Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Think you're good at ballista? 50 mil Gil good?Follow

#27 Oct 12 2012 at 9:41 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
****
4,864 posts
PVP in FFXI is like pitting this years Astros against the best Yankees team ever.

In other words "Guess what guys, I beat a blind man in a vision test."
____________________________
Carbuncle


#28 Oct 13 2012 at 12:56 PM Rating: Excellent
**
315 posts
Quote:
PVP in FFXI is like pitting this years Astros against the best Yankees team ever.

In other words "Guess what guys, I beat a blind man in a vision test."


Even though PvP in FFXI is unbalanced and pointless, it's fun to get out of the regular routine once in a while. PvP challenges you in ways PvE never can. Once someone comes up with a strategy, it's pretty much just following the script after that, for example, @ 66% we do this, @ 50% we do that, or even worse, fanatic's/fool's spam.

Mobs are very predictable, players aren't. The unpredictability is where I get my enjoyment.
____________________________
75NIN, 75BLM, 75SCH, 75SAM, 64BRD, 41RDM, 37DNC, 37WHM, 37WAR
#29jakarai, Posted: Oct 13 2012 at 1:01 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) From people who have said they beat him.
#30 Oct 13 2012 at 1:11 PM Rating: Excellent
Sage
****
5,684 posts
jakarai wrote:
CorncobWilly wrote:
jakarai wrote:
From what I heard he doesn't actually pay up.
Where did you "hear" this? I'm fairly certain that if someone accepted the challenge, beat him, and didn't get paid they would have posted about it.
From people who have said they beat him.
I heard cats are a superior life form from a far off planet that secretly rule the world.

I heard this from people who talk to cats.
____________________________
Signature starts here.
#31 Oct 13 2012 at 1:30 PM Rating: Excellent
Sage
Avatar
**
777 posts
jakarai wrote:
CorncobWilly wrote:
jakarai wrote:
From what I heard he doesn't actually pay up.



Where did you "hear" this? I'm fairly certain that if someone accepted the challenge, beat him, and didn't get paid they would have posted about it.

From people who have said they beat him.

ZOMG yeah! I totally beat him on my BST/DNC with CourierCarrie and he totally didn't pay up!!

See how easy that is?
#32 Oct 13 2012 at 4:54 PM Rating: Good
****
4,720 posts
jakarai wrote:
CorncobWilly wrote:
jakarai wrote:
From what I heard he doesn't actually pay up.



Where did you "hear" this? I'm fairly certain that if someone accepted the challenge, beat him, and didn't get paid they would have posted about it.

From people who have said they beat him.
But three times? Even then, it could be before he came up with the offer when he was working his way up.
____________________________
Reiterpallasch wrote:
Horst needs a 1 minute, 15 foot doom aura. Get in, get out, or @#%^ing die.
Calmus wrote:
...draining with sambas is kind of like you smack the thing and as you smack blood flies out... normally the blood would just you know fall and be red an what-not, but, with the samba your all whacked out and decide to drink the blood as it flys out. thus not adding MORE damage just taking more advantage of your damage. at least thats my take on it.
#33 Oct 14 2012 at 6:02 AM Rating: Decent
The All Knowing
Avatar
*****
10,152 posts
The guy is just having fun. That's why there's no loss for you losing. No one does ballista and he can't have fun murking people if no one is playing. He's not unbeatable, just no one wants to put the time an effort to be able to win.
#34jakarai, Posted: Oct 14 2012 at 8:04 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) I hate this forum. I don't know why you guys are down rating my post I'm just telling you what people have told me.
#35 Oct 14 2012 at 8:09 PM Rating: Good
***
1,020 posts
jakarai wrote:
I hate this forum. I don't know why you guys are down rating my post I'm just telling you what people have told me.


Worrying about lolkarma is like....someone help me out here, my brain isn't working so well. Just that it's not worth worrying about rate ups or rate downs because in the end it's just a color.

____________________________
Lots of 99 jobs.
Yeah, I get bored a lot.

"It is better to be silent and thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." -Mark Twain

FFXI: Magisquirrel, Lakshmi --Lot of 99 jobs --Retired
FFXIV: Magisquirrel Acornpicker, Sarganatas --Class filler space here.

#36 Oct 14 2012 at 8:09 PM Rating: Excellent
Sage
****
5,684 posts
Generally, when you make a claim, people expect proof such as screenshots or even video.

This is especially true when your claims embarrass or discredit another person/player. Given that the PvPer has, so far, been fairly reserved about his actions, it makes your need for evidence even more important.

It doesn't matter if you heard about this from a friend or if you beat the player on your own. You should always have evidence available when trying to make a claim such as yours.
____________________________
Signature starts here.
#37jakarai, Posted: Oct 14 2012 at 8:13 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) Okay im not even going to take your post seriously. Not everyone who fights him is going to record it.
#38 Oct 14 2012 at 8:17 PM Rating: Excellent
***
1,020 posts
jakarai wrote:
xypin wrote:
Generally, when you make a claim, people expect proof such as screenshots or even video.

