Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2
Reply To Thread

What has happened to this game?Follow

#1 Oct 20 2012 at 2:40 PM Rating: Good
8 posts
So,

Last night, I was in Valkrum Dunes, just kinda chillin out and setting macros, killing random mobs because they looked at me funny and just being random. I see a group of adventurers killing an NM, and it sparked my immediate interest. Let me go ahead and put a little note in here. I have done zero VW, and don't know or understand the premise behind it, but as with anything else I have not done, I am interested, and when I see a group of people fighting an NM that is basically kicking thier asses, I am always more than willing to help. So, I offer the services of my 99BLM.

I switch jobs, join the party, and wait while they re-group, as they lost some people. This will come up shortly, as to how and why they lost warm bodies that were either interested as I was, or needed the fight for whatever reason, and were unable to satisfy either.

As I am sitting there, I notice the planar rift (I believe it is called) and everyone standing around it, so, again, out of curiousity, I decide to click it. Well, that's when it clicked: I may be of no use as I may not be able to fight this NM. I ask the alliance leader, who then proceeds to act like a total **** and tells my party leader to kick me from the party. I go ahead, instead, and remove myself, and then ask the guy why he had to act as he did, and he justified it by saying "I can act how I want when someone like you has no ******* clue". Apparently, you need stones for this, though, I still (until later today) have no clue what a Void Watch is. Apparently though, I was not the only person that ****** this guy off, nor was pretty much offended at his attitude, because as soon as I joined in, the conversation was already about someone being an ***, a ****, rude, and a few other things that I cannot remember, but long short, this guy is a world class douche bag. (Twistedsoul, I believe was his name). I will call him out in public, because I believe he is knowledgable, and has been playing for a while, and may even be from around the same time I joined (about 6 years ago). I hope someday to do a mission or two with him, assuming he is not a total *** and is all about being "In charge".

What has this done? It has, in fact, made me more curious, as to what this Void Watch exactly is, and where do I start and how do I do it effectively.

It has also raised other curious points. For example, why do parties not talk anymore? Why are Linkshells silent, even if the list has a dozen or more people? Why do people charge 10k for a teleport now? Why is it when I ask if someone needs help, whether it be pointedly toward one or a group, or a linkshell, or a friend, help is declined, and nobody else offers? Why is my 33 MNK only a 33 MNK because I have more or less solo levelled from level 1? What happened to EXP parties that don't involve me going to Abyssea or a cave where it is utter chaos and disorginization?

These are just a few things I have started to wonder. Then I started to really think about it. This game is not what it used to be. Where LS leaders held the members accountable for progression. Where if you asked for help, it was cool, and there was always someone to help. If you asked for help every night, but never offered help, you still got help, but you were made to feel like a ******** for never offering, and eventually removed from your LS because you were a sponge, and good for little else.

I remember a month or so ago, on one of the few nights I was able to dedicate my time to do something FUN for the game, I organized a level 1 race, from Jueno to Sandy. I ended up in an argument (one sided mostly) with another person who accused me of running a scam. Another person told me 100k and he would join. Another person actualy reported me to a GM. That was fun.

So my only question is this... What has happened to this game? Have people become so cynical and metnally burned from all the people that are in this game for monetary gain that they can no longer enjoy themselves? Have we really let it get this far, while doing nothing about RMT, sponges, leeches and the likes?

I am not really looking for answers. I am here to tell you that if you are on the Asura server, please, feel free to look up Bhambie or Menecius, and let's have some fun. Let's do things that make this game fun. Let's exp, NM hunt, quest, do missions and for ***** sake, let's talk while we are doing it! Make fun of eachother, make fun of others, tell us about your laste encounter with a member of the opposite (or same) ***, ask for advice, pour your heart out. The way I look at it, it's like a bar. And everyone is a bartender, as well as a patron. We are here to talk, engage, listen and combat enemies, LET"S ACT LIKE WE USED TO!

As this is my first post, I hope this did not come off as too whiney, but I don't really concern myself with what people think of me, I just want to see if I am the only person that feels this way.

Anyways,

Happy Adventuring!
KSweet
#2 Oct 20 2012 at 3:22 PM Rating: Good
*
131 posts
That sounds really awful :(. Sorry you have experienced this. Yeah in GoV parties... there can be soo many people but none talk. So I initiate conversation lol. I make the others talk. And luckily my LS is usually pretty chatty and pretty silly (not just game stuff). I am on Bahemut server though.
#3 Oct 20 2012 at 3:33 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
257 posts
Virtually no one in a pickup group cares about anything anymore except making sure that their wants are being satisfied as efficiently as possible. To some that means joining and whining about the speed or strategy and then leaving if they don't get their way, or some will even join and go afk to leech.

I know where you're coming from as I too noticed the same thing last year when I decided to return to the game. Whether it's because the server population is lower than it was years ago and it becomes more noticeable I don't know. There have always been douches on the game, but I have to assume that with the release of abyssea and the changes that brought with it to the speed of the game (exp and loot farming), people have just become more impatient.

As for your LS being silent, I'm not sure what to say about that unless everyone is just afk all the time. Most of the time in mine when people are on there is conversation going so I guess you might consider looking for a more active one?
____________________________

#4 Oct 20 2012 at 4:42 PM Rating: Excellent
**
586 posts
All this happen long before abyssea. People didn't talk in merit parities and doing so to much would lead right you you being rep with out notice. Killing the same HNM for the 100th time really didn't merit going over the strat for a 100th time. I would say it was worse in the good old days since leveling and meriting was the biggest chore in the game you just couldn't op-out of. If you waited around for 2 to 3 hours plus for a party you wanted to get the most out of that as you could.
____________________________
.
#5 Oct 20 2012 at 4:47 PM Rating: Excellent
Needs More Smut
Avatar
******
20,541 posts
Huh, I'm a veritable chatterbox in any given situation. Then again, even if I don't know anyone very well, I'll usually get at least one "I see you post on ZAM a lot" and the conversation can just take off from there.

