 characters using items they could obtain and use more than 60 levels prior.

In WoW, every expansion obsoleted the previous tier's progression. If you had the best of the best gear in WotLK, it was made obsolete by quested items you could obtain in a fraction of the time you'd spent farming epic hardmode gear. If you had saved up tokens or honor it was reset when the next tier of gear became available (Note: Keep this in mind as it links to the argument about people's progression in XIV 1.0 being lost)

You didn't have to reset everyone's level to 0 because obsoleting the previous tier essentially did the same thing. On day 1 of an expansion the most hardcore guilds were all sporting the same crappy greens that 'noobs' were questing for and the field was leveled without need for a hard reset.

Archmage Callinon wrote:
Your assumptions about population decline may be valid, but they also require prophecy to make the correct decisions at this time.


It's a pretty well established trend that when an MMO launches it gains a large playerbase quickly, people decide it's not something they want to devote the time to or they don't enjoy it so they leave and eventually the population settles. No crystal ball necessary. Blizzard didn't need to know exactly how many people would be playing at a specific time to know that their progression system was something that would have the desired effect on the entirety of it's population. It's not by any means a concept that Blizzard invented or even innovated.

SE actually tried to do something similar to offset of the initial 6 month gap between PC and PS3 launch, but eventually decided to remove it(probably when they realized they were years off the mark for a PS3 launch).

*EDIT*
Just realized that a new thread voicing the exact same concern I expressed here about new players and old servers popped up today. The first of many I'm sure.

Also, just to give credit where it's due, XI did add gear progression via magian trials which seemed to go over pretty well(minus the whole fire weather is non-existant thing).

Edited, Jan 29th 2013 11:30pm by FilthMcNasty
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 154 All times are in CDT
Lyrailis, SillyHawk, Anonymous Guests (152)