Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Interview With Mizuki Ito on FFXI's New Expansion PackFollow

#1 Aug 01 2012 at 7:02 PM Rating: Excellent
Sage
Avatar
****
5,391 posts
Another interesting interview, thought I make a topic for it.

From: http://eu.square-enix.com/en/blog/interview-mizuki-ito-final-fantasy-xis-new-expansion-pack
Quote:


We recently spoke to Director Mizuki Ito about the new FINAL FANTASY XI expansion Seekers of Adoulin. We put forward some questions from the community to shed some light on what we can expect in the new expansion pack.



Can you please explain a bit more about the title, “Seekers of Adoulin”?


ITO: (I will reveal some details about the game itself in the later questions) but the following should shed some light on the meaning behind the title. The Adoulin part refers to the Sacred City of Adoulin Alliance which is on the East Coast of the Ulbuka continent which is to the far west of the Quon continent. For reasons unknown, the East Coast of Ulbuka is thriving with countless trees and the land has transformed into a vast jungle that has become so overrun it prevents anyone from entering. It is a jungle rich with hidden secrets and history and, in this expansion pack, the Adventurers have been asked to set out and explore the mysteries that lie within its depths.


Why did you decide to implement these particular jobs?

ITO: Actually, the idea of having a Geomancer had been raised many times before. We sincerely wanted to make this a reality and then finally got the chance to do this and incorporate a new play style. With the Rune Fencer, we wanted to increase the number of options for ‘tank’ jobs that are needed for creating a rounded party and also to increase the number of tactics players can adopt to withstand elemental attacks from monsters.



Are you planning to introduce new type of weapons in the game that will complement the new jobs?

ITO: The new jobs will gain access to two-handed swords and one-handed staffs as their specialist weapons when the expansion pack is released. We will also be adding some more versatile weapons and plan to gradually implement a number of extra specialist weapons over time. Although we do not intend to add any new types of weapons, we will add “Bell” instruments for Geomancers.



When previous expansion packs were released, not all areas were available at launch. Will it be the same situation with “Seekers of Adoulin” and, if so, can we expect to see its game world expand in the future instead?

ITO: Adoulin will follow the same pattern as previous expansions and the areas will gradually open up over time. In this expansion, the hinterland will get deeper and deeper, allowing players to undertake expeditions that go increasingly inward. Future additions will also include ruins that have never been seen before.


The main city where all players used to be was Jeuno, then it switched to Aht Urhgan Whitegate / Al Zahbi in 2006 and we are now back to Jeuno since the release of Abyssea. Are we expecting Adoulin to be the new “main city”? What kind of city is it going to be?


ITO: We plan to split the popularity between Adoulin and Jeuno, both of which will act as main cities. Adoulin will inherit all the functions previous cities had and provide easy access to and from Jeuno. Both cities will also share the same ‘Shout’ channel. Adoulin will encompass an area with several old, preserved stone buildings like those in San d’Oria and, to create a mix of old and new, there will be another section with new wooden buildings and extensions built on old stone structures. We have gone for a design that gives it a sense of history but also conveys a rough city that has been invigorated by trade. We have also introduced waterways to give it a nice touch and imagine it could be known as the ‘City of Water’.



Is there a direct connection between the main storyline of “Seekers of Adoulin” and any of the storylines players have experienced so far?


ITO: They are not directly connected, but we will capitalise on the details of Adoulin’s background that have been mentioned before. There is no direct link to the main story, but the quests will have some sort of connection.



What kind of adventure can players experience in “Seekers of Adoulin”? Will the content be mainly focused on the high level players or does the design also take new players into account?



ITO: As far as battling monsters goes, we recommend that you try to reach level 99 first. You do not need to be at that level for the quests and hunts issued by the guilds, but low level players who do not have any means of evading trouble will find it tough going (basically if you have started a new game it could be a struggle to get to Adoulin if you have only spent an hour levelling). Even though I say 99 is the recommended level, it is less about difficult battles than deep exploration, which becomes more advantageous for the higher level players.


Where does this upcoming expansion pack take its inspiration from?

