Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Playing FFXI on your PlayStation 3: A primer:Follow

#1 Apr 21 2008 at 9:39 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
*
68 posts
I have seen many threads that ask the same question: Can I play FFXI on my PS3? The answer is maybe. This thread is designed to answer the end all be all questions about running FFXI on the PS3. I will break it down into individual steps to keep things simple.

Step 1: Determine what PlayStation 3 model you have.

Believe it or not, not every PS3 can play FFXI. Sony has decided to cut backwards compatibility on one of its models. But how do we determine what model you have? Quite simply, one can differentiate the model by the size of the hard disk in the unit. Below is a list of the models that can play FFXI:

Models that can play FFXI:

60gig Model
80gig Model

Models that can play FFXI with extra equipment:

20gig Model

The 20 gig model can play FFXI, but you are going to need a bigger hard drive. You can pick up a Notebook 2.5inch SATA drive from any computer outlet that's a decent size and run FFXI through that. (Credit to Finuve)

Check out this guide to swap out your hard drive. (Works for all PS3 models.)

http://www.gamersreports.com/article/43/

Models that can not play FFXI:

40gig Model

If you have the 40gig model, which doesn’t support PS2 backwards compatibility, you will not be able to run FFXI. If you have the 60gig, 80 gig, or an upgraded 20gig model, proceed to the next step.

Step 2: Configure your internet connection and update the Firmware.

This is also very simple to do. On the XMB (Main Menu) go to the settings menu. Then scroll all the way down to Network Settings. Then select internet Connection Settings. From here, select yes to continue on and select the type of connection you have. Finally, follow the on-screen instructions. Boom, you have an internet capable PS3. When the PS3 connects to the internet, odds are you need to update your firmware. To do this select Settings from the XMB and select System Update. Then follow the on-screen instructions. Proceed to step 3 once your PS3 reboots.

Step 3: Create a PSN account and download the PS2 system data.

To access the PSN store to get the PS2 system data you need a PSN account. To get one, just go to the Friends tab on your XMB, select sign up and fill out the forms. You do not have to have a credit card on file to get the file. After that’s all done and you are logged in, head to the PlayStation Store to get the PS2 system data. Click on "View by Title" -> "P" -> "PS2 System Data" -> "PS2 System Data (For HDD Titles)" -> "Download" and it should start downloading. After it is finished, go to the Game option in your XMB and select it to install it.

Step 4: Configure HDTV for PS2 games. (HDTVs ONLY)

The PS2 software will default to a 640x480 resolution for your PS2 games. Incidentally, this will look horrible on your HDTV. Sony placed an option to do a software upscale for PS2 games to make them look less blurry. If you have a HDTV, go to the Settings tab on your XMB and click on game settings. Enable the PS2 up-scaling option.

Step 5: Insert Vanna’deil collection 2008 DVD, or PlayOnline and Tetra Master DVD.

When the DVD is loaded in and tries to run, the PS3 says that this is a hard disk game and needs to partition a portion of your hard drive for PS2 data. Go ahead and let it do so. This process takes about 5-10 minutes. After that, POL will boot up, just follow the instructions on the screen. If you are installing each expansion individually, install them one by one.

Step 6: Configure POL internet connection.

When you boot POL off the hard disk for the first time it will ask you to set up your Ethernet connection. The default values should be able to log you in just fine as the game works off the PS3’s connection. Just be sure you are connected to the PSN before you boot up the game.

If you cannot connect with the default settings, exit out of POL and go to the Internet Setting in the XMB. Write down the primary DNS and Gateway numbers, then go back into POL and input these numbers there. (Credit to AngusX)

Step 7: Patch, Patch, and patch some more.

Self explanatory pretty much. Just go to the FFXI front page on POL and hit play. Patch the game.

Step 8: ???

Step 9: Profit!

Note on playing the game on multiple machines.
The POL accounts are universal. You can play on all 3 systems with the same account, characters, etc.

The 360 version requires you to tie it to a gamer-tag, but that doesn't prevent you playing the game on another machine or another 360 as long as you are logged into the gamer-tag.

