Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Can anyone spare a PS2 copy ?Follow

#1 Feb 21 2013 at 8:05 AM Rating: Good
26 posts
Hello everyone, I know that this is a highly laughable request but I was wondering if anyone could spare a copy of the ps2 version so that I can install the game on my PS3 , I know that I wont be able to get the newest version in March but I am not even sure if I will get back into the game enough to buy an XBOX 360. I played during the NA PS2 launch for 3 years and got 4 75 jobs then took a break for 6 months and added another 2 then I quit all together but now have the urge to play. If anyone is brave enough to send me a copy I will return it to you or if you are in the DC area we could meet up, I played on the Gilgamesh server as Marv and Tonberryprince in case any of the older folks are still on.
#2 Feb 21 2013 at 9:19 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
4,406 posts
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but considdering the unavailability of discs in general (PC, XBOX, PS2), you'd be hard pressed finding someone that has them to begin with.

But the thing is more, you cant actually play the game on a console without having the physical disc inside it. While you can install it, you need the actual game inside the disc drive to play it.

So simply "lending" you the disc is not going to work. And as far as purchasing go, physical console discs go for anywhere from 80 to 800+ dollars.

Just get a PC, any kind of PC, download the game from steam or even torrent it, and play it on there. If you have a a PC made in the last 12 years, you can play it.
____________________________
[XI] Surivere of Valefor
[XIV] Sir Surian Bedivere of Behemoth
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/2401553/
#4 Feb 21 2013 at 9:40 AM Rating: Good
26 posts
They are pretty expensive, cheapest that I can find is $65.00 brand new. I was just hoping to not plunk down $65 just to see if I will be able to enjoy the game now that so much has changed, I dont know why I thought that the PS3 would run the game without the Disc but it does look like I will need to buy a copy unless someone has one that they dont need due to switching over. I had my discs for 3 years after I stopped playing until my wife threw them away.
#5 Feb 21 2013 at 10:04 AM Rating: Excellent
Zelduh wrote:
The PS2 version is superior so don't listen to them, you can buy a copy of any of the disks you need on Amazon or Ebay or something, there's literally no way it would be 800 dollars, they should be dirt cheap. Not everyone likes playing on PC.


Don't start things up again. That very attitude forced me to lock that other topic, so don't start that here. The PS2 version is graphically inferior as well as just not being able to run as smoothly. I have nothing against you saying that you feel that it's better in your own opinion, but don't comment on it like it's a proven fact.

That being said, I would imagine that the OP has contemplated the PC version already (though if you have any desire to play the new expansion at some point in the future, you'll want a PC or 360, since a PS2 release isn't being supported in NA) and at present wants to pursue that, so let's just leave it at that and focus on his question.
____________________________
Lady Jinte wrote:

Vlorsutes' Negotiation Skill rises 0.2 points
Vlorsutes' Observant Parent Skill rises 0.3 points
Vlorsutes' Argument Diffusing Skill rises 0.1 points

#6 Feb 21 2013 at 10:25 AM Rating: Excellent
***
2,010 posts
Actually I'm pretty sure that the Ps2 can play it without the disc inside. It's truly installed to the hard drive, unlike the xbox version but that's more an xbox requirement for their anti-piracy efforts or whatever. I don't remember ever worrying about changing out whatever offline game I had on to play XI - I just loaded it from the navigation screen from the hard drive.

Again, that's going back years and beers so I could be remembering completely wrong. I wish you lived closer, I'd loan you mine. I get down to GloCity every now and again, but won't have a trip scheduled there for months.

Edited, Feb 21st 2013 11:27am by Torrence
#7 Feb 21 2013 at 10:30 AM Rating: Excellent
Sage
****
5,684 posts
Regardless if you find a used PS2 or xbox360 copy, you will need to get your account up to date with all of the expansions.

