Forum Settings
       
1 2 3 Next »
This thread is locked

So, PS2 is no longer supported?Follow

#102 Feb 17 2013 at 10:51 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
Avatar
****
6,222 posts
I had to use an AS400 once. What a blight on computing... Seriously the most obtuse piece of crap technology I've ever touched. It's not even a matter of it predating standards or anything, it's more like they just added and shuffled keys around however they felt like one day. No hotkey makes a lick of sense either.

Also, my hovercraft is full of eels.
____________________________
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Airships on fire off the shoulder of Bahamut. I watched Scapula Beams glitter in the dark near the Three Mage Gate...

Nilatai wrote:
Vlorsutes wrote:
There's always...not trolling him?

You're new here, aren't you?
#103 Feb 17 2013 at 12:10 PM Rating: Excellent
Drunken English Bastard
*****
15,246 posts
Are we done now?
____________________________
My Movember page
Solrain wrote:
WARs can use semi-colons however we want. I once killed a guy with a semi-colon.

LordFaramir wrote:
ODESNT MATTER CAUSE I HAVE ALCHOLOL IN MY VEINGS BETCH ;3
#105 Feb 17 2013 at 1:11 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
Avatar
****
6,222 posts
Zelduh wrote:
PC isn't a gaming system

Yeah, we're done here. He's gone full retard.
____________________________
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Airships on fire off the shoulder of Bahamut. I watched Scapula Beams glitter in the dark near the Three Mage Gate...

Nilatai wrote:
Vlorsutes wrote:
There's always...not trolling him?

You're new here, aren't you?
#106 Feb 17 2013 at 1:45 PM Rating: Good
Raelix wrote:
Brokenwheel wrote:
Is Zelduh and Kimjongil76 the same person? Now that I think of it, I've never seen either one in the same thread at the same time.

Well their names are the same color for roughly the same reasons.


You'd think as many times as their posts have been rated down that the color of their names would have changed too. Clear, maybe?
____________________________
"Beyond poor, Beyond ostracized, Destined to be obscured" Black Nurse
#107 Feb 17 2013 at 2:07 PM Rating: Excellent
Zelduh wrote:
PC isn't a gaming system, and FFXI is a PS2 game, therefore it will always be optimized for PS2


It was designed with every intention of being a multi-platform game (between the PS2 and the PC at the time it was released). Even though it was released on the PS2 first in Japan doesn't mean anything, since it was originally planned to be a simultaneous release on both the PS2 and PC, and the PC version was designed not just as a port of the PS2 version, but specifically taking the graphics cards of that time period in mind.

As for the PC not being a gaming system, maybe some factory built cheap one isn't, but there are expensive factory built ones and custom made ones specifically with gaming in mind. The graphics cards, processors, etc in them are chosen specifically for gaming in mind. That's why if you ever look at purchasing PCs online, one of the options you'll often see is to optimize it for gaming. The PC is very much capable of being a gaming system, and was capable of being one way back then then.
____________________________
Lady Jinte wrote:

Vlorsutes' Negotiation Skill rises 0.2 points
Vlorsutes' Observant Parent Skill rises 0.3 points
Vlorsutes' Argument Diffusing Skill rises 0.1 points


My thoughts and reviews on all sorts of sci-fi stuff...and things.
#108 Feb 17 2013 at 2:17 PM Rating: Excellent
Drunken English Bastard
*****
15,246 posts
Zelduh wrote:
PC isn't a gaming system, and FFXI is a PS2 game, therefore it will always be optimized for PS2

Smiley: laugh

____________________________
My Movember page
Solrain wrote:
WARs can use semi-colons however we want. I once killed a guy with a semi-colon.

