Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

A Realm Reborn Opening Movie Now Live!Follow

#52 Jan 08 2013 at 9:29 AM Rating: Good
***
2,010 posts
Louiscool wrote:

It's pretty safe to assume they are going to add a voice over with the introduction, to explain to new players what the hell is going on.


After 1.0, nothing is safe to assume with SE anymore.
#53 Jan 08 2013 at 9:42 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
3,571 posts
Torrence wrote:
Louiscool wrote:

It's pretty safe to assume they are going to add a voice over with the introduction, to explain to new players what the hell is going on.


After 1.0, nothing is safe to assume with SE anymore.


Not really, this is a safe assumption. I know bashing 1.0 and SE gets you 'teh mad rate ups,' but at some point it gets old. If you can't admit that SE does cutscenes and story right, you're trolling.

Edited, Jan 8th 2013 10:48am by Louiscool
____________________________


#54 Jan 08 2013 at 9:53 AM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
ZAM Administrator
Avatar
*****
12,361 posts
Some people are just resigned to bashing SE in every breath they have, without objectively looking at things being done. It's all good. To some extent SE deserves it after the 1.0 debacle, but anyone who says there is nothing promising about 2.0 is just trolling here.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#55 Jan 08 2013 at 9:55 AM Rating: Good
***
3,176 posts
Torrence, we get it. You didn't like FFXIV 1.0. None of us did. We were all insulted by what we were given by SE and what we paid for, but there comes a line.

You didn't bother to see what the heck was going on while you were gone as evident from your posts. ("Unexplained explosions") which you can look up easily by going to any website and typing in what happened.

I have trust in Yoshi. Ever since he's taken over the game he's fulfilled on almost every promise he's made, something the 1.0 team never did. This time in 1.0 development, the head developers were complaining on Twitter that we as players never understood their vision, they never took alpha/beta feedback, never gave developer updates, nothing.

I think it's safe to say that Square learned a very harsh lesson from FFXIV, and they not only strengthened their communication with XIV but with XI as well. We now have forums, developer feedback (we're at what, 40 main Producer letters now?), and a whole blog on their main website dedicated to what is going on.

I'm sorry, but if you say nothing is safe to assume with SE anymore based off 1.0 and all that they've done so far to regain trust, I don't think there will ever come a point where you're satisfied.

Edited, Jan 8th 2013 7:56am by UltKnightGrover
____________________________
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Grover Eyeveen - Hyperion Server
Viva Eorzea Free Company/Linkshell Leader - Hyperion Server

Aegis Server (2012-2013)
Figaro Server (2010-2012)

Final Fantasy XI:
Retired

Blog
#56 Jan 08 2013 at 10:18 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
3,571 posts
UltKnightGrover wrote:

I have trust in Yoshi. Ever since he's taken over the game he's fulfilled on almost every promise he's made, something the 1.0 team never did. This time in 1.0 development, the head developers were complaining on Twitter that we as players never understood their vision, they never took alpha/beta feedback, never gave developer updates, nothing.



This is exactly how I feel as well. It's Yoshi-P, not SE that I trust.

I'll white knight the **** out of Yoshi-P, he's made good on every. single. promise. He's worked so hard with the community, polled us on every major change, listened and delivered as best as he could. When a complaint is raised, there's a dev response most of the time on the official forums, even if it isn't what the community wanted to hear. (Relic Weapons, RNG, and Imperial Attack Hats seemed to be the most often critiques that the devs said they could not or would not change until 2.0)
____________________________


#57 Jan 08 2013 at 10:21 AM Rating: Default
***
2,202 posts
Louiscool wrote:
Torrence wrote:
Louiscool wrote:

It's pretty safe to assume they are going to add a voice over with the introduction, to explain to new players what the hell is going on.


After 1.0, nothing is safe to assume with SE anymore.


Not really, this is a safe assumption. I know bashing 1.0 and SE gets you 'teh mad rate ups,' but at some point it gets old. If you can't admit that SE does cutscenes and story right, you're trolling.

Edited, Jan 8th 2013 10:48am by Louiscool


Correction Square did Story, Cutscenes and Gameplay. SE does Cutscenes. Unless you could mention a game done by SE that tells an amazing story..... I'll Wait!


Please XIV Story is a joke. It's presentation is good whoever.
____________________________
MUTED
#58Ostia, Posted: Jan 08 2013 at 10:23 AM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) That Flood! Smiley: lol
#59electromagnet83, Posted: Jan 08 2013 at 10:24 AM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) Maybe for an arm to reach out and tickle him?
#60 Jan 08 2013 at 10:25 AM Rating: Decent
***
3,176 posts
Ostia wrote:
Louiscool wrote:
Torrence wrote:
Louiscool wrote:

It's pretty safe to assume they are going to add a voice over with the introduction, to explain to new players what the hell is going on.


After 1.0, nothing is safe to assume with SE anymore.


Not really, this is a safe assumption. I know bashing 1.0 and SE gets you 'teh mad rate ups,' but at some point it gets old. If you can't admit that SE does cutscenes and story right, you're trolling.

