Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Interesting FFXIV articleFollow

#1 Jan 17 2013 at 10:13 AM Rating: Sub-Default
****
4,527 posts
there was a part in the article that made me neary die of laughter:

"The questing and crafting systems were the stereotypical MMO grind reduced to its quintessence; the UI a laggy abomination, cluttered with cumbersome menus; and the very process of creating an account could have passed for a boss in Dark Souls."

roflmao was the character creation really THAT horrible?

heres the link to the rest of the article.

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/square-enix-next-gen-mmorpg/1227159p1.html


what do you guys think of it? Can FFXIV relly be saved or will it just merely be more like a patch that makes the game "acceptable" (as opposed to the horrible it was at first) instead of a complete overhaul that makes the game great.

Edited, Jan 17th 2013 11:43am by DuoMaxwellxx
#2 Jan 17 2013 at 10:36 AM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,361 posts
I think XIV ARR will do well.

Yes creating an account and setting things up on that end was an exercise in futility. I believe this was before the SE Account Management system was required for FFXI (it is required for XI now right? I can't remember, I tied everything together when I made my SE Account) and the design was awful. It's better now than it was for sure.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#3 Jan 17 2013 at 10:57 AM Rating: Excellent
Sage
**
534 posts
DuoMaxwellxx wrote:

what do you guys think of it? Can FFXIV relly be saved or will it just merely be more like a patch that makes the game "acceptable" (a opposed to the horrible it was at first) instead of a complete overhaul that makes the game great.


From what I have heard(I have an inside source), they plan to introduce Unicorns.

Almost 3 years development worth of pretty Unicorns. I mean, several colors and sizes.

I am stoked.

I'm in.

As I am Legacy...I will be one of the first to kill one.
____________________________
Amos Fin - Ultros

#4 Jan 17 2013 at 10:58 AM Rating: Good
Needs More Smut
Avatar
******
20,354 posts
Yeah the SE account system is required for XI. No payment or registration information is handled through POL at all.

Honestly, the PC version of POL could be dropped down to a single login screen at this point.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck. Once again a top bard on the server: Dardaubla 90 on 1/6/2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest on Lamia - Member of The Swarm and leader of Grammarian Tea House chat LS
#5 Jan 17 2013 at 11:07 AM Rating: Excellent
**
383 posts
Since its inception, I've always found the SE account system to be needlessly arbitrary. The fact that you couldn't directly pay them had a lot of people up in arms back at launch too. It's a huge turn-off for players if you make your sub-based game as difficult to pay for as possible.
____________________________
This is my sig; Enjoy.
FFXIV: Tom Carroll - Excalibur
FC: Sitzkireg (www.sitzkrieg.guildwork.com)
#6 Jan 17 2013 at 11:28 AM Rating: Good
Needs More Smut
Avatar
******
20,354 posts
That's been fixed. They now bill directly to any Visa or Mastercard, no Securecard or w/e required.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck. Once again a top bard on the server: Dardaubla 90 on 1/6/2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest on Lamia - Member of The Swarm and leader of Grammarian Tea House chat LS
#7 Jan 17 2013 at 11:38 AM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,361 posts
My issues is that nothing is obvious or intuitive. It may come down to just what they label things to be honest. Some of the options once you log in make no sense at all.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#8 Jan 17 2013 at 11:45 AM Rating: Excellent
**
383 posts
catwho wrote:
That's been fixed. They now bill directly to any Visa or Mastercard, no Securecard or w/e required.

I remember when they did this, but I had a problem when I resubbed XI this past summer. I had to buy crysta as a result. It's like what Wint said, it's just not obvious or intuitive. You'd figure they'd give you the easiest option to take your money.
____________________________
This is my sig; Enjoy.
FFXIV: Tom Carroll - Excalibur
FC: Sitzkireg (www.sitzkrieg.guildwork.com)
#9 Jan 17 2013 at 11:46 AM Rating: Default
****
4,527 posts
Wint wrote:
I think XIV ARR will do well.