Right now, FFXI Abyssea Collection is $10 on Amazon (typically $20), it will include codes for all expansions (except Seekers). This does not restrict you to playing on PC, but it is by far the cheapest option.
____________________________
Signature starts here.
#8 Feb 21 2013 at 10:52 AM Rating: Decent
26 posts
For the game its the cheapest option , the PC version is cheap an available everywhere but I dont want to buy a new PC or steal my wifes laptop, for the internet I just use my Ipad so I have not really had a need for a pc. I guess I will just need to bite the bullet and buy the 2008 edition for the $65 that I saw on Amazon. Thanks for the responses everyone.
#9 Feb 21 2013 at 10:59 AM Rating: Decent
*
102 posts
would be cheaper buying the pc version. a cheap low cost pc would be able to run it fine. or get the 360 version. seems like the expansions are going to be made on just pc/360 so if you want the new one too it wont be coming for the ps2
____________________________
(Main Pup). other Sch etc .main server Bismarck. was on Phoenix for while

www.youtube.com/user/nyheen for puppetmaster NM solo episodes :)
#10 Feb 21 2013 at 12:05 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
****
9,356 posts
I don't see why you don't just play on your wife's laptop and let her use the ipad if you're gaming. Heck my partner is always grabbing my ipad. I just use one of the other computers in the house - sharing is pretty normal in relationships. I mean, unless she works from home and only in the hours you'd be likely to be gaming, then that could cause a problem I suppose, but I am guessing that's not the case

Edited, Feb 21st 2013 10:05am by Olorinus
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.

clicky
#11 Feb 21 2013 at 12:26 PM Rating: Excellent
26 posts
She likes to skype with her family in Brazil and do her facebook stuff on her laptop , and I have no apps, pictures, or any other bloat garbage on my Ipad and I would like to keep it that way. Although luck has it that she doesn’t like the Ipad so at least I don’t have to worry about her trying to use it and installing all kinds of stuff.

Her laptop is like her best friend, she comes home and uses it until she sleeps at night. I have no idea what facebook is about but she does all of her communicating to her friends and family through it, chatting, messaging etc. I only use it when I need to update budgets and other excel files that can be done quicker on the laptop and it is, for the most part, only a few minutes of use.

Something’s after time you just learn to leave alone and plus it’s nice to have things for yourself, she won’t be driving my 2013 Ducati anytime soon that’s for sure.
.

#12 Feb 21 2013 at 1:54 PM Rating: Excellent
Keep an eye out on Craigslist. You may find an older computer that can easily run this game cheaper than the $65 for a PS2 disc.
____________________________
"Beyond poor, Beyond ostracized, Destined to be obscured" Black Nurse
#15 Feb 21 2013 at 2:10 PM Rating: Excellent
Sage
****
5,684 posts
Neryjr wrote:
For the game its the cheapest option , the PC version is cheap an available everywhere but I dont want to buy a new PC or steal my wifes laptop, for the internet I just use my Ipad so I have not really had a need for a pc. I guess I will just need to bite the bullet and buy the 2008 edition for the $65 that I saw on Amazon. Thanks for the responses everyone.
Currently, new copies of xbox and ps2 collections are difficult to find, but used copies can be common on ebay or craig's list. The problem with used copies is that they don't come with codes, but since you already have an account and are not interested in expansions, you only need a used copy (exactly what you asked for). In the case of many people, they want to remain on their PS2/xbox, but instead of trying to find a new copy of the game, it's often cheaper to buy the game for PC, use the codes on their account, then have access to all the material through their ps2/xbox. Simply buying the game for the PC does not force you to play on PC, you won't even have to install anything if you go through Amazon.


Zelduh wrote:
Brokenwheel wrote:
Keep an eye out on Craigslist. You may find an older computer that can easily run this game cheaper than the $65 for a PS2 disc.
There's literally no way *any* PC costing less than $65 would run FFXI to an acceptable degree. It would run 10 times worse than the PS2, if it could even run it at all.
I concur, the bar may be low for PC, but not that low, but I am curious what it would take to run FFXI on a raspberry pi...