ITO: I suppose most of the inspiration probably came from FFXI’s background. We looked for new situations that had yet to be explored in FFXI and the idea of introducing a jungle came to mind. Since we were building this into a MMO structure, the theme of exploring alongside other players came about naturally. We allowed our imaginations to give the project greater scope that evolved from when we first started work on the original plan, writing down everything as we went along. Perhaps, then, this is a natural culmination of everything we have tried to accomplish so far with FFXI.



Can we expect to fight entirely new and powerful notorious monsters?

ITO: Yes indeed. There will be large imposing monsters that are linked to the deep pioneering and exploration system and even the main story will feature some fierce battles.


Do you have a message for all the players looking forward to the adventure waiting for them in Adoulin?


ITO: “Seekers of Adoulin” allows for various styles of play. Our hope is that everyone takes part and develops their own play styles, therefore helping to contribute to the world in ways that everyone can benefit from. This will be a great MMO and community experience too, so I hope you all enjoy getting involved!


Edited, Aug 1st 2012 9:25pm by Szabo
#2 Aug 01 2012 at 7:23 PM Rating: Good
Needs More Smut
Avatar
******
20,211 posts
Mizuki wrote:
Although we do not intend to add any new types of weapons, we will add “Bell” instruments for Geomancers.


Smiley: dubious
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck. Once again a top bard on the server: Dardaubla 90 on 1/6/2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest on Lamia - Member of The Swarm and leader of Grammarian Tea House chat LS
#3 Aug 01 2012 at 7:46 PM Rating: Decent
Oh Goodie another staff specialist. That makes what 4? Although in recent months they've been pushing scholar onto club.
____________________________
If cookies were milk and milk was cookies. Would Oreo's still be america's favorite brand of milk?
#4 Aug 01 2012 at 7:50 PM Rating: Excellent
Maybe we'll see a couple new fire weather zones.
____________________________
"Beyond poor, Beyond ostracized, Destined to be obscured" Black Nurse
#5 Aug 01 2012 at 8:14 PM Rating: Good
Sage
***
3,636 posts
Quote:
ITO: We plan to split the popularity between Adoulin and Jeuno, both of which will act as main cities.

He doesn't seem to understand the concept here.
____________________________
http://ereblog.livejournal.com/
Erecia and Ereblog are BACK, baby!
#6 Aug 01 2012 at 9:04 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
***
1,709 posts
Laxedrane the Irrelevant wrote:
Oh Goodie another staff specialist. That makes what 4? Although in recent months they've been pushing scholar onto club.

ITO wrote:
The new jobs will gain access to two-handed swords and one-handed staffs as their specialist weapons.

I'm gonna assume its just lost in translation and they mean clubs.

Edited, Aug 1st 2012 10:04pm by Telaki
____________________________
Sever: Diabolos Bahamut Lakshmi
Angryempath wrote:
Well, if you like having your center of mass above your neck, play Taru. Don't blame me when the wind picks up and you flip over >_>

Rog wrote:
I hate you @#%^ing retards that don't understand that the game pre75 and the game post 75 are two completely @#%^ing different games.
#8 Aug 02 2012 at 12:14 AM Rating: Decent
Telaki wrote:
Laxedrane the Irrelevant wrote:
Oh Goodie another staff specialist. That makes what 4? Although in recent months they've been pushing scholar onto club.

ITO wrote:
The new jobs will gain access to two-handed swords and one-handed staffs as their specialist weapons.

I'm gonna assume its just lost in translation and they mean clubs.

Edited, Aug 1st 2012 10:04pm by Telaki

I did miss that. Good catch. I kind of rather Paladin get hexa then Geo, simply becuase it sounds like it's going to be pretty offensive with magic anyways.
____________________________
If cookies were milk and milk was cookies. Would Oreo's still be america's favorite brand of milk?
#9 Aug 02 2012 at 12:47 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,580 posts
Telaki wrote:
Laxedrane the Irrelevant wrote:
Oh Goodie another staff specialist. That makes what 4? Although in recent months they've been pushing scholar onto club.

ITO wrote:
The new jobs will gain access to two-handed swords and one-handed staffs as their specialist weapons.

I'm gonna assume its just lost in translation and they mean clubs.

Well, maybe, even probably, but since there are one-handed staves in FFXIV then is it impossible they may add a new (sort of) weapon type to XI?
#10 Aug 02 2012 at 1:08 AM Rating: Excellent
Kragorn wrote:
Telaki wrote:
Laxedrane the Irrelevant wrote:
Oh Goodie another staff specialist. That makes what 4? Although in recent months they've been pushing scholar onto club.