Yes creating an account and setting things up on that end was an exercise in futility. I believe this was before the SE Account Management system was required for FFXI (it is required for XI now right? I can't remember, I tied everything together when I made my SE Account) and the design was awful. It's better now than it was for sure.



So Wint in your opinion why do you say ARR will do well? By that I mean the article gave references of other MMOs that had complete overhauls and DIDNT do well, thats being said why would ARR fare any different/better than the others that went through the same process did?
#10 Jan 17 2013 at 11:56 AM Rating: Good
Needs More Smut
Avatar
******
20,354 posts
Wint wrote:
My issues is that nothing is obvious or intuitive. It may come down to just what they label things to be honest. Some of the options once you log in make no sense at all.


I think you've just hit the problem: Their translation team on the website has no formal UX training. They translate the JP version of the website for the correct words, but the direct translation doesn't necessarily have the same contextual meaning in English. Frankly, I bet the JP version of the website makes perfect sense to the Japanese players.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck. Once again a top bard on the server: Dardaubla 90 on 1/6/2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest on Lamia - Member of The Swarm and leader of Grammarian Tea House chat LS
#11 Jan 17 2013 at 12:01 PM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,361 posts
I'll just say I have my reasons that I can't disclose. Even if it doesn't I'll be playing from launch to shutdown. Pointless conjecture from websites without any useful information are as pointless as my reasons for feeling the way I do. Anyone claiming to know what the fans will do is spouting BS.

I can't speak for any of those games in your article because I haven't played them although if you read the article it talks about how WoW went through redesign just fine.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#12 Jan 17 2013 at 12:23 PM Rating: Default
****
4,527 posts
Wint wrote:
I'll just say I have my reasons that I can't disclose. Even if it doesn't I'll be playing from launch to shutdown. Pointless conjecture from websites without any useful information are as pointless as my reasons for feeling the way I do. Anyone claiming to know what the fans will do is spouting BS.

I can't speak for any of those games in your article because I haven't played them although if you read the article it talks about how WoW went through redesign just fine.



well in all honesty just because you play from startup to shut down doesnt mean its great.. I mean Im sure you woulda done the same with 1.0 right? was 1.0 great?

as for conjecture well wha tabout the posts on the videos on this site showing the party play? lots of 1.0 players said it didnt look that much different from what they already had in 1.0.. in otherwords.. ARR is DEFINITELY a change.. and its a change for the better.. but its not a DRASTIC change.. which to me means though who likes 1.0 WILL like ARR but it wont be so great/drastic/different that those who didnt like 1.0 (or avoided 1.0 because of its bad press) arent gonna find ARR appealing enough to give a chance and will just write it off as a minimal improvement that turned "trash" (1.0) into what the game SHOULD (in otherwords its now acceptable) have been at launch (ARR) instead of a GREAT game

so basically ARR is turning a game that was an F into a C or B- instead of the A+ everyone hoping it will/making it out to be. Thats the general consensus I seem to be getting
#13 Jan 17 2013 at 12:28 PM Rating: Good
Needs More Smut
Avatar
******
20,354 posts
The environmentals alone went from a C- to an A+ from what we've seen already. So did the game's rendering engine.

Gameplay - well, we'll see in beta.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck. Once again a top bard on the server: Dardaubla 90 on 1/6/2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest on Lamia - Member of The Swarm and leader of Grammarian Tea House chat LS
#14 Jan 17 2013 at 12:29 PM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,361 posts
No, I didn't play 1.0 from start up to shut down. I kept paying, and logging in here and there to see how things were progressing, but once ARR was announced I really toned down my playing.

The consensus you're referring to is wrong, mostly because they're basing things off of video instead of actually trying the game. People who say that ARR has no change (or isn't "much different") from 1.0 clearly aren't paying attention. You probably don't hear much on the other end of things because people who have gotten to play ARR aren't allowed to talk about it. Who wants to ruin their chances at getting into beta to convince people who have nothing better to do all day than trash talk everything SE is doing to repair the game? You're basing all of your assumptions on a one-sided look at how things are progressing.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#15 Jan 17 2013 at 12:34 PM Rating: Default
****
4,527 posts
catwho wrote:
The environmentals alone went from a C- to an A+ from what we've seen already. So did the game's rendering engine.