Edited, Jan 8th 2013 10:48am by Louiscool


Correction Square did Story, Cutscenes and Gameplay. SE does Cutscenes. Unless you could mention a game done by SE that tells an amazing story..... I'll Wait!



Ostia, we've had this discussion many times. It's not SE that destroyed the chemistry, it's the splitting of the development teams.

See: Hiroyuki Ito, Yoshinori Kitase.
____________________________
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Grover Eyeveen - Hyperion Server
Viva Eorzea Free Company/Linkshell Leader - Hyperion Server

Aegis Server (2012-2013)
Figaro Server (2010-2012)

Final Fantasy XI:
Retired

Blog
#61 Jan 08 2013 at 10:30 AM Rating: Default
***
2,202 posts
Because back in the snes/ps1 era Ito and kitase worked on every title together........ Oh Wait! They din't..... Hmm!
____________________________
MUTED
#62 Jan 08 2013 at 10:50 AM Rating: Good
***
3,176 posts
Ostia wrote:
Because back in the snes/ps1 era Ito and kitase worked on every title together........ Oh Wait! They din't..... Hmm!


I know you're trying to troll, but look closer at the credits of Final Fantasy V, VI, VII, and VIII next time. 'Kay?

It was after VIII when they started to split up the teams in order to get production on the games done quicker. That also split up the talent so we have a mashup between linear games with all story and open-world Ivalices with hardly any story. Not to mention we had big man Sakaguchi at the ultimate helm who would make sure everything is meshed well at the end in the SNES/PS1 era. The people I mentioned who are at the helms just want to make sure they followed their vision no matter what their players thought. (See: FFX/XIII)

---

But anyway, back on topic. FFXIV didn't suffer because of S-E in the name. S-E may have screwed up things by rushing it, but in the end the production team was too confident and ARR humbled them quite a bit. You can't roll off pieces off crap, stick FF on it, and we'll accept it with open arms. We looked up to the series for its legendary status of delivering us a quality experience even if we're divided on the aspects of what we liked about it. All XIV 1.0 had running for it was the promise of a rebuilt game, and we're seeing a fruit of those promises.



Edited, Jan 8th 2013 8:54am by UltKnightGrover
____________________________
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Grover Eyeveen - Hyperion Server
Viva Eorzea Free Company/Linkshell Leader - Hyperion Server

Aegis Server (2012-2013)
Figaro Server (2010-2012)

Final Fantasy XI:
Retired

Blog
#63 Jan 08 2013 at 11:39 AM Rating: Good
*
52 posts
Am i the only one here who didnt think XIV was that bad? i mean there were a lot of poorly implemented features, but i was able to get around it. It definitely needed work to be done, but i still think it was a better game than old republic...
#64 Jan 08 2013 at 11:52 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,163 posts
balishag wrote:
Am i the only one here who didnt think XIV was that bad? i mean there were a lot of poorly implemented features, but i was able to get around it. It definitely needed work to be done, but i still think it was a better game than old republic...


How long did you play and when did you start playing? I started in April 2012 and loved it. I could see some stuff that needed tweaking but overall I liked it a lot. I don't think however, anyone playing from year one would agree that the last few months make up for 1.5 years of horrible game play. That's what I'm getting anyway.
#65 Jan 08 2013 at 11:57 AM Rating: Good
***
3,176 posts
Around the end of 2011 was when it started getting better. The end of 2010 and early 2011 was full of unfinished features poor mechanics and an empty world.

Can you believe there was a time when there was no grand companies, no jobs, no primal fights, 15 member parties, every class could use every ability, and THM can solo HNMs with debuffing abilities and a Regen spell that was better than any Cure?

That was only a portion of the mess that people were talking about on launch. I didn't even get into how poor the market system used to be.

Edited, Jan 8th 2013 9:58am by UltKnightGrover
____________________________
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Grover Eyeveen - Hyperion Server
Viva Eorzea Free Company/Linkshell Leader - Hyperion Server

Aegis Server (2012-2013)
Figaro Server (2010-2012)

Final Fantasy XI:
Retired

Blog
#66 Jan 08 2013 at 12:47 PM Rating: Decent
***
2,202 posts
UltKnightGrover wrote:
Ostia wrote:
Because back in the snes/ps1 era Ito and kitase worked on every title together........ Oh Wait! They din't..... Hmm!


I know you're trying to troll, but look closer at the credits of Final Fantasy V, VI, VII, and VIII next time. 'Kay?

It was after VIII when they started to split up the teams in order to get production on the games done quicker. That also split up the talent so we have a mashup between linear games with all story and open-world Ivalices with hardly any story. Not to mention we had big man Sakaguchi at the ultimate helm who would make sure everything is meshed well at the end in the SNES/PS1 era. The people I mentioned who are at the helms just want to make sure they followed their vision no matter what their players thought. (See: FFX/XIII)

---

But anyway, back on topic. FFXIV didn't suffer because of S-E in the name. S-E may have screwed up things by rushing it, but in the end the production team was too confident and ARR humbled them quite a bit. You can't roll off pieces off crap, stick FF on it, and we'll accept it with open arms. We looked up to the series for its legendary status of delivering us a quality experience even if we're divided on the aspects of what we liked about it. All XIV 1.0 had running for it was the promise of a rebuilt game, and we're seeing a fruit of those promises.