Mostly those sorts of situations just need an ice breaker. A good joke, one at your own expense, never hurts.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck. Once again a top bard on the server: Dardaubla 90 on 1/6/2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest on Lamia - Member of The Swarm and leader of Grammarian Tea House chat LS
#6 Oct 20 2012 at 5:13 PM Rating: Good
**
575 posts
Here's what has happened:

The community has become self-centered and profit-driven to the point where the concept of helping with an event out of kindness, for fun, or just to socialized is so utterly foreign that the party leader thought you were an ignorant leech trying to get gear on the backs of people who 'actually know what they're doing'.

In any old MMO, the majority of the population consists of grumpy veterans doing content they've done 1000 times before, and they just want to get it over with as quickly as possible so they can get back to doing other content they've done 1000 times before which they'll want to get done with as quickly as possible. The reason for this is some complex aspect of reward psychology beyond my expertise, but it has to do with the way we repeat a rewarding activity even once it becomes no longer rewarding.

In ye olde days, the game was significantly inferior in terms of gameplay, but the community was fun because we were all figuring it out together and kinda-sorta on the same side, unless you were camping Leaping Lizzy or Fafhogg or something. It's fun to be clueless when everyone around you is clueless. You can all take your pants off and kill the NM without using any weaponskills, because these things increase the droprate, but only if a thief gets the killing blow with sneak attack. (Ideally, from the northwest during a full moon.)

Now that the game is more thoroughly and tediously documented than the Higgs Boson, no one has patience if you have not read the full details of an event and learned the strategies. (Sort of like using an official strategy guide to win, if the people who wrote official strategy guides actually played the game before writing them.) This kills the adventure and discovery, but leads to at least a 73% increase in gear rewards so that you can get invited to bigger events where you cast Sprout Smack and Aero II while an ukon warrior actually kills the mob.

So, basically: You're in an old MMO. Actually going into an event unprepared and learning from your mistakes has been dead since 2005, if not earlier. It's all about fat profits these days.

Maybe if we're lucky, Adoulin will bring back some adventure and/or make us all equally ignorant once again so that we can all return to failing in the general direction of success. Most likely, 95% of it will remain barren while we all farm some NM that drops an 8% haste belt with 2% triple attack, though.

If it's any consolation, the kind of person who gets into a ***** yelling fit over something so minor isn't having a good time with the game, either. Find some people without anger issues to unwind with. A good linkshell is hard to find these days, but not impossible.
#7 Oct 20 2012 at 5:31 PM Rating: Excellent
Sage
***
3,636 posts
Long story short, nothing actually changed. The game is just such that people that don't have to up up with the ******** of endgame linkshells don't have to pretend to care anymore.

And, OP, no offense, but they just got their butts handed to them, and then you show up and you're all "hmm what's voidwatch?" on them. Don't get me wrong; there's never an excuse for rudeness. But you were kind of in the worst possible place at the worst possible time.
____________________________
http://ereblog.livejournal.com/
Erecia and Ereblog are BACK, baby!
#8 Oct 20 2012 at 8:05 PM Rating: Excellent
Guru
Avatar
*****
10,679 posts
Quote:
Maybe if we're lucky, Adoulin will bring back some adventure and/or make us all equally ignorant once again so that we can all return to failing in the general direction of success. Most likely, 95% of it will remain barren while we all farm some NM that drops an 8% haste belt with 2% triple attack, though.


The people being buttheads now are gonna be buttheads after. Funny part is they're usually piggybacking off someone else's efforts when it comes to acquiring knowledge. That on its own isn't a bad thing, but lording it over others is. For all the talk of wikis, forums, or whatever else people "expect" other players to know about within a specific game, the fact is, any game that fails to self-contain any and all pertinent information fails in preparing players for the game itself. What's interesting is, with other MMOs that do point out quest objectives or where to go, it's immediately called hand holding and lazy players being spoon fed. The buttheads will just never be happy.

More specific to FFXI, though, the utter glacial pace new content has been released prior to Abyssea about mid-WotG and after Abyssea has been a serious detriment to player morale. Indeed, running something 100 times does suck. ****, over 10 can be pushing it. It's pretty freakin' obvious SE has been padding the lifespan of events they have released with **** poor drop rates, never mind the fake difficulty of things like Legion and Voidwatch to further keep people away from the drops. Players get mad at SE for this ****, but since they can't do anything about it, the next closest target, other players, get the brunt of their frustrations. PvE settings should never strive to create situations where you get mad at other players, and that's a memo I don't think SE's received.

I'm probably a sour grape at this point, but I do believe if SE actually tried to make FFXI a better game than it is, the community might also be better. I'm still finding the utter lack of further details on Adoulin, months later, disturbing. For the people who haven't abandoned ship for greener pastures already, this is probably make or break. I know I wouldn't mind playing again, but I'd like the game to actually be a game and not a job.
#9 Oct 21 2012 at 7:00 AM Rating: Decent
**
697 posts
Ok,

BLM... did you say BLM?

There is a simple fix I like to use to restore fun to the game in particular when dealing with self centered asshats that like to think that everyone else has a problem.

It can be described by the use of a mathematical formulae:

Asshat /( BLM + Warp II) = Happy Ending

Honestly, people that can't have fun in this game need to go away, find their own fun and stop trying to ruin ours.

Edit: still kant tipe

Edited, Oct 21st 2012 9:01am by RaiseIII
____________________________
Shadechaos of Seraph Bismarck
R.I.P. Cindy 2.26.56 - 4.18.13
~She made a difference~
#10 Oct 21 2012 at 9:13 AM Rating: Good
Sage
****
5,684 posts
RaiseIII wrote:
Honestly, people that can't have fun in this game need to go away, find their own fun and stop trying to ruin ours.
Not everyone finds the same things fun. There's never an excuse for being rude, but there are those that enjoy groups that are successful and professional, meaning casual players who give less than 110% are ruining their fun.
____________________________
Signature starts here.
#11 Oct 21 2012 at 12:50 PM Rating: Excellent
8 posts
I like everyones input, it is making me believe that there are still a large number of players out there that are here to have fun and enjoy the game, not see who can collect the most goodies and currency as possible while acting like a total **** at the same time. Someone mentioned D2 when it comes to people like the above mentioned, but I believe that will just create further friction and give the job a bad name.