Gameplay - well, we'll see in beta.



cat surely i dont have to tell you of ALL people that a game looking pretty doesnt make it good lol
#16 Jan 17 2013 at 12:38 PM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,361 posts
DuoMaxwellxx wrote:
catwho wrote:
The environmentals alone went from a C- to an A+ from what we've seen already. So did the game's rendering engine.

Gameplay - well, we'll see in beta.



cat surely i dont have to tell you of ALL people that a game looking pretty doesnt make it good lol


Yes but since you're so eager to make broad generalizations, wouldn't having those aspects going through such an improvement speak well for the rest of the game?
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#17 Jan 17 2013 at 12:38 PM Rating: Default
****
4,527 posts
Wint wrote:
No, I didn't play 1.0 from start up to shut down. I kept paying, and logging in here and there to see how things were progressing, but once ARR was announced I really toned down my playing.

The consensus you're referring to is wrong, mostly because they're basing things off of video instead of actually trying the game. People who say that ARR has no change (or isn't "much different") from 1.0 clearly aren't paying attention. You probably don't hear much on the other end of things because people who have gotten to play ARR aren't allowed to talk about it. Who wants to ruin their chances at getting into beta to convince people who have nothing better to do all day than trash talk everything SE is doing to repair the game? You're basing all of your assumptions on a one-sided look at how things are progressing.



well then I guess we'll just have a wiat a few months and see what the critics say this time around then huh? (assuming they re review it). Though Ive played plenty of games that didnt fair well in the reviews department.. after all If im interested in a game Im gonna play it and enjoy it regardless of what is said about it.... only thing the reviews do is let me know what to lower my expectations/stanadrds down to so that Im not overcome in disappointment.

I mean a lotta ppl would say FFXI was crap... but I played that 8 years (though i think 90% of the ones calling it crap was those who either thought it was too hard ore didnt have the free time/"no life" it required to get anything significant done in it.. so they were bashing the game based on that and not because the game/gameplay itself was horrible).
#18 Jan 17 2013 at 12:42 PM Rating: Default
****
4,527 posts
Wint wrote:
DuoMaxwellxx wrote:
catwho wrote:
The environmentals alone went from a C- to an A+ from what we've seen already. So did the game's rendering engine.

Gameplay - well, we'll see in beta.



cat surely i dont have to tell you of ALL people that a game looking pretty doesnt make it good lol


Yes but since you're so eager to make broad generalizations, wouldn't having those aspects going through such an improvement speak well for the rest of the game?



no because as we ALL know if there one thing SE DOES do right.. its graphics...

look at FF13, that games looks wonderful.... but how many ppl say its garbage as opposed to the number that says otherwise? I myself liked it and would easily give it a 9/10 but I seem to be the minority (i however did think 13-2 was a 7/10 lol... the only thing good about THAT game WAS its graphics)
#19 Jan 17 2013 at 12:48 PM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,361 posts
DuoMaxwellxx wrote:
well then I guess we'll just have a wiat a few months and see what the critics say this time around then huh?


And yet you keep posting these articles and soliciting opinions on how the game is going to do. How does anything in this thread affect how the game will do? I assume you keep doing this because you want to figure out if you're going to retry it or not, yet you say you will regardless of what is said. So why does this all matter? Why do you care why I think the game will do fine? Were you expecting some kind of insider knowledge that would tip the scales and shut up the naysayers?
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#20 Jan 17 2013 at 12:56 PM Rating: Excellent
Needs More Smut
Avatar
******
20,354 posts
As Wint said, right now the only people who can definitively say whether the game is better or not are still under non disclosure agreement.

And even after beta starts, the folks who will be in it still can't talk about it.