Edited, Jan 8th 2013 8:54am by UltKnightGrover


Did kitase worked on FF1-2-3-4 ? Parasite Eve ? Xenogears ? Final Fantasy Tactics ? Vagrant Story ? Secret of Mana ? Final Fantasy XII ?

I'll give you VI for that is my all time favorite Final Fantasy Game. And even then he was following Sakaguchis Script. Look at the games kitase has made on his own post sakaguchi.... Failures in the story line department, FFXIII is horrid. XIII2 even more so, i want XIII3 to come out just to see what crazy excuse for plot he comes up with this time around.

FFVII was not a kitase/ito work it was a kitase/ito/nomura work... The game was the game it was not only because of the timing of its release, but the choices nomura made specifically. But as you noted, who was the man leading them ? The man with the vision ? Sakaguchi. Is sakaguchi still on Square-Enix ? Hmm he is not Huh ? Have all this problems risen after his departure ? I believe so.. I mean for how bad the writing in VIII was, we still look at it as an "Ok" game. Unlike how most people see XIII and XIII-2 (XII was on the works before sakaguchi and yazmat left and even then you can feel the absolute WTF in that game with their departure.)

You cannot take a vital part of a team out and still expect the team to function as if nothing happened, wada is not replacement for sakaguchi, he is just not, we can dice it as differently as we want, but SE is not Square, nor does it produce the same type of results, you can blame that ito and kitase are not teaming up, but back in square day's they where not the sole saviors of Square. There where plenty of other IP's that where successful and had nothing to do with ito or kitase working together.
____________________________
MUTED
#67 Jan 08 2013 at 12:55 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
3,571 posts
balishag wrote:
Am i the only one here who didnt think XIV was that bad? i mean there were a lot of poorly implemented features, but i was able to get around it. It definitely needed work to be done, but i still think it was a better game than old republic...


You're not the only one. I enjoyed it a lot in the first month until it became clear that the content wasn't there. When I returned after jobs were implemented, I was overwhelmed by the changes and content, and convinced a few friends to return. We all had fun, though it had problems, because they were promised to be fixed and the base of the game was genuinely fun, along with the lore and story being built.

Quote:
Can you believe there was a time when there was no grand companies, no jobs, no primal fights, 15 member parties, every class could use every ability, and THM can solo HNMs with debuffing abilities and a Regen spell that was better than any Cure?


I remember when we couldn't exp party because one member would randomly get NO exp, and your exp was based on actions done. And when every class could solo because of shock spikes, and Archer could kill any mob in seconds lol.

Edited, Jan 8th 2013 2:10pm by Louiscool
____________________________


#68 Jan 08 2013 at 12:55 PM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
ZAM Administrator
Avatar
*****
12,361 posts
These kinds of arguments make me want to Smiley: banghead
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#69 Jan 08 2013 at 1:26 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
******
27,278 posts
Wint wrote:
These kinds of arguments make me want to Smiley: banghead
Could be worse. You could be a Youtube comments moderator.
____________________________
Someone on another forum wrote:
Wow, you've got an awesome writing style.! I really dig the narrator's back story, humor, sarcasm, and the plethora of pop culture references. Altogether a refreshingly different RotR journal (not that I don't like the more traditional ones, mind you).

#70 Jan 08 2013 at 1:33 PM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
ZAM Administrator
Avatar
*****
12,361 posts
The One and Only Poldaran wrote:
Wint wrote:
These kinds of arguments make me want to Smiley: banghead
Could be worse. You could be a Youtube comments moderator.


I'm sure they get some variety at least. I've seen this argument so many times my eyes are bleeding.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#71 Jan 08 2013 at 1:42 PM Rating: Good
**
465 posts
Llester wrote:
Oh, and its a damn trailer. Is everyone really this bored?

Well, the last third of it comes off like a trailer. But it's not supposed to be, and the "End of an Era" part is no trailer.. So after a gripping and emotional cinematic, we get to a mash-up of random scenes that lack context. We go through six scenes before we get to our adventurers - by then we've seen too much of a return to normalcy to be concerned about them, so much of the suspense about what happened to them (us) is gone.

After what they released in November, I think people were hoping for that excitement to continue.. And this seemed too generic - after the Limit Break trailer, did anyone really want to see over a minute of people riding chocobos? And that's your first scene here? To me they could have presented something much more engrossing after 1.0's epic finale.

That said, it wasn't terrible; the tree roots regressing in Odin's presence was a brilliant touch, and the Crystal Tower made the Behemoth shot more interesting than it could have been. I'm just underwhelmed by the sum if its parts, and I think they'd have done themselves a favor if they didn't leave the viewer, particularly someone new to the game, with so many continuity questions.