Like I stated before, if you are on the Asura server, please do hit me up and say hi, if you still enjoy the game and can have fun with it. And if you know how to chat and have a good time, that is a definate plus.

#12 Oct 21 2012 at 3:59 PM Rating: Good
**
575 posts
Quote:
****, over 10 can be pushing it. It's pretty freakin' obvious SE has been padding the lifespan of events they have released with **** poor drop rates, never mind the fake difficulty of things like Legion and Voidwatch to further keep people away from the drops.


If you ask me, once the point of the game has become 'acquire more gear so that you can use it to acquire more gear', it doesn't matter what they release: Everything will be fluff.

How can we call content fun when we are only suffering through it to get gear?

As an example, when I play Borderlands, I love finding new items. It's great, and it's always exciting to get something new and shiny... but I'm not playing through the game just to find guns and whining the whole way, because the game is fun. If they took away the loot and just gave you preset weapons, it would be less fun, but still a reasonably fun RPG/Shooter.

If you take away the loot in the current stage of FFXI.. what is left? Would anyone even keep playing? Therein lies the problem, and indirectly, the reason greed is the flavor of the month half-decade.
#13 Oct 21 2012 at 4:49 PM Rating: Excellent
Guru
Avatar
*****
10,679 posts
Yeah, I won't argue the content itself needs to be more engaging. SE has a fetish for overpowered individual mobs. I was a sucker for Campaign, and while it had its share of those, it was still a bit random within its usual predictability. The event just fell off due to lacking incentive and heavy-handed nerfs. It was also pretty user friendly, since if you were capable of challenging yourself and tanking a whole wave, you could. Otherwise, you could just stick to one or two mobs if you weren't as uber.

I know I've said it before, but Rift kinda took the Campaign concept and upped it a notch. You could think of rifts as mini-outposts within the zone that spawned mobs, with invasions coming from those that could run toward quest hubs or event objectives if those are going. While losing an event tends to be of little consequence, everyone working together at least leads to some tangible rewards. I just felt Trion needed to broaden that reward pool, and if for anything, treat "rifting" as its own form of endgame like raiding/running dungeons or PvP. Instead, it at best got you raid ready for an excruciatingly large amount of effort.

Right now, SE's stuck in both sidegrade mode and just not offering gear with different looks, but the same stats as others. Or, ****, they could even add the ability for us to reskin our gear so we don't all look the same or like fashion nightmares. There are little creature comfort things that can be done like that, but I also don't think we'll shed the mentality that people want rewarded for their efforts, especially as long as the game is P2P. Anyway, I can't speak for Meeble, but I'd automatically call its biggest fault the access limitation. It's also got its share of bosses, which on its own isn't a bad thing, but if their AI is the usual "just attack the person with the highest hate blindly until everyone is dead" then there hasn't been any progress in making encounters more engaging.
#14 Oct 21 2012 at 7:24 PM Rating: Excellent
Sage
***
3,636 posts
ItsAMyri wrote:
Quote:
****, over 10 can be pushing it. It's pretty freakin' obvious SE has been padding the lifespan of events they have released with **** poor drop rates, never mind the fake difficulty of things like Legion and Voidwatch to further keep people away from the drops.


If you ask me, once the point of the game has become 'acquire more gear so that you can use it to acquire more gear', it doesn't matter what they release: Everything will be fluff.

But... doesn't every one of these types of games eventually devolve into that, once you've leveled up and gotten your accesses and missions and stuff out of the way? 'course, it doesn't help that Leveling and missions are so easy that you could fall down the steps and found that you've gotten 3 levels and a chapter and a half done of CoP, so it does tend to make the rest of the game look a lot less filled.
____________________________
http://ereblog.livejournal.com/
Erecia and Ereblog are BACK, baby!
#15 Oct 21 2012 at 9:53 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
576 posts
Problem is they base the game on if you weren't there during this time you are pretty much screwed, I haven't had any interest in VWNM I read about it and don't feel like putting effort into building a party to tackle a powerful monster, I do wait and see if someone shouts the sandoria and windurst and bastok key items but no one ever shouts which falls in the line of what I just said.

Some people might say ah you're just lazy, maybe so but that's what you get when you played for so long and you bust your **** in this game, its they offer no vacation aka easy stuff to do for those who just joined who missed out on things, I am not saying me but others who joined FFXI or came back.

I am sure this will be sub-defaulted, though its expected when someone ever has a good idea or a good reason why stuff goes down hill they wanna hide it behind a default.

its why this game to me has went to the pits, it still has some fun elements to it, though I am just waiting for the expansion, then all these new things that they added wont even matter anymore.

Due to the fact you won't be able to survive in new expansion unless you are level 99 and by the time all the gimp people reach the new expansion nobody will want to do anything like they always do and people will struggle which falls in line again with what I said before, if you were not there for the boom, you missed it, unless you're lucky.
____________________________

Wife: Akirah
#16 Oct 21 2012 at 11:29 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
****
6,248 posts
Trying to make your point appear more valid by appealing that it's controversial and will be rated down earns you a rate down.
____________________________
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Airships on fire off the shoulder of Bahamut. I watched Scapula Beams glitter in the dark near the Three Mage Gate...

Nilatai wrote:
Vlorsutes wrote:
There's always...not trolling him?

You're new here, aren't you?
#17 Oct 22 2012 at 1:45 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
576 posts
Raelix wrote:
Trying to make your point appear more valid by appealing that it's controversial and will be rated down earns you a rate down.


Don't need to make myself look Valid here, each one of us plays this game, we all have our own opinions about stuff, because you guys rate down, you play god with other peoples opinions.

So usually they are skipped because of people like you, another reason why usually people leave this forums for FFXIAH or BG.