All I can say is that I like what I see in the 2.0 videos a lot more than I liked what I saw in 1.0. The Black Shroud was boring in 1.0. It looks a lot less boring in the alpha videos. Crafting was terrible in 1.0. What they've shown us in the crafting video of the alpha is a vast improvement. And it's no secret that they finally gave up and switched to a proper DX11 engine, taking advantage of modern hardware capabilities that mean a less powerful system can run the game and still have it look good.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck. Once again a top bard on the server: Dardaubla 90 on 1/6/2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest on Lamia - Member of The Swarm and leader of Grammarian Tea House chat LS
#21DuoMaxwellxx, Posted: Jan 17 2013 at 1:00 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) why you ask? thats simple.. because when it does happen (As im sure it will) I can say "i toldja so)
#22 Jan 17 2013 at 1:02 PM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,361 posts
DuoMaxwellxx wrote:
Wint wrote:
DuoMaxwellxx wrote:
well then I guess we'll just have a wiat a few months and see what the critics say this time around then huh?


And yet you keep posting these articles and soliciting opinions on how the game is going to do. How does anything in this thread affect how the game will do? I assume you keep doing this because you want to figure out if you're going to retry it or not, yet you say you will regardless of what is said. So why does this all matter? Why do you care why I think the game will do fine? Were you expecting some kind of insider knowledge that would tip the scales and shut up the naysayers?



why you ask? thats simple.. because when it does happen (As im sure it will) I can say "i toldja so)


as for figuring out if im gonna retry it.. i cant RETRY something i never tried.. Ive been waiting for it to come out on PS3 since it was first announced (i dont game on PC).. ans yes regardless of what is or isnt said I plan to play it (and most likely even enjoy it) as i do ANY game with "final fantasy" in the title... so how bad the critics say it is (or how bad the game ACTUALLY is) wont deter me from at least playing it to see for myself. Id have done it 2 years ago had it launched on ps3 when it was supposed to


So you're just hanging around to wait and see if the game will fail so you can get a virtual "in your face" out there? Smiley: dubious

Trying to decide if I want to ban you now or watch you get egg on your face.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#23 Jan 17 2013 at 1:14 PM Rating: Decent
****
4,527 posts
Wint wrote:
DuoMaxwellxx wrote:
Wint wrote:
DuoMaxwellxx wrote:
well then I guess we'll just have a wiat a few months and see what the critics say this time around then huh?


And yet you keep posting these articles and soliciting opinions on how the game is going to do. How does anything in this thread affect how the game will do? I assume you keep doing this because you want to figure out if you're going to retry it or not, yet you say you will regardless of what is said. So why does this all matter? Why do you care why I think the game will do fine? Were you expecting some kind of insider knowledge that would tip the scales and shut up the naysayers?



why you ask? thats simple.. because when it does happen (As im sure it will) I can say "i toldja so)


as for figuring out if im gonna retry it.. i cant RETRY something i never tried.. Ive been waiting for it to come out on PS3 since it was first announced (i dont game on PC).. ans yes regardless of what is or isnt said I plan to play it (and most likely even enjoy it) as i do ANY game with "final fantasy" in the title... so how bad the critics say it is (or how bad the game ACTUALLY is) wont deter me from at least playing it to see for myself. Id have done it 2 years ago had it launched on ps3 when it was supposed to


So you're just hanging around to wait and see if the game will fail so you can get a virtual "in your face" out there? Smiley: dubious

Trying to decide if I want to ban you now or watch you get egg on your face.


no im hanging around because Im actually interested in the game... and I plan to play and like it.. after all just because I like a game doesnt mean int cant/wont fail and even if critics hate it.. my opinion hardly ever reflects that of critics... I liked white knight chronicles... most places give it a 5-6... I cant stand call of duty.. show me place whos rated it lower than 9 for example.

So im 90% sure the game wont be horrible to MY standards.. but that shouldnt stop me from being able to say that i correctly predicted that it wasnt gonna be the huge turnaround/success that SE (and a lot here) thought it would be
#24 Jan 17 2013 at 1:23 PM Rating: Good
Wint wrote:
DuoMaxwellxx wrote:
Wint wrote:
DuoMaxwellxx wrote:
well then I guess we'll just have a wiat a few months and see what the critics say this time around then huh?