ITO wrote:
The new jobs will gain access to two-handed swords and one-handed staffs as their specialist weapons.

I'm gonna assume its just lost in translation and they mean clubs.

Well, maybe, even probably, but since there are one-handed staves in FFXIV then is it impossible they may add a new (sort of) weapon type to XI?


They did specifically say as well they weren't adding new weapon types, so taking that into account, one-handed staves seems to be the erroneous bit of info in that unless you interpret it as being a mistranslation of club.
____________________________
Lady Jinte wrote:

Vlorsutes' Negotiation Skill rises 0.2 points
Vlorsutes' Observant Parent Skill rises 0.3 points
Vlorsutes' Argument Diffusing Skill rises 0.1 points


My thoughts and reviews on all sorts of sci-fi stuff...and things.
#11 Aug 02 2012 at 11:57 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
4,415 posts
Vlorsutes wrote:
Kragorn wrote:
Telaki wrote:
Laxedrane the Irrelevant wrote:
Oh Goodie another staff specialist. That makes what 4? Although in recent months they've been pushing scholar onto club.

ITO wrote:
The new jobs will gain access to two-handed swords and one-handed staffs as their specialist weapons.

I'm gonna assume its just lost in translation and they mean clubs.

Well, maybe, even probably, but since there are one-handed staves in FFXIV then is it impossible they may add a new (sort of) weapon type to XI?


They did specifically say as well they weren't adding new weapon types, so taking that into account, one-handed staves seems to be the erroneous bit of info in that unless you interpret it as being a mistranslation of club.

Either that or Geomancers don't get many dates.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
____________________________
Aliekber
RDM BLU SCH DRG PLD BLM NIN WHM
Linkshell: CrimsonMercenaries Server: Carbamesh

Sandinmygum the Stupendous wrote:
Human (?) females look ugly.
Post in /K/ where the orbital laser system is now online.
#12 Aug 02 2012 at 4:02 PM Rating: Excellent
Sage
**
643 posts
Erecia wrote:
Quote:
ITO: We plan to split the popularity between Adoulin and Jeuno, both of which will act as main cities.

He doesn't seem to understand the concept here.


Quote:
Both cities will also share the same ‘Shout’ channel.

I think he does, if I am reading it right. /shouts made in Jeuno can be heard in Adoulin. Add WG to the list and you have a real winner.
#13 Aug 02 2012 at 6:17 PM Rating: Good
is Happy on Friday!
*****
12,443 posts
xantav wrote:
Erecia wrote:
Quote:
ITO: We plan to split the popularity between Adoulin and Jeuno, both of which will act as main cities.

He doesn't seem to understand the concept here.


Quote:
Both cities will also share the same ‘Shout’ channel.

I think he does, if I am reading it right. /shouts made in Jeuno can be heard in Adoulin. Add WG to the list and you have a real winner.

Fairly certain that's a mistranslation and he means /yell, since /shout in jeuno is for each individual zone. That said, I don't disagree with adding WG to that list.
____________________________
Theytak, Siren Server
LOLGAXE IS MY ETERNAL RIVAL!

Reiterpallasch wrote:
Glitterhands wrote:
Am I the only one who clicked on this thread expecting actual baby photos [of Jinte]? o.O

Except if it were baby photos, it would be like looking at before and afters of Michael Jackson. Only instead of turning into a white guy, he changes into a chick!
#14 Aug 02 2012 at 11:05 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
674 posts
The expansion sounds exactly like what I enjoy most about the game in a tightly rolled ball of fun. Exploration. I'm sure if players cast their minds back to when they were a fledgling level 5 with no support job, the fun and exhilaration of finding new areas and teasing out their secret passageways and scenic views would still be fresh in their minds even today.

As players level up, familiarity breeds contempt and you lose that sense of adventure visiting old areas. I still have many areas in ToAU I've yet to fully explore, but I always look forward to a new stomping ground to wander around. I can't wait to get my teeth into that junge!
____________________________

FFXI: Seiowan Lvl 99 WHM, SCH, BLM
#15 Aug 02 2012 at 11:27 PM Rating: Excellent
Sage
***
3,636 posts
Glitterhands wrote:
The expansion sounds exactly like what I enjoy most about the game in a tightly rolled ball of fun. Exploration. I'm sure if players cast their minds back to when they were a fledgling level 5 with no support job, the fun and exhilaration of finding new areas and teasing out their secret passageways and scenic views would still be fresh in their minds even today. (...) I still have many areas in ToAU I've yet to fully explore!