Unlike me I visit once in a great while, I hate the rate down option because people like you don't know what good or bad but just follow what the next guy post about the person.

Do I care what you think about me absolutely not, I play this game to have fun and give my honest opinions about things and what I don't like or what I do like, I wonder who the true trolls are the ones with the power to rate up or down or the ones who give honest opinions.

Edit: Also the rate up and down has bugged me since I signed up here, I have missed so many good comments from people about stuff by others due to the fact it was sub-defaulted and sent to ****, guess I am being one of those guys you hate right? heh

anyways stay classy



Edited, Oct 22nd 2012 3:53am by ZanonX
____________________________

Wife: Akirah
#18 Oct 22 2012 at 2:57 AM Rating: Excellent
Sage
Avatar
**
768 posts
ZanonX wrote:
Due to the fact you won't be able to survive in new expansion unless you are level 99 and by the time all the gimp people reach the new expansion nobody will want to do anything like they always do and people will struggle which falls in line again with what I said before, if you were not there for the boom, you missed it, unless you're lucky.

It sounds like you're discouraged because you can't make progress due to an inactive linkshell. Don't do shout pickup parties and get an active linkshell instead. If your linkshell is dead, find one that isn't. My casual event LS of like 8 active people farmed empyrean weapons, started VW city/zilart/Jeuno clears, did 99 cap fights for people coming back, and just generally had fun. If you're in a linkshell of people who won't help you, or a linkshell of people who aren't on anymore, then it falls on you to find a linkshell of people who want to get these sorts of things done.

Also, I rated you down for whining about being rated down. Srsly, its just a message board.
#19 Oct 22 2012 at 3:24 AM Rating: Default
Avatar
*
89 posts
Can someone please answer my question?

Why cant I go to character restore, it says the server is down for maintenance every time even though it isn't
____________________________




#20 Oct 22 2012 at 4:49 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
2,045 posts
What's wrong with the game?

Square have lost interest in the it and it's been that way for a few years now, they have a new baby and this one ain't getting any love anymore. The thing that kept people here in the past was that square loved the game and looked after it, the players stuck with it and kept paying for it due to that.

People that have played for years and years are now starting to quit, hardcore long time players leaving is a bad thing and something that never happened to this kind of level before. Player numbers are at a record low, around 1k players on every server during EST prime time (a lot of these are JP players) and around 2k on JP prime time.

I hope that the new expansion brings people back and renews SEs interest in the game because right now it's as bad as it gets, I was on yesterday and my home server is dead, the other servers I tried seemed the same. Most of the people I used to see around are gone, there are almost no new people and the GoV and other leveling spots are completely barren.
____________________________
BANNED
#21 Oct 22 2012 at 4:54 AM Rating: Good
***
1,259 posts
catwho wrote:
Huh, I'm a veritable chatterbox in any given situation.
Mostly those sorts of situations just need an ice breaker. A good joke, one at your own expense, never hurts.

Same.

For the OP - sadly those runs are usually organised and its a good idea to know what you are volunteering your self for before you do it. With so many different things to do NMs that you see may have requirements.

Some of these people who setup the runs probably just want to get a 30 minute thing done and dusted instead it ends up taking 3 hours (I have been involved in this and trust me it is very annoying). You also have to remember that you are dealing with real people with real lives. One thing some XI people remind me of is the one time (long story short) it was the 1st Diabolos fight years and years ago and we lost the next thing that I put was "Right im ****** BRB dumping my GF". Althoguh they presumed right away and to today that it was just because we lost the fight, there was real life reasons.

As for quite LS's if it is an issue, find an active one. I am in a quiet one even when it has 6-10 members it gets quiet to the point where its just me, very boring, quiet and nothing to do.

For helping - you will find those people are still about, I know a good amount of people that would help and give up hours and hours just to get you your stuffs. Samt/Yuu prime examples in my LS, they certainly would sacrifice hours to help like they have done for me and other people. With a game now much more open to smaller parties we no longer get involved in 18+ people runs, which in turn means less people in a single LS, which also means less socialising, chatting and getting a load of people to do something. Now its just get a few people - tank, healer, proc and away you go. Because the game is much more open and accessible it has lost a few things but like I said - join another LS with lots of people.
____________________________


If my velocity starts to make you sweat, then just don't
let go
#22 Oct 22 2012 at 5:18 AM Rating: Default
Avatar
**
576 posts
not worth it.



Edited, Oct 22nd 2012 4:49pm by ZanonX
____________________________

Wife: Akirah
#23 Oct 22 2012 at 8:48 AM Rating: Excellent
***
1,020 posts
Dude, whining about karma is like whining about why people don't like you. It's a known fact that people won't like you for whatever reason they wish, they don't HAVE to like you, and in the end, karma amounts to what color your name is.

Most people run with their post rating filters off anyway because subdefaulted posts are usually the source of many lulz to be had...so your argument that it hides your post is invalid. Even if your post winds up subdefaulted....click expand post, problem solved. So, really, it's just a freaking damned color.

**** the colors, full speed ahead and say what you have to say. Just don't expect everyone to like it.

Edited, Oct 22nd 2012 11:17am by Magicalsquirrel

Edited, Oct 22nd 2012 11:18am by Magicalsquirrel
____________________________
Lots of 99 jobs.
Yeah, I get bored a lot.

"It is better to be silent and thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." -Mark Twain

Reactivated account again 6/1/2013 Yeah, I'm back....again.....and I have a loooot MORE catching up to do.

#24 Oct 22 2012 at 9:14 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
****
4,416 posts
You know, the worst thing about this all is, you could have easily participated in that Voidwatch battle regardless of your progress or your voidstones. If you do not have voidstones, you yourself will only get 18,000 exp/cruor from that particular battle, and no personal rewards what so ever. But since you were only lending a hand anyhow...