KojiroSoma wrote:
If you have a a PC made in the last 12 years, you can play it.
Zelduh wrote:
One of the first replies was basically trashing the PS2 version and saying ... any PC 50 years old could run it.
You were close.

Edited, Feb 21st 2013 2:12pm by xypin
____________________________
Signature starts here.
#16 Feb 21 2013 at 2:17 PM Rating: Excellent
******
44,314 posts
Oh boy, it's the same thread.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#17 Feb 21 2013 at 2:20 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
******
29,905 posts
When an admin tells you to please stop doing something, and then you go and keep doing that thing, it irritates us and people get muted. People who have names that begin with a Z in this particular instance.
____________________________
Arch Duke Kaolian Drachensborn, lvl 95 Ranger, Unrest Server
Tech support forum | FAQ (Support) | Mobile Zam: http://m.zam.com (Premium only)
Forum Rules
#18 Feb 21 2013 at 2:26 PM Rating: Excellent
Zelduh wrote:
Brokenwheel wrote:
Keep an eye out on Craigslist. You may find an older computer that can easily run this game cheaper than the $65 for a PS2 disc.


There's literally no way *any* PC costing less than $65 would run FFXI to an acceptable degree. It would run 10 times worse than the PS2, if it could even run it at all.



You'd be surprised what people put up on Craigslist.
____________________________
"Beyond poor, Beyond ostracized, Destined to be obscured" Black Nurse
#19 Feb 21 2013 at 2:28 PM Rating: Excellent
Needs More Smut
Avatar
******
20,519 posts
We throw PCs that could run FFXI in the garbage every day at my office...
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck. Once again a top bard on the server: Dardaubla 90 on 1/6/2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest on Lamia - Member of The Swarm and leader of Grammarian Tea House chat LS
#20 Feb 21 2013 at 3:01 PM Rating: Excellent
Zelduh wrote:
Professor Shock Vlorsutes wrote:
Zelduh wrote:
The PS2 version is superior so don't listen to them, you can buy a copy of any of the disks you need on Amazon or Ebay or something, there's literally no way it would be 800 dollars, they should be dirt cheap. Not everyone likes playing on PC.


Don't start things up again. That very attitude forced me to lock that other topic, so don't start that here. The PS2 version is graphically inferior as well as just not being able to run as smoothly. I have nothing against you saying that you feel that it's better in your own opinion, but don't comment on it like it's a proven fact.

That being said, I would imagine that the OP has contemplated the PC version already (though if you have any desire to play the new expansion at some point in the future, you'll want a PC or 360, since a PS2 release isn't being supported in NA) and at present wants to pursue that, so let's just leave it at that and focus on his question.


One of the first replies was basically trashing the PS2 version and saying to go PC or don't play at all because PC is so great and any PC 50 years old could run it, so I felt the need to add my own opinion that the PS2 version is still perfectly capable of running the game, people are just trying to scare him away from playing on it because of the stigma.


There's a difference between saying that it's perfectly capable of running the game and saying it's superior.


Edited, Feb 21st 2013 4:01pm by Vlorsutes
____________________________
Lady Jinte wrote:

Vlorsutes' Negotiation Skill rises 0.2 points
Vlorsutes' Observant Parent Skill rises 0.3 points
Vlorsutes' Argument Diffusing Skill rises 0.1 points

#21 Feb 21 2013 at 3:07 PM Rating: Excellent
***
2,010 posts
And if you see something, you can always post here asking for advice on whether it would run it. The folks in this thread aren't lying when they say pretty much anything from the last decade or so. I used to play on an IBM T42 notebook that had a pentium m and a radeon 7500 with 32 mb of vram. Ran like a champ.