Edited, Jan 8th 2013 2:45pm by Coyohma
____________________________
Lodestone
#72 Jan 08 2013 at 3:51 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
****
4,266 posts
Louiscool wrote:
UltKnightGrover wrote:

I have trust in Yoshi. Ever since he's taken over the game he's fulfilled on almost every promise he's made, something the 1.0 team never did. This time in 1.0 development, the head developers were complaining on Twitter that we as players never understood their vision, they never took alpha/beta feedback, never gave developer updates, nothing.



This is exactly how I feel as well. It's Yoshi-P, not SE that I trust.

I'll white knight the **** out of Yoshi-P, he's made good on every. single. promise. He's worked so hard with the community, polled us on every major change, listened and delivered as best as he could. When a complaint is raised, there's a dev response most of the time on the official forums, even if it isn't what the community wanted to hear. (Relic Weapons, RNG, and Imperial Attack Hats seemed to be the most often critiques that the devs said they could not or would not change until 2.0)



^ This.

As far as 'flood'. We had a new alpha video every week alpha was out for eight weeks straight. That Flood Indeed.
#73 Jan 08 2013 at 8:20 PM Rating: Good
Needs More Smut
Avatar
******
20,088 posts
From what I remember about the complaints of 1.0 alpha and beta, they weren't even things related to "vision of gameplay." They were "my menus lag when I open them wtf" "I'm only getting 5 fps in the cities" "I can't see all the characters on the screen" "I keep crashing for no reason" "omg laaaaaaaaaag" and things of that nature. The testers couldn't see their vision of the game because the frickin game was broken, period.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck. Once again a top bard on the server: Dardaubla 90 on 1/6/2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest on Lamia - Member of The Swarm and the League of Extraordinary Crafters
#74 Jan 08 2013 at 10:18 PM Rating: Good
***
3,176 posts
Fatigue system was what I meant.
____________________________
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Grover Eyeveen - Hyperion Server
Viva Eorzea Free Company/Linkshell Leader - Hyperion Server

Aegis Server (2012-2013)
Figaro Server (2010-2012)

Final Fantasy XI:
Retired

Blog
#75 Jan 08 2013 at 11:13 PM Rating: Excellent
Sage
***
1,675 posts
This is new to me.

The beginning of the movie reminds me of Lost Odyssey. Then I found it hilarious when the dragon scorched the Eoreza. It was like Yoshi was like F-this world, we're making a new one.

Like I said in another thread I'm not as excited as I was when 1.0 came out, but with 2.0 I probably should be more excited.

But CG really doesn't impress me in general. It impresses me in a technical sense, but now I need substance, content, a solid UI, and a sense of inquisitiveness and adventure. I want to travel and experience another world, to go to hidden corners and to be awed. CG in some ways takes that imagination out of the gaming experience, at least for me.
#76 Jan 09 2013 at 8:04 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
3,571 posts
catwho wrote:
From what I remember about the complaints of 1.0 alpha and beta, they weren't even things related to "vision of gameplay." They were "my menus lag when I open them wtf" "I'm only getting 5 fps in the cities" "I can't see all the characters on the screen" "I keep crashing for no reason" "omg laaaaaaaaaag" and things of that nature. The testers couldn't see their vision of the game because the frickin game was broken, period.


Many forget that the game had a SOFTWARE MOUSE too...

Of all the stupid idiotic things you can do, they emulated the ****ing mouse, causing the appearance of mouse lag...
____________________________


#77 Jan 09 2013 at 10:36 AM Rating: Good
***
2,010 posts
Kierk wrote:


But CG really doesn't impress me in general. It impresses me in a technical sense, but now I need substance, content, a solid UI, and a sense of inquisitiveness and adventure. I want to travel and experience another world, to go to hidden corners and to be awed. CG in some ways takes that imagination out of the gaming experience, at least for me.


I'll agree with this. The proof is going to be in the stuff that happens outside the trailers, really. Folks can talk about being impressed by this cinematic from dusk until dawn but it doesn't change the fact that SE's ability to produce a quality cutscene was never in question. Their ability to bring a solid and modern gaming experience is. Personally, I think it would have been better to have brought us footage of the actual game in lieu of this movie.

I'm actually pretty impressed with Yoshi-p in general, but I'm not going to pretend that a pretty trailer is all SE needs to show to prove this game is going to be worth taking a second look at. And frankly, the people who have been reading those 40 some odd developer letters are not the people Yoshi-P needs to convince. He needs to convince the rest of the masses that moved on very quickly after the initial failure.
#78 Jan 09 2013 at 10:59 AM Rating: Good
**
792 posts
Judging the CG on it's own merit, which is all we should really be doing, I was very impressed. A few of my friends also checked out the trailer after I told them to sign up for the beta, and they were all blown away. One of them who hated XIII (never finished it) was even inspired enough to pick up FFXIII-2 and try to delve back into the FF universe.