They honestly really were retarded for not letting you help out. So just think of it as having saved yourself the trouble enduring a horrible party(leader).
____________________________
[XI] Surivere of Valefor
[XIV] Sir Surian Bedivere of Behemoth
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/2401553/
#25 Oct 22 2012 at 9:18 AM Rating: Excellent
Needs More Smut
Avatar
******
20,541 posts
On that note, I started Voidwatch just about a month ago. Since then I have:
- Cleared all the cities
- Cleared Jeuno Tier I
- Cleared Zilart Tier I
- Cleared all of Aht Urghan

This was entirely from shout parties.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck. Once again a top bard on the server: Dardaubla 90 on 1/6/2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest on Lamia - Member of The Swarm and leader of Grammarian Tea House chat LS
#26 Oct 22 2012 at 9:30 AM Rating: Excellent
Voidwatch is like everything else in this game, seems complicated until you start doing it and realize there's nothing to it. As for a linkshell, just surround yourself with 1-3 people and off you go. It's all you need now a days, will you get things done as fast as the bigger shells, no, but you will eventually get what you want. Our linkshell consists of 3 members with one guy dual boxing, we're working on our 5th empy right now, received every item we'd want from abyssea, started voidwatch with our bsts, etc. Will we be able to do voidwatch at later tiers, no, but you can join shouts as a group of 3 and go from there.

You can even 3 man the turtle for KS99 black belt now which we just recently did (I know, old news, but still fun).
____________________________

#27 Oct 22 2012 at 10:50 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
****
4,864 posts
Ksweet78 wrote:

For example, why do parties not talk anymore? Why are Linkshells silent, even if the list has a dozen or more people? Why do people charge 10k for a teleport now? Why is it when I ask if someone needs help, whether it be pointedly toward one or a group, or a linkshell, or a friend, help is declined, and nobody else offers? Why is my 33 MNK only a 33 MNK because I have more or less solo levelled from level 1? What happened to EXP parties that don't involve me going to Abyssea or a cave where it is utter chaos and disorginization?


Ksweet78 wrote:

These are just a few things I have started to wonder. Then I started to really think about it. This game is not what it used to be.


Yes, you're right. The game is not what it used to be.
____________________________
Carbuncle


#28 Oct 22 2012 at 11:24 AM Rating: Excellent
Guru
Avatar
**
701 posts
Ksweet78 wrote:
So,

Last night, I was in Valkrum Dunes, just kinda chillin out and setting macros, killing random mobs because they looked at me funny and just being random. I see a group of adventurers killing an NM, and it sparked my immediate interest. Let me go ahead and put a little note in here. I have done zero VW, and don't know or understand the premise behind it, but as with anything else I have not done, I am interested, and when I see a group of people fighting an NM that is basically kicking thier asses, I am always more than willing to help. So, I offer the services of my 99BLM.


See you jumped headlong into something you'd never even heard of. When is that ever a good idea? Once you heard the words "Void watch" why didn't you immediately try to find out what that was? On top of that, what you jumped into is basically the new sky or sea... it's endgame type stuff. Yeah, they shouldn't treat people the way they treated you, but I'm sure you can see it'd be frustrating to have someone volunteer for sky without having sky access. They were wrong to be so rude, but you kinda set yourself up for disaster.

Quote:
It has also raised other curious points. For example, why do parties not talk anymore?


In my experience, parties are just as chatty now as they ever were. Some are gabfests, some are silent, and some are in-between.

Quote:
Why are Linkshells silent, even if the list has a dozen or more people? Why do people charge 10k for a teleport now? Why is it when I ask if someone needs help, whether it be pointedly toward one or a group, or a linkshell, or a friend, help is declined, and nobody else offers? Why is my 33 MNK only a 33 MNK because I have more or less solo levelled from level 1? What happened to EXP parties that don't involve me going to Abyssea or a cave where it is utter chaos and disorginization?

These are just a few things I have started to wonder. Then I started to really think about it. This game is not what it used to be. Where LS leaders held the members accountable for progression. Where if you asked for help, it was cool, and there was always someone to help. If you asked for help every night, but never offered help, you still got help, but you were made to feel like a ******** for never offering, and eventually removed from your LS because you were a sponge, and good for little else.


Because after all these years SE has broken, crushed, and mutilated our spirits. Many players of all types have been driven off for one reason or another. Those of us who are left are cynical and jaded to varying degrees.
____________________________
Character: Camiie
Elvaan Female
Bastok Rank 10
MNK 99 / BST 99 / SMN 99 / DNC 99 / SAM 99 / WAR 99 / THF 99
#29 Oct 22 2012 at 11:54 AM Rating: Excellent
***
1,726 posts
Quote:
What's wrong with the game?

Square have lost interest in the it and it's been that way for a few years now, they have a new baby and this one ain't getting any love anymore. The thing that kept people here in the past was that square loved the game and looked after it, the players stuck with it and kept paying for it due to that.


Fair analogy, though their old baby was their big money-maker (biggest moneymaker in SE history, even beating out FFVII) and their new baby is perhaps the biggest money-pit in SE history. They have their priorities all backwards and totally f*ed up the whole process. FFXI was getting phoned in effectively since 2008 (signs of it since 2007), with 1 year of a good volume of updates (2010) since. The big problem is 2011 & 2012 have been very deVoid of content (Devoidwatch- watch a game with very little content added to it). Seekers of Adoulin is the right idea and right direction. I just hope the dev team is being given enough funding that it has around the same content overall as ToAU or CoP and enough interesting stuff in the 1st update to please people and draw them in/draw them back in. Just don't expect your Geomancer AF til the 2nd update. It's always been that way with expansion jobs.

I think a key juncture is when FFXIV is re-released. If it has a reception anywhere between complete flop and not terrible but that sub rate isn't going to pay off all the costs, I would think they would recommit to FFXI. I still fear FFXI crew have been pulled away and are feverishly being forced to work on FFXIV ARR *not* FFXI: Seekers of Adoulin as they should be. I'm not sure SE really learned from the FFXIV launch disaster and not properly supporting FFXI during FFXIV development. They need to update the game 4 times a year. 3 updates/year never cuts it.
____________________________
=================================================
Somewhere out there, there is a road with 2 signs on it. One says "No Trespassing". The sign right next to it says "FREE KITTENS".
=================================================
#30 Oct 22 2012 at 2:34 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
**
576 posts
not worth it.