And yet you keep posting these articles and soliciting opinions on how the game is going to do. How does anything in this thread affect how the game will do? I assume you keep doing this because you want to figure out if you're going to retry it or not, yet you say you will regardless of what is said. So why does this all matter? Why do you care why I think the game will do fine? Were you expecting some kind of insider knowledge that would tip the scales and shut up the naysayers?



why you ask? thats simple.. because when it does happen (As im sure it will) I can say "i toldja so)


as for figuring out if im gonna retry it.. i cant RETRY something i never tried.. Ive been waiting for it to come out on PS3 since it was first announced (i dont game on PC).. ans yes regardless of what is or isnt said I plan to play it (and most likely even enjoy it) as i do ANY game with "final fantasy" in the title... so how bad the critics say it is (or how bad the game ACTUALLY is) wont deter me from at least playing it to see for myself. Id have done it 2 years ago had it launched on ps3 when it was supposed to


So you're just hanging around to wait and see if the game will fail so you can get a virtual "in your face" out there? Smiley: dubious

Trying to decide if I want to ban you now or watch you get egg on your face.


The people of Rome say Smiley: thumbsdown

Smiley: lol

Edited, Jan 17th 2013 2:24pm by IKickYoDog
____________________________
Our team is like a flock of woodpeckers in a petrified forest. We just need to keep working and keep an eye open for opportunity.

FFXI
Toofar - Asura (Formerly of Lakshmi (Garuda)) - WHM BLM SMN
Rafoot - Asura (Formerly of Lakshmi (Garuda)) - THF SAM BRD
#25 Jan 17 2013 at 1:28 PM Rating: Decent
***
2,202 posts
Wint wrote:
DuoMaxwellxx wrote:
catwho wrote:
The environmentals alone went from a C- to an A+ from what we've seen already. So did the game's rendering engine.

Gameplay - well, we'll see in beta.



cat surely i dont have to tell you of ALL people that a game looking pretty doesnt make it good lol


Yes but since you're so eager to make broad generalizations, wouldn't having those aspects going through such an improvement speak well for the rest of the game?


Because that aspect of the game was never in question to begin with, it was the only thing the game originally did right, and SE has always done graphics better than anybody else in the industry, the fact that they are more than willing to showcase their strongest point, instead of their weakest and the one that will determine weather or not the game flops or succeeds is interesting. When they start showcasing gameplay and end game mechanics, then we will have something to go by.

____________________________
MUTED
#26 Jan 17 2013 at 1:51 PM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,361 posts
Ostia wrote:
Wint wrote:
DuoMaxwellxx wrote:
catwho wrote:
The environmentals alone went from a C- to an A+ from what we've seen already. So did the game's rendering engine.

Gameplay - well, we'll see in beta.



cat surely i dont have to tell you of ALL people that a game looking pretty doesnt make it good lol


Yes but since you're so eager to make broad generalizations, wouldn't having those aspects going through such an improvement speak well for the rest of the game?


Because that aspect of the game was never in question to begin with, it was the only thing the game originally did right, and SE has always done graphics better than anybody else in the industry, the fact that they are more than willing to showcase their strongest point, instead of their weakest and the one that will determine weather or not the game flops or succeeds is interesting. When they start showcasing gameplay and end game mechanics, then we will have something to go by.



I would argue that no, they didn't really get it right. Between cut and paste environments, the horrible horrible game engine, and vanilla environments, no they didn't get that right at all. The new Gridania/Black Shroud looks like a place I want to explore now Smiley: thumbsup
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#27 Jan 17 2013 at 2:43 PM Rating: Excellent
***
2,010 posts
Wint wrote:

I can't speak for any of those games in your article because I haven't played them although if you read the article it talks about how WoW went through redesign just fine.


Wow wasn't really in the toilet though; it was just that the starting areas were getting a bit stale. The overhaul wasn't because there were terrible things broken with the game, it was to freshen and modernize the experience to be more welcoming to new players as the level caps continued to go up and new technologies such as phasing were introduced. XIV's redesign is because it was horribly broken.