This is especially true when your claims embarrass or discredit another person/player. Given that the PvPer has, so far, been fairly reserved about his actions, it makes your need for evidence even more important.

It doesn't matter if you heard about this from a friend or if you beat the player on your own. You should always have evidence available when trying to make a claim such as yours.


Okay im not even going to take your post seriously. Not everyone who fights him is going to record it.


And the point of his post went completely whoosh.

Doesn't matter if everyone records it. What matters is that YOU post material (screenshots or whatnot) that backs up YOUR point. If you're going to discredit someone, POIDH.
____________________________
Lots of 99 jobs.
Yeah, I get bored a lot.

"It is better to be silent and thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." -Mark Twain

FFXI: Magisquirrel, Lakshmi --Lot of 99 jobs --Retired
FFXIV: Magisquirrel Acornpicker, Sarganatas --Class filler space here.

#39 Oct 14 2012 at 8:19 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
****
6,260 posts
jakarai wrote:
I hate this forum. I don't know why you guys are down rating my post I'm just telling you what people have told me.

Because you're full of **** and everyone can smell it.
____________________________
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Airships on fire off the shoulder of Bahamut. I watched Scapula Beams glitter in the dark near the Three Mage Gate...

Nilatai wrote:
Vlorsutes wrote:
There's always...not trolling him?

You're new here, aren't you?
#40 Oct 15 2012 at 1:32 AM Rating: Excellent
jakarai wrote:
I hate this forum. I don't know why you guys are down rating my post I'm just telling you what people have told me.


They're likely negatively responding to your post because it's a matter of spreading rumors around that have no evidence to support it. Even if they didn't record it per say, anyone putting up that much gil (not to mention potentially hopping servers) to participate in this sort of contest is going to at least have some documentation of it (screenshots at least), not to mention they'd be crazy not to contact a GM in regards to it since it's a breach of a written contract. I have a feeling that those people saying that he lost but didn't pay up are ones that have some vendetta against him (likely he beat them in a similar contest and lost all that gil, so they're trying to ruin his reputation).

The point is though is that unless there's evidence to support it, those rumors are just that, rumors, and you're opening yourself up to ridicule by spreading them.
____________________________
Lady Jinte wrote:

Vlorsutes' Negotiation Skill rises 0.2 points
Vlorsutes' Observant Parent Skill rises 0.3 points
Vlorsutes' Argument Diffusing Skill rises 0.1 points

#41 Oct 15 2012 at 4:39 AM Rating: Good
***
2,890 posts
Looking at his video he's just using the same tactics a RDM used to use, Bind / Stun / Sleep / (Now Break) / + drain / aspir to death. Though DRK has far superior Drain / Aspir skills. Looks like he has the gear to make it very hard to hurt him along with self-heal from Cata and whatever he can use from /SCH or /RDM. As subs would be declared ahead of time and "no items" vastly favoring his techniques, the odds are in his favor most of the time. A RDM might be able to take him down but it would turn into a fight of chance, have to get rid of his LA / AW / Sublimation (he would certainly set /SCH against a RDM) to prevent him from Paralyna himself then land Sab Para II and proceed to lock him down and drain / aspir the **** out of him. If you give him any time to get his buffs up then it'll be tough to keep him at a distance.

A note on sleep, his "no items" rule is just BS as he'll be using sleep indiscriminately to get up close. The purpose of sleep isn't to knock someone out as you must always assume they have a DoT on, it's to stun then for 1~3s while they wait for the next tick to wake them up.
____________________________
RoTZ: Complete DM: O
CoP: Complete AN: O
99 SAM, RDM, BLU, WAR, PLD, DRK

lolgaxe wrote:
Nothing in this game is impossible if you set yourself to the task of actually doing it. Even dumb people can only hold you back for so long.


Lucinus wrote:
when you're hefting something that deadly, you don't miss - mobs get the **** out of the way instead...
#42 Oct 15 2012 at 7:25 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
****
4,511 posts
Got me thinking, a Paladin's Fealty ability would pretty much render all his enfeebles completely useless, wouldnt it? Stun, Bind, Sleep, Petrify, none of those will ever stick with that ability active. The only downside would be, you'd still be up against a Relic Dark Knight. Which, in most circumstances, is bad. -PDT, a decent shield and an equally impressive Emp/Relic sword should make quick work of him, wouldnt it? Heck, your subjob wouldnt even matter.
____________________________
[XI] Surivere of Valefor
[XIV] Sir Surian Bedivere of Behemoth
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/2401553/
#43 Oct 15 2012 at 7:46 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
****
6,260 posts
Yeah I was gonna go with PLD/BLU, Cocoon+Fealty, Ochain, and just Excal melee his *** down.
____________________________
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Airships on fire off the shoulder of Bahamut. I watched Scapula Beams glitter in the dark near the Three Mage Gate...

Nilatai wrote:
Vlorsutes wrote:
There's always...not trolling him?