Edited, Oct 22nd 2012 4:48pm by ZanonX
____________________________

Wife: Akirah
#31 Oct 22 2012 at 2:41 PM Rating: Excellent
Sage
****
5,684 posts
ZanonX wrote:
I wonder how to close off this account, so I can remove it so I don't have to deal with people like you lol
Why do you have to close your account to make that happen?
____________________________
Signature starts here.
#32 Oct 22 2012 at 2:47 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
**
576 posts
xypin wrote:
ZanonX wrote:
I wonder how to close off this account, so I can remove it so I don't have to deal with people like you lol
Why do you have to close your account to make that happen?


I no longer wish to post here, I don't want this name to exist on these forums or my information, so I want it closed.

thats why.
____________________________

Wife: Akirah
#33 Oct 22 2012 at 3:18 PM Rating: Excellent
Needs More Smut
Avatar
******
20,541 posts
I think if you ask a moderator nicely, they can ban you. That's about the same thing.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck. Once again a top bard on the server: Dardaubla 90 on 1/6/2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest on Lamia - Member of The Swarm and leader of Grammarian Tea House chat LS
#34 Oct 22 2012 at 6:27 PM Rating: Decent
**
411 posts
KojiroSoma wrote:
You know, the worst thing about this all is, you could have easily participated in that Voidwatch battle regardless of your progress or your voidstones. If you do not have voidstones, you yourself will only get 18,000 exp/cruor from that particular battle, and no personal rewards what so ever. But since you were only lending a hand anyhow...

They honestly really were retarded for not letting you help out. So just think of it as having saved yourself the trouble enduring a horrible party(leader).

If he has never done VW(like he said) and was on a job like BLM(like he said) he would not have been much help.
____________________________
http://vigilantcitizen.com/?p=3571 - Mind Control Theories Used By Mass Media
#35 Oct 23 2012 at 6:58 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
225 posts
Don't be so hard on Twistedsoul, you just saw his ally getting their asses handed to them by Ig-Alima. Your question to him about VW was just bad timing. Twistedsoul not a bad guy, but he is a bit of a perfectness and has no mercy on people who don't know their job or what to do.
Watch out for these kind of people, former leaders of big endgame LS's Malekith, Breezyy (to name some on Asura, there are a few more) great at putting runs together, but will eat you alive if you do something wrong or weak at your job.
____________________________
Cly >>>>> Asura Windy(Rules) 10
War 99, Whm 99, Rdm 99, Blm 99, Drk 99, Drg 99, Thf 99, Bst 99, Pld 99, Sam 99, Smn 99, Brd 99 Nin 49, Dnc 50, Cor 46

Whoever is winning at the moment will always seem to be invincible.
George Orwell
#36 Oct 23 2012 at 2:08 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
9,382 posts
jakarai wrote:

If he has never done VW(like he said) and was on a job like BLM(like he said) he would not have been much help.


Eh, if people were calling hints, and took 2 mins to tell him where to look up a proc list and which ones he could start with, he probably would have been fine. "Watch which enfeebles you cast, consider what overwrites what." if he has been around any amount of time he'll probably know more about that aspect than a burned up blm of today.

At least if they weren't all blmed up. But really, in VW you can almost always use another blm.

However they were probably jacked anyway if people were quitting the run.

I'm sort of tired of XI at the moment, mostly because my LS is all on breaks. I'd love to do some meeble burrows but, who knows. I'd rather do it with my LS but... no one on anymore. I find PuGs to be stressful because of stuff like what this thread is about. I'm always terrified I'll mess up and make my name mud. Or people start calling people names and getting ridiculous.

It's fine to want to be efficient etc. But stuff happens. I wish people could can the attitude.
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.

clicky
#37 Oct 23 2012 at 4:09 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
312 posts
KojiroSoma wrote:
You know, the worst thing about this all is, you could have easily participated in that Voidwatch battle regardless of your progress or your voidstones. If you do not have voidstones, you yourself will only get 18,000 exp/cruor from that particular battle, and no personal rewards what so ever. But since you were only lending a hand anyhow...

They honestly really were retarded for not letting you help out. So just think of it as having saved yourself the trouble enduring a horrible party(leader).


BGwiki wrote:
In order to participate in Voidwatch, you must satisfy the following conditions:
Be level 75 or higher.
Possess an Adventurer's Certificate (You Must be Rank 3 or higher from the starting cities.)
Possess any stratum abyssite (initially obtained from a city area Voidwatch Officer).


Since the OP knows little about VW as he stated, its unlikely he would have even had a stratum abyssite. So no he wouldn't have been able to participate. Second BLM relies heavily on VW progress to do well. People may have forgotten, but a blm spamming spells is going to run out of mp fast and without temps he would just be sitting there. He also wouldnt have a list of procs or even know what the procs were.
#38 Oct 23 2012 at 9:43 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
****
7,481 posts


Relevant. It is why I quit the game, and also why I resub here and there...the grind for gear/money ruined the game for me, yet it is always nice to return and say hello to friends. Its why I never stopped posting here.

Spent a lot of time with people and despite the directions we went, the new friends we attained, there was always the nod in town, or the wave in the field. Even to people you do not wholly like, I remember helping a Thanthalas(ofGardua) out a few times on Garuda, yet here we spent the better part of 2 years trolling the sh*t out of each other.

Memories is all we get, and to some memories are being the elite job on their server, racing for top levels, and the best gear, to others, it is the adventures they had with those around them. Not always accomplishing something, but having fun nonetheless.

Thats what I think changed in the game, i think the adventure died, after WoTG there really wasn't anything left to explore...abyssea didn't change that, hopefully this new Expo, will rekindle that spark of being an adventurer...hopefully.