I think you undermined your own point here, and I recognized it because I had the same deal at the time. Exploring when you're a noob is fun. Running around IT mobs at 75 that will kill you in a second if sneak/invis drops to explore the deeper parts of ToAU was somehow significantly less fun.
____________________________
http://ereblog.livejournal.com/
Erecia and Ereblog are BACK, baby!
#16 Aug 03 2012 at 9:47 AM Rating: Excellent
****
5,585 posts
Erecia wrote:
Glitterhands wrote:
The expansion sounds exactly like what I enjoy most about the game in a tightly rolled ball of fun. Exploration. I'm sure if players cast their minds back to when they were a fledgling level 5 with no support job, the fun and exhilaration of finding new areas and teasing out their secret passageways and scenic views would still be fresh in their minds even today. (...) I still have many areas in ToAU I've yet to fully explore!

I think you undermined your own point here, and I recognized it because I had the same deal at the time. Exploring when you're a noob is fun. Running around IT mobs at 75 that will kill you in a second if sneak/invis drops to explore the deeper parts of ToAU was somehow significantly less fun.

Especially when there are true sensed mobs sprinkled among them.
____________________________
Lyonheart, like Eorzia, will be reborn in FFXIV!

FFXI veteran (Lyonheart and Lakiskline of Lakshmi)
1/467 on signed HQ Weskit!!!
#17 Aug 03 2012 at 10:37 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
674 posts
Erecia wrote:
Glitterhands wrote:
The expansion sounds exactly like what I enjoy most about the game in a tightly rolled ball of fun. Exploration. I'm sure if players cast their minds back to when they were a fledgling level 5 with no support job, the fun and exhilaration of finding new areas and teasing out their secret passageways and scenic views would still be fresh in their minds even today. (...) I still have many areas in ToAU I've yet to fully explore!

I think you undermined your own point here, and I recognized it because I had the same deal at the time. Exploring when you're a noob is fun. Running around IT mobs at 75 that will kill you in a second if sneak/invis drops to explore the deeper parts of ToAU was somehow significantly less fun.

What's exploration without a little danger? I enjoyed exploring ToAU areas just as much as I enjoyed anywhere else, true sight mobs and all.
____________________________

FFXI: Seiowan Lvl 99 WHM, SCH, BLM
#18 Aug 03 2012 at 10:52 AM Rating: Good
****
5,585 posts
Glitterhands wrote:
What's exploration without a little danger? I enjoyed exploring ToAU areas just as much as I enjoyed anywhere else, true sight mobs and all.

Your definition of "a little" must be different from my definition.
____________________________
Lyonheart, like Eorzia, will be reborn in FFXIV!

FFXI veteran (Lyonheart and Lakiskline of Lakshmi)
1/467 on signed HQ Weskit!!!
#19 Aug 03 2012 at 10:56 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
257 posts
Am I the only one who sees no point in them adding another tanking job when the current ones are useless at it?

How realistic is it that SE will rework the way enmity works so tanks can actually tank?
____________________________

#20 Aug 03 2012 at 12:18 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
4,415 posts
svlyons wrote:
Glitterhands wrote:
What's exploration without a little danger? I enjoyed exploring ToAU areas just as much as I enjoyed anywhere else, true sight mobs and all.

Your definition of "a little" must be different from my definition.

Honestly, I liked the level-capped dungeon crawls in CoP because of the danger, and because there was a real reason to go through the dungeons; we weren't just gallavanting through the area for kicks. The only problem with it is that if you didn't win the fight, your meds were most likely gone (and any special items were likely Rare, so you couldn't bring a hoard of them), and you would have to make the trek again, which was less than fun.