I'd recommend at least taking a look at clist. I mean, if you are going to end up spending almost a hundred bucks anyway just for the discs, and have to buy the PC version for the expansions, and then not even get to play the newest one... The added benefit of a modest pc is being able to play other things that might not run on that ipad.
#22 Feb 21 2013 at 3:31 PM Rating: Good
26 posts
The one on Amazon is the 2008 version so it should have all the expansions so at least there’s that. Thing is, I started playing when I was 23 years old, unmarried, and had a lot more free time on my hands so coming home at 5:30 at night after work and playing until 2 AM was not a bad thing. I spent most of my time playing FFXI, so much that by the time that I started a new character , I leveled it to 75 in 6 weeks of this type of schedule(this was at the release of TOAU just for reference, things took longer then). I can’t do that at this point in my life so I am not sure what kind of investment I am going to make. I have no idea if I will get the new expansion, I just wanted to test the waters so to speak.

Who knows in a month or so XIV will be out and I may just take to that. I have a plethora of systems, Wii U, two playstation 3 systems(1 with and 1 without backwards compatibility), PS Vita, and a 3ds which give me the freedom to have a different array of games that I can jump on and get things done and then hop off. I need to be flexible with my time and make sure that I don’t neglect my wife or my work. I hear that FFXI has that kind of structure now and I just wanted to see if it was true, if it is that’s awesome because I loved this game but if not then I just cant bring myself to play it knowing that I may lose myself again.
#23 Feb 21 2013 at 3:54 PM Rating: Excellent
***
2,010 posts
It has the four basic expansions, but none of the add on scenarios nor the Abyssea content. So yea, you will be buying a second new copy of the game anyway. That's kind of why we were suggesting taking that money and putting it into a PC instead, since you have to buy the PC version (or the content separately which is wayyy more expensive). A hundred bucks or so is a pretty expensive trial period.
#24 Feb 21 2013 at 5:55 PM Rating: Excellent
**
323 posts
I have the individual PS2 discs for Original w/ Zilart , CoP , and ToAU that I don't have any use for , If your interested for free. I switched to xbox 360 when WotG came out but still use that from time to time so can't help with that.
____________________________



#25 Feb 21 2013 at 6:42 PM Rating: Excellent
26 posts
Thank you so much, I will send you a PM, I can buy WOTG and the pc ultimate edition to get the codes for the other add ons for cheaper than I can buy the 2008 edition or a PC for now .
#26 Feb 21 2013 at 7:23 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
****
6,241 posts
Just flipped my old PS2 PlayOnline disc over and it looks like it's been through a woodchipper.
____________________________
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Airships on fire off the shoulder of Bahamut. I watched Scapula Beams glitter in the dark near the Three Mage Gate...

Nilatai wrote:
Vlorsutes wrote:
There's always...not trolling him?

You're new here, aren't you?
#27 Feb 21 2013 at 8:22 PM Rating: Excellent
**
323 posts
Raelix wrote:
Just flipped my old PS2 PlayOnline disc over and it looks like it's been through a woodchipper.


Thought I'd better check mine before I mailed them out and all are in Mint condition ;)
I'll be sending them to Neryjr on monday

Edited, Feb 21st 2013 9:25pm by marsupialboy
____________________________



#28 Feb 21 2013 at 8:57 PM Rating: Excellent
**
323 posts
Neryjr wrote:
Thank you so much, I will send you a PM, I can buy WOTG and the pc ultimate edition to get the codes for the other add ons for cheaper than I can buy the 2008 edition or a PC for now .


I don't think you need to buy WotG seperately ,you should just need the code from the collection from steam to apply to your account,which comes with everything but the new expansion due out next month.
ETA... brain **** on my part! I'm not sure if expansions will download without the disks for PS2, was thinking of PC version sorry, so ya you might need a disk for WotG.

Edited, Feb 21st 2013 10:02pm by marsupialboy
____________________________



#29 Feb 21 2013 at 9:05 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
297 posts
Quote:
you might need a disk for WotG.