Now I'm not arguing in one direction or the other - I've heard good things about what's been done so far so I'm not going to give an opinion here - but the spirit of the article really hits home for a lot of folks. XIV already had the stigma of XI to overcome, and now it's got the stigma of... itself to overcome.

Yoshi-P needs to hit it out of the ball park to shut articles like that up.
#28 Jan 18 2013 at 1:10 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
******
27,453 posts
Wint wrote:
So you're just hanging around to wait and see if the game will fail so you can get a virtual "in your face" out there? Smiley: dubious

Trying to decide if I want to ban you now or watch you get egg on your face.
You could always mute until two weeks after release. Smiley: nod
____________________________
Someone on another forum wrote:
Wow, you've got an awesome writing style.! I really dig the narrator's back story, humor, sarcasm, and the plethora of pop culture references. Altogether a refreshingly different RotR journal (not that I don't like the more traditional ones, mind you).

#29 Jan 18 2013 at 3:07 AM Rating: Excellent
**
476 posts
catwho talking about SEAMS wrote:
Frankly, I bet the JP version of the website makes perfect sense to the Japanese players.


Actually it doesn't. I have both an NA and JP account and the JP account is just as confusing as my NA one. Matter of fact, it took me all of 3 minutes to purchase WebMoney for crysta at Familymart. It took another 30 minutes trying to figure out where on the site you entered the **** code. I was even switching between both accounts trying to match the screens.

My wife was completely confused and just said "Have fun with that..." she being japanese and all should have been able to figure it out
____________________________
Jophiel wrote:
Pack your own lunch and bring nothing but Pixie Stix and Pop Rocks and get your liberty on.
#30 Jan 18 2013 at 7:09 AM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,361 posts
So we now know they don't employ UXA's Smiley: laugh
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#31 Jan 18 2013 at 10:46 AM Rating: Excellent
Needs More Smut
Avatar
******
20,354 posts
Dear SE: I happen to know an Internet Technology specialist with formal UX training from the best in the business who would be happy to act as a consultant to your web development team. She is intimately familiar with the SE billing system and has plenty of suggestions on how to improve the information architecture behind the layout.

<---------------- Smiley: nod

(My university doesn't have a UX faculty member on staff. So they hired one of the top consultants to come teach it instead. They did that with our HTML5/Javascript class, too. No prof available? Offer to fly out the guy who wrote the book for a summer vacation...)
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck. Once again a top bard on the server: Dardaubla 90 on 1/6/2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest on Lamia - Member of The Swarm and leader of Grammarian Tea House chat LS
#32 Jan 18 2013 at 10:52 AM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,361 posts
catwho wrote:
Dear SE: I happen to know an Internet Technology specialist with formal UX training from the best in the business who would be happy to act as a consultant to your web development team. She is intimately familiar with the SE billing system and has plenty of suggestions on how to improve the information architecture behind the layout.

<---------------- Smiley: nod

(My university doesn't have a UX faculty member on staff. So they hired one of the top consultants to come teach it instead. They did that with our HTML5/Javascript class, too. No prof available? Offer to fly out the guy who wrote the book for a summer vacation...)


Relevant
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#33 Jan 18 2013 at 12:24 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
807 posts
That article is not being negative, just saying what we already know. Revamps up to this point have only become surviving or failed. None have become super successive later. Well unless you count APB which had an abysmal p2p launch then relaunched f2p with 4 million users. World of Warcraft already had a huge following before the mmo came out. And Swg tried going from a sandbox to a themepark! By the time it changed, it wouldn't matter what they added because the WoW frenzy took off. Darkfall just had a smaller following in comparison to FF or WoW.

None of that guarantees ARR will be a smash hit nor does it receive a get out of jail free card. Imo ARR has to do four things to do the seemingly impossible.
1. Get a metacritic score of at least 80, the higher up from there the better.( This shows potential players that the game at least has the fundamentals and isn't a piece of crap) But as TOR found out, that only gets players in the door, you still have to keep them there.