LordFaramir wrote:
ODESNT MATTER CAUSE I HAVE ALCHOLOL IN MY VEINGS BETCH ;3
#109 Feb 17 2013 at 3:04 PM Rating: Excellent
Keeper of the Shroud
*****
12,913 posts
Zelduh wrote:
PC isn't a gaming system, and FFXI is a PS2 game, therefore it will always be optimized for PS2


There is nothing that I can say to this. He's won the argument by going so far off the deep end that no one is willing to follow.
#110 Feb 17 2013 at 5:00 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
***
1,678 posts
I like how the new gaming systems that are coming out next year aren't as good as my one year old laptop. I can't wait to see what hardware manufacturers come up with when the new systems do get released. It's going to be a slaughter.
____________________________
Dooom wrote:
BG elitists <3 haste.

Allatards/uber casuals hate elitists.

Allatards/uber casuals hate haste, as valuing it would acknowledge that elitists are right


kerberoz wrote:
People don't hate emo kids because they're "misunderstood." People hate emo kids because they're useless.


Realix wrote:
PUP is an average to above average DD... when not in a zerg situation... or on particularly hard targets... and when properly configured... on windsday... with a RDM...
#111 Feb 17 2013 at 5:13 PM Rating: Excellent
Sage
****
5,684 posts
The advantage of the console is not its power, but being a cheap, simple platform that is more or less plug-n-play.

Also, the success of the Wii and slow start of the PS3 may have played a part in newer consoles being tuned down.
____________________________
Signature starts here.
#112 Feb 17 2013 at 5:42 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
43 posts
Zelduh wrote:
PC isn't a gaming system, and FFXI is a PS2 game, therefore it will always be optimized for PS2


Wait, wait, wait, so you're saying FFXI is OPTIMIZED for the system that lags, freezes and looks like ass? Even SE doesn't believe this, or they'd never made HQ fonts for HQ machines (PC and XBOX, not PS2), or expanded graphics options for PC without giving the same options to PS2.

And PC has been a gaming platform since forever. WTF are you smoking? This statement is actually mind boggling. Do tell how you come to that conclusion beyond simply trolling? Or do you mean YOUR PC is not capable of gaming, just like you are incapable of rational thinking?

You wanna say you like lag and 8-bit graphics. Fine. You can like whatever you want. You preferring something doesn't make it better. Better is pretty objective in this case.

So, have you ever actually been wrong in your life? I'm curious.
#113 Feb 17 2013 at 10:09 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
Avatar
***
1,201 posts
Zandter wrote:
So, have you ever actually been wrong in your life? I'm curious.


Pretty much everytime opens his mouth or puts fingers to the keystrokes at this rate.
#114 Feb 17 2013 at 10:38 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
43 posts
Viertel wrote:
Zandter wrote:
So, have you ever actually been wrong in your life? I'm curious.


Pretty much everytime opens his mouth or puts fingers to the keystrokes at this rate.


I'm actually curious how deep the delusion goes.
#115 Feb 18 2013 at 1:50 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
***
1,678 posts
xypin wrote:
The advantage of the console is not its power, but being a cheap, simple platform that is more or less plug-n-play.
Also, the success of the Wii and slow start of the PS3 may have played a part in newer consoles being tuned down.


I thought the advantage of the consoles was sweet, sweet Mario and Zel... er, exclusive content.
____________________________
Dooom wrote:
BG elitists <3 haste.

Allatards/uber casuals hate elitists.

Allatards/uber casuals hate haste, as valuing it would acknowledge that elitists are right


kerberoz wrote:
People don't hate emo kids because they're "misunderstood." People hate emo kids because they're useless.


Realix wrote:
PUP is an average to above average DD... when not in a zerg situation... or on particularly hard targets... and when properly configured... on windsday... with a RDM...
#116 Feb 18 2013 at 10:17 AM Rating: Good
*
102 posts
Zelduh wrote:
PC isn't a gaming system, and FFXI is a PS2 game, therefore it will always be optimized for PS2

dude. just let it go. yes at the time ps2 was a good gaming system back in the days. but that was over 10 year or so ago. they dont even sell games for ps2 anymore. you CANT upgrade a ps2 like you can with a pc. them parts in the ps2 is nothing but old school PC parts in it. yes they use PC PARTS to make a ps2. so saying ps2 is way better then a pc is just silly

everything your ps2 can do. a pc can do way better. my ps2 i had die out. the harddrive, the cd drive is done. them HDD for ffxi goes for $40-99 that crazy. do much better buying a cheap $100 pc or lower to play it on.