Need to have all expansions installed to get acess to the Aby areas. So yeah he would need the disc for WotG.
#30 Feb 22 2013 at 11:42 AM Rating: Excellent
Guru
Avatar
**
701 posts
catwho wrote:
We throw PCs that could run FFXI in the garbage every day at my office...


Same here. I've got a virtual mountain of PCs in my work area ready for surplus that are one bargain bin graphics card away from running FFXI rather decently. It's kind of a shame I can't give them away to needy gamers.
____________________________
Character: Camiie
Elvaan Female
Bastok Rank 10
MNK 99 / BST 99 / SMN 99 / DNC 99 / SAM 99 / WAR 99 / THF 99
#31 Mar 08 2013 at 10:30 AM Rating: Excellent
26 posts
marsupialboy wrote:
Neryjr wrote:
Thank you so much, I will send you a PM, I can buy WOTG and the pc ultimate edition to get the codes for the other add ons for cheaper than I can buy the 2008 edition or a PC for now .


I don't think you need to buy WotG seperately ,you should just need the code from the collection from steam to apply to your account,which comes with everything but the new expansion due out next month.
ETA... brain **** on my part! I'm not sure if expansions will download without the disks for PS2, was thinking of PC version sorry, so ya you might need a disk for WotG.

Edited, Feb 21st 2013 10:02pm by marsupialboy


I got the disc yesterday and got everything installed and updated(6 hour update for PS2 version with slow 25/15 Cable speed) and so far everything seems to be going good. To be honest it does boot a lot faster than my wifes Laptop and there seems to be less lag and load times, granted I have a solid state drive in my PS3 so that may play a part.

Anyway thanks again to marsupialboy, so happy that you were able to help me and the note was awesome! Thanks again.
#32 Mar 09 2013 at 12:59 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,809 posts
one thing i hated playing on the ps3 is the random crashes. zoning to an aby area or nyzle isle tends to crash for me.
#33 Mar 11 2013 at 1:08 PM Rating: Good
Neryjr wrote:
I got the disc yesterday and got everything installed and updated(6 hour update for PS2 version with slow 25/15 Cable speed) and so far everything seems to be going good. To be honest it does boot a lot faster than my wifes Laptop and there seems to be less lag and load times, granted I have a solid state drive in my PS3 so that may play a part.

Anyway thanks again to marsupialboy, so happy that you were able to help me and the note was awesome! Thanks again.

Nice! Was it hard to get a SSD in your PS3? Mine is starting to run low on the disk, so I'm thinking about getting a larger drive for it. Keep us updated on how the game performs with it. Thanks! :)
____________________________
Signature Image
Long Live Windurst! ( ^∀^)
Maat is a big bully! マート、大っ嫌い!( ⊃д⊂ )
Windurst Rank 10, San d'Oria Rank 10, Bastok Rank 10
Zombies are delicious: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YH_9GzaUW40
#34 Mar 12 2013 at 9:16 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
827 posts
Dread Lörd Kaolian wrote:
When an admin tells you to please stop doing something, and then you go and keep doing that thing, it irritates us and people get muted. People who have names that begin with a Z in this particular instance.

I would kiss you but..I'm not sure what's been on my monitor!

As for the topic at hand, I did see a couple of copies of FFXI for PS2 at a local used game shop, one of them was the Ultimate Collection if I recall. May have to stop in there again soon to see how much they are asking for it....mainly as a "keepsake" Smiley: lol
____________________________
VIVE LA RÉVOLUTION PONEY!
デーブは、ここではありません。
Urthdigger wrote:
First person view {You can have this.} I'm a galka and wore a subligar all the way to 50. You either learn to deal with it, or learn to enjoy the other party member's screams of agony.

Likibiki wrote:
I wish I could get parties of that standard. Sadly I seem to end up playing with myself all the time.