From comments I read on Kotaku and other sites, the trailer seems to evoke strong feelings of 'final fantasy' and nostalgia for many people. It's epic, pretty, and is packed full of FF elements even to those uninitiated with FF (Bane Voice: but we are, aren't we Bruce?): classic jobs, meteors, summons, judge-looking guys, epic battles, drama, sacrifice, time travel, beautiful landscapes, behemoths, birds, and epic music. What more could people ask for out of this trailer, honestly? Oh, and I echo the sentiment that I don't want the entire game to be ruined before even playing it... it's like watching a movie trailer that gives away the ending (my most recent experience with this was Life of Pi, glad I read it first). So, in short, if it's good enough for the new audience SE is trying to attract... it's good enough for us veterans as well, and on the whole people are just being too negative.

And now I permit you to criticize.
____________________________
I might be an onion thief, but I'm still a thief.™





#79 Jan 09 2013 at 11:16 AM Rating: Good
***
2,202 posts
I do not think people are criticizing the trailer itself, is just that every SE game has a nice Trailer. It is what they do, from FFVII foward, every game has had a very appealing visual trailer, and it does sometimes works againts them, take XIII and XIV, and XIII-2 for example, awesome trailers on all 3, that make you wanna go and buy the game, and play 80 hours... Yet what was delivered was utter garbage in gameplay and story delivery. The trailer translated 0% into the games, and with an MMORGP is even harder to translate what you see in a trailer into what will be in the game.

I personally would have wanted gameplay footage, something new and flashy, showcase some of the classes, because is not like we do not know what classes will eventually show up in the game, is not like we are gonna be like "OMG IS A SUMMONER!!! I AM SO IMPRESSED!"
____________________________
MUTED
#80 Jan 09 2013 at 12:05 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
2,143 posts
Besides, we are bored by the wait.




;)
#81 Jan 09 2013 at 1:38 PM Rating: Excellent
**
792 posts
Ostia wrote:
I do not think people are criticizing the trailer itself, is just that every SE game has a nice Trailer. It is what they do, from FFVII foward, every game has had a very appealing visual trailer, and it does sometimes works againts them, take XIII and XIV, and XIII-2 for example, awesome trailers on all 3, that make you wanna go and buy the game, and play 80 hours... Yet what was delivered was utter garbage in gameplay and story delivery. The trailer translated 0% into the games, and with an MMORGP is even harder to translate what you see in a trailer into what will be in the game.

I personally would have wanted gameplay footage, something new and flashy, showcase some of the classes, because is not like we do not know what classes will eventually show up in the game, is not like we are gonna be like "OMG IS A SUMMONER!!! I AM SO IMPRESSED!"


I understand that, but as I said, "judging the trailer on its own merit"... this thread is supposed to be about the trailer, and less about gameplay (or gameplay speculation), no?

And why would you want gameplay footage in an opening movie for a game? Generally when people are watching opening movies they're about to play the game... opening movies are supposed to be flashy.
____________________________
I might be an onion thief, but I'm still a thief.™





#82 Jan 09 2013 at 8:19 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
It's not like I necessarily fault SE for it; the team that does the trailer is probably in no way highly involved with the gameplay elements that the game's success is really hinging on. They've got a job to do, too, and I'm sure in their mind, they can't sit around waiting for validation from the playerbase that the rest of the game looks good. But it feels like bad timing. People are still very skeptical about the game; they want to see substance. Flash like this is great for increasing existing hype... it's like a multiplier bonus. You don't play it until you've nearly maxed out the base stat.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#83 Jan 09 2013 at 10:24 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
***
1,080 posts
Kierk wrote:
This is new to me.

The beginning of the movie reminds me of Lost Odyssey. Then I found it hilarious when the dragon scorched the Eoreza. It was like Yoshi was like F-this world, we're making a new one.

Like I said in another thread I'm not as excited as I was when 1.0 came out, but with 2.0 I probably should be more excited.

But CG really doesn't impress me in general. It impresses me in a technical sense, but now I need substance, content, a solid UI, and a sense of inquisitiveness and adventure. I want to travel and experience another world, to go to hidden corners and to be awed. CG in some ways takes that imagination out of the gaming experience, at least for me.


^ This. This. This.
The one thing that kept me playing FFXI long past my prime time there was the fact that so many areas there were incredibly beautiful and still gave me the same feelings after years of traveling thru.
Going thru Pashhow Marsh on my first trip to Jeuno, being scared spitless. Being lost in Yhoator and Yuhtunga for months, and I could practically smell the rotting earthy ground everytime a goblin kicked my arse. And freezing that same arse off in Beaucedine...really. Smiley: lol
That's what I expected in 1.0. Didn't happen. I'm ready to burn every other game disc I own at this point. I really need AAR to work, and am willing to give it every chance. A fairly generic hope-filled new ending to the movie isn't affecting that at all.
____________________________
A reader lives a thousand lives, the man who never reads lives only one. - George R.R. Martin
#84 Jan 09 2013 at 10:31 PM Rating: Excellent
Needs More Smut
Avatar
******
20,088 posts
That first, terrifying run through Buburimu as a level 10 Tarutaru white mage ....