If getting through the first time and setting the "have entered this BC" flag in the mission log (despite winning or losing) let you gain access to a Goblin at the dungeon entrance who would teleport you to the BC for 200 gil or something (hidden, similar to the Cutscene Goblins), I bet the level-capped dungeons would have been a lot less disliked.
____________________________
Aliekber
RDM BLU SCH DRG PLD BLM NIN WHM
Linkshell: CrimsonMercenaries Server: Carbamesh

Sandinmygum the Stupendous wrote:
Human (?) females look ugly.
Post in /K/ where the orbital laser system is now online.
#21 Aug 03 2012 at 1:18 PM Rating: Good
is Happy on Friday!
*****
12,443 posts
svlyons wrote:
Erecia wrote:
Glitterhands wrote:
The expansion sounds exactly like what I enjoy most about the game in a tightly rolled ball of fun. Exploration. I'm sure if players cast their minds back to when they were a fledgling level 5 with no support job, the fun and exhilaration of finding new areas and teasing out their secret passageways and scenic views would still be fresh in their minds even today. (...) I still have many areas in ToAU I've yet to fully explore!

I think you undermined your own point here, and I recognized it because I had the same deal at the time. Exploring when you're a noob is fun. Running around IT mobs at 75 that will kill you in a second if sneak/invis drops to explore the deeper parts of ToAU was somehow significantly less fun.

Especially when there are true sensed mobs sprinkled among them.

Pansies. Exploring the risky stuff, being among the first to see it, finding new things no one knows about, seeing something awesome for the first time, seeing the one thing SE has always been really good at (beautiful world structure), those are all awesome and incredibly fun, especially if done with your close friends/lsmates. Running the constant risk of dropping the soap and having to start the exploration over? That gets the blood pumping. Adrenaline keeps you on edge, and makes you even more aware of your surroundings, so you tend to notice things that you might have missed otherwise. That kind of thrill is something we don't get very often in this game, so we should really **** enjoy it when we can, rather than **** and whine about it. The higher level I got, the riskier the exploring got, the more fun it was.
____________________________
Theytak, Siren Server
LOLGAXE IS MY ETERNAL RIVAL!

Reiterpallasch wrote:
Glitterhands wrote:
Am I the only one who clicked on this thread expecting actual baby photos [of Jinte]? o.O

Except if it were baby photos, it would be like looking at before and afters of Michael Jackson. Only instead of turning into a white guy, he changes into a chick!
#23 Aug 03 2012 at 3:44 PM Rating: Good
is Happy on Friday!
*****
12,443 posts
Oh come one, you know they'll have worse.
____________________________
Theytak, Siren Server
LOLGAXE IS MY ETERNAL RIVAL!

Reiterpallasch wrote:
Glitterhands wrote:
Am I the only one who clicked on this thread expecting actual baby photos [of Jinte]? o.O

Except if it were baby photos, it would be like looking at before and afters of Michael Jackson. Only instead of turning into a white guy, he changes into a chick!
#24 Aug 03 2012 at 4:30 PM Rating: Good
*
64 posts
Cadant wrote:
Am I the only one who sees no point in them adding another tanking job when the current ones are useless at it?

How realistic is it that SE will rework the way enmity works so tanks can actually tank?

Im not sure tanking really changed much, what i believe changed is how people played dd jobs. Back in the days tanking was a gro
up effort. When i tanked years ago i always layed rules down in pt such as no ws before the 2nd voke. It certainly helped keep the
flow of exp up
#25 Aug 03 2012 at 4:46 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
257 posts
CelestianNinja wrote:
Cadant wrote:
Am I the only one who sees no point in them adding another tanking job when the current ones are useless at it?

How realistic is it that SE will rework the way enmity works so tanks can actually tank?

Im not sure tanking really changed much, what i believe changed is how people played dd jobs. Back in the days tanking was a gro
up effort. When i tanked years ago i always layed rules down in pt such as no ws before the 2nd voke. It certainly helped keep the
flow of exp up


Whoever hits the mob the fastest to recap their enmity is the tank now though. Everyone is sitting with capped enmity it makes it impossible for someone to gain more to take hate back
____________________________

#26 Aug 03 2012 at 5:32 PM Rating: Excellent
is Happy on Friday!
*****
12,443 posts
Cadant wrote:
CelestianNinja wrote:
Cadant wrote:
Am I the only one who sees no point in them adding another tanking job when the current ones are useless at it?

How realistic is it that SE will rework the way enmity works so tanks can actually tank?