Signature Image
#35 Mar 19 2013 at 7:39 AM Rating: Decent
26 posts
kappachan, Eater of Souls wrote:
Neryjr wrote:
I got the disc yesterday and got everything installed and updated(6 hour update for PS2 version with slow 25/15 Cable speed) and so far everything seems to be going good. To be honest it does boot a lot faster than my wifes Laptop and there seems to be less lag and load times, granted I have a solid state drive in my PS3 so that may play a part.

Anyway thanks again to marsupialboy, so happy that you were able to help me and the note was awesome! Thanks again.

Nice! Was it hard to get a SSD in your PS3? Mine is starting to run low on the disk, so I'm thinking about getting a larger drive for it. Keep us updated on how the game performs with it. Thanks! :)



Getting the drive in there was no problem, and as for how the game performs , much better than my wife’s PC. I know a lot of people say that you can run FFXI on any PC from the past 6-10 years and I agree however the one thing that may be overlooked is how you will need to adjust your settings to make it playable. I would need to take the settings down to the lowest to get it to load as fast at boot and have the areas populate (Lower, upper, Jeuno or any populated area) as fast. Over all the PS3 is holding its own and I have no issues as of yet but I have not made it to any of the new prime locations.

On a side note , yes it looks like crap, but not unplayable, in fact I still play games like Brave Fencer Musashi (ps1) on my TV so I guess I am just not so much bothered by it when its the content of the game that I am interested in and not the graphics.

On another side note, I decided to get a new laptop so I can get the expansion, looks like I am officially back. I got a Sony Vaio VPCSE2KGX . If any tech guys are reading this and have a minute I had a question that I posted about the laptop on the Sony support site and have not gotten any response. I am having some trouble understanding what is going on with my Laptop. The system according to the spec sheet can have a maximum RAM of 8 GB however I installed 8 on top of the 4 on board and I can see and (system says anyway) use 12(well near it, less the OS usage) but Sony support says that I the laptop will not access all 12. So I guess i am not sure I trust their answer and wanted to check with others because :

1) The Intel i-7 2640M can use up to 16 GB of RAM

2) Windows 7 Pro can use up to 192GB of RAM

I can’t seem to find the exact model for the mother board however knowing that the i-7 and the OS can use more than 8GB and under Computer>properties it shows 12 GB total and 11.91 available I don’t know why the system would not access all of it if needed. Even the Bios shows it at 12GB. I am thinking that the Tech support rep either doesn’t know what they are talking about or I am missing something?

Thanks in advance for any feed back.
#36 Mar 19 2013 at 1:27 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
****
6,241 posts
If you put 12gb in it and it's showing twelve, the spec sheet is just wrong and you have 12gb. I don't see how reality is overridden by a piece of paper that says it'll only use 8gb, and support is just following the documentation even if you picked up the laptop and beat them with it.

Edited, Mar 19th 2013 12:28pm by Raelix
____________________________
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Airships on fire off the shoulder of Bahamut. I watched Scapula Beams glitter in the dark near the Three Mage Gate...

Nilatai wrote:
Vlorsutes wrote:
There's always...not trolling him?

You're new here, aren't you?
#37 Mar 19 2013 at 1:45 PM Rating: Good
26 posts
Yeah that is what I was thinking, I was asking the rep, "what do you mean the system will not use it , are you saying the CPU won’t use it , I can see it there so it should be in use, if it wasn’t being used because of the OS I would not be able to see it all and it would only show the maximum for the OS and nothing more" There only response is the memory is only upgradable to 8gb and the system will not use any more, the onboard memory is 4gb and you can add 4gb for a total of 8 gb maximum.

Not even exaggerating, that was his response to every rebuttal I had in trying to understand what he meant when he said the system will not use it. He repeated that 5 times after long pauses, I think either I confused him or he thought I was an idiot.

I bought 8gb since I did not know that 4 was integrated and not accessible , had I known that in the first place I would have only bought 4 but now I am glad that I got the 8 since from everything I can see the system accepted it and has it in use.

Its a sad state of support nowadays........
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 62 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (62)