What XI excelled at, and why its aging graphics are still satisfying in a way, is atmosphere. I'm chilling in front of the AH in Southern San d'Oria right now, occasionally working on kaginawa to level up clothcraft. My linkshell is having a raucus conversation about SE trolling us with lacy pink subligar in the future. (Everyone agrees if they had +50 STR on them, they'd wear them.) It's 1AM - the sky is dark and cloudy, the walls are cool and gray. And yet I feel protected in these fortress walls. I've "lived" in Sandy for five or six years now (emigrated from Windurst :P) so this place just feels like home.

SE needs ARR to capture that same kind of magic. Ul'dah never really felt like home to me, even though it was the only placed I ever lived in 1.0.

Edited, Jan 10th 2013 9:52am by catwho
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck. Once again a top bard on the server: Dardaubla 90 on 1/6/2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest on Lamia - Member of The Swarm and the League of Extraordinary Crafters
#85 Jan 10 2013 at 12:28 AM Rating: Good
***
3,530 posts
catwho wrote:
It's 1AM - the sky is dark and cloudy, the walls are cool and gray. And yet I feel protected in these fortress walls.... SE needs ARR to capture that same kind of magic. Ul'dah never really felt like home to me, even though it was the only placed I ever lived in 1.0.


Yes: ultimately that's what I'm most concerned about. I couldn't care less about their graphics or what-have-you, I just don't want all things like hippity-hopping players (admittedly a small concern), ubiquitous "!" NPCs, easily available instantaneous transportation, generic quest hubs, and 5-second battles to undermine what could have seemed like a world. If I can spot almost all of the underlying mechanics -- such as knowing monster levels, quest levels, quest goal locations, monster behaviour, relative instance difficulty, &c. -- within the first few minutes of playing, then your game will never elevate itself above a simple, straightforward MMO in which I go through the motions; it will never be a world. And, as you mentioned, the walls will never feel a though they're keeping me safe.
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#86 Jan 10 2013 at 12:41 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
3,571 posts
catwho wrote:
Ul'dah never really felt like home to me, even though it was the only placed I ever lived in 1.0.

Edited, Jan 10th 2013 9:52am by catwho


Ul'Dah is the Bastok of XIV... no wonder you never felt home.

Though I know what you mean. I love Limsa. The setting is great, even if the music isn't. I think FFXI did a great job of making you feel loyalty to your city-state, with the Conquest system. I know they don't want to copy FFXI but.... I miss the weekly tally and Conquest sooo much.
____________________________


#87 Jan 10 2013 at 12:56 PM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
ZAM Administrator
Avatar
*****
12,361 posts
Yeah that was always a point of pride, make sure Lastok stays last Smiley: nod
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#88 Jan 10 2013 at 2:00 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
***
2,602 posts
I must have been on the weirdo FFXI server, because I was always seeing Bastok and Sandy trading the first place slot while Windy languished in obscurity.

The conquest system was kinda cool, especially in a game with no pvp since you could get some sense of competition with the other players. Although I never really saw anyone take it seriously unless someone in the LS desperately wanted to flag an outpost
____________________________
svlyons wrote:
If random outcomes aren't acceptable to you, then don't play with random people.
#89 Jan 10 2013 at 2:19 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
*****
11,504 posts
Llester wrote:
Rinsui wrote:
Someone at the official forum sums up my feelings quite nicely:
Quote:
its not really an opening, its a montage.

An army of chocobos
Appearence of Odin
Behemoth
Crystal tower

None of these are explained, none of them are coherent, what is the point of them?


Its a trailer...its not FF Spirits Within part 2.

As for explanation, i think its pretty straightforward: New areas, new big bad boss, re-appearance of classic FF elements (Tower, Behemoth), and an obvious focus on Chocobos being a larger part of the game than we've seen in the past.

And clearly at least some of the NPCs made the time jump or otherwise survived. Can't have FF without Cid after all, and I was certainly pleased to see that the blindfolded pugilist Gridanian chick (name forgotten) with the badass leg armor survived.


We seen everything in this video split between trailers and the End of an Era video. It's not a trailer, it's an OPENING MOVIE. Hell even XI's opening conveyed more to the player about the game than this, if they didn't show End of an Era they'd have had something.

#90 Jan 10 2013 at 2:36 PM Rating: Excellent
Needs More Smut
Avatar
******
20,088 posts
Louiscool wrote:
catwho wrote:
Ul'dah never really felt like home to me, even though it was the only placed I ever lived in 1.0.

Edited, Jan 10th 2013 9:52am by catwho


Ul'Dah is the Bastok of XIV... no wonder you never felt home.

Though I know what you mean. I love Limsa. The setting is great, even if the music isn't. I think FFXI did a great job of making you feel loyalty to your city-state, with the Conquest system. I know they don't want to copy FFXI but.... I miss the weekly tally and Conquest sooo much.


