Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

A New Player!Follow

#1 Oct 31 2012 at 7:06 PM Rating: Decent
4 posts
Hello everyone, I'm here to ask about servers as well as general advice.

For the past few days, I've been playing the 14 day free trial that SE has out, and I've really been enjoying the game. I've ordered the Vana'diel 2008 collection since I was able to get it for about $8, and it'll probably be here by tomorrow.

I have a character on Odin that's level 18, but I've been reading up on servers and what-not and I'm unsure about whether I should make a new character on a different server, or just stay on Odin. I've noticed that there isn't much interaction, I started in Bastok and I've wandered around all the way until Selbina, but I've never seen the chat used once which is somewhat discouraging.

Are all of the servers this dead, or do I just need to get into a party to see any kind of interaction?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'll be playing this game for a while regardless. It seems pretty easy to solo, so I can probably get by until the later levels, but I'd really appreciate any advice.
#2 Oct 31 2012 at 8:14 PM Rating: Good
Needs More Smut
Avatar
******
20,309 posts
You need to head to Jeuno, specifically Port Jeuno, to see the character chat channel lit up and alive. Oh, the arguments in PJ can last for days sometimes...

What you also need is a linkshell. If someone on Odin sees this, they may invite you, or you can post in the Odin forums here on ZAM and perhaps get an invitation that way. Or, you can reroll on whatever server someone invites you to join. You can also have multiple characters on different servers on the same account, so you can keep your Odin character and try out another server at the same time for a dollar more a month, then decide later on where you want to stay.

____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck. Once again a top bard on the server: Dardaubla 90 on 1/6/2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest on Lamia - Member of The Swarm and leader of Grammarian Tea House chat LS
#3 Oct 31 2012 at 8:36 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
821 posts
2008 collection? Shoulda went with the $20 ultimate collection abyssea edition and gotten all the expansions and add-ons.
____________________________
VIVE LA RÉVOLUTION PONEY!
デーブは、ここではありません。
Urthdigger wrote:
First person view {You can have this.} I'm a galka and wore a subligar all the way to 50. You either learn to deal with it, or learn to enjoy the other party member's screams of agony.

Likibiki wrote:
I wish I could get parties of that standard. Sadly I seem to end up playing with myself all the time.

Signature Image
#4 Nov 01 2012 at 4:33 AM Rating: Good
4 posts
catwho wrote:
You need to head to Jeuno, specifically Port Jeuno, to see the character chat channel lit up and alive. Oh, the arguments in PJ can last for days sometimes...

What you also need is a linkshell. If someone on Odin sees this, they may invite you, or you can post in the Odin forums here on ZAM and perhaps get an invitation that way. Or, you can reroll on whatever server someone invites you to join. You can also have multiple characters on different servers on the same account, so you can keep your Odin character and try out another server at the same time for a dollar more a month, then decide later on where you want to stay.


Ah, okay, thanks for the advice!

Admiral Niknar wrote:
2008 collection? Shoulda went with the $20 ultimate collection abyssea edition and gotten all the expansions and add-ons.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing, but I'll probably just buy that sometime later to get the add-ons. I'm somewhat of a collector of Final Fantasy stuff, so I prefer hard-copies of the games.

Also, where do most people go to start partying up? I've been listening to a lot of limit break radio, and back then it was the Dunes I hear, but I've seen somewhere that a good place to go now is the Gusgen Mines, any advice?

Edited, Nov 1st 2012 7:20am by KyonkoAJ

Edited, Nov 1st 2012 7:22am by KyonkoAJ
#5 Nov 01 2012 at 12:03 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
821 posts
Depending on the job you chose to start out as you should head to gusgen mines at about level 16 or so. Should be able to solo xp up until then pretty easily. The start zones can easily take you up to level 12 I believe.
____________________________
VIVE LA RÉVOLUTION PONEY!
デーブは、ここではありません。
Urthdigger wrote:
First person view {You can have this.} I'm a galka and wore a subligar all the way to 50. You either learn to deal with it, or learn to enjoy the other party member's screams of agony.

Likibiki wrote:
I wish I could get parties of that standard. Sadly I seem to end up playing with myself all the time.

Signature Image
#6 Nov 01 2012 at 2:28 PM Rating: Decent
4 posts
Admiral Niknar wrote:
Depending on the job you chose to start out as you should head to gusgen mines at about level 16 or so. Should be able to solo xp up until then pretty easily. The start zones can easily take you up to level 12 I believe.

Ah, okay, I've taken my warrior up to level 18 by hanging out around Konschtat Highlands, and I just barely made it into Selbina from the dunes while having a bunch of goblins chasing me.

But I must say, I do really enjoy playing the game, as well as reading about it and learning things. I think that I'll stick around for quite a while, having a really great time.

Edited, Nov 1st 2012 6:43pm by KyonkoAJ
#7 Nov 02 2012 at 12:42 AM Rating: Decent
15 posts
Im assembling a small group of newer players on Shiva right now if you wanted to join. Just random new players looking to play together. We are currently in the 10-20s range and if I can get enough people I might start a link shell for us to adventure together.

Let me know if that interests you so you can join us!
#8 Nov 02 2012 at 11:21 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
9,260 posts
yeah, might be worth heading to gusgen mines and joining anyone who is partying down there. If only to meet people. Might find some folks with an LS willing to take on a new recruit.
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.

clicky
#9 Nov 02 2012 at 11:35 AM Rating: Decent
4 posts
kenzo44 wrote:
Im assembling a small group of newer players on Shiva right now if you wanted to join. Just random new players looking to play together. We are currently in the 10-20s range and if I can get enough people I might start a link shell for us to adventure together.

Let me know if that interests you so you can join us!

Thanks for the offer! But I think I'll stay on Odin, someone already contacted me from Odin and it'd be easier for me to just stay there. Best of luck finding more members though!
Olorinus wrote:
yeah, might be worth heading to gusgen mines and joining anyone who is partying down there. If only to meet people. Might find some folks with an LS willing to take on a new recruit.

Alright, thanks for the advice!
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 53 All times are in CDT
Eeri, UNCTGTG, Anonymous Guests (51)