You also may want to save your macro sets on the server, so you won't have to input them again on the new machine.

Hopefully this will end the redundant threads about playing FFXI on the PS3. If you have an issue, or have anything helpful to add to the guide, post it here and I will attempt to give you a hand.

Xyle

Edit: Sorry for the delay...stupid finals. Added 20gig information (Thanks Finuve) and added information about the exact location of PS2 system data in the new PlayStation Store.

Edit: Added another method for connecting to POL through the PS3 (Thanks AngusX!)

Edit: Added note about multiple machines.


Edited, Apr 24th 2008 8:38pm by neootaku

Edited, Apr 30th 2008 12:01am by neootaku
____________________________
[ffxisig]59651[/ffxisig]
#2 Apr 21 2008 at 9:41 AM Rating: Decent
Good guide! Smiley: grin

I wish using a controller was easier than my keyboard. I'm just too used to the **** thing. Smiley: glare

Also:
neootaku wrote:
Hopefully this will end the redundant threads about playing FFXI on the PS3. If you have an issue, post it here and I will attempt to give you a hand.

The stickies at the top of the page don't stop redundant threads, as much as I wish this was true, I highly doubt it. Smiley: cry
____________________________
Viseziox wrote:
I think you're a forum ****

Fancy Shmancy Wiki

[ffxisig]186182[/ffxisig]
#3 Apr 21 2008 at 9:44 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
**
873 posts
I've always been interested in this, but I have silly questions.
Namely... I assume you can use the same account on PC, and PS3... But are there any problems from switching back and forth?

Thanks for the guide, either way.
____________________________
Key ▪ Leviathan
MNK 75 ▪ RNG 72 ▪ DRG 57 ▪ THF 44 ▪ PLD 43 ▪ NIN 40
DRK 38 ▪ DNC 37 ▪ WHM 37 ▪ WAR 37 ▪ SAM 37 ▪ BLU 37
#4 Apr 21 2008 at 9:47 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
*
68 posts
"Aneirin" wrote:
I've always been interested in this, but I have silly questions.
Namely... I assume you can use the same account on PC, and PS3... But are there any problems from switching back and forth?

Thanks for the guide, either way.


The POL accounts are universal. You can play on all 3 systems with the same account, characters, etc.

The 360 version requires you to tie it to a gamer-tag, but that doesn't prevent you playing the game on another machine or another 360 as long as you are logged into the gamer-tag.

Added to op.

Xyle

Edited, Apr 21st 2008 1:53pm by neootaku
____________________________
[ffxisig]59651[/ffxisig]
#5 Apr 21 2008 at 10:27 AM Rating: Excellent
To add to that question (being someone that can play on both PC and PS3). The only real issue, is that items get unsorted when swapping. Also sometimes changes made in the configuration menu on one or the other system can sometimes cause things to be reset on the other. It's a minor inconvenience.

Edited, Apr 21st 2008 2:28pm by chluke
____________________________
[ffxisig]66820[/ffxisig]

Mr. Brown can moo, can you?
Kappachan can moo!
#6 Apr 21 2008 at 12:37 PM Rating: Excellent
Sage
**
684 posts
Addendum to Step 6: If you cannot connect with the default settings, exit out of POL and go to the Internet Setting in the XMB. Write down the primary DNS and Gateway numbers, then go back into POL and input these numbers there.


BTW, I use the Logitech Cordless Desktop S 510 keyboard; works great with FFXI.

Edited, Apr 21st 2008 1:40pm by AngusX
____________________________
I think you've been smoking the Moko...
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/350413/
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/1628942/
http://www.nerdist.com/
Angus of Cerberus (retired)
#7 Apr 21 2008 at 2:44 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
*
68 posts
"AngusX" wrote:
Addendum to Step 6: If you cannot connect with the default settings, exit out of POL and go to the Internet Setting in the XMB. Write down the primary DNS and Gateway numbers, then go back into POL and input these numbers there.

BTW, I use the Logitech Cordless Desktop S 510 keyboard; works great with FFXI.