other words the ps2 days is done. the thing is on life support. your PS2 specs vs PC specs wont go far.
http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/ps22.htm ps2 spec. any pc now n days would blow the hell out of them spec
____________________________
(Main Pup). other Sch etc .main server Bismarck. was on Phoenix for while

www.youtube.com/user/nyheen for puppetmaster NM solo episodes :)
#117 Feb 18 2013 at 2:23 PM Rating: Excellent
Guru
Avatar
**
697 posts
Zelduh wrote:
PC isn't a gaming system


I guess a PC isn't technically a word processor, a spreadsheet, a video editor, or an internet appliance either.
____________________________
Character: Camiie
Elvaan Female
Bastok Rank 10
MNK 99 / BST 99 / SMN 99 / DNC 99 / SAM 99 / WAR 99 / THF 99
#118 Feb 18 2013 at 3:09 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
812 posts
Zelduh: Let it drop. If you check this, you'll find out the PS2 is dying. Seriously. Sony has stopped making PS2s, tho I still <3 it since we got a lot of old games (Heck, once I upgrade my pc I'll be in the market for a Fat Boy one just because it was more backwards compat.)

That's why I think that once they quit making PS2 in japan and the old PS2s in japan wear out, it'll be PC/Xbox only. The JPs will have to switch to Xbox 360 for the next expansion after Seekers if FFXI is compat with it.

tl;dr It's still a good system if you can find used PS2 games that you haven't played that are any good. But there will never be any new games for the system and far as we know, Seekers will NOT be on the PS2 in NA/EU, so better get you a Xbox 360 or a PC.

Edited, Feb 18th 2013 4:09pm by maryadavies
____________________________
Elizara, Mithran WHM of Quetzalcoatl
LS's: SpecialFriends, ShikigamiWeapon, Noble's, WeSayHurray, JingZen, Betrayed (Dynamis and Aby)

Still a MithraPride kitty at heart, tho that shell is gone..Also still CTY at heart forevah!

Midgard: NEVER FORGET.

Alla profile: http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?11530

Thinking about swapping from console to PC? Check here to do it right!
#120 Feb 18 2013 at 4:18 PM Rating: Excellent
Needs More Smut
Avatar
*****
19,476 posts
You don't have to "custom build" a gaming PC. You can buy one off the shelf at Best Buy. (You'll get ripped off, though.)

The reason folks custom build their gaming systems is because it's hella cheaper that way. My base system cost $375 about two years ago, for a standard system kit and a more robust video card. The same thing at Best Buy would have been $800 at the time. (Now it's about $300.)

____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck. Once again a top bard on the server: Dardaubla 90 on 1/6/2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest on Lamia - Member of The Swarm and the League of Extraordinary Crafters
#121 Feb 18 2013 at 5:13 PM Rating: Excellent
Keeper of the Shroud
*****
12,913 posts
I was trying to avoid this, but it needs said. Zelduh, you're a damn moron. You don't know what you're talking about on any subject. Your lack of knowledge could be forgiven if it weren't for the vast amount of information readily available to you online. But you don't want to learn, because you're too scared to have your pathetically and blatently wrong world view challenged. You would disgust me if you weren't so pitiable.
#122 Feb 18 2013 at 5:17 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
***
1,656 posts
I wish complete and utter stupidity was a reason for banning on the forums. It would be nice to be rid of him and kji.
____________________________
See You Space Cowboy
#123 Feb 18 2013 at 6:08 PM Rating: Default
Sage
****
5,684 posts
Zelduh wrote:
FFXI is an old game, they're not going to spend millions of dollars upgrading the graphics to appease the teenybopper players that can't handle the graphics the game was designed with because they're so used to their Call of Duty dribble. If you don't like it, stop playing.
Woah now, I don't think anyone here has been screaming for an update to the FFXIV engine not that I'd be against it.... PS2 limitations cover other problems such as inventory limits and that's why many would want SE to drop PS2 support.