Even Laughingstok had its own charm to it. I loved all the little secret places you could just hide, nooks and crannies and empty apartments, tiny little rooms that you could actually go into in the Metalworks... Ayame hanging out in the canonry, Naji bored on guard duty....
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck. Once again a top bard on the server: Dardaubla 90 on 1/6/2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest on Lamia - Member of The Swarm and the League of Extraordinary Crafters
#91 Jan 10 2013 at 3:47 PM Rating: Excellent
***
3,530 posts
Wint wrote:
Yeah that was always a point of pride, make sure Lastok stays last Smiley: nod


Lol! That's what we called Bastok on our server, too! Smiley: lol

Stop making me nostalgic, Wint, seriously. This is, what, three times in two days?
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#92 Jan 10 2013 at 3:55 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
779 posts
Archmage Callinon wrote:
I must have been on the weirdo FFXI server, because I was always seeing Bastok and Sandy trading the first place slot while Windy languished in obscurity.

The conquest system was kinda cool, especially in a game with no pvp since you could get some sense of competition with the other players. Although I never really saw anyone take it seriously unless someone in the LS desperately wanted to flag an outpost

The Free Company system has the potential to upsurp conquest if they get a little sandboxy with it. Entertwine it with the global economy. Make the free companies work under contract for shipbuilding companies, various other businesses.
#93 Jan 10 2013 at 7:22 PM Rating: Decent
*
52 posts
WFOAssassin wrote:
balishag wrote:
Am i the only one here who didnt think XIV was that bad? i mean there were a lot of poorly implemented features, but i was able to get around it. It definitely needed work to be done, but i still think it was a better game than old republic...


How long did you play and when did you start playing? I started in April 2012 and loved it. I could see some stuff that needed tweaking but overall I liked it a lot. I don't think however, anyone playing from year one would agree that the last few months make up for 1.5 years of horrible game play. That's what I'm getting anyway.


I started from day 1 and played for about a year, and then off and on after that. I simply didnt have as much time later on due to having a gf. I didnt really try out the last few months of 1.0. I think i updated and played about 2 hours worth, so i didnt get to explore any content. From what i've seen and read, it wasnt much of an upgrade and people were still leaving left and right.
#94 Jan 10 2013 at 8:31 PM Rating: Excellent
Sage
***
1,675 posts
catwho wrote:
That first, terrifying run through Buburimu as a level 10 Tarutaru white mage ....

What XI excelled at, and why its aging graphics are still satisfying in a way, is atmosphere. I'm chilling in front of the AH in Southern San d'Oria right now, occasionally working on kaginawa to level up clothcraft. My linkshell is having a raucus conversation about SE trolling us with lacy pink subligar in the future. (Everyone agrees if they had +50 STR on them, they'd wear them.) It's 1AM - the sky is dark and cloudy, the walls are cool and gray. And yet I feel protected in these fortress walls. I've "lived" in Sandy for five or six years now (emigrated from Windurst :P) so this place just feels like home.

SE needs ARR to capture that same kind of magic. Ul'dah never really felt like home to me, even though it was the only placed I ever lived in 1.0.

Edited, Jan 10th 2013 9:52am by catwho



^This.

Unfortunately for many reasons, personal and general, I don't think ANY MMO (let alone game) will match the "magic" of FFXI.

The areas in FFXI were not only well designed, they had great music, or no music in some instances. They, like Korraloka Tunnels had cool mobs like Gigas and Spiders and Jelly. There were a lot of ??? for things like the Ninja quest and the tunnel led to a totally different area. Granted it was from the expansion, but that was the version we NAs started out with.

Running through the tunnel or other tunnels like Gustav you heard just the winds through the tunnel with your footsteps. Simple. Yet effective.

These areas helped with the pace of the game. Slow. But effective.

Next to Bastok there were 6 different zones you could explore before you started leveling in Valkurm (level 10-12) and 3 of those were big zones. This made you want to progress, so that you could explore and reach more of the zones!

Ul'dah was too much like Jeuno right off the bat. And quick teleportation killed the sense of a "World." At least make a quest to obtain teleportation. Then other quests to expand the ability.

Anyway, yeah, there was a sense of atmosphere in FFXI that in FFXIV just didn't exist. Other MMOs like WoW touched on it, but even it never felt as "magical."
#95 Jan 10 2013 at 9:04 PM Rating: Excellent
Needs More Smut
Avatar
******
20,088 posts
Well, if I remember right, I believe they said they're doing away with the ability for you to teleport someplace you've never been with a party. That really did kill any incentive people had to go out and explore their backyards.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck. Once again a top bard on the server: Dardaubla 90 on 1/6/2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest on Lamia - Member of The Swarm and the League of Extraordinary Crafters
#96 Jan 11 2013 at 1:18 AM Rating: Decent
***
2,914 posts
Ostia wrote:
Louiscool wrote:
Torrence wrote:
Louiscool wrote:

It's pretty safe to assume they are going to add a voice over with the introduction, to explain to new players what the hell is going on.


After 1.0, nothing is safe to assume with SE anymore.


Not really, this is a safe assumption. I know bashing 1.0 and SE gets you 'teh mad rate ups,' but at some point it gets old. If you can't admit that SE does cutscenes and story right, you're trolling.