Never ran into that issue in particular, but it could happen.

Updated op and placed credit where credit was due. Thanks!

Xyle
____________________________
[ffxisig]59651[/ffxisig]
#8 Apr 21 2008 at 2:51 PM Rating: Good
sticky this please Smiley: hk
____________________________
[ffxisig]11062[/ffxisig]

Quadkit wrote:
Why the @#%^ is lenwegg Scholar?


Belkira wrote:
I am sleepy. I think it was Lenwegg's ding thread.


#9 Apr 21 2008 at 5:30 PM Rating: Good
12 posts
So wait let me get this straight, if I play on the 360, I can also play on the PC with the same account? /cheer! :]
#10 Apr 21 2008 at 7:11 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
Avatar
**
785 posts
to answer a question of the OPs

the 20 GB system CAN PLAY ffxi

they cut from the 20 GB system:
Memory card slots
Wifi
Chrome trim

the 20 GB system DOES have the Emotion Engine Chip in it though, since it was created along side the 60 GB

for those who don't know the emotion engine was a chip used for hardware emulated backwards compatibility, the 80GB version uses software emulation

the problem with FFXI and the 20 GB system is it requires 11GB to install, with PS3 games requiring installations this just becomes inconceivable

so if u wanna play ffxi on the 20GB version, ur gonna wanna upgrade the HDD, the PS3 uses a standard 2.5inch SATA drive, same as laptops, and it has an easy back up and restore option for swapping the drives

Edited, Apr 21st 2008 11:12pm by Finuve
#11 Apr 24 2008 at 4:24 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
*
68 posts
"Finuve" wrote:
to answer a question of the OPs

the 20 GB system CAN PLAY ffxi

they cut from the 20 GB system:
Memory card slots
Wifi
Chrome trim

the 20 GB system DOES have the Emotion Engine Chip in it though, since it was created along side the 60 GB

for those who don't know the emotion engine was a chip used for hardware emulated backwards compatibility, the 80GB version uses software emulation

the problem with FFXI and the 20 GB system is it requires 11GB to install, with PS3 games requiring installations this just becomes inconceivable

so if u wanna play ffxi on the 20GB version, ur gonna wanna upgrade the HDD, the PS3 uses a standard 2.5inch SATA drive, same as laptops, and it has an easy back up and restore option for swapping the drives


Thanks for the information and sorry about the slow response. Edited op with information and a guide to upgrading your hard drive. Also added information about the PS2 system data in the new store.

Finals are killing me.

Xyle

Edited, Apr 24th 2008 8:24pm by neootaku
____________________________
[ffxisig]59651[/ffxisig]
#12 Apr 25 2008 at 11:58 AM Rating: Excellent
*
80 posts
Nice, thanks!
____________________________
Shiva Server
LS: DeathIsInevitable(Leader)<---sadly is no longer a LS due to my idiocy -_-
LS now: ExcessiveForce

I killed the Messenger...

YOU'RE MY BOY BLUE!
#13 Apr 26 2008 at 12:53 AM Rating: Good
5 posts
nice guide, but does it work on an european ps3 with 60gig?
i have the game with all addons for pc, but i would like to play it just for fun on my ps3. will the ntsc version work on my ps3? if yes, will i need to buy the game with all addons for ps2 again, only to install it on the ps3, or is there a way to download the game datas without buysing the dvds? thx in advance
#14 Apr 26 2008 at 11:58 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
68 posts
Yojinbo wrote:
nice guide, but does it work on an european ps3 with 60gig?
i have the game with all addons for pc, but i would like to play it just for fun on my ps3. will the ntsc version work on my ps3? if yes, will i need to buy the game with all addons for ps2 again, only to install it on the ps3, or is there a way to download the game datas without buysing the dvds? thx in advance
You are going to have to buy the PAL PS2 version to play it on your European PS3 if I'm not mistaken.

