Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6
This thread is locked

So, PS2 is no longer supported?Follow

#1 Feb 07 2013 at 4:37 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
***
1,163 posts
If you use the PS2 still, for some crazy reason, you will be unable to make it into the new expansion? Or can you, via DL?

I just want to know if my HDD has become and official paper weight or not. I have not played FFXI in a year but wanted to know... as I am curious about the new expansion. Thanks.

Edited, Feb 19th 2013 10:18pm by Vlorsutes Lock Thread: Derailed
#2 Feb 07 2013 at 4:43 PM Rating: Excellent
Jack of All Trades
******
29,628 posts
So far we are under the belief that unless you're in Japan or otherwise can obtain the Japanese hardware, PS2 players are gonna be left out in the cold for Adoulin.
#3 Feb 07 2013 at 7:34 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
Avatar
****
6,260 posts
It's a distribution thing more than a localization thing. I bet they have hard numbers like only maybe 300-500 NA players still being on PS2, but ten times that in Japan. Putting together PS2 pressing and casing for five hundred people, tops, even if they shipped it directly to them from a web store, is more likely under any manufacturing minimum. You don't plunk down to make no less than five thousand of something for five hundred people.

Plus, nobody in North America or Europe is likely to start on PS2. Japan might still be a little crazy about PS2 availability (the network adapter and hard-drive are still available, I think third-party though), but the demand will just never reach the minimum production over here.
____________________________
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Airships on fire off the shoulder of Bahamut. I watched Scapula Beams glitter in the dark near the Three Mage Gate...

Nilatai wrote:
Vlorsutes wrote:
There's always...not trolling him?

You're new here, aren't you?
#5 Feb 07 2013 at 9:22 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
Avatar
****
6,260 posts
Exclusively? Not just using it for dualbox or mules or overnight bazaaring? Like PS2 is their only option and they wont get the expansion on another system to play it?

Five hundred is a stretch.

Start asking around. I can think of one person on my server that is exclusively on PS2 and this affects him. I'm about to start a fund to buy him a ******* laptop so he'll shut up about it.
____________________________
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Airships on fire off the shoulder of Bahamut. I watched Scapula Beams glitter in the dark near the Three Mage Gate...

Nilatai wrote:
Vlorsutes wrote:
There's always...not trolling him?

You're new here, aren't you?
#7 Feb 08 2013 at 8:23 AM Rating: Excellent
Drunken English Bastard
*****
15,268 posts
Finally.
____________________________
My Movember page
Solrain wrote:
WARs can use semi-colons however we want. I once killed a guy with a semi-colon.

LordFaramir wrote:
ODESNT MATTER CAUSE I HAVE ALCHOLOL IN MY VEINGS BETCH ;3
#8 Feb 08 2013 at 8:56 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
***
1,163 posts
I like/ed playing on my PS2, however, the lag, even with filters on, in some areas and in some fights is horrible. Although, maybe I didn't have enough filters on? Anyway, I don't think I will be using it anymore anyway, but I have a special connection to that PS2, so I can't say never.

Thanks for the info, everyone.
#9 Feb 08 2013 at 9:32 AM Rating: Excellent
***
2,010 posts
It's strange that they wouldn't do a digital distribution for it. Other content has been delivered that way.
#11 Feb 08 2013 at 10:40 AM Rating: Excellent
Guru
Avatar
**
701 posts
Nilatai wrote:
Finally.


They're not actually dropping PS2 support, so it's not like anything is really going to change. PS2 limitations are as alive and well as ever for the foreseeable future. Don't get me wrong. I wish as much as anyone that we could get the full, modern PC MMO experience, but it ain't gonna happen with XI.

Edited, Feb 8th 2013 11:42am by Camiie
____________________________
Character: Camiie
Elvaan Female
Bastok Rank 10
MNK 99 / BST 99 / SMN 99 / DNC 99 / SAM 99 / WAR 99 / THF 99
#12 Feb 08 2013 at 12:27 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
***
1,135 posts
I still play on PS2, but probably gonna have to buy the ultimate PC version.... Raelix, fund my new CPU! i'll transfer to you guys :P
____________________________
Drk, Pup, Bst, Nin, War, Drg, Sam, Mnk, Dnc, Smn, Rng, Thf, Blu, Cor, Run 99

Annihilator 119! 1st April 2015

Tizona(Blue Mage Mythic) 40/50 Assaults re-clear! And 28k alex to go! Started 24th 2014

Chant du Cygne,Victory Smite,Tachi: Fudo, Blade: Hi, Rudra's Storm, Jishnu's Radiance, Wildfire, Ukko's Fury, Torcleaver
#13 Feb 08 2013 at 1:06 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
842 posts
I might add, I had about 2-3 friends who played on ps2. One vanished into thin air; the other two are swapping to the Xbox and the PC, tho one is planning on using PS2 when he doesn't have to do Seekers stuff. Me, since I swapped a while ago, PS2 is only for my last ditch macro backup...

So yeah. It's proly more common than you think. I only knew about the guy who is now swapping to PC b/c I had to unstick him about 5-20 times for CS's in Wings of the Goddess.(Square has really dropped the ball with PS2 lately; freezing all over. I had to log in for him a lot and tell him to watch that CS on Youtube.) I'm guessing a combo of not that many play on PS2 anymore + Sony ending support for the PS2 is the reason they won't release it here.