Edited, Oct 23rd 2012 11:44pm by rdmcandie

Edited, Oct 23rd 2012 11:52pm by rdmcandie
____________________________
HEY GOOGLE. **** OFF YOU. **** YOUR ******** SEARCH ENGINE IN ITS ******* ****** BINARY ***. ALL DAY LONG.

#39 Oct 24 2012 at 1:36 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
****
9,382 posts
Dantedmc wrote:


BGwiki wrote:
In order to participate in Voidwatch, you must satisfy the following conditions:
Be level 75 or higher.
Possess an Adventurer's Certificate (You Must be Rank 3 or higher from the starting cities.)
Possess any stratum abyssite (initially obtained from a city area Voidwatch Officer).


Since the OP knows little about VW as he stated, its unlikely he would have even had a stratum abyssite. So no he wouldn't have been able to participate. Second BLM relies heavily on VW progress to do well. People may have forgotten, but a blm spamming spells is going to run out of mp fast and without temps he would just be sitting there. He also wouldnt have a list of procs or even know what the procs were.


Ah forgot the possessing an abyssite part. Didn't even consider that a person would have never once talked to the npcs, but totally possible. So yeah, then useless.

As for the second part, I agree they wouldn't be a LOT of help, but better than nothing really (if they could participate) - plus, I know, myself, that I use mana powders etc. when I see people around me need mp so, that's not necessarily game breaking. Also who doesn't have some refresh on gear and/or from a sub job?

As for the list of procs, if they had a smart phone or a tablet and could call the BG list up, it's not SO VERY HARD.

Edited, Oct 24th 2012 12:37am by Olorinus
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.

clicky
#40 Nov 21 2012 at 7:33 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
124 posts
clyment wrote:
Don't be so hard on Twistedsoul, you just saw his ally getting their asses handed to them by Ig-Alima. Your question to him about VW was just bad timing. Twistedsoul not a bad guy, but he is a bit of a perfectness and has no mercy on people who don't know their job or what to do.
Watch out for these kind of people, former leaders of big endgame LS's Malekith, Breezyy (to name some on Asura, there are a few more) great at putting runs together, but will eat you alive if you do something wrong or weak at your job.



Laugh at these people, because besides FFXI, they are complete losers.
____________________________
Rdm75 Sam75 Drg62

"Treat people the way you want to be treated."







#41 Nov 21 2012 at 8:18 PM Rating: Decent
**
627 posts
catwho wrote:
Huh, I'm a veritable chatterbox in any given situation. Then again, even if I don't know anyone very well, I'll usually get at least one "I see you post on ZAM a lot" and the conversation can just take off from there.

Mostly those sorts of situations just need an ice breaker. A good joke, one at your own expense, never hurts.



I'm sorry Catwho, but I have to differ with you on this post, for 2 reasons.

#1.) I've posted on this website my in-game name, and been on while you are on, nothing from you. True, maybe your situation was mainly focused on FFXIV and why it wouldn't let anyone log-on, but still, lol. Never have you posted for or against me on this site since I came back after my 3 1/2 year lapse since last posting(which you were posting at the time too).

#2.) Funny thing is?!,.... My wife is actually in your LS on FFXI, no one has even tried to talk to her, let alone you, even when she repeatedly says "Hello, how is everyone doing?" to your shell.

Maybe I'm of a dieing breed, "be kind to me?!, I am kind in return". Idk, FFXI lacks ppl of conviction and curtiousey.
____________________________
~I am thee Anti-God~
Former Mega Boss of ValiantKnights(VK) of Bismarck. It makes me so proud even to this day, that anyone involved with VK, still calls me Mega Boss. Dirant, Sirbob and Neoyurikraz, I love you guys. It makes a grown man humble, to think that his ideas made you all back him til the end and even til this day. I miss those memories we made, and I truly miss you guys. I hope everyone involved with that shell, is insanely happy in their lives(even those I hate n BL'ed(Ladysorrow).
#42 Nov 21 2012 at 8:52 PM Rating: Default
**
627 posts
RavennofTitan wrote:
All this happen long before abyssea. People didn't talk in merit parities and doing so to much would lead right you you being rep with out notice. Killing the same HNM for the 100th time really didn't merit going over the strat for a 100th time. I would say it was worse in the good old days since leveling and meriting was the biggest chore in the game you just couldn't op-out of. If you waited around for 2 to 3 hours plus for a party you wanted to get the most out of that as you could.



Really? When was the "good old days" to you? 2010? Never in any of the bird camps or any other merit pt's back then, did anyone ignore each other, regardless of the topic. The only times I remember people being booted in a merit pt or HNM kill(cuz of chat log), was for excessive spamming of a retarded emote or macro, after being told to please knock it off, cuz it clogged up the chat.

Even back then, those who waited around for a pt for hours on end, were those who were leeches, just like today. Seriously, you don't try to get the "most" out of this game by waiting around for hours on end, either back in 2006 or now. >.>
____________________________
~I am thee Anti-God~
Former Mega Boss of ValiantKnights(VK) of Bismarck. It makes me so proud even to this day, that anyone involved with VK, still calls me Mega Boss. Dirant, Sirbob and Neoyurikraz, I love you guys. It makes a grown man humble, to think that his ideas made you all back him til the end and even til this day. I miss those memories we made, and I truly miss you guys. I hope everyone involved with that shell, is insanely happy in their lives(even those I hate n BL'ed(Ladysorrow).
#43 Nov 21 2012 at 8:56 PM Rating: Good
Needs More Smut
Avatar
******
20,541 posts
Uh, what shell? My linkshell exploded a fiery death a few weeks back and so I technically don't run one any more. Smiley: bah If she's popping into NoSeph, there's a big lsmes message right now that says "VWOOP VWOOP ABANDON SHELL" and I'm going to be dropping the shell for good after this weekend. So of course no one would be answering...