Xyle

Edited, Apr 26th 2008 3:58pm by neootaku
____________________________
[ffxisig]59651[/ffxisig]
#15 Apr 26 2008 at 9:06 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
487 posts
Quote:
the 20 GB system DOES have the Emotion Engine Chip in it though, since it was created along side the 60 GB

for those who don't know the emotion engine was a chip used for hardware emulated backwards compatibility, the 80GB version uses software emulation

the emotion engine was the MIPS cpu that was actually in the ps2. what sony did with the 20 and 60 gb models were simply to put the CPU and the GPU from the ps2 into the ps3, so basically you did have a ps2 within your ps3 hardware-wise. there is absolutely no emulation in these models, so i dont really know what you mean by "hardware emulated"

with the 80gb model, they left the GPU in there (graphics synthesizer) but removed the emotion engine CPU, and let the ps3 handle the processing. the GPU was still left to handle the graphics data though, none of that is emulated in the 80gb model so ps2 games arent COMPLETELY emulated in the 80 gigs.

Edited, Apr 27th 2008 6:23am by XxmutinyxX
#16 Dec 06 2008 at 9:44 AM Rating: Default
2 posts
I just picked up a ps3 it's not one of the b/c models sadly but was wondering if i could install/play ffxi on it via download since ffxi can be downloaded now or am i out of luck and gotta keep playin on ps2?
#17 Dec 06 2008 at 9:18 PM Rating: Excellent
Sage
**
684 posts
No chance, PS2 onry for now.
____________________________
I think you've been smoking the Moko...
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/350413/
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/1628942/
http://www.nerdist.com/
Angus of Cerberus (retired)
#18 Dec 07 2008 at 5:13 AM Rating: Good
12 posts
neootaku wrote:
You are going to have to buy the PAL PS2 version to play it on your European PS3 if I'm not mistaken.


I'm pretty certain that FFXI has never been released on PS2 in the PAL territories, it certainly hasn't been here in the UK, I had to buy a 360 to get my FFXI console fix (mainly for the large HDTV)

Also I have not seen the PS2 HD update in the PS store here in UK either
#19 Dec 07 2008 at 7:39 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
*
203 posts
Sad for our Euro friends, really. Square Enix gave them the shaft on PS2 availability, so there is no chance for Europe to play it on the PS3 as of yet.

Another thing that is irking me. The new 80 and 160 gb PS3s will not go backwards compatible at all for PS2 games. Even with the PS2 loader for HDD games. It seems that the download is specific to model number, so you better have an older version of the 20, 60, or 80 gb system. Sony's online sight, and the back of the boxes even tell you if you can or cannot use PS2 games on them.

From what I've heard, the 60 gb machine of yore seemed to have the least problems in setting up for PS2 FFXI play. Also, finding an older 60 gb machine online, they sell for as much, if not a little more, than the $499.99 that it costs for the current non-backwards compatible to PS2 games 80 gb PS3s. Yeah, it really sucks. What Square Enix should do is make an actual PS3 download or Blue Ray Disc of the game. Sadly, I can see them not doing so due to costs of Blue Ray, and they like to keep the price FFXI install disks to $20 to $40 instead of the $60 a pop for Blue Ray discs.

So yeah. After jumping through a lot of hoops to find out if I can get a backwards compatible machine to justify getting a PS3, my wife and I are probably not getting one unless they have backwards compatibility in the newer systems again(very unlikely at this time), or the price for an older 60 gb model goes lower in price than $500. Until then, we'll stick to our old PS2 with keyboard, laptop with numeric keypad and controller, and PC with controller.
____________________________
FFXI: Jackvanelraton, Hume Lv.99 Blue Mage of Bastok.
Guild Wars: Jack Van Elraton, Lv.20 Ranger/Monk.
Guild Wars 2: Jack Van Elraton, Human Lv.80 Engineer.

I'm loving this Tyria place almost as much I love it back in Vana'diel.
#20 Dec 07 2008 at 10:36 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
125 posts
Elraton wrote:
Sad for our Euro friends, really. Square Enix gave them the shaft on PS2 availability, so there is no chance for Europe to play it on the PS3 as of yet.