Edited, Feb 8th 2013 2:09pm by maryadavies
____________________________
Elizara, Mithran WHM of Quetzalcoatl
LS's: SpecialFriends, ShikigamiWeapon, Noble's, WeSayHurray, JingZen, Betrayed (Dynamis and Aby)

Still a MithraPride kitty at heart, tho that shell is gone..Also still CTY at heart forevah!

Midgard: NEVER FORGET.

Alla profile: http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?11530

Thinking about swapping from console to PC? Check here to do it right!
#14 Feb 08 2013 at 2:59 PM Rating: Excellent
***
2,010 posts
Zelduh wrote:
WFOAssassin wrote:
I like/ed playing on my PS2, however, the lag, even with filters on, in some areas and in some fights is horrible. Although, maybe I didn't have enough filters on? Anyway, I don't think I will be using it anymore anyway, but I have a special connection to that PS2, so I can't say never.

Thanks for the info, everyone.


PS2 never lagged for me, yet no matter how good of a PC I use nor what settings I use, it always lags. The game is designed for PS2, it will always run best on PS2


Are you just trolling? PC is superior in every single way - graphically, performance-wise, customization (window size and such). I have the ps2 version as a backup as well and the last time I loaded it up just to pull down updates, I thought my eyes were going to literally start bleeding. I couldn't imagine going back to such slow performance and terrible graphics after seeing the beauty the PC version of this game unlocks. I hopped on the airship the other day and could see the holla crag in the distance, crystal clear. Magnificent. On the ps2 all of that was just a blur of what looked like some water and land masses.

It's actually pretty **** impressive for a game developed a decade ago.

#15 Feb 08 2013 at 3:01 PM Rating: Excellent
Sage
****
5,684 posts
I can't comment on PS2, but for PC, I believe some graphic cards have issues with the "glow" effect from avatars, confluxes, warp points, etc. hence lag.
____________________________
Signature starts here.
#16Zymunn, Posted: Feb 08 2013 at 3:20 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) I never noticed such a huge difference between pc and ps2 graphics. Haven't played the game in 5 yrs, started again in October, and played both before that. If you use draw distance then your point is invalid because you altered game.
#17 Feb 08 2013 at 4:34 PM Rating: Excellent
**
589 posts
With out draw distance and on my crappy vista laptop it run and looks better then the ps2 by a long shot. All I can say is get a better graphics card or find the right drivers.
____________________________
.
#18 Feb 08 2013 at 5:25 PM Rating: Excellent
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
You don't even need draw distance or registry changes any more. SE altered the FFXI config to permit up to standard 1080p for PCs outputting to HDTVs.

So nope, no game alterations.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#20 Feb 08 2013 at 7:15 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
Avatar
****
6,260 posts
A man who goes around with his ********* on fire all the time isn't necessarily one to know best about whether or not his ********* should be on fire.
____________________________
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Airships on fire off the shoulder of Bahamut. I watched Scapula Beams glitter in the dark near the Three Mage Gate...

Nilatai wrote:
Vlorsutes wrote:
There's always...not trolling him?

You're new here, aren't you?
#22 Feb 09 2013 at 6:17 AM Rating: Excellent
Sage
****
4,281 posts
Until I played on PC I thought that my Elvaan had Gambit eyes.
____________________________
Philemon on Valefor
Gjallarhorn 4/17/08
Daurdabla 5/9/11
Carnwenhan 5/4/12
Ryunohige 10/29/12
#23 Feb 09 2013 at 6:34 AM Rating: Excellent
Sage
Avatar
**
777 posts
I played on PS2 for several years before buying a PC. I must've had a bad PS2 compared with whatever you were seeing...
#24 Feb 09 2013 at 11:51 AM Rating: Excellent
**
589 posts
Zelduh wrote:
Exactly, so you don't know how much the PC version sucks compared to the PS2 version, because all you ever play on is your precious PC :P



I played on my friends PS2 he uses for duel boxing the other day, it was hair pulling bad trying to get though port and game play in a VW party was laughable at best.
____________________________
.
#25 Feb 09 2013 at 5:43 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
****
6,260 posts
Zelduh wrote:
Exactly, so you don't know how much the PC version sucks compared to the PS2 version, because all you ever play on is your precious PC :P

Even if trolling, your stupid assumption betrays you. I had the PS2 version when it came out for my brother to play with me. It was garbage.
____________________________
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Airships on fire off the shoulder of Bahamut. I watched Scapula Beams glitter in the dark near the Three Mage Gate...

Nilatai wrote:
Vlorsutes wrote:
There's always...not trolling him?

You're new here, aren't you?
#26 Feb 09 2013 at 5:49 PM Rating: Excellent
Zelduh wrote:
Exactly, so you don't know how much the PC version sucks compared to the PS2 version, because all you ever play on is your precious PC :P


The PS2 version may run a bit more smoothly in high lag situations, but everything I've seen and heard from people who have played on both is that the PS2 version looks so atrocious that they'd be more than willing to take the minimal hit on how the game runs so that it doesn't look so terrible.

Edited, Feb 9th 2013 6:50pm by Vlorsutes
____________________________
Lady Jinte wrote:

Vlorsutes' Negotiation Skill rises 0.2 points
Vlorsutes' Observant Parent Skill rises 0.3 points
Vlorsutes' Argument Diffusing Skill rises 0.1 points

« Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6
This thread is locked
You cannot post in a locked topic!
Recent Visitors: 106 All times are in CDT
Anonymous Guests (106)