You're new here, aren't you?
#44 Oct 15 2012 at 8:19 AM Rating: Good
**
571 posts
saevellakshmi wrote:

A note on sleep, his "no items" rule is just BS as he'll be using sleep indiscriminately to get up close. The purpose of sleep isn't to knock someone out as you must always assume they have a DoT on, it's to stun then for 1~3s while they wait for the next tick to wake them up.



It's possible to resist sleeps on a regular basis (barsleep, resist sleep traits, resist gear in general, /sch sub), so I hope he wouldn't use that as a main strategy.

The real key is seeing how adaptable the participants are, since it's two out of three.


____________________________
TaruTempleofFlesh
~
You have drg, blu, mnk, nin, war and blm? Can you come bard? Come bard.
#45 Oct 15 2012 at 1:24 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
4,864 posts
Fermion wrote:
Quote:
PVP in FFXI is like pitting this years Astros against the best Yankees team ever.

In other words "Guess what guys, I beat a blind man in a vision test."


Even though PvP in FFXI is unbalanced and pointless, it's fun to get out of the regular routine once in a while. PvP challenges you in ways PvE never can. Once someone comes up with a strategy, it's pretty much just following the script after that, for example, @ 66% we do this, @ 50% we do that, or even worse, fanatic's/fool's spam.

Mobs are very predictable, players aren't. The unpredictability is where I get my enjoyment.


Sitting in a tree with full camo on and the best sniper rifle in a FPS online is fun. Let's not pretend like fun = fair.

PVP in FFXI = picking the best job and trying it out a few times until you can exploit an advantage over other players. I graduated from this when the exploit used to be sleep bolt to 100 tp, and SA+WS insta kill the opponent.

Are you telling me somehow it's barranced now, or is it still pretty much pick a job that has an exploit, work on the minor few skills necessary to implement that exploit and go to town?


____________________________
Carbuncle


#46 Oct 15 2012 at 2:59 PM Rating: Decent
Sage
***
3,638 posts
saevellakshmi wrote:
his "no items" rule is just BS as he'll be using sleep indiscriminately to get up close.

Any rule that applies to you applies to him too. Any spell he spams or tactic he abuses could be flung right back in his face. If the rule gives him an advantage, its because his opponent gives away that advantage. Claiming a rule is BS is basically admitting you're not good enough to beat him.
____________________________
http://ereblog.livejournal.com/
Erecia and Ereblog are BACK, baby!
#47 Oct 15 2012 at 4:57 PM Rating: Excellent
**
640 posts
I feel the PVP balance was non existent long before Abyssea and became even more silly after the level cap increase. Sure I haven't played Ballista since 2009 but I hardly believe SE have ever balanced it since WOTG.
#48 Oct 15 2012 at 9:58 PM Rating: Default
*
135 posts
Raelix wrote:
Yeah I was gonna go with PLD/BLU, Cocoon+Fealty, Ochain, and just Excal melee his *** down.



So do it then.

#49 Oct 15 2012 at 11:21 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
Avatar
****
6,260 posts
Well gimmie a couple hundred mil for currency and mercing souls and $25 for server transfer I've got the first part handled.
____________________________
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Airships on fire off the shoulder of Bahamut. I watched Scapula Beams glitter in the dark near the Three Mage Gate...

Nilatai wrote:
Vlorsutes wrote:
There's always...not trolling him?

You're new here, aren't you?
#50 Oct 15 2012 at 11:52 PM Rating: Excellent
Raelix wrote:
Well gimmie a couple hundred mil for currency and mercing souls and $25 for server transfer I've got the first part handled.


I believe that he's willing to reimburse the $25 for the transfer if you take him up on it, but what turns me off the most to it is that if I transfer over for the match, I'd be stuck on that server until I was able to transfer again, and I don't want to be over on another server for that long. Even if I were to beat him and obtain all that gil, it'd still be a little bittersweet given that I'd be away from my friends for so long.

Edited, Oct 16th 2012 1:53am by Vlorsutes
____________________________
Lady Jinte wrote:

Vlorsutes' Negotiation Skill rises 0.2 points
Vlorsutes' Observant Parent Skill rises 0.3 points
Vlorsutes' Argument Diffusing Skill rises 0.1 points

#51 Oct 16 2012 at 5:17 AM Rating: Good
****
4,720 posts
Professor Shock Vlorsutes wrote:
Raelix wrote:
Well gimmie a couple hundred mil for currency and mercing souls and $25 for server transfer I've got the first part handled.


I believe that he's willing to reimburse the $25 for the transfer if you take him up on it,
That's only if you even win the fight. Lose it and you lost yourself $50 if you plan on transferring back out of your own pocket after a month wait.
____________________________
Reiterpallasch wrote:
Horst needs a 1 minute, 15 foot doom aura. Get in, get out, or @#%^ing die.
Calmus wrote:
...draining with sambas is kind of like you smack the thing and as you smack blood flies out... normally the blood would just you know fall and be red an what-not, but, with the samba your all whacked out and decide to drink the blood as it flys out. thus not adding MORE damage just taking more advantage of your damage. at least thats my take on it.
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 116 All times are in CDT
Anonymous Guests (116)