Another thing that is irking me. The new 80 and 160 gb PS3s will not go backwards compatible at all for PS2 games. Even with the PS2 loader for HDD games. It seems that the download is specific to model number, so you better have an older version of the 20, 60, or 80 gb system. Sony's online sight, and the back of the boxes even tell you if you can or cannot use PS2 games on them.

From what I've heard, the 60 gb machine of yore seemed to have the least problems in setting up for PS2 FFXI play. Also, finding an older 60 gb machine online, they sell for as much, if not a little more, than the $499.99 that it costs for the current non-backwards compatible to PS2 games 80 gb PS3s. Yeah, it really sucks. What Square Enix should do is make an actual PS3 download or Blue Ray Disc of the game. Sadly, I can see them not doing so due to costs of Blue Ray, and they like to keep the price FFXI install disks to $20 to $40 instead of the $60 a pop for Blue Ray discs.

So yeah. After jumping through a lot of hoops to find out if I can get a backwards compatible machine to justify getting a PS3, my wife and I are probably not getting one unless they have backwards compatibility in the newer systems again(very unlikely at this time), or the price for an older 60 gb model goes lower in price than $500. Until then, we'll stick to our old PS2 with keyboard, laptop with numeric keypad and controller, and PC with controller.


Its actually not the fact that the games are on Bluray discs that keep SE from releasing a PS3 version. The game would have to be compiled/programmed for the PS3 architecture. The way the older PS3s can do it is via software emulation provided by Sony or actual PS2 hardware in the PS3 (first gen PS3s).
#21 Dec 08 2008 at 3:37 AM Rating: Good
*
138 posts
I really wish there was a way to upgrade the PS2 graphics to be at least equal to the Xbox 360 or PC versions. It could be just a patch or something even, not even needing to come on a dvd or Blu Ray disc.
____________________________
FFXIV: Kilill Kramm - Gysahl
Miqo'te pugilist

FFXI: Kaerwyn - Garuda
Mithra (WHM SCH BLU)

FFXI: Kilill - Garuda
Mithra (Ninja monk)
#22 Jan 26 2011 at 7:00 PM Rating: Decent
***
1,085 posts
Hello,

I just got a PS3 that has the backward compatibility (80GB version). I have PlayOnline installed and am now installing the original DVD (Final Fantasy XI and Zilart).

I'm having one issue, though, and am wondering if anyone has had it and if someone knows of a solution.

PlayOnline is not recognizing the wired USB keyboard I'm using. It works find in the PS3 XMB mode, but while in the PS2 game mode it isn't showing up / responding.

Thanks!
Necro Warning: This post occurred more than thirty days after the prior, and may be a necropost.
#23 Jan 26 2011 at 11:58 PM Rating: Excellent
**
353 posts
I'll bite, as this happened to me too.

Quote:

I just got a PS3 that has the backward compatibility (80GB version). I have PlayOnline installed and am now installing the original DVD (Final Fantasy XI and Zilart).

I'm having one issue, though, and am wondering if anyone has had it and if someone knows of a solution.

PlayOnline is not recognizing the wired USB keyboard I'm using. It works find in the PS3 XMB mode, but while in the PS2 game mode it isn't showing up / responding.


What I found was that when the PS2 software boots up, it disconnects all controllers / keyboards / anything in the USB spots.
Usually what fixed it was simply unplugging the keyboard before booting up POL then plugging it in after it loads.
this will make the PS2 software 'find' the new hardware.
____________________________
My brother is an Emo-DRK, I am a kind PLD.
Go figure.

Monks do it with their hands.
Scholars do it in the classroom.
Puppetmasters do it with dolls.
Ninjas do it and then disappear.
Thieves do it then run away.
#24 Feb 22 2013 at 2:48 PM Rating: Default
10 posts
how and where do you find dns and gateway numbers to plug in to I have ps3 60 gb version? my ps2 version run great but the ps3 version about 2min later it gets droped.
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 107 All times are in CDT
dittman, klausneck, MouserRDM, Prim, Anonymous Guests (103)