Diamondis wrote:
I wish complete and utter stupidity was a reason for banning on the forums. It would be nice to be rid of him and kji.
No need to be rude, Zelduh is simply stating an opinion.
____________________________
Signature starts here.
#124 Feb 18 2013 at 6:12 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
***
1,656 posts
Really? You honestly think that's just what he's doing?

Edit: I'll expand on this. There's a reason nearly every post of his ever made is sub-defaulted to hell and it's not because he's stating an opinion. It's because he lies to back up his opinions with blatantly fictional reasoning and evidence. He's a troll, or worse, he's a troll that doesn't even know he's a troll. An uber-troll, if you will. His views are of no worth so long as he refuses to back them up with evidence or admit he's incorrect about something. At this moment in time, to me, he's a sub-default human being. Hey, don't shoot me! Just stating my opinion.

Edited, Feb 18th 2013 7:16pm by Diamondis
____________________________
See You Space Cowboy
#125 Feb 18 2013 at 6:21 PM Rating: Default
Sage
****
5,684 posts
Fine, he's trolling- whatever you want to call it.

What I see is him doing is creating an active thread on an almost otherwise slow forum.
What I don't see him doing is calling us idiots, morons, or saying we don't belong here.
____________________________
Signature starts here.
#126 Feb 18 2013 at 6:33 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
***
1,656 posts
You're almost right... he is calling people idiots and morons, he's just not doing it directly. Direct or not, he's being just as insulting as I am. Yeah, he's created an active thread, but if you haven't noticed this is a thread full of people calling him a moron. You criticise me for being mean, but you're OK with a thread like this? A little hypocritical.
____________________________
See You Space Cowboy
#127 Feb 18 2013 at 6:50 PM Rating: Default
Sage
****
5,684 posts
Diamondis wrote:
You're almost right... he is calling people idiots and morons, he's just not doing it directly.
I'm sorry, my reading comprehension is a little low, you'll need to point this out for me.


EDIT: Added full quote. Point still stands.

Edited, Feb 18th 2013 8:49pm by xypin
____________________________
Signature starts here.
#128 Feb 18 2013 at 7:02 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
***
1,656 posts
Yeah, you cut off the rest of my sentence there. It's not reading comprehension that's your issue; it's reading between the lines.
____________________________
See You Space Cowboy
#129 Feb 18 2013 at 7:07 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
**
297 posts
Quote:
Direct or not, he's being just as insulting as I am.


Direct quotes, or are you as full of it as he is.
#130 Feb 18 2013 at 7:23 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,656 posts
Ok, I'll quote something I see as indirectly insulting.

Zelduh wrote:
Exactly, so you don't know how much the PC version sucks compared to the PS2 version, because all you ever play on is your precious PC :P


I see the mere phrasing of this insulting. It's clearly sarcastic, and I see it as him saying to whoever he was referring that they are blindly loyal to something and unable to comprehend anything better than it despite the facts which, ironically, is exactly what he's doing, and I believe was also the point of the post to which his response was referencing.

Like I said, indirect, but to me equally real and just as insulting. If I was a real wuss I could hide behind the 'this is my opinion' card and shield myself from basically any response you have to this, but I'm not going to, and I welcome your opinions on if you think this is a veiled insult or not.
____________________________
See You Space Cowboy
#131 Feb 18 2013 at 7:29 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,678 posts
Quote:
if you go out and buy a normal PC, it will barely play anything, until you spend thousands of dollars custom-building a "gaming PC


No, if you go out and buy a normal PC it will cost you thousands of dollars and barely play anything, because the places that sell electronics sell cheap sh*t for much more than it's worth. People like you are the reason big box stores can sell mid-tier Samsung and Sony for the same price of buying their top models online. People like you are the reason Bose and Dre and Beats are 90% of the headphone market, while gaming headsets are another 5%.