2. Make it as accessible as possible. Meaning make the game able to run decently on as many machines as possible. (ARR aims to do this evidently.) Offer different payment plans. I know many here shun hybrids but I really feel it's needed. Not just because 1.0 but also due to XI. Yes XI is their most profitable FF to date. But look at the translation from millions of FF offline buyers versus the 500k to 1 million users XI had. Is it the platforms released on or the strict p2p only model. You tell me? I'm not suggesting f2p. I'm suggesting a p2p/b2p hybrid.

3. Polished content, lots of content, variety of content.

4. Get the word out. Because no matter what if people don't know about a game. They won't even get near the front door.

Whether or not they do everything perfect. From what I've seen of ARR, it will survive at the very least under or on par with the current XI. By the way ARR is going to get trash talked no matter how things turn out. The internet community on the whole likes to be fickle, they love to hate, the herd moves to where they are told the green grass is. If the game is enjoyable to you & you have your friends to play with. Who gives a flying **** what society tells you to do?
#34 Jan 18 2013 at 12:33 PM Rating: Excellent
Needs More Smut
Avatar
******
20,354 posts
SE really does suck at advertising in the US. Where are the banner ads on fantasy web comics? Where are the magazine ads? Where is the giant Best Buy display?

____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck. Once again a top bard on the server: Dardaubla 90 on 1/6/2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest on Lamia - Member of The Swarm and leader of Grammarian Tea House chat LS
#35 Jan 18 2013 at 12:45 PM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,361 posts
catwho wrote:
SE really does suck at advertising in the US. Where are the banner ads on fantasy web comics? Where are the magazine ads? Where is the giant Best Buy display?



One hopes they will start to advertise more the closer we get to launch. Perhaps 6 months out they're content with the attention they're getting from various blogs for now.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#36 Jan 18 2013 at 12:49 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
807 posts
Wint wrote:
catwho wrote:
SE really does suck at advertising in the US. Where are the banner ads on fantasy web comics? Where are the magazine ads? Where is the giant Best Buy display?



One hopes they will start to advertise more the closer we get to launch. Perhaps 6 months out they're content with the attention they're getting from various blogs for now.

I hope they do a let's play on gamespot and those meticulous drawn out reviews as well. :)
#37 Jan 18 2013 at 12:51 PM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,361 posts
Yoshi has done pretty much everything else right, I would bet he has a plan for marketing as well.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#38 Jan 18 2013 at 1:14 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
90 posts
It would be pre-mature to start advertising without a release date, imo. Nothing quite as disappointing as hearing about how awesome a movie or game is and finding the release date is :TBD
#39 Jan 18 2013 at 2:28 PM Rating: Default
****
4,527 posts
catwho wrote:
SE really does suck at advertising in the US. Where are the banner ads on fantasy web comics? Where are the magazine ads? Where is the giant Best Buy display?




Se sucks at advertising? no one every told any main FF game that.... heck I seen a FF13 and 13-2 commercial literally 5 times a day everyday the first month of their release.. and the FF games before it were no different....


the commercials are what got me into FF.... I bought FF7 on PS1 because of the commercial thinking it was a badass animated (of FMV/CGI) movie for the PS1... imagine my surprise when I popped it in and saw it was actually a playable video game lol.

I even remember seeing FFXI commercials for PS2 during WWF Raw a lot
#40 Jan 18 2013 at 4:06 PM Rating: Excellent
Needs More Smut
Avatar
******
20,354 posts
Television commercials only reach one portion of an audience: those who watch TV.

Lots of us PC gamers don't watch anything besides Netflix. Smiley: laugh Now, a Netflix ad buy for the PS3 would be brilliant.

Edited, Jan 18th 2013 5:06pm by catwho
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck. Once again a top bard on the server: Dardaubla 90 on 1/6/2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest on Lamia - Member of The Swarm and leader of Grammarian Tea House chat LS
#41 Jan 18 2013 at 4:26 PM Rating: Default
****
4,527 posts
catwho wrote:
Television commercials only reach one portion of an audience: those who watch TV.

Lots of us PC gamers don't watch anything besides Netflix. Smiley: laugh Now, a Netflix ad buy for the PS3 would be brilliant.

