Inspired by this thread, I decided to put together a list of 15 reasons why the job I play is the best job in the entire game.
1) My job can wield many different weapons, can tank well and also play damage-dealer effectively. I skillchain well and get some fantastic job abilities to enhance my already awesome great axe. I am the king of warfare, the battlefield is my kingdom. I am a warrior.
2) My job puts out the most impressive damage-over-time ratio of any class in the game. I hit hard, fast and often. During the end-game levels, I am the most powerful damage-dealer in the game on one of the key high-level EXP enemies. And throughout the game, the higher my level goes the better I get. I walk the silent path, and even the mightiest tremble in my wake. I am a monk.
3) My job deals the most impressive one-off damage throughout most of the game. My function in a group allows everyone else to hit harder, nuke faster and cure more often. I can make a bad tank adequate and a good tank fantastic. I'm one of the best pullers in the game, too. I'll stab you in the back and pass the blame off on someone else. I am a thief.
4) My job is one of the most powerful and essential of any class. I make the enemy suffer, while making the melees attack faster and the mages have more MP to cast with. I support the party in ways other classes can only dream of. I'm the jack-of-all-trades, master of many. I am a red mage.
5) My class is so essential that parties will fight over who gets to invite me. I spend all my time keeping everyone else alive, without me everyone might as well take the shortcut to their homepoint. I am the spiritual and magical core, the lifeblood of every group. I am a white mage.
6) My class can deal damage in ways nobody else can compare with. Nobody magic bursts like I do, nobody can go up against HNMs like I can either. I'm the job that makes skillchains worth bothering with. I am the physical embodiment of distruction. I am a black mage
7) I'm built like a panzer tank, I absorb pain without even blinking. Nobody holds aggro like I do and nobody can take hits as well as I can. I protect the dark knights and dragoons with their paper-thin armour and the frail mages with their miserable vitality. Now you know what happens when the irresistable force meets the immovable object. I am a paladin.
8) I am the true badass of Vana'diel. When I crank it up nobody can compare with my offensive power. I'm every monster's death and every healer's worst nightmare. I wield some of the most powerful weapons in the game. I am...pain. I am a dark knight.
9) For fully two-thirds of the game, I can outdamage any other job if I put my mind to it. Later I just prove how versatile I am by going from pure damage-dealer to DD/healer hybrid. No other class can heal their party-members for as little MP as I can, especially not while pumping out very good damage at the same time. I am honour and tradition, courage and battle-hardened stoicism. I am a dragoon.
10) You have never seen damage the likes of what I can do. I build fast TP and my attacks are deadly. I'm an extremely good puller and can open some VERY powerful skillchains. The best answer to life's little problems is to throw me at them. I am a ranger.
11) With me around, you'll get TWO skillchains per fight. Double the skillchains, double the magic bursts. No class in the game can compare with my TP-generating powers. By the time some of you have enough TP to skillchain, I've probably already killed the enemy with my own. Noble, humble, poised and deadly... I am a samurai.
12) You other tanks actually get HIT?? Pfft. Amateurs. Why get hit when you can just dodge everything thrown at you? AND look good doing it? With me around, healers have time to go cook dinner and maybe catch a movie. You won't see me coming, you won't feel my blade. I am a ninja.
13) Need more MP? Invite me, and partake in my song of bounty. Elvaan depth-perception issues got you down? Invite me and you won't need glasses. Not killing the li'l critters fast enough? Invite me and prepare to be amazed. I am the oil that keeps the party running smoothly. Wait, scratch that, I'm the LIFE of the party. I am a bard.
14) I'm as good as any two party members, because I carry portable members with me at all times. I can skillchain like a samurai, magic burst like a dark knight, and heal like a white mage. I combine the best traits of several classes. And nothing, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING, can outdamage me when I unleash my two-hour ability. I am the door between the world of the corporeal and the world of the astral. I am a summoner.
15) I don't NEED your invites. What it takes six of you to do I can accomplish all by myself. And, while I may not need YOUR help, I'm always happy to lend a hand if you need ME. I go places nobody else dares go, I see things you couldn't imagine. Fear has no place in my heart, only peace and solitude. I am a beastmaster.
The reason I wrote this out is because I wanted to say (hopefully in an entertaining and poetic way) that every job in this game is the master of its own specialty. I've played every one of the 15 jobs to some degree or another, and my job (read, every one of the 15) is the best job out there... at something. Nobody out-TPs a SAM. Nobody out-evades a NIN. Nobody out-heals a WHM. Nobody runs hate control like a THF. Nobody is as versatile as a WAR, or as supportive as a BRD, or as consistent as a MNK. There IS no "this job is better than that job" in this game. Every class is built around a certain strength, something they can do that no other class can. For some jobs, like WAR, their area of specialty is very broad and general. For others, like NIN, it's extremely focused.
So (in responce to the thread that inspired this post) if you're a MNK who deals a lot of damage, congratulations. That's why I invite you, to deal good, consistent damage over the course of the fight. I invite the DRKs to deal sharp spikes of damage, enfeeble the enemy with their unique debuffs, and be a great skillchain closer. I invite the THFs to lock hate onto the tank, freeing everyone else to do their thing. I invite the DRGs to do great damage while being a fantastic (practically built-from-the-ground-up) partner to my THFs. I invite the WARs to deal great damage, be really versatile for skillchain purposes, and be capable of tanking should the need arise. I invite the SAMs to do damage while allowing for even more magic-bursting opportunities for the mages. So you're the king of your demesne, damage-over-time. That's YOUR area of expertise, but the other 14 classes beat you out in THEIR areas of expertise. You're not better than them just because you're good at what you're supposed to be good at.
And that doesn't just apply to MNKs, either. I've seen WHMs who think they're princesses, DRKs who think other DDs are just redundant, RNGs who think they're the only DD class worth bothering with. The fact is, the only class in this game that could survive without the rest of you is BST, and if they were all by themselves it would be a very lonely game. So everyone needs everyone else. To think that you're somehow better than someone else just based upon what class you play is laughable. And it's insulting to the other classes, who are just as talented and skilled and important as yours. Yes, rangers deal awesome damage. But I'll take a smart, skilled, friendly SAM or DRG over an arrogant RNG any day. It doesn't matter what job you are, you are not the "key member" of your party. You are exactly 1/6th of your party. The other five people aren't there just to watch you and be amazed, you're all working towards a common goal. A well-played XXX/YYY is *always* going to be better than an ignorant **** of a QQQ/RRR. Doesn't matter what job, doesn't matter what sub, doesn't matter what race.
The moral of the story? Respect everyone else and you will be respected. :)
Edited, Aug 20th 2007 9:28:08am by Saboruto