If I wanted to go out and buy a gaming PC for somebody who didn't want to spend a lot of money I could find something better than what the next gen of consoles is going to be for under $800. That's not going to have a huge system overhead, you can plug any controller you want into it, play it on your TV, whatever. Custom built? By me? Maybe $500, and it would be tuned, ready to go.

So what's the real difference between people like you (the vast majority) and people like me (small minority)? Some of us take offense to being treated like idiots when all it takes on our part is a little bit of time and an even smaller amount of research. You seem to revel in your own stupidity.
____________________________
Dooom wrote:
BG elitists <3 haste.

Allatards/uber casuals hate elitists.

Allatards/uber casuals hate haste, as valuing it would acknowledge that elitists are right


kerberoz wrote:
People don't hate emo kids because they're "misunderstood." People hate emo kids because they're useless.


Realix wrote:
PUP is an average to above average DD... when not in a zerg situation... or on particularly hard targets... and when properly configured... on windsday... with a RDM...
#132 Feb 18 2013 at 7:33 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
**
297 posts
You responded to the challenge instead of to a challenge. So don't see any kind of
Quote:
veiled insult or not.


I can see how that quote could come off as sarcastic. Being text though its anyone's call, and the :P at the end of it tends to be a light hearted notation. He is right that if you only have exposure to one thing you really don't know. No, I do not agree that the graphics and what a pc can handle is inferior to a ps2. 9 years ago I prefered the ps2 because I had that sh*tty of a pc.

Personally don't see it as an indirect insult on his end. Reading it already heatted about his personal claims though I get what you meant.
#133 Feb 18 2013 at 7:45 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,656 posts
He is correct in a very minor way that, in theory, if you have experience in one thing and one thing only then you are unlikely to know any better about anything else. However, I disagree that this is true when comparing PS2 to PC in regards to FFXI. You do not necessarily need to own the PS2 version of FFXI to know that it's going to be inferior nowadays. I never owned the PS2 version yet I know of the problems it has face/does face atm. I know what it can do, graphically and otherwise, and any mediocre PC can outperform it. Also, he made his comment based on the assumption that the poster had never played the PS2 version... which was promptly corrected.

Raelix wrote:
Even if trolling, your stupid assumption betrays you. I had the PS2 version when it came out for my brother to play with me. It was garbage.


I, personally, can see no other way of reading that sentence as an insult based off of faulty assumptions (as well as being slightly defensive).

Edit: I rated you up because you didn't sound like an ass =P

Edited, Feb 18th 2013 8:46pm by Diamondis
____________________________
See You Space Cowboy
#134 Feb 18 2013 at 8:03 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
297 posts
I agree, any pc now whether for gaming or not can run the game nicely. I play on a sh*tty 5 year old laptop. It does what I want and need so not looking to upgrade now. His assumption made the proverbial ass out of him. While I have some dislike for what Raelix, not much as he is knowledgeable player, post what you quoted him saying I found no fault with. He did respond with "your stupid assumption" but it was directed at the assumption not Zelduh.

Like Xyplin said, directly insulting him as you originally did was rude. Disagree or even hate it all you want just try to stay civil about it man.
#135 Feb 18 2013 at 8:28 PM Rating: Decent
*
102 posts
saying you like ps2 ver.. sure np that your opinion but when you start saying ps2 is way better then pc ffxi that a flat out lie. soon or later ps2 life was going to die anyways. at this point the dude is just trolling you all. he knows that ps2 cant keep up with a pc now. this is going to turn into the Boomerang vs bow. the dude was trolling the hell out them guys. this is no different

if you like your ps2 so much then fine. is it better then pc? no. is they dropping support? yes, it slowly happening. and stop crying about not having seeker pack for it while the pc/xbox got it.

also if you like gaming systems so much then buy a freaking xbox360
____________________________
(Main Pup). other Sch etc .main server Bismarck. was on Phoenix for while

www.youtube.com/user/nyheen for puppetmaster NM solo episodes :)
#136 Feb 18 2013 at 8:42 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,656 posts
I didn't mean Raelix was being insulting. I was still talking about Zelduh, and the final sentence was in reference to Zelduh's comment, not Raelix's.