Edited, Jan 18th 2013 5:06pm by catwho



most ppl that play video games play em on consoles (yes i know theres pc ganmes out there) but SE is a largely console company and since you hook a console up to a tv it makes since that most their ads are on tv sooo

oh and netflix has ads? lol i didnt even know that (really i didnt but then again i dont use netflix lol)
#42 Jan 18 2013 at 4:39 PM Rating: Excellent
Needs More Smut
Avatar
******
20,354 posts
I have a 40" television. I have a PS3. I access Netflix via the PS3, as does everyone else in the house. We do not have cable television, a very common trend among our friends within our age range.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck. Once again a top bard on the server: Dardaubla 90 on 1/6/2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest on Lamia - Member of The Swarm and leader of Grammarian Tea House chat LS
#43 Jan 18 2013 at 5:14 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
807 posts
Tv is overated anyway. Nothing but reality shows, news, and commercials. I can watch anything, anytime I want to on the web. Sometimes it's free.


#44 Jan 18 2013 at 5:59 PM Rating: Good
I wish I could just subscribe to HBO, Showtime, ESPN, USA and TNT. That's all I need.

@Duo, where did you ever see a FFXIII commercial? I've never once seen a Final Fantasy commercial, of any type.

Edited, Jan 18th 2013 6:59pm by IKickYoDog
____________________________
Our team is like a flock of woodpeckers in a petrified forest. We just need to keep working and keep an eye open for opportunity.

FFXI
Toofar - Asura (Formerly of Lakshmi (Garuda)) - WHM BLM SMN
Rafoot - Asura (Formerly of Lakshmi (Garuda)) - THF SAM BRD
#45 Jan 18 2013 at 6:05 PM Rating: Good
Wint wrote:
catwho wrote:
Dear SE: I happen to know an Internet Technology specialist with formal UX training from the best in the business who would be happy to act as a consultant to your web development team. She is intimately familiar with the SE billing system and has plenty of suggestions on how to improve the information architecture behind the layout.

<---------------- Smiley: nod

(My university doesn't have a UX faculty member on staff. So they hired one of the top consultants to come teach it instead. They did that with our HTML5/Javascript class, too. No prof available? Offer to fly out the guy who wrote the book for a summer vacation...)


Relevant


Ahh I never get tired of that little gem.
____________________________
Our team is like a flock of woodpeckers in a petrified forest. We just need to keep working and keep an eye open for opportunity.

FFXI
Toofar - Asura (Formerly of Lakshmi (Garuda)) - WHM BLM SMN
Rafoot - Asura (Formerly of Lakshmi (Garuda)) - THF SAM BRD
#46 Jan 18 2013 at 8:07 PM Rating: Good
***
3,177 posts
IKickYoDog wrote:
I wish I could just subscribe to HBO, Showtime, ESPN, USA and TNT. That's all I need.

@Duo, where did you ever see a FFXIII commercial? I've never once seen a Final Fantasy commercial, of any type.

Edited, Jan 18th 2013 6:59pm by IKickYoDog


I've seen several FFXIII commercials, but it was Microsoft advertising it for Square-Enix, more or less. Since the whole Xbox logo came up afterwards.

This was mid-2010 ish. I've rarely seen FF commercials, otherwise.
____________________________
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Grover Eyeveen - Hyperion Server
Viva Eorzea Free Company/Linkshell Leader - Hyperion Server

Aegis Server (2012-2013)
Figaro Server (2010-2012)

Final Fantasy XI:
Retired

Blog
#47 Jan 18 2013 at 9:24 PM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,361 posts
Cord cutting is definitely a thing now.

http://paidcontent.org/2013/01/11/pay-tv-will-shrink-for-first-time-in-history-study-says-cable-watching-peaked-in-2012/

We got signed up with DISH for a ridiculously good contract, they were practically begging us to let them install. Before that though we spent more than a year with just an antenna and a home built DVR that worked perfectly. The amount they are charging us is more than worth it, plus we get a Hopper Smiley: nod
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 99 All times are in CDT
greensmoker, Karlina, KojiroSoma, squiress, TwistedOwl, Anonymous Guests (94)