Edited, Jan 8th 2013 10:48am by Louiscool


Correction Square did Story, Cutscenes and Gameplay. SE does Cutscenes. Unless you could mention a game done by SE that tells an amazing story..... I'll Wait!


I know I'm feeding the troll, but there's this amazing game called NIER that..oh...oh what's this? "Square Enix"......Who is this.."Square-Enix"?

(Granted...SE then shut down cavia because Nier sold poorly. But it's an amazing story. Amazing. Leaps and bounds better than anything FF has produced post FFXI)

Also, trailer was amazing, bring on 2.0. I'm in.
#97 Jan 11 2013 at 6:58 AM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
ZAM Administrator
Avatar
*****
12,361 posts
I tried to get into Nier, just couldn't do it. I should give it another shot.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#98 Jan 11 2013 at 7:46 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
3,571 posts
catwho wrote:
Well, if I remember right, I believe they said they're doing away with the ability for you to teleport someplace you've never been with a party. That really did kill any incentive people had to go out and explore their backyards.


This would actually do wonders for exploration. I got all my own teleports in FFXIV, but I know most people would just have their friend tele them around to grab them. 2.0 needs those little "chores" like getting your tele points or having places you cannot teleport to and need to airship to or take the boat (Like a Kahzam EXP Party).

This is probably why I loved the game's final quest so much. Having to travel the world and pray at all the altars in places I've never been was so satisfying in the strangest way.

Edited, Jan 11th 2013 1:03pm by Louiscool
____________________________


#99 Jan 11 2013 at 2:41 PM Rating: Default
***
2,202 posts
plutoknight wrote:
Ostia wrote:
Louiscool wrote:
Torrence wrote:
Louiscool wrote:

It's pretty safe to assume they are going to add a voice over with the introduction, to explain to new players what the hell is going on.


After 1.0, nothing is safe to assume with SE anymore.


Not really, this is a safe assumption. I know bashing 1.0 and SE gets you 'teh mad rate ups,' but at some point it gets old. If you can't admit that SE does cutscenes and story right, you're trolling.

Edited, Jan 8th 2013 10:48am by Louiscool


Correction Square did Story, Cutscenes and Gameplay. SE does Cutscenes. Unless you could mention a game done by SE that tells an amazing story..... I'll Wait!


I know I'm feeding the troll, but there's this amazing game called NIER that..oh...oh what's this? "Square Enix"......Who is this.."Square-Enix"?

(Granted...SE then shut down cavia because Nier sold poorly. But it's an amazing story. Amazing. Leaps and bounds better than anything FF has produced post FFXI)

Also, trailer was amazing, bring on 2.0. I'm in.


Really ? Nier ? That's the best you can come up with ? Nier ? Really ? The bomb game ? NIER ? You really mean Nier ? The game that had a lot of potential and went Puff! ? Come on!
____________________________
MUTED
#100 Jan 11 2013 at 2:53 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
Avatar
*****
11,504 posts
plutoknight wrote:
Ostia wrote:
Louiscool wrote:
Torrence wrote:
Louiscool wrote:

It's pretty safe to assume they are going to add a voice over with the introduction, to explain to new players what the hell is going on.


After 1.0, nothing is safe to assume with SE anymore.


Not really, this is a safe assumption. I know bashing 1.0 and SE gets you 'teh mad rate ups,' but at some point it gets old. If you can't admit that SE does cutscenes and story right, you're trolling.

Edited, Jan 8th 2013 10:48am by Louiscool


Correction Square did Story, Cutscenes and Gameplay. SE does Cutscenes. Unless you could mention a game done by SE that tells an amazing story..... I'll Wait!


I know I'm feeding the troll, but there's this amazing game called NIER that..oh...oh what's this? "Square Enix"......Who is this.."Square-Enix"?

(Granted...SE then shut down cavia because Nier sold poorly. But it's an amazing story. Amazing. Leaps and bounds better than anything FF has produced post FFXI)

Also, trailer was amazing, bring on 2.0. I'm in.


Yeah, Ostia does nothing but berate SE and every game they produce, yet continues to hang around forums and news articles dedicated towards SE's games. It's quite fascinating actually. Oh and he's probably going to retort with: "SE defense force" or some other stupid sh*t. Best to ignore him.

Edited, Jan 11th 2013 12:53pm by Theonehio
#101 Jan 11 2013 at 3:08 PM Rating: Good
catwho wrote:
Well, if I remember right, I believe they said they're doing away with the ability for you to teleport someplace you've never been with a party. That really did kill any incentive people had to go out and explore their backyards.


What killed my incentive was the mobs randomly popping on you and slaughtering you. When you could actually see the mobs, certain areas were definitely fun to try and creep through, especially Mor Dhona. I just remember a few times trying to get through certain areas of the Black Shroud, waiting, seeing nothing load...waiting some more, ok paths clear and BAM dead. So after awhile you just said f*ck it, someone teleport me there.

2.0 is supposed to have better server structure, so hopefully it'll be like in the olden days of FFXI. That first trek you ever took to Jeuno, everyone remembers that.
____________________________

Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 152 All times are in CDT