I consider my insults to be valid and as civil as insults can be. I could've called him many, many worse things than stupid, after all... but I didn't. I called him stupid and I stand by that, and I will until he at least accepts that there's at least chance he may be incorrect. My insults are at least supported by this entire thread full of evidence against all his claims, and yet he soldiers on instead of holding his hands up or just stopping. If I'd called him a ****sucker I would've considered it rude and unfair since I have no evidence that he sucks ****.

This is a pointless avenue to go down, though, as we see differently on what constitutes as acceptable insults. Probably best to just stop here and agree that we have different opinions. See, I can do that with this topic because there's no way to quantify what we're discussing... unlike Zelduh's futile argument.

Edit: Though I will end my part in saying that, although I have no problem with xypin, I do still find it hypocritical that (s)he's OK with an entire thread devoted to calling this guy wrong, stupid, retarded, etc. just because it brings life to a slow forum, yet my post somehow crossed a boundary.

Edited, Feb 18th 2013 9:49pm by Diamondis
____________________________
See You Space Cowboy
#137 Feb 18 2013 at 10:49 PM Rating: Excellent
Needs More Smut
Avatar
*****
19,476 posts
Accurate descriptions are more fun than insults.

People like Zelduh are the sorts who keep people like me gainfully employed in tech support.

Edited, Feb 18th 2013 11:49pm by catwho
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck. Once again a top bard on the server: Dardaubla 90 on 1/6/2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest on Lamia - Member of The Swarm and the League of Extraordinary Crafters
#139 Feb 19 2013 at 7:50 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
Avatar
****
6,222 posts
When this many people step in to call you a @#%^ing idiot for something you said, you might wanna reconsider your position and attitude.

But since this happens once every few months, I don't expect that to happen.
____________________________
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Airships on fire off the shoulder of Bahamut. I watched Scapula Beams glitter in the dark near the Three Mage Gate...

Nilatai wrote:
Vlorsutes wrote:
There's always...not trolling him?

You're new here, aren't you?
#140 Feb 19 2013 at 9:25 AM Rating: Excellent
******
41,238 posts
Is this the thread that's been over for two pages but everyone is trying to get the last word in mindlessly?
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#141 Feb 19 2013 at 12:11 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
966 posts
Zelduh is simply trolling, same way he is on the PUP forums.

Do not feed the troll.
____________________________
Verdha Tashon on Lamia
Just another miqo'te WHM into Leather and Fish
#142 Feb 19 2013 at 1:55 PM Rating: Excellent
Guru
Avatar
**
697 posts
Awww come on! How can you say no to this face!?

http://i413.photobucket.com/albums/pp214/KeiFreeman/FFXI/troll.jpg

Edited, Feb 19th 2013 2:56pm by Camiie
____________________________
Character: Camiie
Elvaan Female
Bastok Rank 10
MNK 99 / BST 99 / SMN 99 / DNC 99 / SAM 99 / WAR 99 / THF 99
#143 Feb 19 2013 at 6:52 PM Rating: Excellent
Since this has derailed by such a staggering degree, I'm locking this.
____________________________
Lady Jinte wrote:

Vlorsutes' Negotiation Skill rises 0.2 points
Vlorsutes' Observant Parent Skill rises 0.3 points
Vlorsutes' Argument Diffusing Skill rises 0.1 points


My thoughts and reviews on all sorts of sci-fi stuff...and things.
#144 Feb 19 2013 at 6:53 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
****
6,222 posts
PC is not a gaming platform!
____________________________
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Airships on fire off the shoulder of Bahamut. I watched Scapula Beams glitter in the dark near the Three Mage Gate...

Nilatai wrote:
Vlorsutes wrote:
There's always...not trolling him?

You're new here, aren't you?
1 2 3 Next »
This thread is locked
You cannot post in a locked topic!
Recent Visitors: 76 All times are in CDT
Prim, Anonymous Guests (75)