Im not sure tanking really changed much, what i believe changed is how people played dd jobs. Back in the days tanking was a gro
up effort. When i tanked years ago i always layed rules down in pt such as no ws before the 2nd voke. It certainly helped keep the
flow of exp up


Whoever hits the mob the fastest to recap their enmity is the tank now though. Everyone is sitting with capped enmity it makes it impossible for someone to gain more to take hate back

Honestly, it's a combination of both points. Yes, DD style has change significantly, to the point that melees don't hold back at all now, and don't learn when they should know to hold back. However, the other major issue is that enmity generation has not scaled well post 75. DDs are capable of dealing more and more damage, and that leads to more and more hate, and while the damage -> enmity ratio has decreased as the average level of target increased (target level determines how much enmity your hits generate), it's a matter of decreasing returns, in that the higher the monster's level, the less the decrease in enmity from the previous level. At 75, we were converting damage to enmity at a rate of 1:1.25~1.45ish, depending on the target (that covers a range of levels 80~95), the decrease for monsters at level 99 is significantly smaller (I don't have any concrete charts, but based on kanikan's tables, it's fairly easy to figure it to around 1:1.1~1.2ish). On top of that, enmity loss (ie: how much enmity you lose when you get hit) doesn't scale with level, but with max HP, and while the average HP has increased somewhat, it hasn't changed significantly. Additionally, it has a similar relation of diminishing returns. Basically, tanks are still losing enmity at the same rate as they did at 75, but the increase in melee damage has totally outstripped the decrease in enmity generated based on level, so DDs are simply generating significantly more enmity now, to the point that it's incredibly easy for them to cap hate.
____________________________
Theytak, Siren Server
LOLGAXE IS MY ETERNAL RIVAL!

Reiterpallasch wrote:
Glitterhands wrote:
Am I the only one who clicked on this thread expecting actual baby photos [of Jinte]? o.O

Except if it were baby photos, it would be like looking at before and afters of Michael Jackson. Only instead of turning into a white guy, he changes into a chick!
#28 Aug 03 2012 at 7:09 PM Rating: Excellent
****
5,585 posts
CelestianNinja wrote:
Cadant wrote:
Am I the only one who sees no point in them adding another tanking job when the current ones are useless at it?

How realistic is it that SE will rework the way enmity works so tanks can actually tank?

Im not sure tanking really changed much, what i believe changed is how people played dd jobs. Back in the days tanking was a group effort. When i tanked years ago i always layed rules down in pt such as no ws before the 2nd voke. It certainly helped keep the flow of exp up

Unfortunately, that flow of exp you refer to was probably 6k/hour. By contrast, a good merit party in the post-dedicated-tank era would kill the mob by the time the voke timer was up.
____________________________
Lyonheart, like Eorzia, will be reborn in FFXIV!

FFXI veteran (Lyonheart and Lakiskline of Lakshmi)
1/467 on signed HQ Weskit!!!
#29 Aug 03 2012 at 9:23 PM Rating: Decent
*
64 posts
Lady Jinte wrote:
Cadant wrote:
CelestianNinja wrote:
Cadant wrote:
Am I the only one who sees no point in them adding another tanking job when the current ones are useless at it?

How realistic is it that SE will rework the way enmity works so tanks can actually tank?

Im not sure tanking really changed much, what i believe changed is how people played dd jobs. Back in the days tanking was a gro
up effort. When i tanked years ago i always layed rules down in pt such as no ws before the 2nd voke. It certainly helped keep the
flow of exp up


Whoever hits the mob the fastest to recap their enmity is the tank now though. Everyone is sitting with capped enmity it makes it impossible for someone to gain more to take hate back