The above post was specifically in reference to parties and alliances, though. If there's at least one name in there I recognize, I'll talk.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck. Once again a top bard on the server: Dardaubla 90 on 1/6/2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest on Lamia - Member of The Swarm and leader of Grammarian Tea House chat LS
#44 Nov 21 2012 at 9:23 PM Rating: Decent
**
627 posts
Yes, it is in reference to NoSephiroth. And she was on earlier this week when you were on, while you were all complainig about FFXIV and how it wouldn't let anyone play the game. And she has been in your shell for the past month and change. :P And that wasn't the LS message, lol.

Edited, Nov 21st 2012 8:26pm by Nuhnisgodly
____________________________
~I am thee Anti-God~
Former Mega Boss of ValiantKnights(VK) of Bismarck. It makes me so proud even to this day, that anyone involved with VK, still calls me Mega Boss. Dirant, Sirbob and Neoyurikraz, I love you guys. It makes a grown man humble, to think that his ideas made you all back him til the end and even til this day. I miss those memories we made, and I truly miss you guys. I hope everyone involved with that shell, is insanely happy in their lives(even those I hate n BL'ed(Ladysorrow).
#45 Nov 21 2012 at 10:02 PM Rating: Excellent
Needs More Smut
Avatar
******
20,541 posts
It was as of yesterday. Smiley: frown

I'm sorry your wife wasn't able to get help from my shell. They are... were.... good people, for the most part. The shell died partly because of my absence, and numerous other factors that don't belong on a public forum. Unfortunately, I'm in graduate school, which is why I stepped down from active leadership over a year ago, because I can no longer devote the time to being in an HNM, let alone running an event shell.

On the other hand, we were an EST based shell, and when Lahurah and I were complaining about getting kicked out of FFXIV, it was 1AM EST. That's way past the normal bedtime of a lot of the group. ****, Lah is usually logged off by 10PM.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck. Once again a top bard on the server: Dardaubla 90 on 1/6/2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest on Lamia - Member of The Swarm and leader of Grammarian Tea House chat LS
#46 Nov 21 2012 at 10:04 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
****
7,481 posts
Pics please. I need an excuse for making popcorn.


also Catwho. Question. Did the shell implode yesterday? If so and his wife was on earlier this week that leaves Sunday-Wednesday (or Monday-Wednesday depending on how you view your weeks.) If that was the case and she was being ignored in a then "healthy" shell, I gotta side with the new old guy.

Edited, Nov 21st 2012 11:07pm by rdmcandie
____________________________
HEY GOOGLE. **** OFF YOU. **** YOUR ******** SEARCH ENGINE IN ITS ******* ****** BINARY ***. ALL DAY LONG.

#47 Nov 21 2012 at 10:11 PM Rating: Excellent
**
437 posts
Nuhnisgodly wrote:

Even back then, those who waited around for a pt for hours on end, were those who were leeches, just like today. Seriously, you don't try to get the "most" out of this game by waiting around for hours on end, either back in 2006 or now. >.>


Yes, the reason my THF, DRG, PUP, etc all waited for hours for a party was because I am a leech.

So by your logic I'm a leech and that is the reason I couldn't get party invites. So how does your "leech argument" work when my COR, SAM, BRD, etc got party invites even when I was in a party already?
#48 Nov 21 2012 at 10:13 PM Rating: Excellent
Needs More Smut
Avatar
******
20,541 posts
You don't have to pick sides. Or ****, pick his, I don't care. I'm not in the mood to argue about it.

The decision to nuke it happened on Sunday, but it was mostly cleared out last week and only had a handful of players left who didn't want to abandon others still left in it. Everything's cool now, we're all (mostly) still friends, but it's going to be a long, cold day before I'm anything vaguely leader-related again.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck. Once again a top bard on the server: Dardaubla 90 on 1/6/2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest on Lamia - Member of The Swarm and leader of Grammarian Tea House chat LS
#49 Nov 21 2012 at 10:42 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
****
7,481 posts
catwho wrote:
You don't have to pick sides. Or ****, pick his, I don't care. I'm not in the mood to argue about it.

The decision to nuke it happened on Sunday, but it was mostly cleared out last week and only had a handful of players left who didn't want to abandon others still left in it. Everything's cool now, we're all (mostly) still friends, but it's going to be a long, cold day before I'm anything vaguely leader-related again.


wouldn't it be crazy if he used his wifes account to start the ******** spinning out of control after 3 years of building spite?
____________________________
HEY GOOGLE. **** OFF YOU. **** YOUR ******** SEARCH ENGINE IN ITS ******* ****** BINARY ***. ALL DAY LONG.

#50 Nov 21 2012 at 10:47 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
****
7,481 posts
TribalProphet wrote:
Nuhnisgodly wrote:

Even back then, those who waited around for a pt for hours on end, were those who were leeches, just like today. Seriously, you don't try to get the "most" out of this game by waiting around for hours on end, either back in 2006 or now. >.>


Yes, the reason my THF, DRG, PUP, etc all waited for hours for a party was because I am a leech.

So by your logic I'm a leech and that is the reason I couldn't get party invites. So how does your "leech argument" work when my COR, SAM, BRD, etc got party invites even when I was in a party already?


Build your own party?

Most of the people who complain about not getting parties are those who never make their own parties, if I wait longer than 10 without seeing a PT shout or an invite, and I actually feel like playing, ill build a PT, if I feel like leeching, ill continue to wait.


Edited, Nov 21st 2012 11:48pm by rdmcandie
____________________________
HEY GOOGLE. **** OFF YOU. **** YOUR ******** SEARCH ENGINE IN ITS ******* ****** BINARY ***. ALL DAY LONG.

#51Nuhnisgodly, Posted: Nov 21 2012 at 10:51 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) Seriously?! You want me to answer that as far as the Drg, Pup, Cor, Sam, Brd goes? As far as your Thf? You really got me there, were you completely undergeared and underleveled? Otherwise, back in 2006-2009 a Thf that wasn't horrible wouldn't recieve anything less then a few pt invites a week, even without a flag being up. >.>
« Previous 1 2
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 74 All times are in CST
Viertel, Zafire, Anonymous Guests (72)