Honestly, it's a combination of both points. Yes, DD style has change significantly, to the point that melees don't hold back at all now, and don't learn when they should know to hold back. However, the other major issue is that enmity generation has not scaled well post 75. DDs are capable of dealing more and more damage, and that leads to more and more hate, and while the damage -> enmity ratio has decreased as the average level of target increased (target level determines how much enmity your hits generate), it's a matter of decreasing returns, in that the higher the monster's level, the less the decrease in enmity from the previous level. At 75, we were converting damage to enmity at a rate of 1:1.25~1.45ish, depending on the target (that covers a range of levels 80~95), the decrease for monsters at level 99 is significantly smaller (I don't have any concrete charts, but based on kanikan's tables, it's fairly easy to figure it to around 1:1.1~1.2ish). On top of that, enmity loss (ie: how much enmity you lose when you get hit) doesn't scale with level, but with max HP, and while the average HP has increased somewhat, it hasn't changed significantly. Additionally, it has a similar relation of diminishing returns. Basically, tanks are still losing enmity at the same rate as they did at 75, but the increase in melee damage has totally outstripped the decrease in enmity generated based on level, so DDs are simply generating significantly more enmity now, to the point that it's incredibly easy for them to cap hate.
I agree 100%
#30 Aug 03 2012 at 9:25 PM Rating: Decent
*
64 posts
svlyons wrote:
CelestianNinja wrote:
Cadant wrote:
Am I the only one who sees no point in them adding another tanking job when the current ones are useless at it?

How realistic is it that SE will rework the way enmity works so tanks can actually tank?

Im not sure tanking really changed much, what i believe changed is how people played dd jobs. Back in the days tanking was a group effort. When i tanked years ago i always layed rules down in pt such as no ws before the 2nd voke. It certainly helped keep the flow of exp up

Unfortunately, that flow of exp you refer to was probably 6k/hour. By contrast, a good merit party in the post-dedicated-tank era would kill the mob by the time the voke timer was up.

Yesterdays exp parties per mob as far as time to kill prob about the same as todays NMs... Round about
#31 Aug 03 2012 at 10:54 PM Rating: Good
is Happy on Friday!
*****
12,443 posts
Zelduh wrote:
I end up tanking 99% of the time I'm in a group event on PUP. Even in Voidwatch.

Sure you do, champ. You start backing up your comments with proof and we'll start taking them seriously.
____________________________
Theytak, Siren Server
LOLGAXE IS MY ETERNAL RIVAL!

Reiterpallasch wrote:
Glitterhands wrote:
Am I the only one who clicked on this thread expecting actual baby photos [of Jinte]? o.O

Except if it were baby photos, it would be like looking at before and afters of Michael Jackson. Only instead of turning into a white guy, he changes into a chick!
#33 Aug 04 2012 at 1:49 AM Rating: Excellent
Zelduh wrote:
Proof: the fact that it happens. Do I need to screenshot it or something?


I think she's meaning along the lines of something tangible that we can see. Simply saying that you tank 99% of the time against high-end monsters and not actually having any way of showing that kind makes it hard for people to accept, especially given that "tanking" in those situations is who swings the fastest after they reach the hate cap so that the mob is constantly turning back towards you.

If anyone were to successfully be able to tank a high-end Voidwatch mob for 99% of the fight, I'd sooner chalk it up to everyone else in the alliance being subpar, because even an average melee should be able to reach the hate cap and have a high enough attack rate to tank it for a portion of the time.

Edited, Aug 4th 2012 3:54am by Vlorsutes
____________________________
Lady Jinte wrote:

Vlorsutes' Negotiation Skill rises 0.2 points
Vlorsutes' Observant Parent Skill rises 0.3 points
Vlorsutes' Argument Diffusing Skill rises 0.1 points


My thoughts and reviews on all sorts of sci-fi stuff...and things.
#34 Aug 04 2012 at 10:11 PM Rating: Good
***
1,726 posts
Quote:
Quote:
Mizuki wrote:
Although we do not intend to add any new types of weapons, we will add “Bell” instruments for Geomancers.


Smiley: dubious


I think the developer meant they are adding no new weapon types, instead putting new weapons under the umbrella of another weapon by name. In this case, they seem to mean Bell will not be a new weapon type, instead being classified as an Instrument.
____________________________
=================================================
Somewhere out there, there is a road with 2 signs on it. One says "No Trespassing". The sign right next to it says "FREE KITTENS".
=================================================
#35 Aug 05 2012 at 12:43 AM Rating: Excellent
Quote:
Although we do not intend to add any new types of weapons, we will add “Bell” instruments for Geomancers.


This answer takes on added meaning if you were unfortunate enough to play through some of the early seasonal events of FFXIV.

Please, no bells in FFXI!!!
____________________________
Thayos Redblade
Veritas
Sargatanas
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 84 All times are in CDT
Fynlar, hyunkyl, KlausVolka, Anonymous Guests (81)